Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Raheem Morris to join Falcons

Commander Adama

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12230888/raheem-morris-join-atlanta-falcons-assistant-head-coach-charge-defensive-backs

Former Washington Redskins secondary coach Raheem Morris has agreed to a position with theAtlanta Falcons as assistant head coach in charge of defensive backs, a source confirmed Monday.

Morris spent the past three years as the secondary coach in Washington but was passed over for the defensive coordinator position. Washington hired Joe Barry last week but did interview Morris for the job. The Redskins and former coordinator Jim Haslett agreed to part ways after this past season. 

Morris' deal with the Falcons was first reported by NFL Network.

Morris' role in Atlanta represents a promotion because of the title, but former Denver linebackers coach Richard Smith reportedly will become Atlanta's defensive coordinator. The Falcons reportedly will hire Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn as coach after the Super Bowl. Atlanta fired Mike Smith as its head coach after this season.

Morris served as Tampa Bay's head coach from 2009 to 2011, compiling a 17-31 record before being fired. With Washington, the Redskins' secondary was a constant issue. They struggled to stop big plays: In the past four years, the Redskins ranked 29th in allowing completions for 20 yards or more (172), according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The Redskins' secondary intercepted just five passes this past season but 24 in the first two years under Morris combined.

The Redskins will retain one holdover from last year's defensive staff -- inside linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti. They need to hire coaches for the secondary, defensive line and outside linebackers.

Wow. I did not see that coming.

Good for him. We will never really know if he got a fair shake here or not. He was certainly  villainized and I hated dbs ten yards off a receiver on 3rd and two, but who knows if that was him or Haslett.

Asst Head Coach in charge of DBs though?  Sheesh what a title. Everyone in Atlanta is going to be a head coach.

Head Coach in charge of Quality Control.

Head Coach in charge of ball deflation.

I won't miss Raheem fielding the worse secondary I've ever seen.  This secondary has been downright awful the last 6 years except when we play the Cowboys and DHall (now Breeland?) gives us Redskins fans a glimpse of what it would be like having a Darelle Revis on our team.  Good teams can also sub in an occasional FS/SS/CB and still be at least fricken competitive on defense.  Maybe it was Haslett on his cushions, scheming, anything that made Raheem look terrible (I hope so).  I just rather not even roll the dice on Morris, I'll take Joe Barry or whatever his name is because I have a feeling Scott's presses the reset next year anyways.  Good luck to the Falcons with an already shaky secondary.  I hope Raheem proves me wrong.

Bye.

Can't say I'm upset and I agree totally with Kunit's assessment..  these guys had a few injuries, but overall I can't see how veteran safeties and promising young players can be SO lost all season long.

IF it turns out he was shackled by Haslett, then good for him to get a new start, and he will get to coach a local man from here in Southern Maryland, Patuxent High School's Robert McClain.

(If they retain him,   he's a free agent.)

~Bang

Definitely time for him to go.  I hate to judge a coach without knowing all the details but there was a pattern for busted assignments and too many converted 3rd and long situations.  There's a lot of talk about how well liked he is among the players.  I know Fletcher campaigned pretty hard for him.  When I hear that about a coach it always makes me a little uneasy.  There must be a fear factor when it comes to the player-coach relationship.  Obviously, you want the player to buy in to what you're teaching but if they aren't tuning in then you need to put a foot in their butts to wake them up.  I hope he learns that lesson and does better at Atlanta because he does seem like a good person.

I really liked Raheem's energy on the sideline and the players appeared to like him too. But it's time to start over for both parties. 

Best of luck Raheem.

Edit: Hopefully this puts to the bed the bull **** story from the twitter insiders about Vic fangio not coming here because Raheem Morris wasn't leaving. 

Edit: Hopefully this puts to the bed the bull **** story from the twitter insiders about Vic fangio not coming here because Raheem Morris wasn't leaving. 

It wasn't the "twitter insiders"; that report came from the actual ESPN beat reporter for the Bears. He said he received a text from a "coach" and that "coaches talk". I still think there was more to that story than what's come out.

As for Moore moving on, I'm happy for him and for the Redskins. Both needed to move on (and it should've been done last year).

It wasn't the "twitter insiders"; that report came from the actual ESPN beat reporter for the Bears. He said he received a text from a "coach" and that "coaches talk". I still think there was more to that story than what's come out.

As for Moore moving on, I'm happy for him and for the Redskins. Both needed to move on (and it should've been done last year).

One of em, can't remember which one, RT'ed the faux report.

Archived