Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should be the GM and new head coach if we clean house?

RichmondRedskin88

I got a few simple additions. First you bring in Darrell Bevel the OC from Seattle as the head coach as they originally should have. Look at how he's progressed w/ Wilson. Seattle is a pure run first offense. They run read option and they run Lynch. Something we don't do.

Then we pounce on Rex Ryan. We couldn't find a better DC for our 3-4 defense that just hasn't materialized. Rex is done in NY. Not since Greg Williams ego have we had a coach show some kind of life. He'd have this 3-4 flying around and wreaking havoc on the field. Develop guys like Breeland and Amerson. Get Thomas and whoever else is back there in the secondary straightened out. I've no idea for GM . I know I'm not in favor of the guy advising that came from San Diego. I believe his name is A.J. Smith. He's the guy who let Brees and Sproles get away.

Thats why Gus Malzahn makes since. He plays to strenght of the team. He runs a very fast uptempo offense based around a power run game with multiple formations. I've studied Gus since his HS days I use his principles with my youth team. Everywhere he has ever been his offenses produce big numbers from HS, Arkansas St, Tulsa, Auburn.

I personally think he is the smartest most creative offensive guy in all of football at any level. Everybody jocks Chip Kelly and his scheme but Malzahn is that guy.

Guys like Bevell get hype because its a great situation in Seattle. Wilson was getting ragged earlier this year and was struggling. I will give him credit for adopting some Baylor concepts with all 4 wr outside hashes especially with there zone read stuff.

I like Gus a lot!    Except he seems very suited for college football. But then again they said the same about Chip Kelly too, so it's worth a shot.

I got a few simple additions. First you bring in Darrell Bevel the OC from Seattle as the head coach as they originally should have. Look at how he's progressed w/ Wilson. Seattle is a pure run first offense. They run read option and they run Lynch. Something we don't do.

Then we pounce on Rex Ryan. We couldn't find a better DC for our 3-4 defense that just hasn't materialized. Rex is done in NY. Not since Greg Williams ego have we had a coach show some kind of life. He'd have this 3-4 flying around and wreaking havoc on the field. Develop guys like Breeland and Amerson. Get Thomas and whoever else is back there in the secondary straightened out. I've no idea for GM . I know I'm not in favor of the guy advising that came from San Diego. I believe his name is A.J. Smith. He's the guy who let Brees and Sproles get away.

Rex Ryan would over shadow Bevell. Not a good mix in my opinion. Bring in Bevell and change our defense back to a 4-4 like they run in Seattle. We already have the long corners and speed rushers on the outside. Then bring in Rivera or Mike Smith.

NO MORE OFFENSIVE HEAD COACHES. THEY ARE/WERE ALL FAILURES.

Marty - defensive minded and had the team finish strong, but Danny boy missed Vinny too much.

Spurrier - Offensive 

Gibbs - Offensive 

Zorn - Offensive

Shanny - Offensive

Gruden - Offensive

Time to stop trying to get an offensive HC and FINALLY get a Defensive minded HC. Todd Bowles comes to mind as primary option.

Blasphemy!!!!!

Gibbs 2.0  was not a failure!!

The GM that gets hired is the GM that'll effectively sell Dan Snyder on the pipe dream that this team is a couple of seasons removed from a Lombardi. He'll show Dan the numbers, the charts, maybe refer him to cherry-picked teams that "turned things around" after just two seasons or less like the Colts, and Dan will buy into it because he doesn't know crap about properly building a football team.

The GM that gets hired is the GM that'll effectively sell Dan Snyder on the pipe dream that this team is a couple of seasons removed from a Lombardi. He'll show Dan the numbers, the charts, maybe refer him to cherry-picked teams that "turned things around" after just two seasons or less like the Colts, and Dan will buy into it because he doesn't know crap about properly building a football team.

I DESPISE it when people point to one year turnarounds like Kansas City and San Fran.

They were both 3-4 year turnarounds. You just weren't paying attention. True one year turnarounds in this league are impossible.

Hell look at Dallas. How long ago was it they started drafting OLine?

^^^^^^3 years straight.  Idk if skins nation has the patience to take 3 drafts to build the o-line lol

Monk4theHall got some great posts in here.  Whether I agree with the candidates is different but well written and represents what almost every skins fan wants.  A clear vision with a competent trigger man calling the shots

PITTMAN4TWO!!!

