Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

It looks to me like Kirk makes bad decisions under pressure, both actual physical pressure and the mental pressure to turn around a game. I don't know if that can be coached out of him, he seems smart but he's also had a couple of years now to get it out of his system.

This hopefully will go away, hopefully. It's those timely INT's that he throws that I hope he can settle down and take better care of the ball. I think he can win the Seattle game though. That's if he can settle down.  Well........I hope he can win the Seattle game. LOL

I think every QB in the league, when they get pressure and knocked around a bit, they start doing things they normally don't do. Peyton does it, Brady did it Monday night, Jay Cutler did it last week, I could keep going. What's important is the coaches need to have a scheme where Kirk isn't getting knocked around. Max protect and make sure we're not sending out 5 guys. Protection should be the first priority Monday. And for god sakes do not leave Polumbus alone in pass pro.

I think every QB in the league, when they get pressure and knocked around a bit, they start doing things they normally don't do. Peyton does it, Brady did it Monday night, Jay Cutler did it last week, I could keep going. What's important is the coaches need to have a scheme where Kirk isn't getting knocked around. Max protect and make sure we're not sending out 5 guys. Protection should be the first priority Monday. And for god sakes do not leave Polumbus alone in pass pro.

I totally agree Alexa. I think the coaches need to work the running game monday night to take some pressure off Kirk. If he throws the ball like you stated, protect Polumbus side for God sakes. If they press at the LOS they should work our TE against their LB on quick throws to neutralize their pass rush a bit. But I 100% agree with you here.

I agree with what you are saying, but was Kirk really getting knocked around that much during this game?  It didn't seem like it to me.  I don't recall the giants crawling around near Kirk's feet or hitting him on every 2 out of 3 drop backs. 

He's been doing these things his entire college and pro career though.

We all laughed when the Broncos said they could fix Tebow's mechanics, QBs like Kirk are mostly finished products coming out of college. I don't forsee him learning to overcome his instincts/muscle memory and to look to other reads consistently, and I especially don't see him developing enough arm strength to make a real difference in how his passes get there.

A-aron Rodgers tweaked his mechanics while waiting 3 years to get in for Favre and it worked wonders for him. 

Confident young quarterbacks throw interceptions. I can't remember who i was listening to, somebody on the radio or TV last week.. might have been Brian Billick.. and he said that the problem and benefit of Kirk is that he thinks he can make every throw, he is so confident in himself that he KNOWS he can make every throw, and the fact is he can't, and he won't. he may eventually, but right now he can't. 

And like a lot of young QBs with huge confidence, it's confidence born of being able to be that good at the previous level. Right now defenses and defensive players are at a level he has not learned to master yet.

So there is one of two things that can happen going forward.

1. he will still believe he can make every throw and just get better at every throw and start putting balls in where they need to go, ala Peyton Manning (another "interception machine" in his first two years), or

2. He will realize his limitations and mold his game around them, so he cuts down on mistakes. the short side of that is he could possibly depress his development and limit his potential.

So realizing Kirk is going to throw INTs, the question is then, do we want him to learn from them in the manner of 1, which means more INTS and probably lost games while he becomes a quarterback that matches his own expectation, or 2, have him cut down on picks and perhaps become less of a QB then he could be.

~Bang

I for one am glad that Jay Grudes is going to ride it out with Kirk; instead of giving the ball to McCoy.  Because Kirk is too smart to keep doing the same dumb stuff.  Giants Safety Antrel Rolle said in John Keim's post about it that they felt if they could get pressure up in Kirk's face that his effeciency would plummet.  We all know that Seattle will take the same approach.  I'm sure Gruden will adjust his game plan some (more screens, runs, read option, etc) but there will be times when it's 3rd and long and Kirk has to face down the blitz and make a play down field.  If he can show marked improvement over the giants game then that says a lot about him as a player and his potential.  Every player goes thru a stage where they're world beaters, then defenses figure them out, then they either adjust and overcome or they become journeymen QB's who baby sit for the next new guy.

I think Kirk can adjust because I like what Rolle said about him if not pressured.

“So that was something that we put a point of emphasis on: make sure we put pressure in his face, get him uncomfortable in the pocket,” Rolle said. “Because if he sits in the pocket, it doesn’t matter who you are in the defensive backfield, that guy is very accurate, and he’ll rip you apart. So it all started up front; those guys did a phenomenal job, and we were just able to capitalize in the back end.”

I think Cooley said it best this past Wednesday, in analyzing Kirk's performance in his INTs in detail, Cooley said Kirk stopped reading the defense and began just hoping something good would happen. I agree, and felt that way from the moment he threw the one interception to his right flat. He completely misread the defense thinking the corner was playing man when he was actually in zone. 

