Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Sam - Should we?

Diesel Hog

Those of you saying give him a shot are basing it solely on the fact that he is a name due to his sexual status and NOT his ability as a player.

I call.. BS...  He's a former Player of the Year in the SEC..  What harm would it do to add him to the practice squad..  Frankly I would be surprised, no amazed if you could name two people on the practice squad.. Maybe people that don't like him protest too much about his home life.

Him being SEC POY doesn't mean **** when it comes to the NFL. That's the only argument some of you keep using. Weaksauce.

He's a great DE......In college!

He can't stay on a practice squad! A practice squad!

He'a 4-3 end!

We run a 3-4! Even in multiple looks he wouldn't cut it!

He can't play LB.

He's slow and he can't cover!

So we shouldn't sign a guy that may be able to provide depth because some clowns on NFL Network will talk about it?

Guys, we shouldn't let RG3 play again this year, NFL Network will talk about it!

How does Michael Sam "provide depth?"  I would surmise that he has now been dropped by at least two NFL teams and passed on by 30 others precisely because he lacks potential to add ANY depth!

Him being SEC POY doesn't mean **** when it comes to the NFL. That's the only argument some of you keep using. Weaksauce.

He's a great DE......In college!

He can't stay on a practice squad! A practice squad!

He'a 4-3 end!

We run a 3-4! Even in multiple looks he wouldn't cut it!

He can't play LB.

He's slow and he can't cover!

It's definitely not the only argument to his ability to make it in the NFL, but he is magically the only SEC DPOY to not get drafted high in at least a decade. The pedigree almost universally counts for something. It's not like a triple option QB winning the Heisman where his game is automatically invalid in the NFL.

Seriously, read the thread. The practice squad argument is pure BS. I don't think he'd be a fit here in DC because of the type of 3-4 we run but he definitely should have a spot to develop somewhere in this league.

It's definitely not the only argument to his ability to make it in the NFL, but he is magically the only SEC DPOY to not get drafted in at least a decade.

What league were you watching the draft for? He was drafted by the Rams, after we drafted Bolser and Hocker which should tell you how interested the Redskins were.

Exactly, Cam Wake was out of football for two years before even trying the CFL, Harrison was added and released 3 times by the Steelers and sent to Europe by the Ravens before he finally went back to Pittsburgh and stuck.  Kurt Warner's journey from NFL training camp with GB, to the AFL, then to Europe and back again before getting his chance is as well documented as any story. Amendola, Anthony Armstrong, Ninkovich, Browner, etc. I could keep naming active players but I think we all get the point.

I sincerely hope that you are not making an argument that Michael Sam = Kurt Warner!

This "practice squad players that were overlooked" argument in here is pretty ridiculous!  You all DO realize that we are talking miniscule exceptions and not rules?  That we are talking about literally hundreds of "good former college players" who amount to nothing more than a ham sammich in the NFL? That the LAST thing this team needs is to take on a "project" player and the ensuing circus that would ensue if we bring him on board?!

Good grief, the crazy (and I'm not singling you out, EMB) on this board is often thick!

Also why would anyone watch the draft?

Beyond the first two or three rounds?

Agreed.

It's definitely not the only argument to his ability to make it in the NFL, but he is magically the only SEC DPOY to not get drafted high in at least a decade. The pedigree almost universally counts for something. It's not like a triple option QB winning the Heisman where his game is automatically invalid in the NFL.

Seriously, read the thread. The practice squad argument is pure BS. I don't think he'd be a fit here in DC because of the type of 3-4 we run but he definitely should have a spot to develop somewhere in this league.

The PS squad argument is BS? No. You claiming it's BS is BS. If he can't stick to two PS'S in a mere two month span it's a testament to his lack of NFL ability.

By the way. I've pointed out several times that we run a 3-4 and he's suited as a 4-3 end, but apparently not in this league.

The PS squad argument is BS? No. You claiming it's BS is BS. If he can't stick to two PS'S in a mere two month span it's a testament to his lack of NFL ability.

By the way. I pointed out several times that we run a 3-4 and he's suited as a 4-3 end, but apparently not in this league.

Posts like this make me wish for Sam to make 46 Pro Bowls.

He can't play!!! I have declared it thus, because Jerry Jones says so!!!! You are all politically correct morons!! Only I know the truth!!

