Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

look, let's be very REAL, ok? He threw a lot of INTs last night because he was staring down his receivers. They studied him very well and executed based on observation. That's not to say he throws based on anticipation on where his receivers should be BUT if we have to blame something in his game, let's start with his staring down the receiver problem. Once he fixes this, he will be better.

Breese and Montana, for example, had/have average arm strength but they avoid many INTs with accuracy, concentration and great body mechanics. Cousins needs to work on all three areas. Did you see his last INT? he threw it flat-footed. You just can't do that and survive out there.

you cant compare him to brees or montana. Even with average arm strength hes not going to be winning games with his arm alone. He anticipates alot of his throws even if he isnt staring the guy down. He believes he can make throws based on pre reads that he shouldn't be making.

Cousins doesn't have a strong arm.  That's really the long and the short of it.

That's why I compare him to Chad Pennington.  He's money 15-20 yards and in.  Anything outside of that and it's a coin toss. 

This is why if we get behind in a game he's playing in and the downfield passing game is essential, we aren't in good shape.  Sure he can hit one from time to time, but he can't do it consistently.  This is why he fell as far as he did in the draft.

Last night (I left at the end of the third quarter, so not too sure what happened after that) he was forcing stuff.  Just about everything was covered and he was trying to make something out of nothing.  Also a couple of the throws were late.

Not an impressive performance at all.  You can work with a dude who doesn't have a strong arm (obviously, Pennington had a good career and we've looked good at time with KC) but you don't build a franchise around a guy like Kirk.

you cant compare him to brees or montana. Even with average arm strength hes not going to be winning games with his arm alone. He anticipates alot of his throws even if he isnt staring the guy down. He believes he can make throws based on pre reads that he shouldn't be making.

You're preaching to the choir. I pretty much said similar stuff but was trying to explain that to the above poster.

I bet Robert took a big sigh of relief last night.  In the locker room I'm sure he offered Kirk some motivational one-liner like "what matters is how you get back up/no pressure no diamonds" and upon turning his back and walking away he clinched his fist and whispered quietly to himself "yessssssssssss"!

That is what a petty person would do. He probably wants out of DC if anything. This organization sucks right now.

Ridiculous, your as bad as the people massively over valuing cousins over the past two games. You're yet another poster so biased and agenda driven that desperately cling to dishonesty, misrepresentation, hyperbole, and exaggeration to make your point all while tearing down one of our players to raise up your chosen.

If you only want to talk about "games started" then you should only count interceptions that Cousins has thrown then. That would be 11. Still not good, but let's be consistent on how you're evaluating. If you want to count all 15, then you should be comparing "games played"

Furthermore, the "extend it out" thing with such a small sample size is as ridiculous here as it was last week with cousins. It's as ridiculous to expect him to have 5 interceptions every two weeks as it is to expect him to have 5 touchdowns every two weeks. This kind of lazy, hyperbolic analysis using small sample sizes to make your biased point is ridiculous.

Cousins has a HORRIBLE game. Last week he had a very good game. Neither singularly define him going forward or represent an absolute example of what he's capable of.

God after this week if I never hear someone justify their position on the backs of a "pair of eyes" I could die happy

A post thats 5 sentences long is hardly a rant. Also, he stated his assumptions ("if INT rate were to remain constant") and honestly, 15 interceptions is not too small of a sample size to evaluate the question of why.

Cousins doesn't have a strong arm.  That's really the long and the short of it.

That's why I compare him to Chad Pennington.  He's money 15-20 yards and in.  Anything outside of that and it's a coin toss. 

This is why if we get behind in a game he's playing in and the downfield passing game is essential, we aren't in good shape.  Sure he can hit one from time to time, but he can't do it consistently.  This is why he fell as far as he did in the draft.

Last night (I left at the end of the third quarter, so not too sure what happened after that) he was forcing stuff.  Just about everything was covered and he was trying to make something out of nothing.  Also a couple of the throws were late.

Not an impressive performance at all.  You can work with a dude who doesn't have a strong arm (obviously, Pennington had a good career and we've looked good at time with KC) but you don't build a franchise around a guy like Kirk.

Against the eagles he threw that bomb to desean 60 yards in the air, but last night he looked like he had dead arm syndrome

That is what a petty person would do. He probably wants out of DC if anything. This organization sucks right now.

My greatest fear is he leaves and lives up to exactly what he can be and win for someone else more of this foolishness its closer to happening. His number one enemy is health and i really hope he finally kicks this. The guy is going to be great with time to not to have to feel like his job is in jeopardy(especially when at worst he has shown he is a QB that won't lose games for you and at best shows he has whats needed to be successful in the NFL)  and that its okay that he makes some mistakes and is allowed to grow vs how things have been.

