Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chip Kelly is occupying space in all of your heads

Westbrook36

All that talent?  You mean winning 10 games two seasons in a row with a backup QB playing for half the year both seasons (And finishing in the top 5 offensively both years) and one of the worst defenses in the NFL both season too?  Man what would the Eagles do without all of that talent?

I'm sorry, are you seriously suggesting winning 10 games without your starting QB is proof that your team didn't have talent?

I'm sorry, are you seriously suggesting winning 10 games without your starting QB is proof that your team didn't have talent?

No I'm suggesting they won with a backup QB and one of the worst defenses in the NFL.  Unless you think the Sanchise is talented.  That secondary probably was the worst in the NFL.  The only place they are void of any talent on offense is WR now.  McCoy for the same price as Murray/Sproles/Matthews seems fine to me.

Yeah, it's pretty much down to either or.  "Either" it works "or" it blows up in his face.  I know he said that they didn't plan on Mariotta, outside of a brief talk where it would cost them the future (e.g. a trade like we made for RGIII).  But honestly, I don't believe any coach/gm when they talk after the fact, in situations like this.

I don't see any head coach/gm trading a perfectly fine QB for one that is injury prone, unless they are trying to work some deal on the back end.  Unless, it is for a QB that fits their system better.  Foles, not mobile; Bradford, not mobile.  I think it backfired and he got stuck with a QB that he better hope stays healthy.  

I think he believes when healthy Bradford is a better QB than Foles.  Who knows.  I know there were a lot of butthurt mofos on the Eagles MB when he did trade the farm for Marioto lol.  Although I don't think he is looking for a mobile QB.  If he was he wouldn't have drafted Matt Barkley.

No I'm suggesting they won with a backup QB and one of the worst defenses in the NFL.  Unless you think the Sanchise is talented.  That secondary probably was the worst in the NFL.  The only place they are void of any talent on offense is WR now.  McCoy for the same price as Murray/Sproles/Matthews seems fine to me.

Once again, you mocked the idea that the Eagles had "all that talent" because they won 10 games with a back-up QB. 

If you were trying to not make any sense, you did a helluva job.

I think he believes when healthy Bradford is a better QB than Foles.  Who knows.  I know there were a lot of butthurt mofos on the Eagles MB when he did trade the farm for Marioto lol.  Although I don't think he is looking for a mobile QB.  If he was he wouldn't have drafted Matt Barkley.

Yeah but your missing a very key piece to your argument.  The NFC East has been garbage the last 2 years.  The Redskins/Giants have been a complete nonfactor those years.  Well see with the Redskins but it appears the Giants may finally wake up this year.  Coupled with Dallas.......it's only getting harder for Chip Kelly.  His year to shine was 2 years ago when you lost a burner to the Saints.  

Yeah but your missing a very key piece to your argument.  The NFC East has been garbage the last 2 years.  The Redskins/Giants have been a complete nonfactor those years.  Well see with the Redskins but it appears the Giants may finally wake up this year.  Coupled with Dallas.......it's only getting harder for Chip Kelly.  His year to shine was 2 years ago when you lost a burner to the Saints.  

That's the funniest part about it.  The Giants came out of nowhere and won two super bowls.  Like I said I no idea what to expect honestly.  Wow I've lurked here since 2004 and this thread probably has 50% of my posting history lol.

All that talent?  You mean winning 10 games two seasons in a row with a backup QB playing for half the year both seasons (And finishing in the top 5 offensively both years) and one of the worst defenses in the NFL both season too?  Man what would the Eagles do without all of that talent?

theres alot i want to say in response to this. 

first, foles was technically a backup to vick, and sanchez was a backup to foles. true enough, but you say it like it was a detriment that the backups were playing after foles had a ridiculous season in '13, and sanchez's performance practically mirrored foles the first half of '14.

the offense was top 5 in total yards,  but total yards isnt always a great indicator of offensive effectiveness. (redskins defense of a few years ago comes to mind). 

2013 could hardly have been better for the O. in 2014, the O unquestionably took a step back.

according to football outsiders offensive efficiency ratings, the eagles were #2 in 2013 and #13 in 2014. the defense was 23rd in 2013 and improved to 10. now, we can **** and debate their rankings, but there are numbers to back that up.  yards per play, points per game, turnovers- all these things took a step back. 

meanwhile, everyone likes to crap on the defense. chip kelly doesnt value things like time of possession- he doesnt care if his D is on the field longer than any other team in the league. of course, statistically, the D will suffer. meanwhile, they accounted for more TDs than any other D in the league. the eagles special teams, likewise, accounted for more TD's than any other in the league. not halfway through the season, the eagles had scored 7 non offensive TD's.

you compared deseans numbers in 2013 with maclins in 2014, but youre not accounting for jacksons effect on things like lesean mccoys production, which also took a hit in 2014.

it ought to be a concern that kelly almost always has lost to playoff teams. why did his team fold at the end of the season? were they gassed? several players have said so. the eagles couldnt beat a terrible redskins team with the playoffs on the line. how is that possible?

wish i could find all the stats (ive posted them before somewhere in this forum), but i've gotta get back to work. i'm just amazed at the number of people who feel like the eagles are fine (i know you have said youre not sure), that kellys moves are all genius, that if they just fix the D, etc. 

the eagles are trending downward offensively, and i dont think trading foles for bradford, mccoy for murray and getting rid of maclin and jackson while keeping the likes of riley cooper around is going to fix it. 

you compared deseans numbers in 2013 with maclins in 2014, but youre not accounting for jacksons effect on things like lesean mccoys production, which also took a hit in 2014.

