Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking for some perspective on coaches from pre-Norv fans

NewCliche21

I saw that too and gave the benefit to the OP due to being "somewhat close" heading into the 4th quarter in a good number of those games (the 49er game being the clear exception).

"Somewhat close"...in that case we had closer games in three of the first 5 games of 2013 lol...

Vs. Lions: tied 17-17 going into the 4th

Vs. Raiders: ahead 17-14 going into the 4th

Vs. Dallas: Down 21-16 going into the 4th

Of course, I can't remember '81.....was not living in DC at the time......but those losses in the first three games of '01 were jusr brutal. I remember the home opener against the Chiefs (the AZ game had been postponed due to 9/11) and we had cut it to 14-13 and then THE Trent Green (mentioned elsewhere in this thread) led KC to two quick scores before half and the Skins left the field down 28-13 to a lot of boos. The first thing fans see on the lite-brite tron after that is Marty soliciting donations for 9/11 and his image got booed louder than the Skins had leaving the field!!!

There are people who compare Marty's 0-5 start to Gibbs' 0-5 start as an argument: "like Gibbs, Marty was turning it around!".

Even with all the mischief Riggins got into, back in the day, everyone knew on day 1 of the season the diesel would be gassed up and run for 100+

Except for that year he took off, course. Guessing you're under 45?  ;^)

But for the OP, remember how far you have to go back to find a guy who didn't work out for a while. Petitbon was one-and-done, but it sorta felt like "we" owed him a shot to keep things going after all he'd done. He's more a bookend saying Gibbs really was gone. But aside from that and the Austin emergency year, the coaches between Norv and Lombardi were... carry the one... Pardee, Gibbs and Allen. You'd have to be getting pretty long in the tooth to remember not having competent to great coaches for the Skins. The Snyder era really is new for us pre-Norv fans.

What ruined the Redskins was letting Trent Green get away and trading for Brad Johnson.  That is probably the biggest failure in anything that changed the course of this franchise.

You're killing me. Name 4 QBs better than Johnson since 1980. JoeyT. I love Doug and Mark, but I'm still on JoeyT. Honestly, Campbell was -- if he'd been paired with Gibbs' system, not so sure about Saunders', and Zorn's? Forget it -- pretty good. At least he's still in the league. But I'd rather have Johnson. Great year when he won the SB, two Pro Bowls. I miss having a real NFL starter at QB.

Would've loved to keep Green, but you've got to blame The Squire for that. Why he didn't sell to his son, I don't know. Happy he gave the money to charity, iirc, but that uncertainty didn't help the team sign players back then.

The Brad Johnson trade happened just BEFORE Snyder became the owner.

Trent Green was from St Louis and his QB coach here was Martz, who left to become Vermeil's OC. One must remember he had only started half a season  after Frerotte got hurt in 98.  Then again, Brad Johnson I don't think had made it through a whole season before Casserly traded a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for him.  We offered Green a good but not great contract.  St Louis offered him a better one and with the ownership in limbo, John Kent Cooke wasn't gonna offer him big money, and Green really wanted to go to StL.

As for the oft-repeated Gibbs 0-5 start - we were close in all of those games, and our offensive was way at the top of the NFL.  It was NOTHING like, for example, Schotferbrains pathetic 0-5 start where we were getting BLOWN OUT by some of the worst teams in the NFL (though the Dallas game was close....painfully futile and dull, but close). Jack Kent Cooke was supposedly ready to fire both Gibbs and Beathard and bring back George Allen, but his son John talked him off the ledge (John's one great contribution to Skins history).

The trade happened the SAME time Trent signed with St. Louis, and yes it was between the end of the season, but a couple of months before an owner was announced.

Except for that year he took off, course. Guessing you're under 45?  ;^)

But for the OP, remember how far you have to go back to find a guy who didn't work out for a while. Petitbon was one-and-done, but it sorta felt like "we" owed him a shot to keep things going after all he'd done. He's more a bookend saying Gibbs really was gone. But aside from that and the Austin emergency year, the coaches between Norv and Lombardi were... carry the one... Gibbs and Allen. You'd have to be getting pretty long in the tooth to remember not having competent to great coaches for the Skins. The Snyder era really is new for us pre-Norv fans.

