Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

32 teams passed up russell wilson multiple times...

just sayin... 

He's gonna malfunction soon.

Dude, you may be the dumbest person EVER to post anything on this site!!  Guess what, there were 31 other teams that passed up Tom Brady at least 6 times before he was drafted in the 6th round.

We're talking about 2001/2002, not who got drafted when. It's 2001, you go into the season, you can pick either Dilfer or Brady and you go with Dilfer because the year before he won a ring with the Ravens. Smart choice.

He's gonna malfunction soon.

We're talking about 2001/2002, not who got drafted when. It's 2001, you go into the season, you can pick either Dilfer or Brady and you go with Dilfer because the year before he won a ring with the Ravens. Smart choice.

OK, I will continue to play your stupid game, if it is 2001, yes I would take Dilfer over Tom Brady.  Why?  BECAUSE every team in the NFL would have done the same thing.  Trent Dilfer won a SB and Tom Brady was not drafted to be a starter in this league, it was by fluke injury to Bledsoe he was given an opportunity to play.  Now, if you want to talk hindsight (because it is 20/20), ALL 32 teams would have leaped at the chance to draft Tom Brady as would I.

They brought back the read option exactly for that reason. Not sure why so many fans have a hard time seeing this. RGIII looked great in 2012 running a very simplified offense which utilized is legs and didn't require him to read a lot of defenses. We had a great running game which took more pressure off of him. He has definitely struggled to pick up this new offense and instead of force feeding it to him, they decided to bring the read option back which to no ones surprise, he looked good running it. Then, to no one's surprise, he got hurt again!

He got hurt rolling out to his right, not running the ball. Basic play that has nothing to do with the RO.

Don't state he has struggled to pick up the offense when you have no idea if thats true. He has played one game where he did exactly what the coached asked. Struggling is throwing 4 picks in one game, not completing 80% of your passes.

Gruden has been saying since he got here that the read option would be part of the offense. So he runs it during the game, but now you want to attribute it to a struggling RG3? Please dude, I know you're upset that Kirk was what everyone said he was, but you don't need to go making stuff up to prove a point. Thats just embarrassing.

OK, I will continue to play your stupid game, if it is 2001, yes I would take Dilfer over Tom Brady.  Why?  BECAUSE every team in the NFL would have done the same thing.  Trent Dilfer won a SB and Tom Brady was not drafted to be a starter in this league, it was by fluke injury to Bledsoe he was given an opportunity to play.  Now, if you want to talk hindsight (because it is 20/20), ALL 32 teams would have leaped at the chance to draft Tom Brady as would I.

You are either insane or clueless. Possibly both. Dilfer was a bum, he was not a good QB. He won a ring because he had an elite running game and possibly the best defense in history to cover his back, as well as a HOF TE he could throw to on every play. My left shoe could have won the superbowl with the Ravens as a QB that year. Brady already was a good starting QB at that point, he was NE's franchise QB, objectively he was just way more skilled than Dilfer. You put both those guys in the same exact offense and Brady beats the crap out of Dilfer statistically. For you to say that teams would have picked Dilfer over Brady is just ridiculous, like everything else you've been saying here.

You are either insane or clueless. Possibly both. Dilfer was a bum, he was not a good QB. He won a ring because he had an elite running game and possibly the best defense in history to cover his back, as well as a HOF TE he could throw to on every play. My left shoe could have won the superbowl with the Ravens as a QB that year. Brady already was a good starting QB at that point, he was NE's franchise QB, objectively he was just way more skilled than Dilfer. You put both those guys in the same exact offense and Brady beats the crap out of Dilfer statistically. For you to say that teams would have picked Dilfer over Brady is just ridiculous, like everything else you've been saying here.

If you want to continue debating the Redskins, I'm all in. Until that point, have a great day. The only thing you are doing is trying to stir some crap up with something that has no bearing on anything in this thread. Problem is, I jumped right in with you.

You should change your name to Bubble Head. You make no sense. And the fact that you actually think you know what you're talking about makes it even more hilarious than it already is.

What doesn't make sense? Instead of attacking everyone's posts that don't agree with you, how about learning how to have a rational discussion about why you think you are correct.

