Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The biking thread....

mcsluggo

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2014 at 4:19 PM, mcsluggo said:

my bike was near top-o-the-line!!!!!!

..... in 1989.      this bike is best accessorized with neon legwarmers, michael jackson's red and black patterned leather jacked from "thriller" and a mullet

large.jpg

I killed this bike on Friday... may it rest in peace :(

( i changed gears hard, and snapped the gear shifter, and when it ripped off, it tore some of the carbon tube, and the bike shops refuse to repair once the carbon is torn...)

I have a newer Speialized of uncertain vintage and specs.... (it is pretty cool, though)

<not mine, but it looks just like this, but with some sort of tiger stripe pattern?>

specialized-allez-dsw-sl-sprint-elite-27 

and.. this is me on strava:

http://www.strava.com/athletes/mcsluggo

• 4 months later...

This weather man. I'm ready for something close to resembling spring to hurry the hell up and get here. Full vid of the entirety of the Cap trail from Richmond to Jamestown. I watched entirely too much of it. I've gone about halfway from Richmond a couple of times. It's a nice, easy ride. This dude flew straight through it. I like to stop and enjoy the scenery a little. There's a ton of condensed videos out there of it. If you ever come to the Richmond or Williamsburg areas, I recommend you take some time, and ride a bike towards whichever area you're not in.

Here's a WaPo write up from 2016: link

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

This weather man. I'm ready for something close to resembling spring to hurry the hell up and get here. Full vid of the entirety of the Cap trail from Richmond to Jamestown. I watched entirely too much of it. I've gone about halfway from Richmond a couple of times. It's a nice, easy ride. This dude flew straight through it. I like to stop and enjoy the scenery a little. There's a ton of condensed videos out there of it. If you ever come to the Richmond or Williamsburg areas, I recommend you take some time, and ride a bike towards whichever area you're not in.

<bike ride video>

11 hours ago, SoulSkin said:

Here's a WaPo write up from 2016: link

yeah... i am very ready... .

• Like 2

It's been really difficult to find good days to ride around here since the middle of October. It has either been rainy, snowing, windy or to darn cold and the trails are not taken care of during the winter. This weekend it supposed to be 40ish, so I may venture out, but we just had another 7 inches of snow drop on us, and it is going to be sloppy out.

I have been riding on the indoor trainer to a program called Zwift, but the pure enjoyment of riding is not the same.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Kinda cool, I guess. If you want to bike the Capital trail,  you can just take a train to Main Street Station in Richmond and hop on it like 3 blocks away. Looks like they're testing this out, and it's only an option on routes going along from Boston down to Newport News. 

• 2 months later...

Biked the Big South fork earlier this summer.  There is an overlook trail that is terrifying... a tiny sign that says `walk bikes from here` (easily missed) is all the warning you get of a 300 foot sheer cliff face that appears out of nowhere.  The pucker factor was immense, as crazy as it sounds i still have nightmares.  How easy it would have been to miss that sign...

Heres a picture i found, trail is just to the left.  Its about 3 feet wide and there is another rock face that goes straight up, basically giving you 0 margin for error.  But i digress, there are some other really great trails, highly recommend if you ever get the opp to go

Bigsouthfork4.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yohan said:

@zoonyHow close is that to Knoxville? I am going to be kind of in that area next week (Townsend). I will be checking out the Cade's Cove loop, on one of the mornings it is closed to vehicle, trying to out run bears.

Probably an hour and a half, i think you have great options locally.  Btw, go see tuckaleechee caverns if you are bored.  And try to grab dinner at the dancing bear.  You will also want to go ride the cades cove loop in the GSMNP.  Youll be 20 minutes away.  Its a 12 mile loop, every wednesday and saturday morning they close the loop to car traffic, hikers and bikers only.  You will see a ton of wildlife including bears.  However, be sure you go on wednesday or saturday morning.  My family and i try to go once a month thru the summer months

https://smokymountains.com/park/cades-cove/scenic-drive/

You will also want to do the urban wilderness in downtown knoxville.  It is awesome.  Youll be 30 minutes away.  My wife and her friends ride at bakers creek probably once a month or so.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I live right next to the Washington & Old Dominion trail and I've been thinking about getting a bike (once this damn boot comes off of course) and I am curious what an entry level bike will run you. Someone else I know pays thousands for a bike and I'm wondering if you can buy a good one for less. 

10 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

So I live right next to the Washington & Old Dominion trail and I've been thinking about getting a bike (once this damn boot comes off of course) and I am curious what an entry level bike will run you. Someone else I know pays thousands for a bike and I'm wondering if you can buy a good one for less. 

You can get a good quality Trek Hybrid for under $500.  Get a last year's model from a bike shop.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

You can get a good quality Trek Hybrid for under $500.  Get a last year's model from a bike shop.

^^^ last years models (2018) should be on sale right now. Trek FX2 or FX3 would be good starter bikes, probably in the $450 - $700 range.

Our CEO is an avid biker. Was telling us a story of animals that run across the road and get hit. Squirrels get stuck in spokes and cause you to fly over handle bars. Chickens explode in a cloud of feathers and viscera—the hitter doesn't get anything, but everyone behind is splattered. 

I've not had anything go through my spokes yet, close...squirrels and rabbits, and there seems to be a lot of them this time of year. However, I have had deer cross my path, and when you slam the brakes trying to avoid them and forget you have clipless pedals...bad things happen.