You're killing me. Name 4 QBs better than Johnson since 1980. JoeyT. I love Doug and Mark, but I'm still on JoeyT. Honestly, Campbell was -- if he'd been paired with Gibbs' system, not so sure about Saunders', and Zorn's? Forget it -- pretty good. At least he's still in the league. But I'd rather have Johnson. Great year when he won the SB, two Pro Bowls. I miss having a real NFL starter at QB.

Would've loved to keep Green, but you've got to blame The Squire for that. Why he didn't sell to his son, I don't know. Happy he gave the money to charity, iirc, but that uncertainty didn't help the team sign players back then.

No I am over 45.  I know he took a year off.  Point being, back in the day everyone knew that Riggo would play even though articles were consistent about back problems and him missing practice.  We all knew he would play.

I didn't say Johnson was a bad QB, Trent was here and didn't cost us draft picks.  Keeping Trent and the draft picks was the better move, and Trent had he not gotten injured would have been a very good QB.

He didn't sell to his son because he thought his will left his son the ability to keep the franchise.  The squire had NO IDEA the price would go that high.

By the time FA rolled around the skins were old and in rebuilding mode, you couldn't get anyone to come here then, I mean we got guys like Ken Harvey, Washington, Terry Allen, and Ellard but we sucked at the draft back then. FA is not why we took some 7 years to return to the playoffs

we lost monk and mitchell and some others because of thishttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cincyjungle.com%2F2013%2F3%2F5%2F4065394%2Fa-history-lesson-on-2013-nfl-free-agency-remember-plan-b-free-agency&ei=SSi_VJPHMMaHsQSpuYCoCg&usg=AFQjCNEkBmo8J5c4vtML2W9u_PYLJkSlUQ&sig2=Wx-yBS3vJ13P6A2-oNIVXQ

Reaching waaaaaaay back, circa 79, a mistake IMO was hiring Pardee, who was pre-Gibbs.

Yea, he had a little success in Chicago, but nothing long term, and the itch to replace Allen was heavy.

Not to take anything away from Pardee, he was a strong minded hard nosed coach, and not a bad football player either, but he just didn't seem like a good fit with the Redskins. His 2 years summed it up when we lost to Dallas, with a chance to get in the playoffs, then it was time to move on, to bigger, and better things.

But his presence wasn't totally gone from the team, and he later was HC of the Oilers, from which we had one helluva battle in 91' with; luckily, some scrub named Darrell Green picked off a pass in OT and we won the game, but what really stuck with me was watching Pardee's face when I believe Ian Howfield missed a chipshot FG at the end of regulation which would have given the Oilers a win, and reading his lips you can see him saying 'I want him fired'.  That was the hard nosed Pardee I knew.

It was a mixture of both the new salary cap and the feeling that Casserly thought Monk's skills had eroded. 

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-12-09/sports/1994343223_1_monk-redskins-salary-cap

How it happened, and why it happened, why the 37-year-old Monk spurned a one-year, $600,000 offer from the Redskins in April and signed with the Jets for $575,000, is still a sensitive issue with Monk and team officials at Redskin Park. Monk said he felt unappreciated in Washington after general manager Charley Casserly asked him to accept a take-it-or-leave-it 54 percent pay cut in his $1.3 million salary in 1993.

"Art could not prostrate himself and accept the Redskins' offer made by threat," said Richard Bennett, Monk's attorney. "I fully concur in that decision."

Redskins officials blame the $600,000 offer on the new salary cap and the feeling that Monk's skills had eroded.

"Even with declining skills, Art would still be a Redskin if it wasn't for the salary cap," one highly placed official said. "We would have paid enough to keep him around for the record, but we had some serious salary cap problems, and some hard decisions to make."

Faced with having to pare more than $12 million from the payroll after the 1993 season to get under the cap, Casserly took the money Monk turned down, added $700,000 to it and signed free agent Henry Ellard to a $1.3 million contract, which included a $400,000 signing bonus.

"Art got the first offer," Casserly said. "I told Rick Bennett that Art would get the first chance. Did he [Monk] tell you that he twice called back and wanted to take the offer?"

That's because Monk shopped his services around the NFL and found no other team willing to meet his demands, either. When he called back, Casserly already had signed Ellard. That left one of the NFL's all-time great receivers having to settle for his next best offer -- $575,000 from the Jets.

I'm with you NC.  I'm a few years older than you, I had just turned eight when Super Bowl XXII happened.  Problem is, I wasn't "in" to football much, it was all baseball for me.  Also, my sister was a huge Broncos fan and was trying to get me to root for them.  I remember the Skins winning but not much else.

