Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sorry, but we need to take a page out of the Cowgirls.

mAshparie36

ABQ I wouldn't even make that decision until at the earliest end of next year. If Griffin stays healthy the rest of this year and all of next year pick up his 5th year and try to sign Cousins again short term to make sure Griffin can stay healthy. Cousins has played his way out of starter money for now and his best shot at starting in this league is actually with the Redskins. If Griffin goes down again for a long period of time, it's his job.

Shanahan sure didn't try to move him around last year. Many long developing only 2 WR routes come to mind as he stood behind a poor offensive line having to wait for the routes to come open. I also don't buy that Mike didn't want him. We all saw the photos of him, Dan and Griffin together and he looked like a kid in the candy store. The stories of him not wanting Griffin came after he left him in the playoff game and the weasel was looking for higher ground and someone to blame IIRC.

You need to pick up the 5th year extension this offseason.  The expiration date is May 3 (?), 2015.  I've read different things on whether the money is guaranteed after you pick up the option.  I don't think it is, so there is no reason not to pick up the option.

I really don't see any reason to try to sign Cousins, other than if he's willing to stay for cheap.  He sees himself as a starter, so he really needs to find a place that will let him compete.

ABQ I wouldn't even make that decision until at the earliest end of next year. If Griffin stays healthy the rest of this year and all of next year pick up his 5th year and try to sign Cousins again short term to make sure Griffin can stay healthy. Cousins has played his way out of starter money for now and his best shot at starting in this league is actually with the Redskins. If Griffin goes down again for a long period of time, it's his job.

Shanahan sure didn't try to move him around last year. Many long developing only 2 WR routes come to mind as he stood behind a poor offensive line having to wait for the routes to come open. I also don't buy that Mike didn't want him. We all saw the photos of him, Dan and Griffin together and he looked like a kid in the candy store. The stories of him not wanting Griffin came after he left him in the playoff game and the weasel was looking for higher ground and someone to blame IIRC.

I do understand this line of thought but honestly, I suspect that the Skins may not have this luxury.   I don't know for sure but from the outside looking in, if I'm RG3, I'm going to want to start as soon as I come back.   If he isn't starting, then that's going to cause problems on the team.   Right now, you are investing time in Cousins and he's going to get better as the season goes on.   It may not translate into wins but he's going to continue to improve.   Come next season, if you bench him, that's going to stunt his developmental process and if RG3 doesn't work out, then your talking about another season, at least, before you get Cousins to a point where he can be an effective starting QB.   I really honestly think it's in Washington's best interests to make a decision on QB sooner, rather then later.  

Of course, that's just my opinion on it.

But do you think Shanahan was right?

It seems like you aren't sure.

No, it' seems like you are not reading what I'm writing.   I believe Shannahan was right in his assessment of RG3's projections to the NFL.   I do not think that his style of play fits very well.   I do believe that RG3 is not a very big QB and I do believe that those two things combine to make it a poor fit for the NFL.   I believe that Shannahan was correct in wanting to go another way at QB.

I do believe Shannahan was right in that RG3 needs to play in an offense that doesn't allow him to take the hits.   The water is now over the bridge and the Skins drafted RG3.   Can't worry about whats done.   You have to design something that will allow the player to have success and protect the investment, regardless of what you might have thought about the decision.   RG3 was clearly not open to that but he should have been.   It's in his best interests to move towards that style of offense, IMO.   Yes, I do believe that Shannahan was right about that as well.

No, it' seems like you are not reading what I'm writing.   I believe Shannahan was right in his assessment of RG3's projections to the NFL.   I do not think that his style of play fits very well.   I do believe that RG3 is not a very big QB and I do believe that those two things combine to make it a poor fit for the NFL.   I believe that Shannahan was correct in wanting to go another way at QB.

Stop beating around the bush, man. Was he right?

Take a page from the Cowgirls? 

Truthfully, building a physical offensive line and a dominant running game is probably the most conservative, tried-n-true approach to building a team. Having those two things in place allows you to overcome a lot of weaknesses. I've seen tons of teams do it, including some of the great Gibbs Redskins teams. 

Take a page from the Cowgirls? 

Truthfully, building a physical offensive line and a dominant running game is probably the most conservative, tried-n-true approach to building a team. Having those two things in place allows you to overcome a lot of weaknesses. I've seen tons of teams do it, including some of the great Gibbs Redskins teams. 

That's exactly what the Skins believed in under Gibbs the first go around.   Noll, Landry, Lombardi, Brown, Parcells, they all won with that formula.   Not saying it's the only way to do it but it does work. 

Wait, Alfred Morris had a record year in 2012 running behind a no-name O-line in Shanny's ZBS. 

Did the ZBS suddenly become ineffective?

Did our line forget how to cut block and get to the next level?

Are Levao and Polumbus so bad the the scheme is simply falling apart?

What?

Wait, Alfred Morris had a record year in 2012 running behind a no-name O-line in Shanny's ZBS. 

Did the ZBS suddenly become ineffective?

Did our line forget how to cut block and get to the next level?

Are Levao and Polumbus so bad the the scheme is simply falling apart?

What?

We don't really do that any longer.

I hope Dallas wins the Super Bowl.

Also, excellent chance that at the end of this season, we will be a combined 0 and 12 in division games over the last two years.

I wouldn't go that far; in fact, I hope they have another heartbreaking choke job at the end of the season.

While I'm impressed with the Cowboys oline, the oline isn't even what I'm most impressed with in regards to their team.  I'm more impressed with their coaching on defense.  On paper, their roster on defense pretty much resembles something I'd see in the 2nd half of a preseason game.  Marinelli has done a fantastic job.  The Cowboys no-name defense was wreaking havoc against the Seahawks on their turf.  The Cowboys by far are the biggest surprise in the league.  We'll see if it's sustainable.

While I'm impressed with the Cowboys oline, the oline isn't even what I'm most impressed with in regards to their team.  I'm more impressed with their coaching on defense.  On paper, their roster on defense pretty much resembles something I'd see in the 2nd half of a preseason game.  Marinelli has done a fantastic job.  The Cowboys no-name defense was wreaking havoc against the Seahawks on their turf.  The Cowboys by far are the biggest surprise in the league.  We'll see if it's sustainable.

Personally, I think it last as far as the health of the OL will take it.   We just don't have a whole lot of depth there.   The good news for me, as a Cowboy fan, is that the team is finally on the right track from an identity standpoint.   We know what we want to be now and I can't really say that this has been true in the recent past.   We wanted to be a big play offense that threw the ball 50 times a game and relied on the Offense to just score more points then the opposition, which isn't really much of an Identity IMO.  

If injuries catch up to us and we eventually come back to earth, I'm still much more encourage by what the Cowboys are doing because that's a problem we can probably remedy in one or two off seasons.    The approach is finally right IMO.

Archived