Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spider Nightmare

TD_washingtonredskins

On 7/15/2020 at 5:09 PM, China said:

I'm guessing they wen't through his mail slot.  These ants were caught stealing mail.  I guess that's the first step; recon to get info, then the assault:

this person is embarrassed that their vibrator got turned on in the mail....   oh, what a tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive ....

52 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

this person is embarrassed that their vibrator got turned on in the mail....   oh, what a tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive ....

:rofl89:    I find it hard to believe that it came with batteries.  They normally...nevermind.  It's been a while.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

:rofl89:    I find it hard to believe that it came with batteries.  They normally...nevermind.  It's been a while.  :ph34r:

batteries!!?? it HAS been a long time.   

before you got that newfangled one.... did you have one operated by hand crank...?  

giphy.webp

Edited by mcsluggo
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Town 'haunted' by child singing creepy nursery rhyme for year finally learn where it's coming from

“It’s raining, it’s pouring, the old man is snoring.

"He went to bed and bumped his head and couldn’t get up in the morning.”

As nursery rhymes go, it's certainly not the best one, once you think about its creepy undertones.

It is especially creepy when you repeatedly hear it being sung by a child late at night, and officials areunable to find out where the sound is coming from.

Residents in Ipswich were left terrified after they started hearing the eerie song in September 2017.

They spoke to local paper the Ipswich Star in 2018, after being plagued by the creepy nursery rhyme for almost an entire year.

"It was waking me up in the night, it was absolutely terrifying,” one woman told the paper.

She added: “I heard it at all times of the night — 1 a.m., 2 a.m., 4 a.m. — it was sporadic, sometimes it would play once, other times it was over and over. Last week it played for hours, it was just horrible.”

Ipswich Borough Council took the complaint seriously, with the rapid response team driving to the scene to track down where the noise was coming from.

They finally tracked it down after Ms Randle called in after being woken up by the sound at 11.15 pm on 10 September.

The good news is that it wasn't a creepy ghost that was haunting residents - it was a motion alarm being triggered by spiders.

0_Ipswich-woman-terrified-by-nursery-rhy

A spokesperson for the site said: “The sound is only supposed to act as a deterrent for opportunistic thieves that come onto our property, and it is designed only to be heard by people on our private land.

“We are now aware of the problem – the motion sensors were being triggered by spiders crawling across the lenses of our cameras and it looks like we’ve had it turned up too loudly.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

World's most venomous spider found in store-bought bananas

Spiders and bananas don’t mix.

A father says that he found one of the most venomous spiders in the world hiding in a bunch of bananas that he bought from a supermarket. Fortunately, the spider was dead by the time it was found and no one was injured.

“I emptied the whole bag into a plastic box, and as soon as it fell out I put lid on it and I could tell it wasn’t moving," he explained. "We Googled it and it looks 99% like the wandering spider."

Named after its tendency to roam forest floors at night, the wandering spider has been named as the most venomous spider in the world by the Guinness Book of World Records. Native to South America, they are usually found on banana leaves in the wild.

• 1 month later...

'That was a moment': Queensland Health Minister Yvette D'Ath's press conference interrupted by spider

There's been more than one unwelcome gatecrasher at a political press conference during the pandemic, but Queensland Health Minister Yvette D'Ath today kept her cool when faced with arguably the most disturbing one yet.

Ms D'Ath was speaking about the need for businesses to comply with vaccine orders when she broke off mid-sentence and looked down.

"Okay, can somebody please get that spider off?" she said.

A curious huntsman spider had apparently approached the minister while she was talking and made its presence known.

Click on the link for the video

• 1 month later...

TikTokers Scream As Huntsman Spider Lands On Their Car Window In Drive-Thru

A viral video on TikTok shows the terrifying moment a huntsman spider terrorized a girl in a McDonald's drive-thru.

In the video, the driver is ordering coffee at a McDonald's in Melbourne, Australia, when the enormous and poisonous creature quickly crawled across the windshield.

The driver attempted to finish her order but kept screaming every time the spider scurried around the glass.

"He wouldn’t stop running at the window every time we put it down to order," the video creator posted in the comments.

She also told viewers how one of the employees "tried to flick him off the car with a straw."

• 2 weeks later...

A Black Widow Delivered Some Harsh Truths To A Trio Of Aspiring Spider Men

Three boys in Bolivia learned the hard way that with great power comes fevers, tremors, and muscle pains as they tried to inherit the powers of Spider-Man by letting a black widow spider bite them. The boys aged 8, 10, and 12 fortunately didn’t succumb to the unfortunate incident and were released from hospital a week later, sadly sans superpowers.

According to a report from Ministry of Health officials, the three boys from Chayanta, Bolivia, were herding goats when eight-legged inspiration struck as they discovered a spider whose black and red markings reminded them of the superhero. Spurred on by the allure of spidey senses, the ability to climb walls, and shoot webs, they decided to try and make the spider bite them so they could be like the famed hero. Unaware of the creature’s potent venom, they decided to poke the spider with a stick in an attempt to goad it into biting them. The angry black widow took the bait and bit all three boys who were later found crying by their mother.

She rushed the boys to a nearby health center where, as no medications seemed to be improving their condition, it was decided they should be transferred to hospital. By the time they reached the Children’s Hospital in La Paz they were experiencing fevers, tremors, and muscle pains. After a week of treatment, the boys were eventually discharged from the hospital and sent home to recover from their less than Marvel-ous adventure.

• 1 month later...

Giant venomous spiders infiltrated the southeastern US and are expected to spread rapidly, experts say

The itsy-bitsy spider climbed up the waterspout ... and all across the East Coast.

