Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN: Microsoft is Scrapping Internet Explorer

Zguy28

Sorry bud, we ran into the same problems as have many in the Aerospace industry I support. Major financial and accounting systems, timekeeping, HR, etc. from big companies have problems with it. Trust me, we haven't gone past IE 10.

You're under the impression that "big companies" equates to not having poor management/leadership?

I have plenty of clients that work with big financial companies in various sectors. The ones they work with have problems because their websites aren't designed correctly.

I know this because my company also does web design, and it's possible to design web sites that work for multiple versions of browsers. Especially ones that have been out as long as IE11 has. IE11 has some issues - but bulk of the problem is with web developers that just aren't very good.

(PS - healthcare.gov was designed by one of the biggest companies in the country, and it was a complete disaster. big != high quality. especially in tech.)

new ms products normally take until version 3 to be solid :(

the fact that they're not basing it on webkit probably will not help. i can't wait for the various issues we're going to have with this browser and websites...

my issue isn't with the reasoning behind going in a different direction than using webkit, it's just that i have serious doubts about the way they'll actually go about it. we'll see...

if your windows computer is set up correctly (IE: you didn't go messing with the default settings) that's not an issue.

this is exactly why MS introduced the UAC with windows vista.

the problem is a lot of home users just disable the UAC because they consider it "annoying", with no consideration to security of their machine. hell, there's a lot of IT departments that disable it because they're clueless and don't understand the vital role it plays in protecting a computer from exactly what you're describing.

you should have a separate admin account for additional security. the account you use your computer with should not have privileges to make those changes. while that's a Security 101 item, I don't blame a non-tech person for not understanding that. this another issue where there's many IT departments that don't even get this (which is inexcusable, but what can you do, people are just bad at their jobs and IT is no different.)

So, I point out a security back donor which was deliberately added to IE, back when Windows 95 came out. (The web browser being given the ability to run programs. A capability which IT SHOULD NOT HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

And your response is to tell me about a new layer that Mucrosoft installed, on top on the capability which shouldn't be there, 20 years after they installed it. Tell me that I should deny capabilities TO MYSELF, to inhibit my web browser. And to condescendingly tell me that you forgive me for being a non-tech user who doesn't understand that.

It seems that my point may have been too complicated for non-tech people.

When I tell my web browser to display a web page, my browser should ask that web page (and any component of that web page) whether any of them would like the web browser to download software, and run said software, BECAUSE . . . .?

So, I point out a security back donor which was deliberately added to IE, back when Windows 95 came out. (The web browser being given the ability to run programs. A capability which IT SHOULD NOT HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

And your response is to tell me about a new layer that Mucrosoft installed, on top on the capability which shouldn't be there, 20 years after they installed it. Tell me that I should deny capabilities TO MYSELF, to inhibit my web browser. And to condescendingly tell me that you forgive me for being a non-tech user who doesn't understand that.

It seems that my point may have been too complicated for non-tech people.

When I tell my web browser to display a web page, my browser should ask that web page (and any component of that web page) whether any of them would like the web browser to download software, and run said software, BECAUSE . . . .?

Please explain this backdoor you speak of. I can't quite get what it is you're talking about. A back door that "allows Internet Explorer to run programs" ?

As for the local administrative rights issue - you can not like it all you want, its security 101.

I haven't used IE in years. Originally got away to use Chrome when it was in beta. Then I tired Firefox. Now I mostly use Chrome or Safari.

Bought a MacBook recently because Microsoft ruined the OS experience with Windows 8. So now I don't really use anything Microsoft at home any more. For browsing it's just Safari unless I need Chrome because Safari isn't compatable (seems to the the case with several online banking portals).

Google is the next Microsoft though. They are going to get too bloated and full of stuff that just slows down and interrupts the user experience. Possibly Apple as well, but they seem to be more vested in user experience overall.

Sorry bud, we ran into the same problems as have many in the Aerospace industry I support. Major financial and accounting systems, timekeeping, HR, etc. from big companies have problems with it. Trust me, we haven't gone past IE 10.

We had this issue as well when IE 11 came out. What we had to do to get around it, considering so many of the HR related systems needed IE, was to add our domain to Compatibility View Settings. 

Microsoft announced that they will be allowing Windows 7 and later users to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. This includes people with pirated/illegal copies of Windows. I've used 10 a little with a preview they let people download and install. It's a lot better than Windows 8.  

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/windows-10-upgrades-will-free-even-pirates-no-joke/

Microsoft announced that they will be allowing Windows 7 and later users to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. This includes people with pirated/illegal copies of Windows. I've used 10 a little with a preview they let people download and install. It's a lot better than Windows 8.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/windows-10-upgrades-will-free-even-pirates-no-joke/

It can't get much worse than Windows 8.

They are trying to link desktop and tablet experiences and they just aren't compatable. Makes for a jumbled mess of a bloated operating system.

It can't get much worse than Windows 8.

They are trying to link desktop and tablet experiences and they just aren't compatable. Makes for a jumbled mess of a bloated operating system.

The server OS (2012 & 2012 R2) is pretty nice though. The Windows volume deduplication feature saved us hundreds of thousands of dollars in storage.

Yeah, but how much did that Windows license cost? ;)

Not much. We have an Enterprise Agreement with them. Its actually not expensive for Standard edition. Where they get you is with SQL Server licensing. Holy cow its expensive! But still, MS's licensing is nowhere near as bad as Cisco. They require a license for every little option.

Archived