Yet even worse than Kirk's performance was Gruden's unwillingness to take some of the pressure off him and run the ball. There is never any excuse for Morris to only get 12 carries. This game got out of hand when Gruden tried to pretend Cousins was Peyton and completely ignored the fact that Cousins wasn't capable. One the first drive in the second half, we scored with ease by relying on the running game, then the next three drives were a trainwreck. Gruden has to call the game better than this or it won't matter who is at QB. 

I think Cooley said it best this past Wednesday, in analyzing Kirk's performance in his INTs in detail, Cooley said Kirk stopped reading the defense and began just hoping something good would happen. I agree, and felt that way from the moment he threw the one interception to his right flat. He completely misread the defense thinking the corner was playing man when he was actually in zone. 

Yet even worse than Kirk's performance was Gruden's unwillingness to take some of the pressure off him and run the ball. There is never any excuse for Morris to only get 12 carries. This game got out of hand when Gruden tried to pretend Cousins was Peyton and completely ignored the fact that Cousins wasn't capable. One the first drive in the second half, we scored with ease by relying on the running game, then the next three drives were a trainwreck. Gruden has to call the game better than this or it won't matter who is at QB. 

Very well said. I thought he should've gave Morris more touches as well since the game was within 10pts. But Gruden has been known to throw more than he passes though. I just hope that philosophy changes for the Seattle game to take pressure off Kirk.

Choosing RGIII over Luck....nice first post.  Guess our real problem came in not tanking the '11 season like the Dolts did to enable them to get that first pick and the choice of 2 promising young QB's......and, I forgot, who did win that OROY in '12?

I did read that article where Rolle spoke about Cousins....and how his QB rating went from over 100 when only 4 rushed him, to around 60 or 70 when 5 or more rushers were used by the D.  A young QB performs better with a clean pocket....huh go figure....same would apply to Robert as well. 

To me, the line has been an issue for the past several seasons.....it is not a line that can consistently pass protect for a drop back style passing game.....and Robert's ability to move in the pocket combined with the read option in '12 concealed just how inadequate the smaller zone blocking linemen were in traditional pass pro.  I have read to many posts in various Redskin forums trying to tell me that the Oline play for pass protection was actually pretty good, and it was just the poor play of Robert that was at fault.  Glad that myth seems to have been dispelled with KC having similar issues. 

The larger problem to me with KC is the other Rolle comment about KC staring down receivers....which the 980 radio crew mentioned during the game as well.  The Gnats picked up some type of tell from KC, apparently, and it helped them make some big plays against our O.  I can only hope that Gruden and McVay have picked up on this tell, and are working with KC to negate it. 

KC has to get the INT issue under control.....just as Almo needs to work to secure the ball better than he has been doing thusfar.  This team cannot afford turnovers, excessive penalities, and ST breakdowns, and expect to compete against most other teams in the NFL....other than maybe the Jags, Raiders, Bucs, Vikes. 

What's important is the coaches need to have a scheme where Kirk isn't getting knocked around. Max protect 

Definitely don't max pro with Kirky. That's the same RGIII offense. There will only be limited routes and mostly they will all be deep. Our MAx Pro isn't that much better than straight up passing normally. Kirk arm is not his strength as well but our O line is so bad that max pro actually will be worst IMO. Sea defense is designed to stop the offense that we run for Kirk, but I seen stranger things happen here in Washington so go figure. We will need the defense to win this game for us. Sea is going to go light on us, in their mind they believe that they have won the game already we need to take advantage of this.

Any given Sunday

This sounds great until you realize Kirk threw 9 interceptions in 8 pass attempts. Fault Gruden for the Texans game. He's pretty much blameless (from a play calling perspective) against the Giants. There were open receivers on 3 of Kirk's picks, so the plays are not the problem.

This sounds great until you realize Kirk threw 9 interceptions in 8 pass attempts. Fault Gruden for the Texans game. He's pretty much blameless (from a play calling perspective) against the Giants. There were open receivers on 3 of Kirk's picks, so the plays are not the problem.

There is more to coaching than just scheming receivers open. As the HC, he needs to look at Kirk hanging his head as he walks off the field after yet another INT and realize the gameplan needs to change. At that time, his young QB was incapable of executing the play being called....regardless of whether our WRs were open or not. When he was just an OC he could make the claim that he did his job, but as a HC he has a much bigger responsibility than simply calling the plays. I hope he figures it out, because this is what makes the difference between a Sean Payton and a Norv Turner. 

Maths is not my strong suit generally but unless your using some kind of whacky quantum math theory here that I am not familiar with its tough to throw 9 picks in 8 attempts.

No QB's future success can be determined by his 1st season, much less than only a few games. A few Perfect examples are

Payton Manning 3-13

Troy Aikman 1-15

Joe Theisman started 0-5

All had great success and won Super Bowls, we can't determine if Cousins will turn out good or bad, all we know is he has a lot of potential. He lit up 2 defenses back to back, one being a division rival. I say Kirk is going to turn out to be a pretty good QB in this league, while another says he won't be better than a back-up QB. Only time tells the truth and proof. Griffin was coming off a pretty bad knee injury, in his 2nd year and was not the same QB he was in his rookie season. Started off very poor against the Texans, looked good on 1 drive against the Jags and right back on crutches. I'm not sure how he will look when he returns, but it better be much more productive than he was last season or there will be another QB controversy in Washington if Cousins plays well the next few games. I hope both Cousins and Griffin lights up every Defense in our path, I wan't to win and that's all I care about.