Except in this case, the spider in question is not so little, according to Benjamin Frick, coauthor of a study of the Jorō spider species published in the journal Physiological Entomology.

d77a577b-671d-4775-940a-c4cc3f274da7-lar

Jorō spiders, or Trichonephila clavata, can grow up to 4 inches (10 centimeters) in length — about the size of the palm of your hand or larger — and they could spread into the northeastern United States, he said.

With spindly legs and a striking black, yellow and gray-striped abdomen, the spiders are native to southeastern Asia, but already spread nearly a decade ago to the southeastern United States with its warm climate, said Frick, an undergraduate ecology student at the University of Georgia in Athens.

In his research, Frick determined that the Jorō spider can exist in colder climates, too, which is why a spread to the Northeast is possible.

Jorō spiders are not a threat, and there is no data to prove they are harmful to the environments where they've moved, according to Frick.

"In light of this, people should not embark on spider genocide — all this would achieve is the needless killing of a beautiful animal," he said.

Jorō spiders are venomous, meaning they can poison certain creatures like insects for a meal, according to Paula Cushing, senior curator of invertebrate zoology at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. She was not involved in the study.

These spiders can be considered more of a nuisance, as they build three-dimensional webs in open spaces such as some hiking or biking paths, Cushing said.

"The biggest danger to humans is that you might get a face-full of lovely golden silk if you walk through the web," she said in an email.

Edited by China

• 3 weeks later...

Hand-sized spiders returning to Britain in droves after recovering from near extinction

Huge hand-sized spiders that can walk on water have bounced back from the brink of extinction in Britain.

The UK's biggest spiders are booming according to encouraging research which will send shivers down an arachnophobe's spine.

Despite their numbers dwindling dangerously close to ceasing to survive a decade ago, the fen raft spider is now looking healthy in numbers.

0_The-Rare-Reft-Spder-with-its-lunch-a-C

The RSPB's Tim Strudwick said: "This is one of the UK’s rarest invertebrates, as beautiful as any, and we are really proud of the part our reserve and team has played in its recovery.

"The females are impressive in size, but elegant and quite beautiful, even to an arachnophobe (like me!)."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well this would be the 6th or 7th one I have found in the last few days as I start the latest remodel the back/side yard project. She was the biggest one so far. I've relocated several of them to areas away from any high traffic area but a few didn't make it either. There will be more over the next few weeks I'm sure. Good thing I'm not skiddish with these things. :) 

image.jpeg.c699e048f7ebaa0b82327b90aa8e1a23.jpeg

• Thumb up 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome spiders into your home and say no to pest control, expert says

The pest control sales pitch to rid her Toronto home of spiders and centipedes really bugged Antonia Guidotti. 

The entomologist has studied insects and spiders for the past 25 years and was quick to inform the door-to-door salesperson earlier this month that these animals, along with pill bugs and wasps, are not pests. 

And they definitely do not need to be sprayed with chemicals  — indoors or outside. 

"Spiders and centipedes are predators, pill bugs are decomposers and wasps are actually very important as pollinators in our ecosystem," Guidotti, an entomology technician at the Royal Ontario Museum, told CBC News.

"He ran away pretty quickly." 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMfSDSQfV1aRaMJ2heRFV

What Antonia Guidotti may look like

On 5/29/2022 at 9:22 PM, PCS said:

Well this would be the 6th or 7th one I have found in the last few days as I start the latest remodel the back/side yard project. She was the biggest one so far. I've relocated several of them to areas away from any high traffic area but a few didn't make it either. There will be more over the next few weeks I'm sure. Good thing I'm not skiddish with these things. :) 

image.jpeg.c699e048f7ebaa0b82327b90aa8e1a23.jpeg

I'd have relocated that ****er to the bottom of my boot.

HTTR!

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:26 AM, China said:

Giant venomous spiders infiltrated the southeastern US and are expected to spread rapidly, experts say

The itsy-bitsy spider climbed up the waterspout ... and all across the East Coast.

Except in this case, the spider in question is not so little, according to Benjamin Frick, coauthor of a study of the Jorō spider species published in the journal Physiological Entomology.

d77a577b-671d-4775-940a-c4cc3f274da7-lar

Jorō spiders, or Trichonephila clavata, can grow up to 4 inches (10 centimeters) in length — about the size of the palm of your hand or larger — and they could spread into the northeastern United States, he said.

With spindly legs and a striking black, yellow and gray-striped abdomen, the spiders are native to southeastern Asia, but already spread nearly a decade ago to the southeastern United States with its warm climate, said Frick, an undergraduate ecology student at the University of Georgia in Athens.

In his research, Frick determined that the Jorō spider can exist in colder climates, too, which is why a spread to the Northeast is possible.

Jorō spiders are not a threat, and there is no data to prove they are harmful to the environments where they've moved, according to Frick.

"In light of this, people should not embark on spider genocide — all this would achieve is the needless killing of a beautiful animal," he said.

Jorō spiders are venomous, meaning they can poison certain creatures like insects for a meal, according to Paula Cushing, senior curator of invertebrate zoology at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. She was not involved in the study.

These spiders can be considered more of a nuisance, as they build three-dimensional webs in open spaces such as some hiking or biking paths, Cushing said.

"The biggest danger to humans is that you might get a face-full of lovely golden silk if you walk through the web," she said in an email.

A couple of days ago I ended up taking out about a dozen of these ****s on my property.  Just got home and noticed one had set up shop where I previously "marginalized" the former occupant.

Evidently, I need to send another message. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 8:40 PM, China said:

A father says that he found one of the most venomous spiders in the world hiding in a bunch of bananas that he bought from a supermarket. Fortunately, the spider was dead by the time it was found and no one was injured.

I mean, everyone knows a beautiful bunch of ripe bananas hide the deadly black tarantula.  I thought this was common knowledge.