Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spider Nightmare

TD_washingtonredskins

On 5/9/2019 at 9:10 PM, Passepartout said:

Strange that my dad is scared of spiders but can lift a snake up like a heartbeat.

It's actually not all that uncommon from what I've seen. Those two animals IIRC have among the highest phobia rates of any others but I don't think they're directly correlated. I have spiders as well as a boa constrictor (because of course I have both) and I've met people who were fine with seeing the snake but terrified of the spiders, but also vice versa. Basically I like to hedge my bets to make sure I can terrify whoever comes into my place somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, mistertim said:

It's actually not all that uncommon from what I've seen. Those two animals IIRC have among the highest phobia rates of any others but I don't think they're directly correlated. I have spiders as well as a boa constrictor (because of course I have both) and I've met people who were fine with seeing the snake but terrified of the spiders, but also vice versa. Basically I like to hedge my bets to make sure I can terrify whoever comes into my place somehow. 

So it's a battle for your soul....

Or...the spiders in their mind control are using you to train the snake to be their minion...

• 2 weeks later...

The Huntsman spider apparently living up to its name:

Guests watch in horror as massive huntsman spider eats a possum in their ski lodge

This is the last thing anyone would want to walk in on in their ski lodge.

A man staying at a lodge in Tasmania, Australia, witnessed a horrifying scene: a large huntsman spider eating what appears to be a pygmy possum. The large arachnid clung to the side of the door, clutching its prey and creeping out its unsuspecting audience.

62783823_10156915428536690_1851433931698

64706109_10156915428606690_5770627546764

Click on the link for the full article

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PCS said:

Article makes it sound like these tarantulas are crossing the country in hope of avoiding becoming one of a terrorists promised swarm of virgins.  The articles goes on to say this “Male tarantulas can journey up to a mile.”  A mile?  That’s it?  That’s not exactly trekking across Colorado. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SPIDER INVASION How weird weather is fuelling explosion of venomous false widow spiders whose bites are crippling Brits – find out if YOUR area is at risk

BRITS are being left in excruciating agony because of life-threatening false widow spider bites, whose flesh-eating venom has left victims permanently disabled and even ended their lives.

And right now, experts are warning the threat from false widows is higher than ever before as the country is overrun with the lethal critters.

NINTCHDBPICT000513223099.jpg?w=620

Just this week one young dad was left unable to walk and suffered weeks of agony after being bitten by the venomous beasts in Southampton.

Lewis Pearce, 26, was bitten five times, and his three-year-old son Freddie was also bitten as they slept in their beds, leaving the family petrified.

NINTCHDBPICT000520359044-e1568115902414.

Lewis Pearce can't walk after being bitten five times by a false widow in his bed in Southampton

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Destino said:

why did I click that link...

Brits need to just burn it all down and start over.  It's the only way to be sure. 

Pretty sure that's where the song London Bridges falling down is from. It was a spider infestation..

Kinda like ring around the rosey is about the plague...

• 2 weeks later...

Thousands of tarantulas migrating across Colorado roads

LA JUNTA, Colo. – Every September, a unique wildlife migration occurs in southeast Colorado that can’t be seen many other places.

The Comanche National Grassland is home to thousands and thousands of Oklahoma Brown tarantulas. The grassland is comprised of nearly half a million acres of remote, undeveloped public land just south of La Junta and it is the optimal place to view the tarantulas.

“It’s pretty easy. I see them every year. I don’t even have to try,” said Michelle Stevens, a heritage resources and recreation program manager with the U.S. Forest Service.

While it is commonly referred to as tarantula "migration," the spiders aren’t really migrating from one place to another. Instead, they are emerging from their burrows and traveling an unknown distance in search of a mate. Outside of mating season, tarantulas always stay within two or three inches of their burrow.

Tarantula mating season is weather dependent, but it is always generally at the end of summer or early fall. In 2018, when the weather was cooler, tarantulas could be seen as early as August. This year, peak season is expected the last week of September into the first few days of October.

The best time to view them are early in the morning while it’s still cool and in the evenings beginning in the hour before dusk.

“There are thousands moving but you’re not going to see thousands at one time. They don’t travel in a herd,” Stevens said.

During peak season, though, lucky tarantula viewers could spot dozens in a short time.

“Between La Junta and Trinidad, you might see 60 tarantulas,” wildlife enthusiast Stephen Nielson said. “Cars, you’ll see them swerving to dodge tarantulas.”

Spider-like typing detected:

Why You Really Shouldn’t Kill the Spiders in Your Home, According to an Entomologist

I know it may be hard to convince you, but let me try: Don’t kill the next spider you see in your home.

Why? Because spiders are an important part of nature and our indoor ecosystem – as well as being fellow organisms in their own right.

People like to think of their dwellings as safely insulated from the outside world, but many types of spiders can be found inside. Some are accidentally trapped, while others are short-term visitors. Some species even enjoy the great indoors, where they happily live out their lives and make more spiders. These arachnids are usually secretive, and almost all you meet are neither aggressive nor dangerous. And they may be providing services like eating pests – some even eat other spiders.

My colleagues and I conducted a visual survey of 50 North Carolina homes to inventory just which arthropods live under our roofs. Every single house we visited was home to spiders. The most common species we encountered were cobweb spiders and cellar spiders.

Although they are generalist predators, apt to eat anything they can catch, spiders regularly capture nuisance pests and even disease-carrying insects – for example, mosquitoes. There’s even a species of jumping spider that prefers to eat blood-filled mosquitoes in African homes. So killing a spider doesn’t just cost the arachnid its life, it may take an important predator out of your home.Both build webs where they lie in wait for prey to get caught. Cellar spiders sometimes leave their webs to hunt other spiders on their turf, mimicking prey to catch their cousins for dinner.

It’s natural to fear spiders. They have lots of legs and almost all are venomous – though the majority of species have venom too weak to cause issues in humans, if their fangs can pierce our skin at all. Even entomologists themselves can fall prey to arachnophobia. I know a few spider researchers who overcame their fear by observing and working with these fascinating creatures. If they can do it, so can you!

Spiders are not out to get you and actually prefer to avoid humans; we are much more dangerous to them than vice versa.

Click on the link for the rest

Ya know,I get that Matt,(author of the article I believe),I really do. Hell I don't kill too many of them except the black widows in areas that might have us or others have a conflict. However,I want you to explain this to my wife with the understanding that it's never going to work. ;)