Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN: Microsoft is Scrapping Internet Explorer

Zguy28

MSN: Microsoft is Scrapping Internet Explorer

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technologyinvesting/microsoft-is-scrapping-internet-explorer/ar-AA9ThZo?ocid=ansQuartz11

The end is finally in sight for Microsoft’s long-fraught Internet Explorer. At the Microsoft Convergence conference Monday in Atlanta, Chris Capossela, Microsoft’s head of marketing, said the new flagship browser for Windows, which was announced in January and is codenamed Project Spartan, will not be associated with the Internet Explorer brand.

While Internet Explorer will still exist on Windows 10 for compatibility purposes, it will take a back seat to the new browser.

Rest at link. And there was great rejoicing!

The article hits the nail on the head - the reputation of IE is the problem, and it's irreparable at this point.

I work in the IT field... it's amazing what I hear people say about browsers that's just not true. (actually, it's amazing what i hear people say about many things tech-related that just aren't true, including like 1/2 the people that work in the field...) Most people seem to be about 3-5 years behind the times, reciting things that are no longer true. I used to try to give them a more accurate view of how things are (when asked) with the major browsers, but I quickly found out that was a waste of time.

So when people say things about how insecure or terrible IE is I just nod my head and smile because anything else is a waste of time.

It's interesting to see situations where what people think is significantly more important than what reality is. This is definitely one of them. It goes right on the list with a bunch of apple-inspired incorrectness too.

That said I shed no tear for the death of Active-X.

I know one way Ask gets installed is when you do Java updates and just click Next>Next>Next all the way through. There are checkboxes there that default to install Ask. It's borderline malware. I think it does tracking, search provider redirection, and has processes running on your computer if it's installed. If you do a scan with malware scanners like Malwarebytes it will list Ask as a (PUP) Potentially Unwanted Program. If you have the Ask Toolbar or Ask Search app, you should uninstall it. It's pointless.

http://www.howtogeek.com/138516/the-shameful-saga-of-uninstalling-the-terrible-ask-toolbar/

I know one way Ask gets installed is when you do Java updates and just click Next>Next>Next all the way through. There are checkboxes there that default to install Ask. It's borderline malware. I think it does tracking, search provider redirection, and has processes running on your computer if it's installed. If you do a scan with malware scanners like Malwarebytes it will list Ask as a (PUP) Potentially Unwanted Program. If you have the Ask Toolbar or Ask Search app, you should uninstall it. It's pointless.

http://www.howtogeek.com/138516/the-shameful-saga-of-uninstalling-the-terrible-ask-toolbar/

I'd pay for Java to go away permanently.

The article hits the nail on the head - the reputation of IE is the problem, and it's irreparable at this point.

I work in the IT field... it's amazing what I hear people say about browsers that's just not true. (actually, it's amazing what i hear people say about many things tech-related that just aren't true, including like 1/2 the people that work in the field...) Most people seem to be about 3-5 years behind the times, reciting things that are no longer true. I used to try to give them a more accurate view of how things are (when asked) with the major browsers, but I quickly found out that was a waste of time.

So when people say things about how insecure or terrible IE is I just nod my head and smile because anything else is a waste of time.

It's interesting to see situations where what people think is significantly more important than what reality is. This is definitely one of them. It goes right on the list with a bunch of apple-inspired incorrectness too.

That said I shed no tear for the death of Active-X.

Its not just the reputation. I work in IT also, and IE has issues (just like all browsers). Especially IE 11. Its junk.

Its not just the reputation. I work in IT also, and IE has issues (just like all browsers). Especially IE 11. Its junk.

Would it be silly of me to suggest that programs like web browsers, email clients, and word processors should not have the ability to run programs on my computer?

Ok, MAYBE the ability to alter the appearance of the page being viewed. But not to install and run software? Not to access the hard drive?

Exactly. I work in the IT field as well. I don't know anyone that actually prefers IE as a browser. IMO, they're always a step behind what Mozilla and Google are doing. It's a good idea for them to start fresh with a new look, new name, and hopefully less frustration.

Well, the key is the "just like all browsers" part... which is what most people have trouble with.

And, speaking as someone with lots of programming, web development, helpdesk, and system administrator experience (i get around) a lot of the "Issues with IE 11" are issues with the people that developed the site... it seems like 80%+ of web developers have no idea how to properly develop a website these days.

I'll give them a little bit of slack in that it's not exactly easy developing a website for 4 different versions of 4+ browsers because people never upgrade their software/computers (part of this is thanks to the Federal Government :) )

But this idea that IE 11 is uniquely terrible compared to other browsers, and it's solely the fault of MS, is exactly what i'm talking about - it's not based on facts and reality.

That's not to imply that IE11 is some sort of flawless browser.

Would it be silly of me to suggest that programs like web browsers, email clients, and word processors should not have the ability to run programs on my computer?