Same problem in 91/92.  I was 11/12, and aware the Skins were doing well but just wasn't that into football, was still into baseball full time.  I didn't really get into football until I started high school, so Norv was the first coach I really was aware of.  And let me tell you, Fall 94 through Spring 98 was a terrible time to be a Skins fan, what with our **** records and the Cowboys it all twice.  Come to think of it, college wasn't much better.  Or post college.  Sigh.

Anyway, baseball is still my first love and honestly, I'd trade the Super Bowl for a Nats World Series win, but it's close, and I would love a consistent winner to cheer for.

When Gibbs was hired, I remember thinking who? But it was a completely different time with no internet, sports talk radio and ESPN was nothing remotely close to what it is now. But to be a fan during that era was great. Once the Skins carried over their strong finish in Gibbs' first year into his second season and really got rolling, Sunday's were different than they ever were for me. I was 14 when Gibbs took over and Sunday's for the next 12 years were like holidays. We were always contenders and I always tell my 16 year old son that we were like the Patriots now. It didn't seem to matter who Gibbs plugged in to play, they would come up big. In fact, I truly believe that Belichick has modeled the Patriots after those Gibbs Redskins teams, although Gibbs never had the luxury of having a constant like Brady at QB.

Belichick was the DC under Parcells for the Giants for a large part of the Skins glory years and if you ask Parcells to this day who the toughest coach he ever had to prepare for he'll tell you Gibbs. Being that Belichick was a part of Parcells staff and saw first hand how the Redskins were run back then and how successful they were, he took that blueprint and brought it to the Patriots. Although Belichick didn't fare too well in his first stint as a HC with the Browns, once he took over the Patriots he started to do things like Gibbs did and what he has is a team that contends year in and year out. Of course I doubt Belichick will ever admit that he modeled his teams after Gibbs', but the similarities are too close to ignore.

And I know that Belichick has Brady. But aside from the QB position, the Patriots take guys off the street, practice squad or what have you and turn them into productive players if not pro bowlers. Gibbs used to do the same thing with guys who were undrafted free agents or cast offs from the CFL or USFL and turn them into really good players for the Skins. Those were truly great times to be a Redskin fan and though I believe we will contend off & on, I don't believe we'll see the Skins as a perennial contender for a 12 year span like they were under Gibbs' first stint here. Damn, how I miss those days! 

Yeah, remember Casserly announcing "We have a plan" after we were left QB-less after Trent left.

Didn't Snyder want to rescind the Johnson trade when he took over?

Yeah, I remember he asked if the trade could be "undone" or something like that.

But his presence wasn't totally gone from the team, and he later was HC of the Oilers, from which we had one helluva battle in 91' with; luckily, some scrub named Darrell Green picked off a pass in OT and we won the game, but what really stuck with me was watching Pardee's face when I believe Ian Howfield missed a chipshot FG at the end of regulation which would have given the Oilers a win, and reading his lips you can see him saying 'I want him fired'.  That was the hard nosed Pardee I knew.

I remember at the time Cook (or whoever) letting Pardee go and keeping Beathard, my boss said it was a big mistake. I told him he was totally wrong, and I was glad the decision was to keep Beathard. I felt BB could do the same here as he did in Miami, and I didn't think Pardee was ever going to get us to the next level. Then BB hired Gibbs and I felt even better. The Chargers were explosive on offense at the time, and even though Joe T. was no Dan Fouts, I felt we needed to get better in our offense... if just with a better playbook.

I also thought we would be good when we hired Norv Turner. Major fail... so what do I know? Let Barry coach the D for a year and see what happens. Can't say that the FO didn't even TRY to get Fangio (let him go coach the stinkin Bears). To be honest with you, I like this hire over Phillips.

Any memories of what things were like from after Allen to before XVII would be great. :)

Just a little background before Allen. 

First Skins Head Coach I was really "aware" of was Otto Graham. I remember my Dad and uncles being glad when McPeak was gone (even though he brought in Sonny).

Otto was popular, but just wasn't winning and the articles in the papers started calling for better production.  (My dad worked for a newspaper, so I read sports page at a very early age.)

Lombardi - major coup - so sad. Fans saw that this team had potential.

Bill Austin - I apologize Bill, I don't remember you..