It seems you have painted me as a RGIII hater and a Cousins lover. Neither could be farther from the truth. I've always been about the name on the front, not on back. If a guy isn't playing well and/or living up to expectations, I'm going to point it out. Your constant insults aren't going to get you anywhere.

Ok, so  what was RGIII coming out of college?  Using your statement and applying it to RGIII, does that mean RGIII can't overcome his instincts/muscle memory either?  RGIII is a spread option QB, not a pocket passer, never has been one.  If I use the same on him, we really can't expect him to be better in this system either.  Looks like we are screwed either way we go.

Robert was a Heisman Trophy winning, highly accurate, low INT type of QB that could throw from inside or outside of the pocket, long, medium and short throws. That is what Robert was coming out of college.  The spread is just the type of offense his team ran.

I like Cousins. I just don't think he's a starting QB in the NFL. He lacks arm strength, he can't scan the field, he locks on to receivers, he makes bad decisions all the time, he can't create plays, he struggles bigtime under pressure, he can't carry the offense like a franchise QB should. Just because I don't buy into the hype or didn't buy into the hype doesn't mean I don't like him or hate him. Off the field he seems like a down to earth, classy guy. He always says the right things. I like him off the field, I'd like him to stick around as a backup. But that's it. He's not a starter. Much less a franchise QB.

Dude has 6 career starts. I'd relax. Tom Brady looks pretty bad so far this season too. I guess he's not a starting caliber player either.

I'm staying medium. Young kid, very little experience, made some bad plays, as well as some pretty damn good ones the past few weeks, before the Giants game. Has shown good and bad. The turnover differential between him and RGIII boils down to two main factors.

1) RGIII is athletic, and can scramble, whereas kirk is nowhere near as fast. This gets RGIII out of trouble sometimes. Kirk stands in the pocket and tries to find a guy, but needs to get better at just turfing it if there is nothing there. Live to see another play.

2) RGIII barely ever, if ever, throws into tight coverage. If a guy isn't noticeably open, the ball doesn't get thrown. This cuts down on his turnovers quite a bit, but also means he can't make the good, tight throws. If dudes aren't wide open, he starts running. He has a strong arm, but doesn't throw guys open either.

Really, I'm not sure our QB of the future is on the roster.

Dude has 6 career starts. I'd relax. Tom Brady looks pretty bad so far this season too. I guess he's not a starting caliber player either.

I'm staying medium. Young kid, very little experience, made some bad plays, as well as some pretty damn good ones the past few weeks, before the Giants game. Has shown good and bad. The turnover differential between him and RGIII boils down to two main factors.

1) RGIII is athletic, and can scramble, whereas kirk is nowhere near as fast. This gets RGIII out of trouble sometimes. Kirk stands in the pocket and tries to find a guy, but needs to get better at just turfing it if there is nothing there. Live to see another play.

2) RGIII barely ever, if ever, throws into tight coverage. If a guy isn't noticeably open, the ball doesn't get thrown. This cuts down on his turnovers quite a bit, but also means he can't make the good, tight throws. If dudes aren't wide open, he starts running. He has a strong arm, but doesn't throw guys open either.

Really, I'm not sure our QB of the future is on the roster.

The Tom Brady thing is not a good comparison because Tom Brady was a better QB than Kirk in his first 6 starts and now. Tom Brady has done it.  He will be a Hall of Famer! Aaron Rodgers started this year off struggling too, so has Drew Brees. But you can't talk about those guys in the same sentence with Kirk Cousins.

The main difference with RG3 and Kirk for me is RG3 is flat out better. Maybe not as a pocket passer. But he is a better passer than Kirk and make better decisions. Kirks turnover ratio is simply because he doesn't read defenses that well and only focus on what and where his WR's suppose to be and he throws it.

I'm sure we have our QB of the future on the roster! I'm not sure the fans realize it. That's why we remain where we are. We keep buying the hype and fools gold. Patients is out the door as it relates to the fans of this team.

