Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All time low for this franchise?

RichmondRedskin88

Is this the all time low for this franchise?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. All time low?

• Yes. No question...
    • No. Shockingly we've had worst.....

The Bingo caller fiasco was the lowest I can ever remember.  I believe in Gruden.  I think we are finally investing in the draft and drafting good players and there have been a lot of hits.  Keenan Robinson, Breeland, Amerson, Morris, Reed (when he can stay healthy), Moses, Leribus, Redd, Will Compton (LB), and a few others. 

I honestly believe this team was poised to make a run (now looking back) with Colt at QB and having Robert forced on the team (and I believe there was at least some pressure from the top to make that happen) was a huge boat anchor to the team. 

But something to consider:  yes, we were at a low in mid-2009, with the atrocious loss to a bad KC team in the rain and then a beatdown by the Eagles where signs were confiscated was the nadir.  But everyone was blaming it on Vinny, and by the time of the swinging gate, Vinny had been fired and Bruce Allen had taken over, suggesting there was daylight.

Five years later and this team has still largely been a bottom feeder, and the statements of "We finally have a legit front office structure" in early 2010 have given way to "Does our front office and scouting departments know what the hell they are doing?"

I sense a fanbase that seems out of answers.

Look back into the history of this team and you'll see that before Sonny during the 50's and early sixties this team was Oakland putrid..

Even some lower points in the 90's after being so close to the great teams..

It's bad.. but the talent at skill positions on offense and few.. yes very few on defense leaves this team a starting point in a very mediocre league.  

I vote 09. I'll never forget being in that crowd of folks after the Chiefs game that year surrounding the CSN Postgame set screaming for everyone's head. The "Sell the team!" chants were in full force. You felt like a riot was going to break out at any moment. Sadly I was at the 9-7 Rams game that year too. I also had the pleasure of being at the Swing gate game surrounded by obnoxious Giants fans just laughing hysterically. The Iggles game was especially fun that year being that it was after the Lions loss so walking up the ramps the rails were lined with green clad folks chanting "Detroit Lions!" over and over again. Definitely the darkest times of my Redskins fandom.

How soon we forget. This was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen a professional football team do. 

That was so bad on so many levels. From Mike Terico (who I can't stand) to the camera pan over to Haynesworth, to putting Gano in motion, thereby completely eliminating any chance at success...just the worst thing you will ever see.  An absolute epic low point.  Would have been great in retrospect if the giants ran it back for a TD.  

But something to consider:  yes, we were at a low in mid-2009, with the atrocious loss to a bad KC team in the rain and then a beatdown by the Eagles where signs were confiscated was the nadir.  But everyone was blaming it on Vinny, and by the time of the swinging gate, Vinny had been fired and Bruce Allen had taken over, suggesting there was daylight.

Five years later and this team has still largely been a bottom feeder, and the statements of "We finally have a legit front office structure" in early 2010 have given way to "Does our front office and scouting departments know what the hell they are doing?"

I sense a fanbase that seems out of answers

No doubt we are. I know I am. I haven't been this apathetic about games ever. And my fandom began when Norv took over. The feeling of just being beaten down is so high right now. It's like a previous poster in this thread mentioned, that 09 was the boiling point for anger and this year it's apathy. I personally think the latter is much more dangerous.

I voted yes. Not because of the recent losses but for the overall state of this franchise. The days of vinny are gone. Zorn is gone. Spurrier. Yet it's the same ole same ole. Just another year of broken promises/ hopes. Another year of sub mediocre performance. Just another year as a redskin fan.

But this year, I have all but stopped watching games on TV. I don't wear my jerseys. I've turned down FREE tickets. Never in my 34 years as a fan did I ever see this happening. But it is. And I hate it. All hope is gone.

I hope Gruden can right this ship. Make something out of us. I just wanna be competitive. Could care less about a super bowl anymore. Would rather be competitive year in and year out and let the wins and titles come when they do. Tired of being in the laughing stock of the nfl. How many teams were worse than us an have far surpassed us by now?

I am going to say this is about the lowest I remember feeling about my team, and I remember many bad games and years.  The dreadful

"Swinging Gate" was embarassing, but you kind of expected it with Zorn.  I had and still have hopes for Gruden.  When I saw how our QB played yesterday and then saw that the Rams beat Denver with our draft picks and a scrub quarterback, it made me sick to my stomach. 

