Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The biking thread....

mcsluggo

Recently started rotating riding into work one day and riding home the next. It's only about 6 miles, but a few hills on the route. The big one is the Nickel Bridge over the James. Took me a couple of attempts before I didn't have to stop near the top on the way home. Felt like the out of shape old guy I am, but I'm getting better and better and making it up that bridge with no issues now. Going to try to work up to a weekend Capital trail ride before winter. My 70 year old father in law has ridden this thing both ways several times. He's a road bike maniac. I think he rides about 15 miles on a slow day. 

http://www.traillink.com/trail/virginia-capital-trail.aspx

I forgot I saw this. Pretty cool 'ski patrol' kind of thing getting started on the trail.

https://rvanews.com/news/richmond-cycling-corps-to-help-out-capital-trail-cyclist-and-wanna-be-cyclists-with-the-kickstand/138625

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1

when i eventually got flats when using the gator skins, it ended up being from the rim-side (inside) of the tube.    For the most part, the Gaotorskin Hardbacks have been spectacular for me!   

of course i went from whatever cheap thing you could buy at Target to them --- from like $10 to like $75 --- but i went from getting flats REGULARLY (3 or 4 a month) down to not getting flats for whole years.   

I switched to Gatorskins last summer, second ride I road over a nail (didn't see it) went through the tread of the tire and out the side wall. I knew the cost and wasn't happy, but haven't had any problems on the new tire. There is a website, nashbar.com that has these on sale often.

City of Knoxville recently won a pretty big grant from Bell helmets to construct several mountain bike trails in their urban wilderness

They're ****ing awesome. Riding again this weekend. They have trails for all skill levels. Love how under the radar they've been so far, too. Hopefully it atays that way for a while

Check out videos

Yeah, same here. The president of my company is actually very into biking (road and trails) and he's part of a group putting in 22 miles of mountain bike trails into a park here. It's not a massive park, the trails just wind through it. 

How much would an entry level mountain bike cost?

Yeah, same here. The president of my company is actually very into biking (road and trails) and he's part of a group putting in 22 miles of mountain bike trails into a park here. It's not a massive park, the trails just wind through it. 

$500-$700 from your local shop.

I'm too out of shape to justify spending a lot (uphills kick my ass) but I got a decent Giant with a front suspension and disc brakes for $750

We just got my wife a Cannondale on clearance for $575. It was originally $1400, hers has a lot better components and suspension. So the deals are out there

Also, last Saturday we biked the Cades Cove Loop in the GSMNP. Someone in the US park service decided it would be a good idea to close it off for hikers and bikers only on Saturday until 10 am. Genius. We are probably going to try to go as many Saturday's as we can as its only about 20 minutes or so from our driveway

Anywho, we saw a mom black bear and two of her cubs. She meandered down the side of a hill eating blackberries. Got within about 25 yards or so. Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in nature with my own 2 eyes. Also, scared up a group of whitetail that were hanging around on the road around a turn. I feel like if I was going faster I probably could have hit one of them LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Got my second flat in two months with these Gatorskins.  *Throws shade McSluggo's way* This one was my fault though, I didn't inflate the tires very well and I think I pinched it going over a curb.

The nice thing about living in an area like this which is so bike friendly, there are bike shops everywhere which can do quick fixes and have you back on the road in 30-40 minutes.

Today was a good day.  I did a 29 miler, my longest ride so far.  There were a lot of hills, etc. but it bothers me on some level that Kenyans can still run a marathon faster than I can bike one.

*Also, I need to get your names on Strava, so I can follow more people.  Motivation and all.

Edited by Forehead

It's too ****ing hot to bike

zoony biking to the store for ice cream.....

sweat.gif?w=635

actually... that has been me the last several weeks.      Humid makes you sweat more than hot does, and it has been as humid as armpits in a turkish steam room.

Got my second flat in two months with these Gatorskins.  *Throws shade McSluggo's way* This one was my fault though, I didn't inflate the tires very well and I think I pinched it going over a curb.