No hustle, no jive, just straight talk. 

I've been meaning to ask Pitt some serious questions on waste management, but he's so elusive, I never get a chance to run my ideas by him. 

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Jobs that won't go away...

A Waste Management Technician -

Sure, I'm a little biased here since I'm a living, breathing example of this...example.

No matter if people eat OR get sick, I'm still in business. I don't care if they stuff themselves at the All-You-Can-Eat buffett line, pass out from too many games of beer bowling, infected by E-Coli, or have a bad case of IBS...I'm a happy man and can put food on the table.

See there...even I keep myself in business! Is there a more secure job anywhere on earth?

^^^^^^3 years straight.  Idk if skins nation has the patience to take 3 drafts to build the o-line lol

I think we absolutely do if the team makes it clear that there is a long-term vision in place and that there are no quick fixes.

It's pretty obviously the owner that lacks patience, not the fan base. We've been extraordinarily patient with this long-running dumpster fire.

I DESPISE it when people point to one year turnarounds like Kansas City and San Fran.

They were both 3-4 year turnarounds. You just weren't paying attention. True one year turnarounds in this league are impossible.

Hell look at Dallas. How long ago was it they started drafting OLine?

The other "one year turnaround"s are literally that. They go from the bottom, rise up for a year, and then sink back down again. And/or they weren't really that bad to begin with.

The Dolphins several years ago were a good example. They were a middling team for years. Then they had a year of numerous injuries and close losses and ended up with the top pick in the draft. They had a decent offseason, sure, but only won the division the next year because Tom Brady got hurt. Then, they went right back to the middle.

The closest thing to a quick turnaround was Atlanta (same year, actually). They became a perennial division contender for a while after a terrible year. But the also weren't really that bad to start with, that was the Vick/Petrino year and everything going haywire. And from there, I certainly never felt they were really a team built for a title.

I really don't understand all the one or two year turn around talk and why it couldn't work?? Why not because we have Bruce Allen?? Guess that's why you guys just believe there is no way in hell it can happen. Because you are used to failure!!..Bruce has had five years to turn things around for this franchise and he has failed miserably. I still believe in a heartbeat that a real G.M. that knows what he is doing could start to rebuild this franchise in two years and having this team looking real again. Why do you still want Bruce Allen here?? He handed the keys to Mike Shanny and let him ruin a good 4-3 defense that lead to Jim Haslett staying around for 5 years. The eagles hosed both of them with the Donavan trade. We got slapped with a 18 million dollar cap penalty because Bruce tried to fudge. Bruce gave the farm up for a one trick pony in Rg3 ..Bruce lied to everyone when he said that he was doing a heavy coaching search knowing the whole time he was going to hire Gruden and gave him a monster 5 year 25 million dollar contract  and you guys still want Bruce Allen around.

Really if you still want Bruce Allen around then all I got to say is ..welcome to more years of losing and misery you deserve it .

It doesn't matter.  Synder owns the team and even if he got a real GM; that GM would probably fail.  Simply because it is Dan Snyder.

If you are going to clean houyse; then you literally clean house.  You fire everyone. A new president would be hired to bring in a new GM.  That new GM would then hire a new beefed up scouting staff and the new coach.

None of the players jobs would be safe or gauranteed.  If the new regimine decides to move on from Robert then the will do it.  If they decide that Robert will have competition for the job, then they will do it.

I will say it now; anyone who is just continue to hope Robert will come around, will fail.  If we decide to keep Robert; then he is going to have competition for the job. Robert will not only have to earn the starting job, he will have to stay the entire season healthy.  If he can't do that; they goodbye Robert.

Rick Reiprish - Director of College Scouting - New Orleans Saints - (Age 64/65)

Who is Rick Reiprish? 

Unlike Grigson and Fitterer, Reiprish is no spring chicken. Whereas the other candidates hold the hope and promise of young age, Reiprish is a seasoned Vet, who has over 30 years of NFL scouting and front office experience. 

Whether that's good or bad is irrelevant. The main point is that Reiprish is in his mid-60s. Two-fold: he may not want to go anywhere, least of all here, he may wish to retire as a Saint, in addition, if he did go to a new organization, his window of operation (years he would be active) is far more limited than that of the mid-30 year old Grigson and early-40 year old Fitterer. 