My greatest fear is he leaves and lives up to exactly what he can be and win for someone else more of this foolishness its closer to happening. His number one enemy is health and i really hope he finally kicks this. The guy is going to be great with time to not to have to feel like his job is in jeopardy(especially when at worst he has shown he is a QB that won't lose games for you and at best shows he has whats needed to be successful in the NFL)  and that its okay that he makes some mistakes and is allowed to grow vs how things have been.

I don't know if he will be great but he will not crack under pressure. I still remember when we were 3-6 in 2012 and griffin was the only bright spot on our team. Suddenly the rest of the team got on board and we ripped off seven straight. He was facing all the pressure in the world but he never wavered. As soon as he his a rough patch with some real mitigating factors at play the media, city, coaching staff and much of the fan base turn their back on him. This is not how you develop talent. This is not how championships are won. Sophomore slumps are normal, injuries happen., Lets give our QB some time without questioning his mental acuity or instincts. Let the kid play and develop. Lets allow Gruden to have a chance to shape him into a better pocket passer and don't ruin Kirk by throwing him to the wolves too. If Robert works out we will need value for Kirk and vice-versa.

It's looks like the Giants figured out that Gruden is using the same 2-3 routes where Cousins is throwing to the same spots every time those same routes are run so why not disrupt those routes? Once Paul went down apparently they stopped using the middle of the field and we don't have anything for our 3 great receivers besides those same 2-3 routes. No screens, nothing deep, no crossing, nothing.

It's not too hard for the Giants to just knock the receivers off the route and be in that position because our guys weren't going to fight for that ball and yeah Cousins needs to open his eyes because im sure he did throw the ball where he was supposed to most of the time but the receivers weren't even there. Who are you throwing to dude?

What it really means is that with everybody on the line banged up or out and no TE to throw to and the Giants knowing that Cousins is just going to let it rip to a predetermined spot in less than 2 seconds under pressure, Cousins really had no chance so why not just RUN THE BALL MORE? We were still in the game at 24-14 after the first INT and the REFS hooked us up with the ball at the 1 but after that all we did was keep on expecting those same pass plays to work.

We ran on first down after the int, but only gain a yard if that. A play later Kirk throws the int and the Giants score. 31-14 at the point, so I don't blame coach too much for not running the ball.

Also according to Giants defenders he was staring down receivers, they saw it on game film from the Philly game.  Really all Cousins is, is a backup qb.  The one good thing is that the Cousins hype is not being heard today.  I am listening to Cowherd, right now and he has been touting Cousins and has always been an RGIII basher isn't saying a damn thing about Cousins horrid performance from last night.

What your saying is fair but Cousins playing like a piece of s#%t doesn't make RG3 any better, people seem to think RG is gaining QB strength from Kirks poor performance last night.

Guys like Elway and Peyton threw a lot of picks early in their careers. The reason most often given is that they're too confident in their arms and trying to do too much. Then when they get burned enough and mature, they play smarter. 

Obviously, the hope with Cousins is that the same will happen with him.

(ps. I'm not going to waste my time with anyone who claims I am "comparing Cousins to Manning and Elway")

Robert Griffin has 17 interceptions in his career. Kirk Cousins has 15 interceptions in his career RGIII has started in 30 games Kirk has started 6.

Lets extend this. If the INT rate were to remain constant then Kirk would throw 75 INTs over 30 games started. Why does Kirk Cousins have such a penchant for throwing picks?

He a backup QB

Are people forgetting that. This Cousins vs RG3 should have never started in the first place.

RG3 is starter! nuff said!

Guys like Elway and Peyton threw a lot of picks early in their careers. The reason most often given is that they're too confident in their arms and trying to do too much. Then when they get burned enough and mature, they play smarter. 

Obviously, the hope with Cousins is that the same will happen with him.

Of course, but they also got the leeway to do that as they were the hope of the franchise. Kirk is a 4th round pick that hasn't shown anything to tell us he deserves a long leash.

/I know you know that but I'm spelling it out for the rest of them.

look, let's be very REAL, ok? He threw a lot of INTs last night because he was staring down his receivers. They studied him very well and executed based on observation. That's not to say he throws based on anticipation on where his receivers should be BUT if we have to blame something in his game, let's start with his staring down the receiver problem. Once he fixes this, he will be better.

I think one of his INTs was late... which you could attribute to "staring down".  The other 400 were him forcing the ball.

Or just plain terrible throws/decisions.  Which are also part of forcing the ball.

The worst thing that can happen to a young quarterback happened to Kirk. They got behind and he started forcing things. Then after the first interception he got down on himself and did the worst thing he could do and literally started throwing the ball up for grabs. As a redskins fan I hope it's a learning process for him and he doesn't allow himself to fall into the same mindset. I've seen young quarterbacks go through this and mature and get better just like I've seen young quarterbacks never get over that hump. Time will tell. All I know is I wouldn't throw in the towel on him yet.

I rarely post but Nuwanda you are spot on. This whole "pocket passer" BS needs to stop! When RGIII is healthy Gruden needs to adjust his scheme to complement RGIII's style of play. Period.