The nice thing about living in an area like this which is so bike friendly, there are bike shops everywhere which can do quick fixes and have you back on the road in 30-40 minutes.

Today was a good day.  I did a 29 miler, my longest ride so far.  There were a lot of hills, etc. but it bothers me on some level that Kenyans can still run a marathon faster than I can bike one.

*Also, I need to get your names on Strava, so I can follow more people.  Motivation and all.

i seriously put several thousand miles on my gatorskin hardshells without getting a single flat.   and i don;t own stock in the company, either.   

when i haven't been on the bike for a while my hands and shoulders are what get most tired, by far.  and i have had numb hands and feet at the end of a ride.... but i don;t think i have ever been numb the next day..?

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

i wrecked this morning... first wreck in six or so years.      slow-motion, 10 or so MPH wreck:    just road rash and an effed up otter box for my phone.

But is the bike okay? Heal fast!

I was in the Knoxville area the first week of August. The hills there are brutal, I don't have anything remotely close to that around here. The roads seemed to barely fit 2 cars, so I got he impression that cyclists may not be welcome from passing cars. Cades Cove National Park on Saturday morning was open to cyclists and walkers only, pretty nice ride, and I didn't have to outrun any bears. So I had that going for me.

38 minutes ago, Yohan said:

But is the bike okay? Heal fast!

I was in the Knoxville area the first week of August. The hills there are brutal, I don't have anything remotely close to that around here. The roads seemed to barely fit 2 cars, so I got he impression that cyclists may not be welcome from passing cars. Cades Cove National Park on Saturday morning was open to cyclists and walkers only, pretty nice ride, and I didn't have to outrun any bears. So I had that going for me.

Bike seems ok... just torn up handle bar tape.   But i had changed my large chainring that morning...i think i need to swap out damned near the whole drive chain :( (but i'll try just the chain next, and cross my fingers for a little while!)

13 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

Bike seems ok... just torn up handle bar tape.   But i had changed my large chainring that morning...i think i need to swap out damned near the whole drive chain :( (but i'll try just the chain next, and cross my fingers for a little while!)

If you swap out the chain, you may want to swap out the cassette as well. Usually, if the chain has gone bad, it has been chewing up the teeth on the cassette. You don't have to, but if encounter some skipping or jumping, especially while using more force, like going up hill, that would be the reason.

23 minutes ago, Yohan said:

If you swap out the chain, you may want to swap out the cassette as well. Usually, if the chain has gone bad, it has been chewing up the teeth on the cassette. You don't have to, but if encounter some skipping or jumping, especially while using more force, like going up hill, that would be the reason.

it had been skipping bad, but mostly because the chainring was toast.  the cassette wasn't as bad, i had replaced it about a year ago,  

can you change the tiny little gearlets in the rear derailer? or do you have to just get a new derailer?    THOSE are ground away to almost nothing.

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

it had been skipping bad, but mostly because the chainring was toast.  the cassette wasn't as bad, i had replaced it about a year ago,  

can you change the tiny little gearlets in the rear derailer? or do you have to just get a new derailer?    THOSE are ground away to almost nothing.

You can, though I haven't done that myself. Not sure if any special tools are required or not. I would suggest writing down the order in the tiny components came off. (From not doing this with taking apart the headset experience).

sucks about the wreck, sluggo.  what happened?

this is my last week of morning rides during the week.  with school starting at 8:00 and sunrise being so much later, i can't get anything decent in and still have time to cool down and shower.  i hate the shift to afternoon rides... hotter and i'm more likely to bail on em.

On 8/23/2016 at 1:28 PM, mcsluggo said:

i wrecked this morning... first wreck in six or so years.      slow-motion, 10 or so MPH wreck:    just road rash and an effed up otter box for my phone.

Glad you're alright.  Is your wife of the "chicks dig scars" mentality?

On 8/1/2016 at 3:48 PM, mcsluggo said:

I have the same nickname there as here.... 

McSluggo returns no results.