Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

RG3 through 29 starts: 561/886, 63%, 6670 yards, 36 TD, 17 INT (1.9%), 71 sacks (7.4%), 25 fumbles (2.6%), 12 wins, 17 losses, winning percentage: 41%

Campbell through 29 starts: 536/897, 60%, 5957 yards, 30 TD, 19 INT (2.1%), 51 sacks (5.4%), 17 fumbles (1.8%), 14 wins, 15 losses, winning percentage: 48%

Should we have stuck with Campbell?

I'll go in on this and say yeah, but its also nice how you left out RG3's rushing yards in all of that.

I can see the comparisons between Campbell and RGIII. RGIII has more sizzle and flare to his game, but they seem like similar players. Big arm, not great at reading defenses, and can win with a good team around them. I'm hoping Robert can take the leap and get back on track, but I'm in a holding pattern when it comes to him.

Anyone know how many INTs Manning had in his first year.  Now I realize this is not Cousins first year but starting game wise the kid has not had a full year yet.

He threw 28 INTs his first year. Brett Favre threw 24 his first year. There are more, but already posted in another thread.

I'll go in on this and say yeah, but its also nice how you left out RG3's rushing yards in all of that.

Yep, include his rushing yards, that would make sense. Only, still W- L record is same. Doesn't change anything.

He threw 28 INTs his first year. Brett Favre threw 24 his first year. There are more, but already posted in another thread.

Yep, include his rushing yards, that would make sense. Only, still W- L record is same. Doesn't change anything.

People LOVE to act like Campbell was garbage in his time here. In fact, people had the same "garbage time" argument on Campbell. All he did is put up the best numbers for a QB we've had since Brad Johnson, and had an arm to go more than 20 yards unlike Brunell. I'll easily say that Campbell probably wasn't the savior, but he was some stability we could have used while we built the other areas. Instead we traded picks for McNabb's one year rental and invested in Grossman's picks.

People LOVE to act like Campbell was garbage in his time here. In fact, people had the same "garbage time" argument on Campbell. All he did is put up the best numbers for a QB we've had since Brad Johnson, and had an arm to go more than 20 yards unlike Brunell. I'll easily say that Campbell probably wasn't the savior, but he was some stability we could have used while we built the other areas. Instead we traded picks for McNabb's one year rental and invested in Grossman's picks.

I absolutely agree with you.  I personally thought it was a mistake bringing in McNabb (he was well past his prime) and letting Campbell (had 5-6 different offensive systems to learn, no consistency) go.  I also agree he was probably the best (still is you could say) QB organization has had since Brad Johnson (at least the most consistent).  I do wonder if things would have changed had we kept him here, Grossman doesn't beat him out and we would have had some sort of consistent QB play.

That being said, I am of the belief had Patrick Ramsey played with anyone other than Spurrier as the HC, he may have turned out to be much better.  That kid was getting CRUSHED on every pass it seemed.

I think every QB in the league, when they get pressure and knocked around a bit, they start doing things they normally don't do. Peyton does it, Brady did it Monday night, Jay Cutler did it last week, I could keep going. What's important is the coaches need to have a scheme where Kirk isn't getting knocked around. Max protect and make sure we're not sending out 5 guys. Protection should be the first priority Monday. And for god sakes do not leave Polumbus alone in pass pro.

Good post Alexa, every QB in this league gets rattled when Defenses are knocking them around. Our Defense actually looks good when we play aggressive, the problem is Haslett won't play aggressive each week, and his Defense gets lit up every time they don't.

People LOVE to act like Campbell was garbage in his time here. In fact, people had the same "garbage time" argument on Campbell. All he did is put up the best numbers for a QB we've had since Brad Johnson

I'm really hoping you're meaning that at the time he was the best since Brad Johnson.

Because even Griffins "bad" year last year was better than any year Campbell has had, and I believe was relatively on par with a hypothetical "best year" of Campbell where you take his best stats from various years and squish tehm all together.

I'm really hoping you're meaning that at the time he was the best since Brad Johnson.

Because even Griffins "bad" year last year was better than any year Campbell has had, and I believe was relatively on par with a hypothetical "best year" of Campbell where you take his best stats from various years and squish tehm all together.

Yeah, thats definitely what I meant. Campbells numbers are nothing compared to Griff - different stratosphere. I'd honestly say that they don't compare to Cousins's numbers, but I want to see Cousins over a larger sample first.

When people say "eventually" and "in time" in regards to Cousins......they do realize he has about 3-4 more starts before he is back on the bench, right?

Well, if you believe he is still the "without question" starter.  I think if you listen to Jay Gruden, he is very non committal at this point at stating anything about a potential return for RGIII as starter.  Even with all this evidence of how fast he is getting healthy, the only thing you hear him say over and over again is "there is not timetable" and "not anytime soon". 

