Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bradford and Foles Trade

Darrel2828

You know how you can tell the Eagles didn't "crush" this trade?...None of the Philly/Chip fans are over here bragging about it.

Hahaha

I imagine Westy is having a Chaz Palmenteri moment right now as he realizes that Chip Killey is Kaiser Soze

I'll say it again, and again people will just look at his career to date and laugh, but IMHO the Eagles. if they can do what St. Louis failed to do and keep Bradford upright; have just added arguably the most naturally talented QB in the division. (*Cue the ridicule from the ill informed masses.). 

Sam's talents and football brain in Kelly's O could well be devastating. And that Eagles line is a whole bunch better than St. Louis. That, alied to the need to release the ball super quick with what Kelly and Bradford do so well; should see the Oklahoman finally lose the battle scars he suffered week on week in St. Louis that where reaching David Carr in Houston type punishments. 

HATE this trade. HATE that we have to face Sam Bradford, who would of been our QB had we had enough ammo to move up; twice a year. 

Hail. 

Chip Kelly GM 2015  = Operation Market Garden

I had no problem with the McCoy trade, and even though I liked him as a WR, I understand him not paying the money to Maclin.  This trade however, makes no sense, especially with the draft picks involved.  Granted Foles has missed time due to injuries as well, but you CANNOT win in the NFL if your QB is injured. 

Trade might work out to make Kelly look smart, but right now he's looking like the rookie GM that he is.  There's a time/place for new methods and approaches, but committing significant resources toward an oft-injured player is not one of them IMO.  Hopefully I'm proven wrong and Bradford Philly = Brees NO.

Good luck to Foles.

I can't figure this one out. People in Philly are going crazy. At this rate, 4th in the NFCE is a possibility. I don't care what offensive system you have, you still need players to run it. This is looking like Reid 2.0 now, except we don't have a QB, RB, number one WR, or Jim Johnson to run the defense. We'll be kicking you out of the cellar this year.

I'll say it again, and again people will just look at his career to date and laugh, but IMHO the Eagles. if they can do what St. Louis failed to do and keep Bradford upright; have just added arguably the most naturally talented QB in the division. (*Cue the ridicule from the ill informed masses.). 

Sam's talents and football brain in Kelly's O could well be devastating. And that Eagles line is a whole bunch better than St. Louis. That, alied to the need to release the ball super quick with what Kelly and Bradford do so well; should see the Oklahoman finally lose the battle scars he suffered week on week in St. Louis that where reaching David Carr in Houston type punishments. 

HATE this trade. HATE that we have to face Sam Bradford, who would of been our QB had we had enough ammo to move up; twice a year. 

Hail. 

You really think Bradford's only issue is getting hit?...Or even his main issue?

Hail. 

I know he has talent, but the Eagles traded from a position of weakness here, IMO.  Everyone knew the Rams most likely weren't going to stick with Bradford.  I hope I'm wrong, but sometimes a player is what they are, no matter how much a coach thinks they can improve them.  Can't remember a QB who had injuries the way Bradford has that overcame them and became a franchise QB. 

Although you do make me feel better as an Eagles fan...so I thank you!  :)

Sam's talents and football brain in Kelly's O could well be devastating. ee the Oklahoman finally lose the battle scars he suffered week on week in St. Louis that where reaching David Carr in Houston type punishments. 

not sure if serious....

Hail. 

While I'll agree that a QB's performance is affected a whole lot, by the team around him, I'll also point out that this is a team that has got rid of their team's #1, #2, and #3 offensive weapons, in a little over a year.  And those positions also have a big impact on how good a QB looks. 

You really think Bradford's only issue is getting hit?...Or even his main issue?

I honestly believe that's where everything stemmed from. 

Natural talent wise and football smart wise, he has it all and has flashed that in the pros. When he's been allowed. Yeah, there's always the nagging concern over his body holding up after all the punishment it's taken in St. Louis. 

But if the Eagles protect him, and he regains his confidence in so doing, I honestly can see him resurrecting the career he should of had in a better environment than what he was drafted into. 

Be interesting to see what weapons Kelly adds the next few months too. 

Hail. 