I realize this topic is about Kirk not RG3 but just humor me for a few paragraphs if you will. As bad a season as Robert had last year rushing back from a second knee reconstruction within a 4 year period... Yeah his win loss record was terrible for a number of reasons but how many NFL quarterbacks have had a 16/12 TD to INT ratio, achieved a 60% completion percentage and threw for 3200 yards in spite of being shut down for 3 games and are still considered a failure/bust so early in their career? To me... you don't have to look much farther than RG3's 2013 stats to understand his potential, talent and ability.

Those within the Redskins fan base who prefer Kirk as the long term answer at QB tend to ignore the most pertinent numbers and insist on focusing on the most short sighted stats because that suits their purpose and agenda. In my honest opinion, Kirk may end up being a legitimate, quality NFL starter one day but I don't think he has distinguished himself as such thus far this season, looking at both his good and bad performances in all fairness. In other words the jury is still out on Kirk.

Robert on the other hand needs to prove he can stay healthy and he also needs further development which is one of the primary reasons why I thought Jay got the job over a number of qualified candidates, a few of which had Head Coaching experience. This Redskins team isn't going to improve dramatically overnight. Ten years of poor drafting and bad free agent signings is still haunting this franchise. Its going to take time.

The question that we should be asking is how patient will Dan Snyder and the fans be with this regime before it's time to start throwing people overboard, under the bus, etc? There is no patience being exercised throughout this rebuilding process and as a result no move is the right move and every hire continues to be condemned. What I would like to know is what executive out there who is available would do a dramatically better job than Bruce, who just got control over the franchise less than a year ago by the way and what coach would be getting better results than Jay Gruden this season? All things considered... There is no quick fix.

I realize this topic is about Kirk not RG3 but just humor me for a few paragraphs if you will. As bad a season as Robert had last year rushing back from a second knee reconstruction within a 4 year period... Yeah his win loss record was terrible for a number of reasons but how many NFL quarterbacks have had a 16/12 TD to INT ratio, achieved a 60% completion percentage and threw for 3200 yards in spite of being shut down for 3 games and are still considered a failure/bust so early in their career? To me... you don't have to look much farther than RG3's 2013 stats to understand his potential, talent and ability.

Those within the Redskins fan base who prefer Kirk as the long term answer at QB tend to ignore the most pertinent numbers and insist on focusing on the most short sighted stats because that suits their purpose and agenda. In my honest opinion, Kirk may end up being a legitimate, quality NFL starter one day but I don't think he has distinguished himself as such thus far this season, looking at both his good and bad performances in all fairness. In other words the jury is still out on Kirk.

Robert on the other hand needs to prove he can stay healthy and he also needs further development which is one of the primary reasons why I thought Jay got the job over a number of qualified candidates, a few of which had Head Coaching experience. This Redskins team isn't going to improve dramatically overnight. Ten years of poor drafting and bad free agent signings is still haunting this franchise. Its going to take time.

The question that we should be asking is how patient will Dan Snyder and the fans be with this regime before it's time to start throwing people overboard, under the bus, etc? There is no patience being exercised throughout this rebuilding process and as a result no move is the right move and every hire continues to be condemned. What I would like to know is what executive out there who is available would do a dramatically better job than Bruce, who just got control over the franchise less than a year ago by the way and what coach would be getting better results than Jay Gruden this season? All things considered... There is no quick fix.

RG3 through 29 starts: 561/886, 63%, 6670 yards, 36 TD, 17 INT (1.9%), 71 sacks (7.4%), 25 fumbles (2.6%), 12 wins, 17 losses, winning percentage: 41%

Campbell through 29 starts: 536/897, 60%, 5957 yards, 30 TD, 19 INT (2.1%), 51 sacks (5.4%), 17 fumbles (1.8%), 14 wins, 15 losses, winning percentage: 48%

Should we have stuck with Campbell?

Kirk is developing into Rex.  Good Kirk/Bad Kirk is a reality.  He has all those same tendencies where often times for no reason it seems like he makes up his mind where he wants to throw the ball and he is going to force it there no matter what. He can be having a good game overall but kill it with untimely INT's.

That is just who he is it looks like, and that's ok because he is just the backup QB.

Meanwhile Cousins has quietly put up 7 TDs to 1 INT, in every game but the Giants game this  year.  In all 3 other games he has a QB rating over 100, including 102 against Seattle, and an average YPA of 8.11.  Id say give him a few more games, a bad game doesnt make a bad season, anymore than a good game makes a good season.

Archived