Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sorry, but we need to take a page out of the Cowgirls.

mAshparie36

3 out of their 5 starting offensive lineman are 1st round draft picks from 2011, 2013, and 2014. 

These guys are making HUGE holes for Murray to run through (who runs hard already as it is) and give Romo ridiculous amount of time (who is good at buying time as it is). 

I don't know why we continually ignore this glaring problem. 

Trent Williams was a great pick. I have hopes that Moses learns to play opposite him. But the rest... 

I said the same thing a couple of weeks ago.  The Cows took a lot of heat for going with linemen instead of beefing up their horrible defense (which now appears to be good with a decent coordinator).  But are reaping the benefits of doing so, now. We definitely need to take a page from their book....

I would think that, first, we may need some additional help in the scouting department.  I mean, not as if we have not drafted and/or picked up Olinemen in FA over the past several seasons.  But, outside of TW....and Lavaman.....where are the rest of the linemen that we drafted?   Yes Ribeye has played some this season, but heck he has been on the team for years now and has not managed to beat anyone out for a starting job. 

I am all for improvements on the Oline.....but not as confident that the current FO can make the correct selections. 

Yup, Snyder and his cronies trying to copy Jones blueprint with the Cowboys... maybe a good idea in theory. But what makes you think the clowns running our Mickey Mouse FO won't screw that up and have it blow up in their faces? The fact that we even have to suggest that maybe they should look at Dallas and try to do what they're doing is just another indictment of our FO's incompetence.

The point is is that Dallas isn't doing anything that every team shouldn't do. Build the O-line and good things will happen. Boy, that Jerry Jones is a brilliant guy. The sad thing is, simple theory or not, I have zero confidence that our FO is capable of anything other than planning homecoming games.

It was a real shame Jerruh didn't win out in the draft room and pick Johnny Football. Instead they got another quality O lineman. That pick was a huge moment for that franchise. Plus, somehow they have Rolando McLain playing at a comeback player of the year level and the rest of their defense is playing above themselves. I guess they finally have found their formula. Even their typical bonehead plays like a blocked punt for TD and two crucial turnovers deep in their end wasn't enough to undo them against the Seahawks in Seattle. They also had a foolish penalty at the end to stop the clock at 1:10 when 40 more seconds could have ran off before the field goal. That was normally a game they lose in soul crushing fashion starting a losing streak but they found a way. The back injury to Romo is the best thing that could have ever happened to them. They were forced to run the ball with Murray at the start of the year and saw that *gasp* it actually works. It's worked before but they always relied on Romo to move the offense. Now Romo is just another guy on the offense and he is thriving in that role. As long as the Cowboys arent derailed by injuries, they can easily win 10 games and make the playoffs. Sad times here in Redskin Land.

Yeah, the Cowgirls have made some good moves in the draft as far as building their O line, but for the 'Skins, we just have to have a draft class or two that aren't total busts. From 2013, we only have Reed and Amerson. And this year, I was ready to see B. Allen get his walking papers when he wasted a pick on a kicker. A kicker, for God sake!

Did anyone catch the comment during the game that The Redskins considered Arizona's Right Guard to be the best Offensive Lineman the Cardinals had?  And that this Guard in particular was acquired from [gasp!] The Washington Redskins(!!!) in 09.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was during the opening innings of Shanahan's tenure.

Shanny was infamous for using an undersized 'athletic' line to execute his Zone Blocking Scheme.  I remember him jettisoning standard sized blockers for his guys.  He never placed a premium on blockers (or rushers for that matter).  So our line became undersized - but to his credit, he did draft our best player, Trent Williams.

And to be fair to Jay Gruden, one of his initial reactions to our roster was that this Offensive Line was not gonna cut it.  Go back and review his comments regarding our Line.  And the Organization did address the Right Side in the draft, taking Moses & Long.  Although by most accounts, they weren't ready to start this season.  But it was a move towards solving the problem going forward. 

Of course right now, no one wants to hear that.  But it did happen.  Further, in Year 1 it is unreasonable to believe that our roster looks like the team that Coach Gruden wants to field.  And naturally, no one wants to hear that either.

I'd love to be high enough to do what Cleveland did to Buffalo and trade back a handful of spots and pick up a first the following year. 

Then again, you could lose out on JJ Watt (I like Kerrigan but uh....) and grab..who did we get again with the extra pick?

It's going to take Gruden some time.   Be patient with him, he's a pretty smart Football Coach.   He'll get things ironed out and you guys will be better.   I'm looking forward to that because I really miss the days when the Cowboys/Redskins games were about championship implications and not draft position games.

I'd rather see the team use all of their picks on defenders, but I won't complain if we AGAIN try to address the O-Line.

Wait a second...when in the past 5-8 years did we really address the offensive line?  It's been a bunch of retreads and low round draft picks (aside from LT) for a while.  Past their prime FA's and 4th round picks is not "addressing the offensive line".

They built the offense around Murray. That is why when Murray goes down, the Cowboys go down.

The most assuredly did not build the offense around Murray, or the running game.  I think that its no better than 50-50 that they'll re-sign Murray.  The emergence of the running game came because they put an emphasis on the O-line, not the other way around.

The real lesson to be learned is from how they went about it.  First, they drafted a stud LT (Smith, #9 in the first round of 2011).  The other two #1 choices were used on non-sexy-but- versatile players.  They got Frederick after trading down (which allowed them to take Terrence Williams in the 3rd round).  They were highly criticized for this move at the time.  Frederick can play center and both guard positions.  Martin was picked at #16 in the first round.  He can play all five OL positions.  Neither Frederick or Martin is a freakish athlete.  Frederick is very intelligent (although he's more of a stump than a bulldozer) and Martin is just all around solid.  This allowed both to play at high levels as rookies and allowed the Cowboys to plug in their other OL wherever they performed the best.  And they signed Smith to a very long term contract.

The bottom line is that you don't need top five draft choices to build a top-five line.  You need a commitment to building the line, even when there are big names on the board.

Did anyone catch the comment during the game that The Redskins considered Arizona's Right Guard to be the best Offensive Lineman the Cardinals had?  And that this Guard in particular was acquired from [gasp!] The Washington Redskins(!!!) in 09.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was during the opening innings of Shanahan's tenure.

I didn't hear this, but Paul Fanaika was drafted by Philly in the 7th round of 2009 (never was active), signed with Seattle in 2011 (was active for only three games) and signed with Arizona in 2012 (where he has started every game).  Arizona's other guard came from Tampa Bay.

Then again, you could lose out on JJ Watt (I like Kerrigan but uh....) and grab..who did we get again with the extra pick?

Hankerson? Jenkins?

I agree maybe the best idea is just to stay put and take the best person there but if we are still around the top 10 there is going to be elite talent available, not necessarily the case trading from 11-19 I think it was in the Watt trade back

Archived