Ok, MAYBE the ability to alter the appearance of the page being viewed. But not to install and run software? Not to access the hard drive?

I don't understand what you're asking for here...

I run into people that have to use IE for their daily business dealings, mostly lawyers and insurance people, especially the insurance folks. A lot of times IE11 won't work, especially with old web-based systems that insurance agencies seem to use. So it's compatibility mode, or backtracking by uninstalling the latest IE. I'm not a web guy or coder, but I do wonder why large insurance companies lag behind and haven't updated their systems to work with different browsers more quickly. Same with some of the lawyers I have to help, working with various web-based government/court systems. 

Good riddance.  

Ok, next question: is there any reason that Adobe Acrobat needs to update itself 13 times a week?   

yes... so that it can install the ASK taskbar.  right?

and.. i mostly prefer Bing to Google.

i am getting more and more pissed with google lately, i think that EVERY change they have made in teh last 3 or so years have made their products worse (seemingly ONLY to prop up the useless and already dead Google+ ? )

I don't understand what you're asking for here...

I thought I was pretty clear.

When I tell my web browser to visit "x.com/webpage", I should not have to worry that said web page will reference some other site, which references some third site, which references a fourth site, which contains instructions which tell my web browser to "download this program, and run it, and do whatever it says".

Clicking on an email should not be permission for my email client program to modify Windows.

The only reason for IE was for Microsoft to control your entire internet experience. At one point they were going to have IE add links from key words without permission from a website owner. In other words If you had a site you were using to direct traffic to *your* retail site, IE could add links to their own sites that were in competition with yours. The plan was to push IE on every windows user and from there push them towards sites Microsoft can profit from.

I'm proud to say that I had some small part in making todays news happen.

Good riddance.  

Ok, next question: is there any reason that Adobe Acrobat needs to update itself 13 times a week?   

Its such a bloated app. But anyway, its a double edged sword. Be glad on one hand that they release security fixes regularly, but be worried that a piece of software needs so many, so often. Between Java and Adobe products, they are the most attacked and exploited softwares on the planet.

I personally use Nitro Reader for PDF's. It can do some editing too.

I thought I was pretty clear.

When I tell my web browser to visit "x.com/webpage", I should not have to worry that said web page will reference some other site, which references some third site, which references a fourth site, which contains instructions which tell my web browser to "download this program, and run it, and do whatever it says".

Clicking on an email should not be permission for my email client program to modify Windows.

if your windows computer is set up correctly (IE: you didn't go messing with the default settings) that's not an issue.

this is exactly why MS introduced the UAC with windows vista.

the problem is a lot of home users just disable the UAC because they consider it "annoying", with no consideration to security of their machine. hell, there's a lot of IT departments that disable it because they're clueless and don't understand the vital role it plays in protecting a computer from exactly what you're describing.

you should have a separate admin account for additional security. the account you use your computer with should not have privileges to make those changes. while that's a Security 101 item, I don't blame a non-tech person for not understanding that. this another issue where there's many IT departments that don't even get this (which is inexcusable, but what can you do, people are just bad at their jobs and IT is no different.)

I run into people that have to use IE for their daily business dealings, mostly lawyers and insurance people, especially the insurance folks. A lot of times IE11 won't work, especially with old web-based systems that insurance agencies seem to use. So it's compatibility mode, or backtracking by uninstalling the latest IE. I'm not a web guy or coder, but I do wonder why large insurance companies lag behind and haven't updated their systems to work with different browsers more quickly. Same with some of the lawyers I have to help, working with various web-based government/court systems. 

the short answer:

bad decision makers in management/leadership positions and inadequate programmers/developers.

Good riddance.  

adobe started bundling all their stuff together a while back. most people have flash plug-ins (2, 1 active-x for IE 1 plug-in for firefox or another webkit based browser) and reader. depending on how you installed these you may also get update notices for adobe air. all combined, even though i get you're exaggerating, adobe has a real problem with their update framework and their software. they are a complete mess and among one of the worst tech companies out there. they get away with it because they don't have any competition, so we have no real choice. if anyone actually threatens them they just purchase that company and then turn it into crap (see: macromedia)

the short answer:

bad decision makers in management/leadership positions and inadequate programmers/developers.

adobe started bundling all their stuff together a while back. most people have flash plug-ins (2, 1 active-x for IE 1 plug-in for firefox or another webkit based browser) and reader. depending on how you installed these you may also get update notices for adobe air. all combined, even though i get you're exaggerating, adobe has a real problem with their update framework and their software. they are a complete mess and among one of the worst tech companies out there. they get away with it because they don't have any competition, so we have no real choice. if anyone actually threatens them they just purchase that company and then turn it into crap (see: macromedia)

Sorry bud, we ran into the same problems as have many in the Aerospace industry I support. Major financial and accounting systems, timekeeping, HR, etc. from big companies have problems with it. Trust me, we haven't gone past IE 10.

Archived