Allen hired and the team becomes a real football team.  Cooke becomes majority owner in 74' and by 77' there is real ego clash (sound familiar?)  Allen wants more power (said the papers - but Cooke had a lot of media control back then.)

Pardee drops his Bears HC job in a microsecond to become the Skins HC.  Said it was his "dream job".  Allen's "over-the-hill gang" was. Cupboard bare for Pardee.  He started situational substitution (different LB/Linemen) as per down.  Such a great job, earns Coach of the Year in second year.  Fired after third.  Articles seemed to allude a "difference of opinion" with him and Cooke/Beatherd? A 6-10 season didn't help.

I remember the "hunt" for a replacement and the selection of Gibbs. He was the OC of the team they beat 40-17.  I thought "Same old Skins".  Glad Joe turned out so well. :)

The Rook :)

Richie Petitbon is remembered for a bad season as head coach, but should be remember for his great super bowl winning defenses. Also, he was a four time pro bowl safety AND he played for George Allen on the 1971 Redskins Super Bowl team. I just loved the guy and wish we had more  like him.

One thing that gets lost in today's game is that he shared DC duties with Larry Peccatiello for most of that time period. And it wasn't weird or a conspiracy theory, or a battle for power. They both just coached up the d.

Richie Petitbon is remembered for a bad season as head coach, but should be remember for his great super bowl winning defenses. Also, he was a four time pro bowl safety AND he played for George Allen on the 1971 Redskins Super Bowl team. I just loved the guy and wish we had more  like him.

One thing that gets lost in today's game is that he shared DC duties with Larry Peccatiello for most of that time period. And it wasn't weird or a conspiracy theory, or a battle for power. They both just coached up the d.

I think Petitbon is remembered for his great Super Bowl winning defenses.  I don't know any of us who lived during that era remember him for his head coaching gig.  I did watch the team at RFK that season, it was a lowly bunch of guys.  And just for the record, there was no chanting we want dallas that season, the stands weren't a rockin' and it was kind of like a fedex year ;)

I didn't mention Richie's year because, quite frankly, Joe handed him an unloaded gun.  Also, Joe waited a loooong time to decide to retire, so there was no time and limited selections for HC.  Richie got a raw deal and I don't think he coached in the NFL again.  What a shame.

Thanks for the props to Richie Pettibon, Stadium-Armory.

The Rook :)

OK, to answer the original question, I go way back.  The first coach that I remember was Bill McPeak, but not too well.  Otto Graham was brought in and the city was very excited.  He had, after all, run the Cleveland Offense for Paul Brown that was considered state of the art at the time.  If you read the Lombardi biography, When Pride Still Mattered, you find that Lombardi brought the Brown's offense to New York when he became the Giants O coordinator.  He then took it to GB and eventually to DC, but I get ahead of myself.  Graham had a wonderful offense that Sonny excelled in.  One year we had TAylor, Mtichell and Smith as the number 1, 2, and 4 recievers in the league.  Of course we had no running game and Graham gave no thought at all to defense.  He traded our best defensive player, Safety Paul Krauss to Minn and I do remember being upset at the trade (or my dad being upset over it)  Anyway, when the skins brought in Lombardi, everyone was totally excited.  Another big name, the biggest.  They actually gave him a percentage of the team to come here and for one year we were in heaven.  Then he died and his assistent, Bill Austin, did not have the same mojo so they let him go and brought in another big name, George Allen.  He brought the skins to consistent respectablility,  But after 1977 it had stopped working and they fired him.  I still remember the newscast.  Story one was George Allen was fired, story two was the huge snowstorm that hid DC, story 3 was the president's State of the Union Address.  DC has its priorities.  When Pardee came in we were happy because he had become one of our own from his time as a Ramskin.  It was noticed that Bobby Beatherd had been brought in too, and like our now new GM he had a great track record that we were very familiar with, helping Shula develop the Dolphins who had beaten us in SB VII so we did notice and expected a lot from him.  Pardee goes and Gibbs comes in and everyone was leary, not so much because we did not know him but because Pardee's defense had beaten Gibbs offense at the end of the '80 season when the skins beat san Diego.  The best thing Gibbs did was to keep Petibone.    

From there, you guys probably know the rest. 

And, the skins downfall was caused not by free agency, but by the salary cap that came in in 1993.  They were an old team that needed to retool after the SB years and way over the cap.  That was what really did "Bone in in '93

Does that answer the question?  Or did I just ramble?

Archived