Rather than give an exhaustive breakdown of his various scouting successes, merely showing his timeline of positions should give a fair glimpse to his expertise.

What you need to know about his timeline: 

xxxx - 1972 - WR / TE - Villanova 

xxxx - 1972 - Graduated Villanova 

1973 - 1974 - Graduated Masters Deegree - Austin Peay University 

1973 - 1976 - Coach - WRs & RBs - Austin Peay State University

1977 - 1978 - Coach - QBs & RBs - East Tennessee State 

1978 - 1979 - Offensive line Coach - North Alabama 

1979 - 1982 - BLESTO Scout - Kansas City Chiefs 

1984 - 1989 - Scout (Area Scout) - seattle seahawks 

1989 - 1994 - Scout (Eastern Scout Supervisor) - seattle seahawks 

1994 - 1998 - Director of College Scouting - Jacksonville Jags

1998 - 2002 - Director of Player Personnel - Jacksonville Jags

2004 - 2014 - Director of College Scouting - New Orleans Saints 

Team Bio page: http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/staff/rick-reprish/bd947195-6a4d-455c-8f2f-fd72b83b5b91

Reiprish joined the Saints following an eight-year stint (1994-2002) with Jacksonville as director of player personnel, where he was an architect of the Jaguars' rapid ascension to the top of the AFC. He was responsible for each of the club’s drafts since its inaugural effort in 1995, selecting such stalwarts as OT: Tony Boselli, DE: Tony Brackens, RB: Fred Taylor, S: Donovin Darius and CB: Fernando Bryant. Of the team's seven first-round picks from 1995 to 1999, each became a starter, more than any other NFL team in that span.

Originally hired as the Jaguars’ Director of College Scouting in 1994, Reiprish was promoted to director of player personnel in 1998. He was responsible for the pro and college scouting departments, including directing the scouting of college players and the draft as well as the evaluation of veteran free agents.

Reiprish joined the Jaguars after working for the Seattle Seahawks for 10 years (1984-94), first as an area scout before being promoted to eastern scout supervisor in 1989. He began his NFL career as a southeast scout with BLESTO from 1979-82. For the previous three years, he was a personnel scout for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Reiprish coached wide receivers and running backs at Austin Peay State University (1973-76) before going to East Tennessee State in 1977, where he coached quarterbacks and running backs. In 1978, he was offensive line coach at North Alabama.

A native of Shamokin, Pa., Reiprish graduated from Villanova in 1972, where he played wide receiver and tight end in his career after being recruited to play quarterback for the Wildcats. He earned a master's degree in education-administration and supervision from Austin Peay in 1974.

Unlike the previous two candidates (Grigson & Fitterer), Reiprish has held the title of Director of Player Personnel in addition to Director of College Scouting (his current title) -- and all the responsibilities therein, whatever they may be. 

Another interesting six degrees of connection back to Grigson, here with Reiprish, apparently back in 2012 Reiprish was a candidate for the vacant Indy Colts GM position. Ultimately, the job went to Ryan Grigson, the older brother of Dru. 

Because of his age and his longtime employment with the Saints, figuring he would be less likely to leave, I don't rank Reiprish ahead of the wiz-kids. 

In following the idea of plucking good people from good organizations, of the two prime candidates from the Packers, I figure that Gutekunst would be more likely than Wolf. 

Considering Wolf is basically Packer family, born and raised, Gutekunst at least has a connection back to North Carolina, where he was born.

*Gutekunst - http://www.packers.com/team/staff/brian-gutekunst/17567ea1-38e4-4d60-8270-84a5095551dd

I'm going to caveat this that it's ONLY under the assumption we're sticking with Griffin as QB, or at least trying to. If we move on from him...which would be a reasonable move as well...then that changes.

I'm big on the Bevell bandwagon.

We've seen hints from 2012 to now that a lot of "traditionalists" don't think highly of a "mobile" QB or a "college" offense. They speak of such things with derision and condenscention, decrying it a "gimmick" or something that can't last.

One, I don't agree with that logic. Two, I don't think that logic is going to work if we do keep Griffin as a QB.

The biggest red flag about Gruden should've been the reports that in the 2011 draft he had his choice between Kaepernick and Dalton, and went with Dalton because he felt that style of QB fit his system better. That should've told us the likelihood of him actually fully having faith that Griffin would be "the guy" and using his strengths to the fullest.

