Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

I love roasting chiles dude.  Roast 'em, slice 'em and throw them on fajitas is one of my favorite things.

Tell me that smell isn't just heavenly? 

Roasted half a gunny sack this morning. Put them in baggies with the skin still on, freeze and I have chile for the year.  A couple bags saved for my sister in Phoenix. They're like currency to anyone that got used to them and moved away. 

Good in eggs, sandwiches and off course green chile stew.  Campbell's cream of mushroom soup with a good helping of diced chile and garlic is a quick, tasty green enchilada sauce. I just ate a couple plain hot off the grill in a warm corn tortilla with salt for lunch.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2016 at 9:55 PM, KAOSkins said:

Roasted half a gunny sack this morning. Put them in baggies with the skin still on, freeze and I have chile for the year.  A couple bags saved for my sister in Phoenix. They're like currency to anyone that got used to them and moved away. 

Those look awesome.  Don't know much about New Mexico Chiles.  I can only find them dried in the grocery stores around here.  The only thing I've thought of to do with them is to make them into a sauce for spicing things with.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Those look awesome.  Don't know much about New Mexico Chiles.  I can only find them dried in the grocery stores around here.  The only thing I've thought of to do with them is to make them into a sauce for spicing things with.

If they're dry I assume they're red.  Those take a little more care to cook with.  I could front you some recipes if you're interested.

Look in the freezer section for frozen green, they come diced in a plastic container and while they're not as good as the fresh roasted, they're still good.  I'd recommend my easy green enchilada recipe to anyone that can get them.  

Mix a large can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup with a container of thawed, drained chile, a couple cloves of chopped garlic and half a bag of shredded cheddar or colby. In a glass baking pan put down a layer of the sauce mixture, then a layer of corn tortillas (add some shredded roasted or boiled chicken to each layer of sauce, chopped onions also a good addition) then another layer of sauce.  Continue that until the pan is about a 1/2 inch from the top.  Put on the rest of the shredded cheese.  Bake until bubbly and golden, maybe an hour at 350.  You'll be eating good for a while.  Wrap portions in Saran wrap and it it freezes well  and is still tasty when thawed.  One of my staples.  If you want to be fancy you can try to reproduce, instead of the using the Campbell's soup. I see no need. New Mexican Lasagna.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got up at 6 this morning and fire up the smoker. Picked up some pork loin ribs from the butcher yesterday, prepped them st Louis style. Got them on the smoker around 8.

Doing much better with the temp control on the kamado this time. Doing 3-2-1 style. 

;)

• Like 3

U-S-A! U-S-A!

http://gizmodo.com/why-beef-is-about-to-get-cheaper-1787102925

The latest USDA meat production projectionsare out, and they predict that, after years of domination by chicken, beef will become the fastest growing meat category over the course of the next decade. Beef isn’t just going to be more available, though. It’s also going to be cheaper than it’s been in years.

• Like 2

Beef has a lot of different cuts and it's really versatile and widely available.  I love lamb but it's not as versatile and I'm only going to find like three or four cuts at any given time in most grocery stores.  That's limiting.

Also I'd imagine that the supply of lamb could never be comparable to the supply of beef because the animal is so much smaller.

13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Beef has a lot of different cuts and it's really versatile and widely available.  I love lamb but it's not as versatile and I'm only going to find like three or four cuts at any given time in most grocery stores.  That's limiting.

Also I'd imagine that the supply of lamb could never be comparable to the supply of beef because the animal is so much smaller.

yeah, lamb is delicious like beef, but there just ain't enough of it. 

The unfortunate thing is that my extended family has developed an unhealthy relationship with food. They can't find the balance between eating for taste/enjoyment and healthy eating. Family gatherings have switched most times to grass fed beef. The ground beef is fine, but the steaks aren't that good. 

28 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Family gatherings have switched most times to grass fed beef. The ground beef is fine, but the steaks aren't that good. 

I'm with you there.  I have Christmas dinner at my sisters every year and we do a prime rib with Yorkshire pudding and all. She made friends at the farmers market with a guy who raises grass fed beef and for the last three years we've been getting our roasts from him.  They suck compared regular feedlot corn fattened beef. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2016 at 10:28 AM, Elessar78 said:

yeah, lamb is delicious like beef, but there just ain't enough of it. 

The unfortunate thing is that my extended family has developed an unhealthy relationship with food. They can't find the balance between eating for taste/enjoyment and healthy eating. Family gatherings have switched most times to grass fed beef. The ground beef is fine, but the steaks aren't that good. 

What's unhealthy about their relationship with food?  If the main issue is buying grass-fed beef I can understand you not liking it, but I'm not sure it qualifies as an unhealthy relationship with food.  I know you're a reasonable guy though, so I'm assuming there's more to the story.

My parents buy grass-fed and every once in a while there's a tough steak but for the most part it's actually pretty good.  (That said, my parents don't tend to bother with much other than filet these days if they're cooking steak.)

On 9/25/2016 at 2:51 PM, dfitzo53 said:

It's been a long time since I've fired up the grill. Too long. 

Finally making good on this. Searing some filets over lump charcoal while nursing a beer. 

There's something primal about the hissing and popping of a real fire in the evening. Something human beings have been doing for tens or hundreds of thousands of years. Like it's something we're  supposed to do. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Threw a whole chicken on the smoker this morning.

Just experimenting so I used a Chipotle BBQ rub the wife picked up, 1 1/2 chunk of cheery (my understanding is chicken is easily over-smoked), and stuck it on a can of yeungling.

We'll see how it turns out...

• Like 3

Put a 8.5lb pork butt in the smoker at 2:30 this morning. She's poking along a little slower than hoped but should still be able to have a late lunch (160 degrees right now). Used a fancy expensive rub from Sur la Table (don't judge I had a gift card). Some sort of espresso rub. Smelled pretty tasty so we'll see. 

• Like 2

I think I'm finally getting a handle on the temperature control of this kamado.

I have no patience and that is the enemy of controllingt this thing. 

The key seems to be to get it to the temperature you want and hold it for 30 minutes, then trust that when you open it up and throw all the racks, wood, and meat on that it'll return to the temp. 

Edited by tshile

6 hours ago, tshile said:

Threw a whole chicken on the smoker this morning.

Just experimenting so I used a Chipotle BBQ rub the wife picked up, 1 1/2 chunk of cheery (my understanding is chicken is easily over-smoked), and stuck it on a can of yeungling.

We'll see how it turns out...

And????

• Like 1