In 2013 the offensive line started all 16 games with nobody injured.  In 2014 they had 10 different starters on the offensive line.  Heyal yeah McCoy's numbers took a hit from that lol.  The rest I could agree with.  Like I said, I have no idea what to expect next season,  Not a clue honestly.

EFDan, so sincerely how do you see the season going for the Eagles. I mean, having another new QB, having lost the 2 biggest playmakers from last year, etc etc etc.

I'm just curious what you guys really think about all the craziness from this offseason and how it's going to go. 

I know Andy Reid would do stuff like this and still get to the playoffs every year, I can't see Kelly doing the same thing with no playmakers. Sure, Murray should be good, but other than last season, he's never played all 16 games, Bradford has been a terrible injury issue, Tebow is realistically not a factor in any way, so I'm assuming Mark Sanchez and Murray as the top two players on offense for you guys this coming year.

I think your rookie WR will be good once he picks things up, but I'd assume you guys take a hit. Not bottom of the East hit (I think that goes to the Giants this year), but 8-8 or something like that.

EFDan, so sincerely how do you see the season going for the Eagles. I mean, having another new QB, having lost the 2 biggest playmakers from last year, etc etc etc.

I'm just curious what you guys really think about all the craziness from this offseason and how it's going to go. 

I know Andy Reid would do stuff like this and still get to the playoffs every year, I can't see Kelly doing the same thing with no playmakers. Sure, Murray should be good, but other than last season, he's never played all 16 games, Bradford has been a terrible injury issue, Tebow is realistically not a factor in any way, so I'm assuming Mark Sanchez and Murray as the top two players on offense for you guys this coming year.

I think your rookie WR will be good once he picks things up, but I'd assume you guys take a hit. Not bottom of the East hit (I think that goes to the Giants this year), but 8-8 or something like that.

I'm actually more excited to see what Jordan Matthews does in year two.  I posted this on another MB:

The exit of Jackson is overblown for sure. The exit of Maclin may be a problem if the kid from USC and Matthews don't perform. He wants a North/South runner like Murray instead of McCoy. Fine, but the guy has only been healthy for one whole season. When asked if Murray was going to get 400 carries he said, "Well then I guess we are going to run the ball 1200 times this year with Matthews and Sproles when you include them. No Murray is't getting 400 carries." 

That part I believe. My concern is basically his whole season riding on Bradford staying healthy, because I already know that Sanchise is a .500 QB at best if something happens to Bradford.

The RBs are the least of my worries.

In 2013 the offensive line started all 16 games with nobody injured. In 2014 they had 10 different starters on the offensive line. Heyal yeah McCoy's numbers took a hit from that lol. The rest I could agree with. Like I said, I have no idea what to expect next season, Not a clue honestly.

I get that. O line injuries tend to fly under the radar.

I swear on my deceased grandmother that I saw a stat last year about McCoy's production with and without Jackson on the field. The difference was significant.

I've probably searched for it half a dozen times. Can't find it and can't remember for the life of me where I saw it.

I'll buy someone a six pack of their favorite beer if they can find it.

I'm not being anti Kelly just because this is a skins board, BTW. I think some of his ideas are interesting. But I also think some of his personnel decisions are highly questionable. You just can't replace playmakers like you replace players in college because you have a good system. He really does remind me of spurrier (and Mike shanahan to some extent, who seemed to think he could plug any QB into his system cuz it worked for Steve young and John Elway.)

I think they are going in the wrong direction offensively, but I'll admit it if it turns out I'm wrong.

I get that. O line injuries tend to fly under the radar.

I swear on my deceased grandmother that I saw a stat last year about McCoy's production with and without Jackson on the field. The difference was significant.

I've probably searched for it half a dozen times. Can't find it and can't remember for the life of me where I saw it.

I'll buy someone a six pack of their favorite beer if they can find it.

I'm not being anti Kelly just because this is a skins board, BTW. I think some of his ideas are interesting. But I also think some of his personnel decisions are highly questionable. You just can't replace playmakers like you replace players in college because you have a good system. He really does remind me of spurrier (and Mike shanahan to some extent, who seemed to think he could plug any QB into his system cuz it worked for Steve young and John Elway.)

I think they are going in the wrong direction offensively, but I'll admit it if it turns out I'm wrong.

Highly questionable is an understatement.  I get taking risks, but it is bordering on reflunkindiculous.

Archived