I said recently that I had to eat crow, that GHH was right...Briles was the best choice for last year. Coming off the down 2013, we needed a coach who had utter faith in Griffin. FAITH and belief that he WOULD be the guy, not that he could be the guy. I tried to explain what I meant by that, but discovered today some things from Mike Holmgren that better speaks to it.

Jon Gruden paraphasing Holgrem's words to the coaching staff after they traded for Favre: "I don't care what anyone thinks we are gonna make Favre successful and his success will be our success."

Or from a SI article (with a few more good paragraphs on his views on this):

“Somebody in that group can play, I feel sure of that,” Holmgren said of the quarterbacks in the 2014 draft class. “You list them, you evaluate them, you discuss them as a scouting and coaching group, and you pick one. Now—and this is very, very important—once he’s with you, you never, ever let anyone believe he’s not the right guy, not the quarterback of the future. In the building, obviously, that’s a given. But in public too. Every time you talk about him, he’s your guy.

I think Briles in 2014 would've had that faith that was needed, and we would've seen definitively if Griffin was going to be THE GUY or not, without a shadow of a doubt.

I don't think Briles can be the guy in 2016. There's too much dysfunction, the issues too much greater with Griffin, to bring in a college guy. You want a Pro guy, one with some legit cred but also an eye for innovation rather than tradition.

I think Darrell Bevell is that man.

We've seen the past few years he's got no issues, if not fully embraces, some innovation in his offence and utilizing what some think are "college" ideas. Apparently Wilson was a bit of his project according to quotes from Carroll, making me think that he understands that "faith" notion. He's also got the pedigree running an offense for a super bowl winner and with a QB that at least on the surface seems to have a similar skill set to the guy here; I think that would go a long way in getting people to buy in, SPECIFICALLY Robert Griffin.

If you stay with Griffin for at least one more year, wanting to ride out that rookie contract and find out full well if he can be THE GUY or not, Darrell Bevell is the guy you go out and you get.

If we could do a package deal grabbing Bevell and Fitterer, that'd make me happy. Even more so if Gus Bradley was surprisingly cast out in Jacksonville and we could bring him in. Otherwise, I'm still big on the notion of Wade Phillips as DC here.

My ideal situation if Snyder wants to clean house is for him to hire a proper team president. A respected NFL elder like Bill Polian or Ron Wolf, who might not want to take on the daily grind of running a franchise anymore but who knows what a successful team looks like. Let that person hire the GM who runs the daily operations, and let that GM hire the coaching and scouting staffs.

After he hires the team president, Snyder should stay out of Redskins Park entirely--not even sit in on the job interviews.

And yes, I know what the odds are of this actually happening. :)

If we could do a package deal grabbing Bevell and Fitterer, that'd make me happy. Even more so if Gus Bradley was surprisingly cast out in Jacksonville and we could bring him in.

That post was well written, btw.

I'm actually not all that fond of Bevell, myself, personally. Not to get into it, but I look at the seattle offense as actually really basic and traditional, with lots of standard WCO. How many times they hit the TE on a 5 yard Drag boggles the mind.

They just execute at a high level.

And damn if they don't consistently find ways to isolate one-on-one match-ups. 

And when everyone is covered by the defense, and/or everyone is bunged up, Wilson just seems to always beat the LB Spy for just enough yards to convert a 1st down. Hell, for all I know that's the play they draw up. Spread everyone out, make sure you account for every rusher and let Wilson scramble knowing he has one man to beat. 

But, so help me if their offense isn't anything different from "standard (mike) shanahan." 

Anyway, not the point, and not really that important in the grand scheme.

If Bevell was to be the HC then I think it's imperative that you couple him with a GM that he has a working relationship with. In this case, one who comes from the same organization. I think it's critical that the GM and HC have that relationship and know each other's strengths and weaknesses. 

And since those two guys (Bevell and Fitterer) have had success, it's not just any old working relationship, which both Allen and Gruden could claim to have. The seattle relationship has yielded a SuperBowl -- that's the key.

And I like how you included another former seattle coach, D Coordinator, G. Bradley. 

Again, Bradley isn't my first choice, similar to Bevell, but the fact that you want to put three guys together, who all come from the same past organization, is the real smart move. 

Archived