Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The biking thread....

mcsluggo

I took this week off from work, kids starting school, and hadn't taken any time off this summer.  I was able to get some good exercise in, and on Wednesday, I managed my first 40 mile ride.  Falls Church to Ashburn and back on the W&OD.  I didn't feel too bad, all things considered, but I was ready for it to be over by the time I got back.

• Like 4

my ONLY rides are my commute.  ever.   

i have never in my life done more than 22 miles in a single ride, and that only because sometimes i purposely go the long way in, or home.  and when i do go the long way, at 14 miles my body starts to say  wtf???  

On 8/24/2016 at 10:25 AM, mcsluggo said:

Bike seems ok... just torn up handle bar tape.   But i had changed my large chainring that morning...i think i need to swap out damned near the whole drive chain :( (but i'll try just the chain next, and cross my fingers for a little while!)

i had just THAT DAY put on a new chain ring.... and yeah, its bent a tiny bit.    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Hordes Of Naked Cyclists Overtake Philadelphia

What better way to promote positive body image, encourage fuel conservation and advocate for cycling than to ride a bike nude through the streets of Philadelphia?

On Saturday, about 3,000 people participated in the eighth annual Philly Naked Bike Ride, taking to the streets wearing their underwear, body paint or in many cases, nothing at all. 

Click on the link for the full article and photos

Does anyone else get annoyed by bikers on the roads when there is a sidewalk next to them?  I understand when there is no other option, I (As a biker) will jump on the road when I have to and as soon as Im able to get off, and onto a sidewalk, I do.  I feel Im allowed to criticize cyclists fairly because I am one

1 minute ago, Ludomaniac said:

Does anyone else get annoyed by bikers on the roads when there is a sidewalk next to them?  I understand when there is no other option, I (As a biker) will jump on the road when I have to and as soon as Im able to get off, and onto a sidewalk, I do.  I feel Im allowed to criticize cyclists fairly because I am one

It's not always legal to ride you bike on the side walk. By me it is illegal, not that I have ever seen anyone busted for it.

1 hour ago, Ludomaniac said:

Your bike is considered a vehicle here in az and riding on the sidewalk is illegal. You're expected to ride in the street and if there is no bike lane to own the lane like you were a car.

Perhaps you should take the time to read more about cycling, my guess is you're the one in the wrong where you live.

9 hours ago, MrSilverMaC said:

Your bike is considered a vehicle here in az and riding on the sidewalk is illegal. You're expected to ride in the street and if there is no bike lane to own the lane like you were a car.

Perhaps you should take the time to read more about cycling, my guess is you're the one in the wrong where you live.

Im not sure what the law is exactly but Im pretty sure it isnt illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk where I live, they are pretty wide.  But yeah very annoying when I am driving and I encounter a biker on the road going 20-30 mph under the speed limit

Just a stab in the dark, cause I don't know what state you live in, but here is a link to the Virginia mvd site: 

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/safety/#programs/bicycle/

Bicycle Rules of the Road

Bicycles are subject to the same laws as motor vehicles. When passing a bicyclist, motor vehicles must proceed at a reasonable speed and travel at least three feet to the left of the overtaken bicycle.

4 hours ago, Ludomaniac said:

Im not sure what the law is exactly but Im pretty sure it isnt illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk where I live, they are pretty wide.  But yeah very annoying when I am driving and I encounter a biker on the road going 20-30 mph under the speed limit

Yeah, in a lot of areas, riding on the sidewalk is technically illegal, not to mention murder on your tires if they aren't in good shape.  Riding in the street is permitted.  At least where I live, most cyclists make a point of riding far to the right so cars can pass when they have an opening.  I much prefer cyclists riding on the road and behaving like a car, to the ones who forget that they are supposed to act like a car, and go speeding through stop signs and red lights.

• 4 weeks later...

This just seems pointless and weird to me...

No pedals, no problem: German company launches adult balance bike (video)

32-IMG_9466-garu-gelb-blog-630x420.jpg

If you’re looking to get your kid into cycling, one of the best ways to do this is to buy them a balance bike, a pedal-less bike that allows them to gain confidence staying upright on two wheels. But what if you want to have a go yourself? Well now you can thanks to German company Fliz, which is hoping to appeal to the big kid in all of us.