Silly comparison. At the time they were drafted and in their rookie seasons RG3 was twice as good / effective as Wilson. It's ridiculous to compare him now to Wilson who's had 3 years under his belt in a great offense on a great team with plenty of help around him while RG3 missed a lot of time, basically 2 years, due to injuries etc. and now is being asked to play in a completely different offense. For Wilson nothing changed in 3 years, he's had a great offense around him for 3 years and the best defense in football. Why would you compare them NOW? How does that make sense. Compare Wilson to Luck, that's more appropriate.

Your homerism for RG3 is clouding your judgement. Lol. Twice as good as Wilson? SMH.

That can be argued as it related to their "rookie" season as he stated.

No way did RG3 play twice as good his rookie season. You can certainly argue that RG3 played better. I actually think he did as he had 800 plus yards rushing to pish him over the top. But it's not like he blew him away or anything.

Do you understand anything about football? Have you ever actually played football? You come off absolutely clueless. Anybody in the NFL can throw a ball 60 yards, that's not arm strength. Bombs float, anybody can do that. Arm strength comes into play on short / intermediate throws, on curls to the sideline for instance, that's when the ball sails on a lot of quarterbacks, that's when you throw those pick 6's if you don't have a laser and give the corner enough time to react. RG3 has a laser, Kaepernick has a laser. Cousins has a noodle arm. So does Andy Dalton. He throws the ball downfield a lot but that doesn't give him a big arm.

I like Cousins. I just don't think he's a starting QB in the NFL. He lacks arm strength, he can't scan the field, he locks on to receivers, he makes bad decisions all the time, he can't create plays, he struggles bigtime under pressure, he can't carry the offense like a franchise QB should. Just because I don't buy into the hype or didn't buy into the hype doesn't mean I don't like him or hate him. Off the field he seems like a down to earth, classy guy. He always says the right things. I like him off the field, I'd like him to stick around as a backup. But that's it. He's not a starter. Much less a franchise QB.

I understand more than you do. Chad Pennington? Noodle arm. Beck? Noodle arm. When Cousins doesn't set his feet and snap through with his hips, his balls are inaccurate. When he sets his feet has the correct mechanics, he makes all the throws easily. That's obvious as je did it over and over against Philly, and in some of his other starts. Does he have a Jay Cutler type or arm? No.

Let's see how Kirk does these next few weeks. He stunk last week as did the entire offense outside of Morris and Helu. He needs to play within himself, not try to be a hero, run the offense, keep his eyes in the middle of the field and not tip off where he's going with the ball. I think this is going to be a close game.

No way did RG3 play twice as good his rookie season. You can certainly argue that RG3 played better. I actually think he did as he had 800 plus yards rushing to pish him over the top. But it's not like he blew him away or anything.

Why do people even bring up Wilson? Wilson only had a few hundred yards more than RG3 last year and RG3 didn't play 3 games. LOL!! Wilson job is NOT to lose the game. Wilson does NOT carry his team and was NEVER asked to. He's playing on a top 5 defensive team, that scored 17 plus pts in the Superbowl. That has WON games for them in spite of Wilson's poor play at times.

RG3 was put position from day 1 to carry this team despite a horrible defense and special teams. It's funny how some readily forget that to try and make some useless point that's NOT based on facts. A better team was put around Luck as well. That's simply a fact. RG3 still has work to do. But some of you just don't give him crediit at the very least for what he has accomplished. Even though it's obviously not enough in some of you eyes.

NOT saying you per say Alexa. But the RG3 vs Wilson argument is silly.

But that's my last post about RG3. This thread is about Kirk Cousins who I also think needs more time. Whether it's good or bad. I'm not writing him off either. I want him to be successful because I'm a Redskin fan. I just think RG3 is better.

If you say so. But,  Luck and Wilson had solid rookie seasons. RG3 had a historic rookie season. Ignore it all you want but the stats don't lie.

His td to int rate was outstanding. As was his rushing yards. But he also was not playing in the same type of offense as Luck. If he was there is no question he has more than 5 picks. But that was a long time ago. A lot has changed since then.

His td to int rate was outstanding. As was his rushing yards. But he also was not playing in the same type of offense as Luck. If he was there is no question he has more than 5 picks. But that was a long time ago. A lot has changed since then.

See, here we go again. Where we speaking of their rookie season? Or what has changed since then? I was speaking strictly about their ROOKIE season. Nothing more, nothing less. Then here goes the "if he where there" this or that would've happened. How can you say that???  Why when a certain fact is made, something is always added to bring out another hidden agenda point?

