Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

2 hours ago, RedskinsMayne said:

You bring up some good points, @MisterPinstripe. However, I'm arguing that you settle the dispute in courts and in the media rather than on the street. I'm also arguing that you make Police body cameras mandatory and recording 24:7 and that you give any citizen stopped by police the ability to request the video be saved and given to them.  I'm not sure if the legalities as far as if a cop can tell you to stop recording or not, but if not you'd have evidence of that since you'll have them on camera already?

Cops might not have the legal right to stop anyone on the street, but they have the practical right. What constitutes a "suspicious person"? Whatever the cop subjectively decides is suspicious. The same way that a cop can as a practical matter search your car, despite you not giving permission. All the gotta say is "I smell weed" and walllahh they have probable cause.

I am all for settling it in courts, thats how it should be dealt with. But if people arent standing up for their rights with police there will be nothing to take to court or to the media. I would be happy with police body cams if they actually seemed to always be on and accessible by people. But it seems like too often it either wasnt on or the footage was "lost", which is why we shouldnt be relying on the police to provide the video of themselves as its a bit of a conflict of interest.

They have to have reasonable ARTICULATE suspicion of a crime to stop someone and detain them, and its stated that way so they cant just stop people because they say they are suspicious. They have no more right to hold someone on the street without that than you or I do. The law is stated that way so that it is not subjective, if the cop cant say what crime someone is suspected of they cant hold you legally.

Smelling weed is their easy way around that law because then they can say they suspect you of a crime, thats why they do that on occasion. But that basically is only going to come into effect during a traffic stop and doesnt impact most day to day interactions with police.

The only way I think it works is if an external body without connection to the police are the ones reviewing, documenting, and saving all of the data.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedskinsMayne said:

I know. There was also a case locally where the cop had a body cam but didn't have it recording. But having video and releasing it is a more realistic way of dealing with police than just saying "we shouldn't have police brutality" or yelling "I know my rights" while they slam your head into the concrete.

Even better than both of those solutions is to change the leadership/culture of these departments, fire the officers running around with over 5 reprimands or complaints on them, stop hiring certain types of people who harbor prejudices, and have mandatory quarterly psychological evaluations to rotate out officers who have been negatively affected by the job. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

68 years later.....racism and policing has change a bit.

Link: Groveland Four

So the police basically executed those boys for a crime they didn't commit. This is why some minorities don't want to "address the wrongs in court". Who says you're going to make it to court alive? Who says your life won't be ruined by the time you reach trial? If you don't have money, you're more likely to be forced to cop a plea deal so you don't lose your job, home, etc,., than actually defend yourself in court. 

@MisterPinstripe aren't most police interactions traffic stops????  Are you saying cops never stop people for no reason? 

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

Even better than both of those solutions is to change the leadership/culture of these departments, fire the officers running around with over 5 reprimands or complaints on them, stop hiring certain types of people who harbor prejudices, and have mandatory quarterly psychological evaluations to rotate out officers who have been negatively affected by the job. 

We don't live in utopia though. How can you tell if a person holds prejudices when you hire them? If you fired police officers with more than five complaints on them then you'd have no police officers... 

Edited by RedskinsMayne

Just now, RedskinsMayne said:

@MisterPinstripe aren't most police interactions traffic stops????

We don't live in utopia though. How can you tell if a person holds prejudices when you hire them? If you fired police officers with more than five complaints on them then you'd have no police officers... 

.....sounds like we need to hire a lot of new police officers. 

Also, you can tell how someone feels about groups of people in the interviewing process. I have three friends who've gone through it. None of them were hired. They all told me about three separate interviews and a polygraph. One of them had an investigator who called me and asked me questions about him and his integrity. Funny, that guy had never committed a crime a day in his life but they didn't hire him because his much older, estranged, adopted brother had been two prison twice. You would think that if they were putting this much work in on just one candidate, they would know if a candidate was racist or not. Maybe being racist against minorities isn't something they're worried about. 

When a yahoo uses a gun to rob a bank, and someone gets shot in a way that is CLEARLY an accident (say he drops the gun Barney Fife style, and it goes off and shoots somebody)... the yahoo is charged with attempted murder (or murder, if the victim is unfortunate enough to die).

if a cop makes a mistake, and accidentally shoots somebody in the line of duty... should he/she be charged in the same way?