I still remain hopeful, but I fear it will be a while until we can proudly speak of our beloved Skins.  Don't get me wrong, I will forever be a fan, but to say I am proud of who they are is a stretch.

This is about as bad as it gets. The only worse time I can think of that is worse was the Zorn mess with Sherm Lewis. 1998 was also bad going 0-7 with an uncertain future with ownership. That was pretty bad too.

the problem is there were times before you.  That's why polls like this don't work

Hard o say. We've hot rock bottom three times since 2000. 2003, 2009, and 2013-14. We're going 3-13 again his year. The Rams are the easiest team left on the schedule and they're probably pounding us. On a positive note, we should drafting somewhere between 2nd and fourth in 2015.

Robert Griffin please refrain from using social media and you don't need to respond to every single critique about you. You need to stfu and play football and at a high level that's what they pay you to do.

I've noticed him to be pretty thin-skinned and let's criticism from ordinary fans eat at him badly. His head is messed up between criticism and fear of another serious injury.

Giving Dallas their only win of 1989 was bad, but at least we managed to finish 10-6 and would become of the best teams in history just two year later.

Michael Westbrook helmet tantrum in 1997 sucked. The game finished in a tie, 7-7, and we finish 8-7-1 and miss the playoffs because of the helmet. IIRC, we were driving down for the winning FG. It was at that point that you really began to question if Norv was the answer, although some would argue our epic collapse in 1996 was proof that he sucked.

Honestly, I couldn't blame fans for walking away any more. I wonder why someone like me, a person born, raise, and lived all my life in Illinois, would keep tuning in all these years since I discovered "that team with the neat dark red and yellow uniforms" as an eight year old back in 1978. The 80s just spoiled me. Each week you knew we were either winning or had a good chance of winning. I was proud to wear the B&G. Not so easy now, especially when you don't live in Redskins country. Not when 3-13 and 4-12 is the new norm. We've made all of four playoff appearances since Mark Rypien's last run in 1992. FOUR!

It's getting harder and harder to be faithful to this team. I cannot attach myself to any other team. My loyalties won't allow it. What is more likely to happen, if I can no longer stomach this team, is to just follow my keeper league FFL team which means following individual players each week. Odds are I'll ride this out. At some point, we'll have a big run and the pride will return.

The 0-7 start to 1998 was pretty low. End of Spurrier, end of Zorn, end of Shanny.... Eh, all the same really.

If it wasn't for the team being on sale; Norv wouldn't have returned in 1999.

2003 and the End of Spurrier & 2009 and the end of Zorn were the 2 worst times ever under the Snyder era.  The fanbase was in full revolt and Snyder was in danger of losing many fans forever and thus his $$$$$.   Shanny's final year was bad but there was still a contingent of fans wanting a year 5.

2014 is worse than I expected but 2013 showed we really didn't have much to begin with. Expecting 7-9 was unrealistic; just as many fans were expecting a division title and return to playoffs were expectating.

It will be interesting to see what Danny does.  This team needs some structural changes and a new DC but will that really happen?  Will Snyder decide tof fire everyone and go after the next big name?

Robert is going to get his chance to be the long term answer; assuming he can stay healthy.  My gut feeling is that, even if he ends up having a long career; it will not be withy this team.

Am I the only one who found the swinging gate hilarious?

By that point I was pretty beat down by the team. Seeing them doing something that ridiculous just made me laugh. The worst part was that I think that was the 2nd try, wasn't it? Like, they ran out there to do it, a timeout was called, and then they did it again.

Am I the only one who found the swinging gate hilarious?

By that point I was pretty beat down by the team. Seeing them doing something that ridiculous just made me laugh. The worst part was that I think that was the 2nd try, wasn't it? Like, they ran out there to do it, a timeout was called, and then they did it again.

Nope. I laughed my ass off. One of the hardiest laughs I've ever had in my life.

But, yeah, I'd hardly call this the worst. Apathy has settled into the fanbase so deeply that it barely registers on an emotional level.

The end of the Spurrier and Zorn years were way worse and from what I understand, so were the teams in the mid-90s and through the 50s when the team was playing in dilapidated dumps in bad neighborhoods, preparing to leave for a new stadiums..

Archived