RG3 was HURT in 2013 people! And Wilson still only threw for a few hundred yards more. And, RG3 played in 3 less games! RG3 is LEARNING another offense. Luck and Wilson are in the same system with the same coaching staff. Why people? Just WHY??? Gee wiz........it never stops!

You'll are NOT comparing apples to apples here. Please STOP! This is a Kirk Cousins thread. Why in the heck is RG3 always dragged in a Kirk Cousins discussion. Then drag other QB's in to make a point about our QB's short comings. The fact is ALL those other QB's play for a MUCH BETTER team. PERIOD!

Comparing our team/defense to Seattle, is like comparing a HEMI to a VW engine! Then, blame it on the driver because you lost the race. SMH Give him a better FREAKING CAR with a better ENGINE if you want to be competitive.

What doesn't make sense? Instead of attacking everyone's posts that don't agree with you, how about learning how to have a rational discussion about why you think you are correct.

It seems you have painted me as a RGIII hater and a Cousins lover. Neither could be farther from the truth. I've always been about the name on the front, not on back. If a guy isn't playing well and/or living up to expectations, I'm going to point it out. Your constant insults aren't going to get you anywhere.

You honestly want me to tell you to not talk about what goes inside RG3's head, acting like an out of job shrink? And then you have the nerves to come up with the term "rational discussion"? You're trying to give yourself too much credit with that. How do you have rational discussions with somebody who clearly lost his mind?

And his rookie season was 2 years ago, what has he done since? He won 3 games and that's it, 3 games!

He was also coming off a major injury and did more than enough to win at least another 3 of those games if the redskins had an NFL level defense, special teams and offensive line. If you are going to just break it down to wins, those things should be considered. There are a lot of worse things in the world than a QB coming back off a major injury and playing .500 ball with an average NFL season of stats. This was supposed to be the season where we would see what Griffin had and what we could expect for the future and instead he gets hurt 1st quarter game 2. Ill admit that is very troubling.

I don't think Cousins can succeed here and it's a toxic situation for him. He tries to do too much because of the circumstances he is in. He has to prove he can be a starter in this league whenever he gets a chance and he just doesn't have the supporting cast on all sides of the ball to help him out. He played great in that eagles game and should have been handing the ball off at the end for the win, instead he has to go back out and try to win the game again, fails and his great day has a asterisk beside it. He isnt clutch, doesnt have moxy. Giants game the defense is allowing Manning to make them look silly so again he has to throw most downs trying to make something happen. This team plays best when we run the ball, yet we keep asking our QBs to throw the ball 30+ times. The pressure on him and Griffin is enormous and Cousins doesn't handle it as well. I think Cousins would be a completely different QB if he was the unquestioned starter and played for a team that committed to running the ball. Instead he plays for a team where he is the backup, has probably pressure from himself to perform well, pressure from this team for him to play perfect for us to have a chance to win and have him throwing the ball over 30 times. That's a lot to ask from Cousins, who was a 4th round pick as it is.

Look what has happened over 3 weeks. Cousins plays great football for 2 weeks and he is the talk of the league. Its his job to lose, reports are Griffin would accept a backup role, things look great for him. Then he struggles in a game where it's on his shoulders to make something happen through the air. Drives us down to get it to 21-14 at half and Paulson has a ridiculously silly turnover. 24-14 he makes a mistake and all of a sudden it's 31-14 and he has to throw when the defense knows he has to throw. He crumbles and is now back to being nothing more than a backup. Yeah these guys make millions and should be mentally tough, but that's a toxic situation to be in. Hindsight it would have almost been best for us to have benched him after the Eagles game, gotten our 1st or 2nd pick for him during the offseason and both parties move on lol. These are brakes in the NFL though and Cousins won't be the first or last QB that never really had a chance to flourish under great circumstances allowing him to grow into the best player he could be.

You quickly went from laughing to pretty much agreeing with me. You're some piece of work.

Wilson in the middle of the season was close to being benched before stringing together a solid 2nd half to secure his job. RG3 played at an all pro level from week 1 through week 17.

Archived