Edited by mcsluggo

22 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

When a yahoo uses a gun to rob a bank, and someone gets shot in a way that is CLEARLY an accident (say he drops the gun Barney Fife style, and it goes off and shoots somebody)... the yahoo is charged with attempted murder (or murder, if the victim is unfortunate enough to die).

if a cop makes a mistake, and accidentally shoots somebody in the line of duty... should he/she be charged in the same way?

They should be charged with something, but it's not the same. The cop is doing his job, the other guy is committing a crime.  It would be more akin to a crane operator being careless with his rigging. The worst he can be charged with is manslaughter...

1 minute ago, mcsluggo said:

what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

It's pretty obvious. When you give people bad news you're more likely to get complaints.

Edited by RedskinsMayne

1 hour ago, RedskinsMayne said:

@MisterPinstripe aren't most police interactions traffic stops????  Are you saying cops never stop people for no reason? 

I can see why how I phrased it would be confusing. I am referring to the negative interactions with police, most of the incidents of police abusing their authority doesnt happen during a traffic stop. Its usually people walking around on foot. Police definitely stop people for no reason, but its not quite the same. Driving a car is not a right, so lots of states department of motor vehicles will require you to provide ID when operating a car or you will lose your license. That does depend on the state of course, but driving is not a right so different rules apply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

I'd say no, because the bank robber was committing a crime when his accident occurred, and the cop, we presume, wasn't committing a crime. I do think a cop who accidentally kills someone should be evaluated, but not treated the same as a criminal.

Now, if we're talking about one of these reckless mf'ers put on display in this thread, where they've chose really reckless actions like shooting at a fleeing vehicle in a residential neighborhood, shooting multiple magazines into an occupied vehicle, or jumping a civilian for daring to ask them to move their double parked vehicle. If someone dies while they are being reckless and stupid, treat them no different than the bank robber. 

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2017 at 10:00 AM, youngchew said:

"Don't shoot me" said the 13 y/o boy as he and his friends were being held at gunpoint by police in Grand Rapids. 

Apparently somebody "reported" that one of the boys had a gun, but police said there was no weapon found.

I'm so proud of the young men for complying, because arguing with cops, even if you've truly done nothing wrong, can get you killed.  

this really hurt my feelings. :(

they were on the ground crying.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

this really hurt my feelings. :(

they were on the ground crying.

It bothered me too.  A lot.

I'm aware of the situation and why the scene played out like it did...but still, man.  WTF :( 

2 hours ago, youngchew said:

It bothered me too.  A lot.

I'm aware of the situation and why the scene played out like it did...but still, man.  WTF :( 

Hard not to watch this and feel like you are watching it from the bad guys prospective. 

Dude got out of the car with the gun drawn. And it looks like he had the safety off too. What a ****. 

• Like 1

Not sure why he had to immediately draw his gun and terrify them half to death. Why not stop at a safe distance (which he did) and assess the situation first? Or hell, even draw his gun, stay behind his door and keep it out of site but at the low ready position while giving them instructions?

I don't even have the energy to be angry anymore, man.  It just breaks my ****ing heart.  Nothing has ever gotten to me before as much as this **** with these piece of **** police shooting people.  A 15 year old honor student.  Dead.  

Cop who shot at the car said the vehicle was in reverse and "moving aggressively" towards him.  Yet the body cam video showed the car moving away from the officer.  What in the god damn ****?  

Edited by Chew
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, youngchew said:

Cop who shot at the car said the vehicle was in reverse and "moving aggressively" towards him.  Yet the body cam video showed the car moving away from the officer.  What in the god damn ****?  

Suprised the body cam wasn't "malfunctioning" at the time. This would have just been swept under the rug and people would have taken the officers word. Plus we'd have had to read about how this kid wasn't an angel. Reading the article just has me filled with rage, disgust, and sadness. Why shoot at a car moving away from you? I really hope justice will be served.

They fled for about a block, Merritt said, before they noticed that there was smoke coming from Jordan’s head

How are you supposed to go live a normal life after experiencing this?

• Like 2