My honest opinion (not based on anything factual) is Jay Gruden is giving KC EVERY opportunity to take over as the permanent starter.  As already stated above, you take away the awful Giant game (and it was HORRIBLE) and KC is playing great.  Every QB has a bad game.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next couple of weeks.  I do think though, if KC plays very good the next couple of weeks and the Redskins win 2 out of 3 (very possible), we don't see RGIII again this year unless KC gets hurt.

Anyone thinking that Griffin won't start in a few weeks, or that Gruden is on the fence about sticking with KC, have completely lost their minds.

Gruden is smart to not feed the media frenzy about his return.  He's diffusing it.  And as soon as Griffin gets healthy, he will be back under center.  Probably for Dallass.  Book it.

Anyone thinking that Griffin won't start in a few weeks, or that Gruden is on the fence about sticking with KC, have completely lost their minds.

Gruden is smart to not feed the media frenzy about his return.  He's diffusing it.  And as soon as Griffin gets healthy, he will be back under center.  Probably for Dallass.  Book it.

I could agree with you if there was ONE, JUST ONE statement from Jay Gruden that RGIII is the starter when he is healthy and returns.  The only thing referencing anything about it was if KC had a chance to take over as the starter, and instead of saying "NO, RGIII is my starter", he said "Crazier things have happened in NFL".  You can say he didn't want to feed the media frenzy, however, the only person saying anything about whose team this is.....is KC.  It isn't about him stating anything about his return, it is about him clearly making it known this is RGIIIs team, that has not been said.

Like I said, the next couple of weeks will be interesting, especially if KC has them winning the next 2 games and plays great with the offense clicking.  Either way, I am good with it, I just want the best QB who gives us the best chance at winning.

And for your timetable, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  Even if RGIII gets cleared for practice (full) next week, it will be at least 2 more weeks of him practicing to pick up the offense (Jay Gruden even stated this).

This is part of an article written (not by M Wise either) about Gruden and KC:

{Read between the lines (or just in the lines) from Gruden after the game and you get the sense he's far from sweating the way things unfolded with respect to his quarterback situation.

"Kirk is a true pro," Gruden said after the game. "He's handled being a backup like a pro, he's waited patiently, and now his time is going to come to really take this thing and run with it."

Gruden then emphasized the team "can win any game" with Cousins and feels he's "very much suited for what we do."

"Kirk is a special guy. He started four games last year and didn't have great success, but obviously has a skill set that I feel like is very much suited for what we do," Gruden said. "He can handle it mentally, and obviously, physically.

"I feel that he can make every throw in the book and we are going to move forward with Kirk."}

Like I said, the next couple of weeks are going to be interesting.  Also, this is not just coach speak about a back up QB either.

I can see the comparisons between Campbell and RGIII. RGIII has more sizzle and flare to his game, but they seem like similar players. Big arm, not great at reading defenses, and can win with a good team around them. I'm hoping Robert can take the leap and get back on track, but I'm in a holding pattern when it comes to him.

No no no I cannot won't let you do it. Jason Campbell was the bane of my existence. He just literally could not complete a pass unless you turned around and looked directly at him for a few seconds. He never hit anyone in stride EVER. Arm talent is just not comparable. Robert can and will put the ball right on you...when he finally sees you LOL...which admittedly is WAY behind Kirk's ability to read and recognize. Kirk is pretty awesome BUT he doesn't have the juice to make the throws he tries to make from time to time. He got the brain to throw guys open but his arm strength and accuracy are just above average. Stinks because if he's got Donovan McNabb's arm for goodness sakes he's a top 5 QB. If Favre's arm was just 5% weaker he's Rex Grossman honestly.

Your seriously comparing RGIII in terms of physical ability and playing style with Jason Campbell? I see virtually no similarities between them personally in those respects.

I went to footballoutsiders.com and looked up the DYAR for each of our QBs since 1999.  For those who don't know, footballoutsiders is one of the sabermetrics sites for football that attempts to add more meaning to the traditional box score by accounting for down & distance (i.e. 25 yard gain on 4th and 30 gives little value), opponent strength, etc.  DYAR is their trademark stat that incorporates both the volume and efficiency with which a player is playing.  It's not the be all end all, but it provides an interesting and unbiased viewpoint that can add to the discussion.

For each year's starter, I calculated the DYAR per game by dividing that QB's DYAR for the season by the number of starts.  I then ranked the list in order based on DYAR per game (more is better).  I then judgmentally sorted the list into tiers based on what I perceived to be fairly similar scores.

