Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

1 hour ago, grego said:

i'll say this about Sheehan and his rant this morning.

a couple of years ago, when many people ripped the play calling under kyle, Sheehan was adamant that we shouldn't rip the playcalling, parlty cuz we had WRs and TEs wide open all over the field.

now, in defending kirk, hes blaming the play calling, even though we have WRs and TEs running wide open all over the field

Indeed, he should be consistent.

Our problem has almost always been the guy under center, regardless of who the guy scheming up and calling the plays was.  

Edited by justice98

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

taking calls from listeners is the worst part of sports talk IMO. They always start with at least one of these, but usually more than one. "Love the show", "I'll make this quick", "I just wanted to say". 

It's never quick or well thought out.

They should have a number for people to call and leave a 30sec voicemail. Kind of like PTI where they play the recording of somebody asking a question.....and then talk about it.

Biggest reason I quit listening. They always suggest preposterous ideas or are total idiots in general. 

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's usually people who can barely speak English--and not because they it's their second language--it's because the callers are ****ing morons.

If you can't fill a show without taking a ton of calls. Then you need a shorter show. Much rather have guests call in. Beat Reporters, "Experts", Athletes, Managers, etc. I don't care what some guy who has time to call in thinks. 

• Like 2

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

If you can't fill a show without taking a ton of calls. Then you need a shorter show. Much rather have guests call in. Beat Reporters, "Experts", Athletes, Managers, etc. I don't care what some guy who has time to call in thinks. 

Agreed--especially during the daytime. Most people with an ounce of sense in their head are at work--and really only have time to waste time on Twitter and message boards :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I always wonder about people that call in every day to sports radio.

I think I tried to call in one time about a decade ago on a long commute home.  BMitch was saying something crazy.  Sat on hold for a few minutes and hung up.  

I've called and gotten through a couple of times. It's typically when it's a hot take and the groundlings are taking the bait hook-line-and-sinker. If I wasn't at work, I would have called in this morning re: Bryce's health. Rizzo called the Verducci report "inaccurate." He did not say he was completely healthy.

9 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

That dude Ian (EYE-IN) drives me nuts whenever he calls in!  He calls into every show on 980 and the hosts always cringe when he starts to talk.

I think he calls in every single day.

I remember they got Marcus from College Park on 980 one time in 2012. That dude was annoying af. Him and that damn preacher.

If it were up to me I'd eliminate call-ins altogether. Every once in awhile you get a great, coherent, insightful call from a fan, only for the host to feel inferior and cut the call short or belittle them

• Like 2

I will give Czaban credit for his morning show: At least he seemed to be trying something different than just the hot take/interview format that nearly everyone else follows. He was basically trying a variation of Lebatard's show, which I think is the best sports show right now.

He had two problems:

1. That network he was on couldn't have sounded more second rate. From the stupid branding to the lazy production.

2. He was trying to do a personality show with some boring personalities. Lebatard has Stugotz who is maybe the best "character" I've ever heard on radio outside the Stern universe. Scott Lynn and that Sully guy were just guys doing radio. Their issues with satellite dishes and cell phones just don't compare to a maniac yelling at 10 year old female lacrosse players and selling Heat playoff tickets.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

If it were up to me I'd eliminate call-ins altogether. Every once in awhile you get a great, coherent, insightful call from a fan, only for the host to feel inferior and cut the call short or belittle them

That drives me nuts.  Pollin would do that, then he'd get some cheap shots in after he booted them.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I remember they got Marcus from College Park on 980 one time in 2012. That dude was annoying af. Him and that damn preacher.

Not to belabor a point, but Lebatard does texts and emails, not calls - except for the quick call in segments with Tim Kurkjian or Adam Schefter or that animal guy. I think that works really well, because you can actually do quality control. Nothing kills a show faster than "Um...I ain't no expert or nothing...but this team ain't that good, man" calls.

• Like 1

Oh, let me add something Czabe would do "This might be a dumb question" or the other mini-bits for people. That was kind of funny. Seemed like the people who got on were screened pretty well. They did "Superfriends" which each person on the show having a skill. When Galdi was on, I loved the old time Pro Wrestling questions that were clearly just testing his knowledge. 

Not sure if this belongs here since it deals with game coverage - but I started working a night, weekend job to make ends meet and listening to the Nats game from AM 1500 is the best. There's a local station in eastern NC that's part of the Nats radio network but hearing the hometown station helps make that job much less miserable if the Nats have a night game.

I must be really out of the loop, though, because I didn't know WTOP dropped its AM signal. That was a bit of a shock. They've had that station forever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
50 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Not really sport talk radio...but man.  Dan Steinberg and Tony Kornheiser have an interesting beef going on.  Tony was throwing shade and then Dan kinda went off (on twitter.)  This is where it all started:

Here Tony Kornheiser praises @barrysvrluga by subtweeting the hell out of me

CzkybjuVIAACeuK.jpg

I love how he always calls him cheese boy "lolol"

Speaking of sports radio, anybody hear the brief little heat check from Desmond Howard to ****head Polin on The Sports Reporters? 

Polin and Czabe together is just a massive mound of asshole

Glad Howard gave it to them a little bit

Dude was an electrifying Heisman winner, top pick, super bowl champ, super bowl map, and put his name in the football pantheon with the Heisman pose and one of the greatest postseason for a return man that I can remember.... And im sure Howard knows that the most. That's one he'll of a career alone right there

Can't believe Polin thought it would be funny to try and insinuate that the dude should somehow be ashamed.