Even if you're right, what have you won here?

I sincerely hope that you are not making an argument that Michael Sam = Kurt Warner!

This "practice squad players that were overlooked" argument in here is pretty ridiculous! You all DO realize that we are talking miniscule exceptions and not rules? That we are talking about literally hundreds of "good former college players" who amount to nothing more than a ham sammich in the NFL? That the LAST thing this team needs is to take on a "project" player and the ensuing circus that would ensue if we bring him on board?!

Good grief, the crazy (and I'm not singling you out, EMB) on this board is often thick!

Beyond the first two or three rounds?

Agreed.

No I was not doing that. How is it possible to argue a DE = a QB in terms impact in the first place. Especially when the DE was in the SEC and the QB was at Northern Iowa.

Really though it's not that rare. Rare to become a star sure, but not rare to become just another guy on a 53 man roster after going through one or 2 scout teams. I also don't expect him to become anything more than a rotational guy. I could have kept going naming guys that are depth players in this league who started by bouncing around from practice squads. Like I said you can find about a dozen on a yearly basis that have this kind of career path.

If Sam becomes one of those dozen guys it won't be here as he's not a great scheme fit but it won't surprise me at all when/if it happens.

And again, what media circus? Once the season started every potential storyline dried up because it's not really a story. He's officially just another guy with a tweener skillset trying to make it in the pros. The media has far bigger fish to fry at this point.

He can't play!!! I have declared it thus, because Jerry Jones says so!!!! You are all politically correct morons!! Only I know the truth!!

The respect and admiration of every man who is afraid to proudly admit they're still straight in this increasingly gay and hostile world.

Jerry Jones? If it helps you sleep at night. What about the other 31 teams that have said no thanks?

It has nothing to do with being right. It has everything to do with adding a player that wouldn't benefit us because AGAIN he doesn't fit our scheme!

For your info. I wish the guy would succeed too. Makes for a great inspirational story, but it looks like it ain't happening.

No I was not doing that. How is it possible to argue a DE = a QB in terms impact in the first place. Especially when the DE was in the SEC and the QB was at Northern Iowa.

Really though it's not that rare. Rare to become a star sure, but not rare to become just another guy on a 53 man roster after going through one or 2 scout teams. I also don't expect him to become anything more than a rotational guy. I could have kept going naming guys that are depth players in this league who started by bouncing around from practice squads. Like I said you can find about a dozen on a yearly basis that have this kind of career path.

I tend to think that there is not much difference between bottom 20 or so percent of players in the league and the top 20 or so percent of players trying to get into the league. At that point, it's largely luck and timing. Sprain an ankle, annoy a special teams coach, or have the flu at the wrong time, and you are on the outside looking in.

The NFL is full of these kinds of stories: Is Danny Woodhead even in football right now if Kevin Faulk doesn't hurt his knee?

Exactly what KingGibbs said, he is a 4-3 end.  Where the hell would we stick him in at?  Oh, wait...I didn't mean to...ahhhh!  NO!

correct me if i'm wrong, but he was a 4-3 end in college, which doesnt mean he's a 4-3 end in the NFL

from nfl.com

BOTTOM LINE

A productive, 4-3 weakside rusher who came on as a senior and it made his last season his best. Could fit most ideally as a 3-4 outside linebacker in a zone-blitzing scheme like the Steelers or Ravens.

this team got 0 sacks vs fitzpatrick. 1 vs eli. 1 vs carson palmer and 1 vs charlie whitehurst. 

4 qb's more statue-esque, you cannot find. 

we're 14th in the league despite getting 10 sacks in one game

our 11 million dollar LB-who is known for not being able to actually sack the quarterback- just went down for the year. he had half a sack in 7 games.

sam apparently cant do anything but sack the QB. and we play the cowboys this week, who just released him. 

and we think he cant possibly play here?

okeedokee.

How does Michael Sam "provide depth?"  I would surmise that he has now been dropped by at least two NFL teams and passed on by 30 others precisely because he lacks potential to add ANY depth!

You're right. Our defense is so good, we don't need to look at any players that have been released.

Think about this...

Some of our starters wouldn't make other teams practice squads.

Then why don't we sign players ON other people's practice squads to replace our starters?  Or if you want to take babysteps, sign other people's practice squad to be our practice squad.  Boom goes the DYNAmite.

Archived