Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

5 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I know. That’s on my Christmas list, I got the instant pot to replace my crockpot because it is too slow.

Customer Service: Hello, how can I help you?

ASF: I'd like to return my slow cooker. 

CS: I'm sorry to hear that, what's the problem?

ASF: Well, it cooks food, but, uh, it's pretty slow. 

CS: *click*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dfitzo53 said:

Customer Service: Hello, how can I help you?

ASF: I'd like to return my slow cooker. 

CS: I'm sorry to hear that, what's the problem?

ASF: Well, it cooks food, but, uh, it's pretty slow. 

CS: *click*

Exactly!

4-5 hours vs. 25 minutes.

I guess I can use the crock pot to keep stuff warm at dinner parties.

9 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I hate leaving stuff cooking when I’m not home.

Me too, I could never leave something plugged in like that. I did use it on the weekend. 

I now have a pressure cooker that has a sear function so I can brown meat right in it instead of using a separate pan on the stove. 

• Like 1

So, you folks don't use a crock pot or smoke ribs for hours at a time ? Unless you stay home the entire time ?

That is crazy... I am as old as you folks...that is as bad as wanting well done pork chops or a well done steak. 

Grill not please,... underneath the awning of the main house fixed that most of the time ( accidental cooking fires).

Following a recipe fixes another part. 

Other thing I have always thought about folks that are afraid to leave something plugged in... the fridge is always plugged in...as are smoke detectors or tvs. 

I only plug in my crock pot on the outlets in the kitchen...

Gas is on in most people's homes all the time. 

It's a strange phobia. 

Edited by Kosher Ham

25 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Yes, it doesn't make sense, does it?

I liken it to making sure that the stove is off, iron unplugged. 

I haven't used an iron in years, and I am always checking the stove!

Me either, everything gets hung up/folded when the dryer stops. 

And my stove/oven is gas, so I check it every time I'm in the kitchen. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 12:02 PM, Kosher Ham said:

So, you folks don't use a crock pot or smoke ribs for hours at a time ? Unless you stay home the entire time ?

That is crazy... I am as old as you folks...that is as bad as wanting well done pork chops or a well done steak. 

It’s the application of heat. Like leaving an iron plugged in, or a curling iron. Yeah, I know two things that aren’t supposed to be left unattended. As far as smoking something, I need to be here to babysit the temp and make sure it stays constant, when cooking with the crew we have an Old Hickory professional pit, but at home I don’t. Still working on getting a BGE of similar.

Going to fill up the grill somewhat soon. It's been a while and the holiday season is upcoming... smoked meats for all.

Wild hog mostly. Maybe some hen or quail. A slow cooked steak or two while everything is roasting. 

Will post pics.

Also don't be disrespecting the crock pot. 

Edited by sportjunkie07

27 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Yum!

It is very good, between the wine and the mushrooms flavor was robust meaty and complex. I made some corn starch gravy with the broth, it was awesome. I will make this again, it was super easy and delicious. Nothing like warm comfort food on a cold wet dreary day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the crock-pot "hate"  They're lifesavers.  Load it up the morning, come home from work to delicious cooking smells. For convenience and ease of use, it can't be beat.  With all due apologies to Ron Popeil, it's the orifinal "set it and forget it" kitchen tool.

We have two, one of them is 30 years old, and have managed not to burn the house down yet.

I just got a nice Cuisinart  electric pressure cooker..After reading the directions, it looks like a pain in the ass to use.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I don't understand the crock-pot "hate"  They're lifesavers.  Load it up the morning, come home from work to delicious cooking smells. For convenience and ease of use, it can't be beat.  With all due apologies to Ron Popeil, it's the orifinal "set it and forget it" kitchen tool.

We have two, one of them is 30 years old, and have managed not to burn the house down yet.

I just got a nice Cuisinart  electric pressure cooker..After reading the directions, it looks like a pain in the ass to use.

Oh don’t misunderstand me, I have a crockpot too, a large one. I normally don’t plan far enough ahead to get a crockpot meal going so it’ll be finished for dinner. The instant-pot accomplishes the same thing in 1/4th of the time. 

That said I’m still not keen on leaving cooking devices unattended, just a personal thing I guess.

12 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Oh don’t misunderstand me, I have a crockpot too, a large one. I normally don’t plan far enough ahead to get a crockpot meal going so it’ll be finished for dinner. The instant-pot accomplishes the same thing in 1/4th of the time. 

That said I’m still not keen on leaving cooking devices unattended, just a personal thing I guess.

Yeah, you definitely have to plan.

It's all good, if we all liked the same things,  life would be pretty boring....

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

My pressure cooker can do the same thing that my crock pot can do, and more. It can open sear plus pressure cook. So I am giving up my crock pot even though I am home most of the time every day.

I like using left over wine in my cookery. Adds so much flavor to dishes

What kind/brand of pressure cooker do you have?   I have a real nice Cuisinart, that I got after reading great reviews on it. After reading the directions,  (i.e. releasing the pressure,  etc), it looks a little more involved than I would like.  The recipes in the manual look time consuming too. I basically want to toss stuff in it, turn it on and be done with it.  I guess that I didn't know what I was getting into when we got it.  It was a Md Lottery Reward prize, so returning it is not an option.If you have any tips, or suggestions,  it would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

If you have leftover wine you're doing it wrong!!

Or leftover Mellow Corn!

Mine is a Simply Ming that I got on HSN because payments spread out over months. It also has a ceramic coating which makes cleanup a breeze.  It opens sears so I don't have to use a separate pan for browning, can be used as a slow cooker and a pressure cooker. I got it because I am downsizing and multiple use equipment is good. Also, I have pan sets from Ming and like the coating, easy clean up and they can be used on different surfaces like gas, electric, and induction. I have my old set that I will keep in my camper and a new set for my new apartment in Austin.

Buy a pressure cooker cookbook, one that includes the basics of using it. There's no need to be afraid of it because the new technology over old days is really good. 

They are great for cooking and tenderizing cheaper cuts of meats quickly. They were very popular in the 50s in poorer households because of that. Housewives could buy cheaper meats, put them in the pressure cooker, and then clean house while dinner was cooking away. That's what my mom did. They could also be used for canning. 

Now they are being marketed mostly for quick cooking. 

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 3

I got my 8qt Instant Pot because of the versatility. It has the sear setting but I still use my 12” cast iron because it fits more evenly on the cooking surface. But other than that the IP can slow cook like a crock, it can make yogurt (not something I plan to do) and then there is the pressure cooking. They call it a 7-in-1 but it’s more like a 3:1