Here's a food-for-thought piece on Bradford:

http://grantland.com/features/sam-bradford-st-louis-rams/

If you don't feel like reading it, the article was written at the beginning of last season and basically sums up like this: Bradford has no deep ball and needs to get more out of the passes on which he does connect:

"Yes, the Bradford era hasn’t exactly gone as planned in St. Louis. That’s a sunk cost. What’s important now is figuring out whether the Rams will actually be able to get a useful season out of Bradford in 2014, because that will be the biggest factor in determining whether he gets a long-term contract extension from the Rams to remain their starting quarterback in 2015 and beyond....For now, let’s put Bradford’s performance in context to see if there’s any hope of the former Oklahoma star finally having his breakout season in 2014. (ironically, this was written a few weeks before Bradford went out for the season with the ACL injury)

[...]The problem lies with Bradford’s biggest weakness as a professional passer: the absence of his deep ball. Under Bradford’s leadership, the Rams have been a dink-and-dunk offense, throwing an endless stream of passes underneath while failing to take the top off of opposing defenses. It’s clear to see in the numbers and the tape that the Rams don’t get downfield enough, and that it limits Bradford’s value as a passer. What’s more difficult, instead, is figuring out why Bradford can’t hit that big play.

[...]Bradford simply doesn’t throw deep. This chart reflects the numbers, which note that just 9.5 percent of his pass attempts last year traveled 20 yards or more in the air; of the 39 quarterbacks who threw at least 200 passes last season, 33 threw deep more frequently than Bradford. And when Bradford did throw deep, he was terrible; his 38.9 QBR on deep passes was 33rd in the league.

That’s not exactly a one-year fluke with Bradford, either. Just 9.9 percent of his professional passes have gone 20 yards or more in the air since he arrived in the league in 2010. Among regular starters over that time frame, only Alex Smith, Matt Schaub, and Matt Ryan (at a league-low 8.0 percent) have been less likely to air it out. During his career, per ESPN Stats & Information, the average Bradford pass has traveled just 7.5 yards in the air. The only regular passer in that time making shorter throws is Alex Smith.

When you’re not producing big plays as a passer, you need to be more efficient on the throws you do make to produce a similar amount of value....

Bradford gets less out of each throw he makes than just about anybody in football; the only quarterback with 1,000 pass attempts with a worse yards-per-attempt index over the past four years is Christian Ponder. Only six players have been worse in that category since 1990, and the best player of the bunch is probably Kyle Boller."

I will read that with interest later Cali when I have time but to say Bradford has no deep ball is completely and utterly wrong. 

He may not of been allowed to showcase that many times through circumstance in St. Louis. But the guy has EVERY throw in the book. And he's darn accurate with it. 

You don't lose that. Even if your confidence needs rebuilding. 

Hail. 

Here's a food-for-thought piece on Bradford:

http://grantland.com/features/sam-bradford-st-louis-rams/

If you don't feel like reading it, the article was written at the beginning of last season and basically sums up like this: Bradford has no deep ball and needs to get more out of the passes on which he does connect:

Important, although I thought his strength was his accuracy & decision making, which hopefully will be an upgrade over Sanchez & Foles.

I will read that with interest later Cali when I have time but to say Bradford has no deep ball is completely and utterly wrong. 

He may not of been allowed to showcase that many times through circumstance in St. Louis. But the guy has EVERY throw in the book. And he's darn accurate with it. 

You don't lose that. Even if your confidence needs rebuilding. 

Hail. 

The article does say that they can't figure out why Bradford's deep ball game has been lacking. They don't say that it's due to him not being able to make those throws, but they don't say it's due to not having enough time or talent surrounding him, either.

So disappointed ODF/Saul Goodman was banned again. Really valued his opinion.

Listening to Philly sports radio all day is one thing. Regurgitating it here should be a felony. 

I've never seen the Disciples so shattered. A friend of mine is the second biggest Kelly Kool-Aid drinker on planet earth (ODF #1) and even he said it's starting to taste bad. 

I've seen the sense in all of their other moves so far, even if I'm not sure how they'll play out. This one I don't get. Overrated as he is, Kelly's a smart guy and I have to think there's something else brewing. Maybe Bradford will be great for them, who knows, but there's not a lot of evidence there. 

Archived