Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spider Nightmare

TD_washingtonredskins

• 1 month later...

I'm terrified of spiders. Long story short, a spider wit an egg sac on it's back tried to get in the front door. I stomped in the the doorway and baby spiders (about 20) started to scatter everywhere. I told my boss about it at the end of the day, he poked it with a stick on a lark. Hundreds of baby spiders then ran into the house, I left and went home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

She finds it way to funny.  Australians can't be that chill seeing that in their daughter's room.  Every second wasted is another they have to decide what they want to do next.

Yeah. **** got an infestation in her house. I wouldn't even expect that many spiders if you set up a shack in the middle of a jungle. I bet @Koolblue13 can tell us more, seeing as he lives on an island (I think).

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah. **** got an infestation in her house. I wouldn't even expect that many spiders if you set up a shack in the middle of a jungle. I bet @Koolblue13 can tell us more, seeing as he lives on an island (I think).

Nothing that bad. Australia is just other worldly wild. We get some as big as your hand here. Centipedes are the big nasty here. Super poisonous.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Shapiro Undergraduate Library temporarily closes due to discovery of brown recluse spiders

Three brown recluse spiders were discovered in the Shapiro Undergraduate Library at the end of January, an email sent to library staff Monday announced. The email, a copy of which was obtained by The Daily, said the recluse spiders were found in a basement machine room in the UGLi by a pest management system.

University spokesperson Kim Broekhuizen wrote in an email to The Daily that the situation is under control.

“Pest Management is working to treat the areas in the buildings where the spiders were found,” Broekhuizen said. 

The email says that a brown recluse spider’s bite can cause severe necrosis, or death of body tissue, in a small number of cases. Though 90% of bites heal quickly without any issues, 10% may lead to severe symptoms. Reactions to brown recluse bites can be delayed by three to eight hours, and the bite itself is painless. The brown recluse spider is not considered endemic to Michigan, but sightings in southeastern Michigan have become more common in recent years. 

Click on the link for the full article

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Terrifying new species of venomous spider is discovered in Miami that looks like a 'small shiny black tarantula' and can live for over 20 YEARS

Scientists have found a new species of spider in Miami that looks like a 'small shiny black tarantula' and has venom that induces painful stings just like a bee.  

The Pine Rockland trapdoor spider (Ummidia richmond) was first found by a zookeeper in the grounds of Zoo Miami in Florida.  

42235974-9512769-The_Pine_Rockland_Trapd

With legs extended, the male is approximately the size of a one pound coin, while the female is estimated to be two to three times larger. 

Ummidia is a trapdoor spider – meaning it lives in a burrow with a hinged cover like a trapdoor to hide from predators and snatch unlucky prey. 

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

NSW warned of funnel-web spider 'plague' as temperatures heat up following floods

Residents across NSW have been warned of a potential funnel-web spider plague due to warm weather following five days of torrential rain and floods around the state.

The Australian Reptile Park has issued a warning urging people to watch out for the emerging threat, particularly as temperatures rise over coming days.

Videos and images showing thousands of spiders escaping floodwaters have been posted online this week, with experts warning the deadly funnel-webs may be among the species seeking shelter in people's homes.

Killer-spiders-flee-home-after-Sydney-fl

3P8mdIch.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Why Jumping Spiders Spend All Night Hanging Out — Literally

Jumping spiders, which use their four pairs of big eyes to spot prey so that they can pounce, can spend a lot of the night just hanging around—literally.

gettyimages-980856498_wide-2d03dc7881c16

A jumping spider - Evarcha arcuata - literally hangs out at nighttime - but this was a surprise, even to a jumping spider researcher.

The gorilla jumping spider, Evarcha arcuata, frequently hangs by a single thread at night, suspended in mid-air for hours. Researchers suspect these visually-oriented spiders may cope with darkness by switching to a strategy that lets them use vibrations as a warning signal of danger.

"Maybe they use this silk as a kind of an alarm system or as a way of getting out of reach for predators," says Harvard University researcher Daniela Roessler, who notes that this new finding shows how science seems to know very little about the night-time resting habits of tiny critters, even common ones.

Roessler had been experimenting with jumping spiders when the pandemic hit, so she went back home to Germany and collected some of the local gorilla jumping spiders. That's when she happened to notice that these spiders had a strange nocturnal ritual.

The first time she saw it was one night after coming home from dinner. "I switched on the light," Roessler recalls, "and I looked on the windowsill and was like, 'Oh God, what happened to these animals? Are they dead?' All of them were hanging from the ceiling of the little plastic boxes that I put them in."

• 2 months later...

Ireland under attack from sex-crazed spiders 'the size of your hand'

AS if spiders couldn't get any more scary. What with all the legs n'all.

At the end of August, Ireland faces being invaded by a swarm of sexually aggressive, fist-sized spiders to really make your skin crawl.

And these aren't just any sex-crazed, fist-sized spiders. These ones can apparently go from zero to 60 in one second.

One second.

2020 just kept getting better and better, didn't it? And it is due for repeat this yesr 2021.

According to experts, these eight-legged freaks were on the prowl for a mate, so the Irish wee being advised to "keep your eyes peeled as well as your wits about you".

The male house spider can grow to have a leg-span of up to 10cm in the mating season (August to September) and people in Ireland are being warned agian this year 2021, to check their sheds, gardens and warm spots in the corners of their homes for the creatures.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-28-at-16.21.25.png

• 2 weeks later...

The great tarantula migration is underway in Colorado

AccuWeather National Reporter Tony Laubach has chased hundreds of tornadoes over dozens of years in numerous locations throughout the United States. But the veteran storm chaser had a new adventure on his plate this week – chasing down tarantulas.

Laubach was in southeastern Colorado on Tuesday for a unique vermin event that has begun drawing large crowds. During the spiders' annual mating season, thousands of the hairy, brown creatures can be found scurrying across the rocky surface of La Junta, Colorado, located about three hours south of Denver.

What are those tarantulas on the hunt for? Not storms, but rather mates. And Laubach said there's one specific reason they come out this time of the year.

"It’s a lot to do with the weather,” Laubach told AccuWeather Broadcast Meteorologist Adam Del Rosso during a segment on AccuWeather Prime. “The male spiders, the ones that you’re seeing, are actually looking to mate. So this isn’t as much of a migration as it is a mate-gration."

The annual showcase of mate-hunting tarantulas has become a tourist attraction in the small Colorado city. Pamela Denahy, the tourist director of Visit La Junta, told Laubach the spiders are "docile creatures."

ezgif.com-gif-maker-34.gif?w=632

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 1:05 PM, China said:

This happens to me on a regular basis.  For some reason, they love my front door, my deck (right at the top of the stairs, how I take my garbage out to the container because I keep it at the end of the stairs and drop about halfway down and don't have to lift it up over my head...science!) 

But my Team hat got snared a few weeks ago and had to have a good cleaning.  I need a second hat.