Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Columbia delays finals for some after 'trauma' of Garner, Brown grand jury decisions

codeorama

http://news.yahoo.com/columbia-law-school-lets--traumatized--students-postpone-finals-after-non-indictments-in-eric-garner--michael-brown-cases-170145848.html

Columbia Law School will let students postpone their final exams if they say they feel traumatized by the polarizing grand jury decisions not to indict police officers in the deaths of Michael Brown and Eric Garner.  (click link above for full article)

I thought this was worthy of its own thread, but if the mods don't feel like it does, please move to other thread...

I personally liked the comments.

I'm not even sure why this bothers me. I suppose I'm meant to accept I can't necessarily comprehend the trauma of others and that this exam postponement is completely reasonable. That seems like steaming bull**** though.

In reality, to me it feels the same as knowing that guy calling out sick before a deadline isn't actually sick and it affects you as well. 

As future lawyers, if a Grand Jury decision you didn't work on causes you such trauma that you can't take an exam, what are you going to do if your presentation to a Grand Jury ends in no charges?

YOU ARE FUTURE LAWYERS. SACK UP AND TAKE YOUR EXAMS. NO MATTER HOW VOLATILE THE WORLD AROUND YOU IS, IT KEEPS MOVING FORWARD. It isn't going to wait for you.

I knew way too many people in college who had the Emergency Dean on Speed Dial and got a sick note whenever they weren't prepared for an exam. It sucks not only for legitimate students who study for exams and take them when scheduled, but also for people who have legitimate medical problems that have to bear the suspicious gaze of the prof when they hand him/her legit sick notes.

I suspect the faculty may be traumatized more than the students. But they're certainly not teaching the students anything by doing this ****

That was never their goal. College stopped being about preparing students for life a long time ago.

This really isn't surprising. I'm sure this will be popping up at other more liberal universities as well.

Archived