I have been saying that since Gruden showed up here.  We drafted RG3 because of specific talents and he does have a great arm, But to retool him?  Forget it.  He either survives the NFL or he does not.  But at least he will have his integrity intact.  We saw a bit of it in the Eagles game.  I just do not know what the solution is anymore.  But I do know it is not Kirk Cousin's.

We ran on first down after the int, but only gain a yard if that. A play later Kirk throws the int and the Giants score. 31-14 at the point, so I don't blame coach too much for not running the ball.

Because they were running from the 1 yard line which teams know that 99% of the time thats a run, then they know that after that it's always a pass and guess what? We passed and it was an INT because he just threw it up for grabs 70 yards down field.

Honestly this injury to RG3 was a blessing In Disguise.

The Kirk Cousins fan boy, RG3 bashers can now be silenced.

The media anti-RG3 propaganda can now STFU.

Also with issues on the team regardless of who is at QB, we can see now that there are much larger issues with the Redskins as a whole.

The Oline sucks

The Defense sucks

The ST sucks

Before RG3 would get blamed for the above three issues and flaws. But now that he is not on the field, we can see the full effect of those flaws to show you what the problem really was.

Maybe he just had a bad game.  3 days ago people on here were going on and on about how great he was, and now he's "showed his true colors" and all that.  Why do we have to have such collective knee-jerk reactions to everything?  Hopefully he bounces back as Coach said good QB's have to do (obviously) and we'll go from there.  Everybody has bad games.  And he certainly wasn't the only one last night. 

How many bad games is one allowed to have in your opinion before you kind of get the hint that maybe he's just a bad player? Were you sold on his "good" games? When there was zero pass rush, when our receivers had a 10 yard cushion every time he threw the ball? Don't you think even a Sasquatch could play QB under those circumstances and produce a high QB rating?

He was a marginal prospect. He got destroyed in his rookie year when he stepped in in the playoffs. His second year when RG3 went down he looked absolutely awful, he was the worst QB in the league. And now we see the same thing once again. He is not a starting QB in this league, period. Sure, you give him 10 seconds in the pocket, you give the receivers a 20 yard cushion like I said the way the Eagles did then don't be surprised if he moves the ball. But once your defense struggles, once this guy faces adversity (as he should every week considering this is the NFL), once he has to put the team on his back, once defenses put pressure on him and use tight coverage, then he falls apart like a product made in china. That's just the reality. Get over his completion % numbers or his QB rating and watch a little more tape. His numbers sometimes look good, rarely great, and often terrible, but his play his even worse believe it or not.

His play doesn't impress me. He's a dink & dunk QB, a poor mans Chad Pennington. And Pennington never had any success, he sucked, don't get fooled by (I think) the highest completion % of any QB in NFL history or his decent career QB rating. He sucked, he couldn't get the job done. He played it safe. Checkdowns, dumpoffs, taking sacks instead of trying to make plays, always coming up short when it mattered, when the game was on the line. That's Kirk. He's got no ability to extend plays or create bigplays when there IS NO bigplay to be made. Great QB's do that, RG3 does that. Kirk? Just another body. He's a decent backup option under Jay Gruden, that's his ceiling. He doesn't have the smarts (instincts, awareness, call it whatever you want), he doesn't have the arm, the guts nor the talent to be a franchise QB. And for Jay to jump on that bandwagon after one meaningless game where Kirk was allowed to just play pitch & catch and to throw RG3 under the bus the way he did, drop him like a hot potato and basically came out saying that going forward this is Kirk's team. Notice how quickly he rallied behind Kirk and bought into the hype, after one game. You ask him again after a bad game and he throws the O-Line under the bus instead of his golden boy. Scumbag. Just despicable.

Giants, Gruden agree: Kirk Cousins stares down his receivers
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 26, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT

cousins4.jpg?w=250 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/26/giants-gruden-agree-kirk-cousins-stares-down-his-receivers/

Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins had a miserable game on Thursday night, throwing four interceptions that the Giants say were easy to see coming.

Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara said that the first player on the team to notice it was defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, who during film study over the last few days began to see that Cousins had certain tells. Pierre-Paul passed that knowledge on to his teammates in the secondary.

“JPP even saw it, he told us that [Cousins] was staring down his receivers,” Amukamara said, via Conor Orr of NJ.com.

Washington coach Jay Gruden agreed with that assessment, saying that’s something Cousins needs to work on.

“He’s a young guy playing the position, and young guys playing that position at this level will tend to make mistakes from time to time,” Gruden said. “We’ve got to make sure he’s sees his throws a little bit better and his eyes are in the right spot. There was a couple of them [interceptions] where he stared down the receiver, and the safety just came over made an easy pick.”

That’s something Gruden needs Cousins to improve on in a hurry. If Cousins keeps playing like he did on Thursday night, this season is going to get away from Washington in a hurry.

Archived