1. 1999 - Brad Johnson* (67 DYAR/game)

2. 2012 - Griffin* (48.5 DYAR/game)

3. 2014 - Cousins** (47.8 DYAR/game)

4. 2006 - Brunell (41 DYAR/game)

5. 2005 - Brunell (33 DYAR/game)

6. 2000 - Brad Johnson (31 DYAR/game)

7. 2008 - Campbell (29 DYAR/game)

8. 2007 - Campbell (25 DYAR/game)

9. 2009 - Campbell (11 DYAR/game)

10. 2010 - McNabb (10 DYAR/game)

11. 2003 - Ramsey (9 DYAR/game)

12. 2011 - Grossman (7 DYAR/game)

13. 2001 - Tony Banks (-3 DYAR/game)

14. 2013 - Griffin*** (-5 DYAR/game)

15. 2002 - Matthews (-12 DYAR/game)

16. 2004 - Brunell (-31 DYAR/game)

* Went to Pro Bowl

** Interception machine.  Please ignore.

*** Had an "above average year"

I could agree with you if there was ONE, JUST ONE statement from Jay Gruden that RGIII is the starter when he is healthy and returns.  The only thing referencing anything about it was if KC had a chance to take over as the starter, and instead of saying "NO, RGIII is my starter", he said "Crazier things have happened in NFL".  You can say he didn't want to feed the media frenzy, however, the only person saying anything about whose team this is.....is KC.  It isn't about him stating anything about his return, it is about him clearly making it known this is RGIIIs team, that has not been said.

Like I said, the next couple of weeks will be interesting, especially if KC has them winning the next 2 games and plays great with the offense clicking.  Either way, I am good with it, I just want the best QB who gives us the best chance at winning.

And for your timetable, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  Even if RGIII gets cleared for practice (full) next week, it will be at least 2 more weeks of him practicing to pick up the offense (Jay Gruden even stated this).

Gruden just like some fans, are sick of the media trying to stir up the QB controversy thing, in Washington. Why would he plant that seed in Cousins mind? Gruden made those statements after the Philly game as well. Two of the most telling statements Gruden made was 1) Stats don't mean squat when you're NOT winning 2) The team has to rally behind Kirk for the next few weeks or so!

Gruden realize that he and the TEAM has to SUPPORT Kirk. Having headlines ALL over the Washington Post, NFL Network, BSPN etc etc will be yet another distraction this team don't need. So I totally get why he said those things. But the media and some fans are looking for anything negative to talk about with the Redskins. It's like this team has a never ending curse attached to it or something.

As far as a time table, I think Gruden knows exactly when RG3 will return. Apart of him being so vague is a bit of strategy for opposing teams and to AVOID that ALL IN FOR WEEK ONE media foolishness from last year. Which IMO was RG3 fault entirely.

Have you noticed  RG3 hasn't done 1 interview since he was injured? Gruden is not giving the media any fuel to continue this controversy story. It's the media and some fans that want to keep it going. But Gruden realize like some fans, there is NO QB controversy.

That's why it's so funny when you hear people say "Gruden prefer Cousins over RG3"..... Gruden has NEVER said that. It was an opinion of someone not even in the organization. The media and some fans took it and ran with it.

I'm glad Jay Gruden keeps the media at arms length and give them NOTHING!

This is part of an article written (not by M Wise either) about Gruden and KC:

{Read between the lines (or just in the lines) from Gruden after the game and you get the sense he's far from sweating the way things unfolded with respect to his quarterback situation.

"Kirk is a true pro," Gruden said after the game. "He's handled being a backup like a pro, he's waited patiently, and now his time is going to come to really take this thing and run with it."

Gruden then emphasized the team "can win any game" with Cousins and feels he's "very much suited for what we do."

"Kirk is a special guy. He started four games last year and didn't have great success, but obviously has a skill set that I feel like is very much suited for what we do," Gruden said. "He can handle it mentally, and obviously, physically.

"I feel that he can make every throw in the book and we are going to move forward with Kirk."}

Like I said, the next couple of weeks are going to be interesting.  Also, this is not just coach speak about a back up QB either.

The actual games tell you everything you need to know. Gruden is being a supportive coach. I mean what do you think he suppose to say? "Cousins suck"? How many times have players and coaches said "we'll learn from this and get better"?. Then come out the next week and lose again? How many times did you hear Gibbs say "they fought their guts out" after a loss? Then praise whoever the QB was?

This whole interview is a coach being politically correct in front of the media all while supporting his players no matter what the circumstances are. RG3 in NOT playing. So there's no need to support him (RG3) other than his rehab. Gruden has done that. But  Gruden is behind the guys that are actually playing. NOT the ones rehabbing trying to get back from injury to hopefully contribute later on in the year. They mean NOTHING at this point in the season. So why talk about them?

Gruden only wants to coach up and support his available players at this point with no unneeded distractions. Kirk is PLAYING. Let's support him 100% is his position. That's my position as well. The difference is, I can be critical of Kirk because I'm not in front of the media. Just as some are critical of RG3.

But we need to support whoever the QB is 100%. All the time.

Tend to agree with Red post above. We need to support the current quarterback. He does some things very well. When RG comes back, I will be supporting him as well. I think both of these guys having opportunity now could beneficial two years from now.

Archived