Click on the link for the full article

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2016 at 10:31 PM, dchogs said:

riding season winding down.  next weekend's my last opportunity to get some mileage in until October 23. 

yeah..end of the season... daylight savings ends this upcoming weekend :(

i have to make my annual decision of whether to try to push into scary/dark/cold winter time riding or not.... ?

(last year i rode up through December, for the the first time ever... but it was unseasonably warm!)

Log for 2016

Distance 2,260.7 mi
Time 153h 29m
Elev Gain 88,724 ft
Rides 220

(for the times i remembered to turn on strava!  -- my profile number on Strava:  13618264)

Edited by mcsluggo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

yeah..end of the season... daylight savings ends this upcoming weekend :(

i have to make my annual decision of whether to try to push into scary/dark/cold winter time riding or not.... ?

(last year i rode up through December, for the the first time ever... but it was unseasonably warm!)

Log for the year (for the times i remembered to turn on strava!  ---  13618264  (my "number" there)

Log for 2016

Distance 2,260.7 mi
Time 153h 29m
Elev Gain 88,724 ft
Rides 220

Impressive!  220 rides is crazy... I was thinking of going trainer starting this week.  A sad day-- the start of mind numbingly boring exercise. 

1 hour ago, dchogs said:

Impressive!  220 rides is crazy... I was thinking of going trainer starting this week.  A sad day-- the start of mind numbingly boring exercise. 

none of mine are "real" rides....  i bike commute when the weather is good enough, so each of those is a 1-way ride McLean to/from Downtown DC.   11 or 12 miles a pop.

best... commute... ever...!   :)    2/3 of my commute is C&O canal/Capitol Crescent trail ...wedged between the canal and the Potomac, basically biking through a national park.    I am grumpy as **** when i have to hang it up and start jumping back on the Metro or drive :(

56 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

none of mine are "real" rides....  i bike commute when the weather is good enough, so each of those is a 1-way ride McLean to/from Downtown DC.   11 or 12 miles a pop.

best... commute... ever...!   :)    2/3 of my commute is C&O canal/Capitol Crescent trail ...wedged between the canal and the Potomac, basically biking through a national park.    I am grumpy as **** when i have to hang it up and start jumping back on the Metro or drive :(

those are real rides, though i didn't factor in that to and from would be two rides.  love the C&O.  i'm right on it too, just up in hagerstown.  a couple years ago, my fam rode from georgetown to hagerstown over 3 1/2 days... thank god we had nice weather! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dchogs said:

Look into Zwift (zwift.com). It's a program for your computer, I think it is now on devices as well. It works with your trainer, and a speed and cadence sensor ($80ish by Garmin.) Not the same as outside, but makes it less boring.

Between the rain and the wind lately and the darkness, I also think my riding season may be done. On my last 3 rides, when weather allowed me to ride. I have had a flat, broke a spoke and a flat. Cosmic forces tell me to call it I think.

• Like 2

the weather here in DC is awesome this week... but I have to leave at 515pm  to get home before dark.   That means that NEXT week i would have to leave at 4 pm sharp    :-/

I thought this was cool... 

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jul/21/news/la-heb-tour-de-france-20110721

tour de france riders average 20-25 MPH .... in the MOUNTAIN stages!   that is insane!

was back out today, but left home at 6:30 am, so that i can leave work at 4ish... 

it was gorgeous!! the colors were in full swing, and the trails were basically empty.   The few people i DID see were dressed like arctic seal hunters, but I was perfectly comfy with shorts and t-shirt**  I just don't get it, they must've been boiling by the time they got to where they were going....right??

**---plus gardening gloves and one of my kids leggings on my head ----  i couldn;t find my gloves, and i am a cheap bastage to boot.  what can i say :) 

even in the flat, straight "sprint portion" of my 12 mile bike commute i only average about 20 mph ------ and i generally push it during that portion ---- as far as my 50 year old legs are capable :-/

(the capital crescent trail -- between Fletcher's Boat House, and Georgetown, is basically a 2 mile sprint for me smack dab in the middle of my commute, where there aren't and stop signs, or turns or significant hills to slow things down)