Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

They brought back the read option exactly for that reason. Not sure why so many fans have a hard time seeing this. RGIII looked great in 2012 running a very simplified offense which utilized is legs and didn't require him to read a lot of defenses. We had a great running game which took more pressure off of him. He has definitely struggled to pick up this new offense and instead of force feeding it to him, they decided to bring the read option back which to no ones surprise, he looked good running it. Then, to no one's surprise, he got hurt again!

That was in a gimmicky offense that defenses have long figured out. He's done nothing in a traditional offense. And he isn't a franchise QB. Yet we gave up a boatload of picks, hoping he could/would be. If anyone is delusional here, it's you.

It was about as traditional as Seattle's offense but I guess Wilson hasn't done anything either. I mean in order to have success you have to play in a traditional offense. Right? It's better to suck in a traditional offense than to win the superbowl in a non-traditional offense. Go take a nap, you make no sense.

It was about as traditional as Seattle's offense but I guess Wilson hasn't done anything either. I mean in order to have success you have to play in a traditional offense. Right? It's better to suck in a traditional offense than to win the superbowl in a non-traditional offense. Go take a nap, you make no sense.

Russell Wilson is a better QB (at this point) than RGIII.  The have a very good running game, a QB who knows how to protect himself, not saying RGIII couldn't be as good, but, he really doesn't want to run the read option (has been stated).  RGIII wants to be known as a QB similar to Aaron Rogers (he did state that) but has a long way to go.

That was in a gimmicky offense that defenses have long figured out. He's done nothing in a traditional offense. And he isn't a franchise QB. Yet we gave up a boatload of picks, hoping he could/would be. If anyone is delusional here, it's you.

It's true the rookie of the year who many say had the best rookie season ever, who his biggest critic, Shanny said he'd headed to the hall of fame if he keeps playing the way he's played and called him Coolhand Luke for his play in the clutch and who had Seattle on its heels in the playoffs until his knee buckled out -- is clearly a bust, time to move on?  :lol:

And yeah all the guys who had similar injuries who said it will take him a a year until he feels like himself again (especially considering the injury was on his plant leg) I guess don't know what they are talking about. 

Russell Wilson is a better QB (at this point) than RGIII.

Silly comparison. At the time they were drafted and in their rookie seasons RG3 was twice as good / effective as Wilson. It's ridiculous to compare him now to Wilson who's had 3 years under his belt in a great offense on a great team with plenty of help around him while RG3 missed a lot of time, basically 2 years, due to injuries etc. and now is being asked to play in a completely different offense. For Wilson nothing changed in 3 years, he's had a great offense around him for 3 years and the best defense in football. Why would you compare them NOW? How does that make sense. Compare Wilson to Luck, that's more appropriate.

Silly comparison. At the time they were drafted and in their rookie seasons RG3 was twice as good / effective as Wilson. It's ridiculous to compare him now to Wilson who's had 3 years under his belt in a great offense on a great team with plenty of help around him while RG3 missed a lot of time, basically 2 years, due to injuries etc. and now is being asked to play in a completely different offense. For Wilson nothing changed in 3 years, he's had a great offense around him for 3 years and the best defense in football. Why would you compare them NOW? How does that make sense. Compare Wilson to Luck, that's more appropriate.

Russell Wilson has gotten his team to the playoffs first year, won the SB last year.  And your right, shame on me for comparing RGIII to RW, I mean he has 3 years...wait, so does RGIII except he has been hurt and mostly ineffective (besides 2012).  Why would I compare them 3 years ago when that was then, it seems if I was going to compare 2 players, I would use todays results not 3 years ago?  I don't really care how great RGIII played 3 years ago, why?  Becasue it doesn't mean anything today!  It is only a silly comparison when it goes against RGIII!  Ok, I will compare Wilson to Luck as well, I would still take RW at this point. 

Russell Wilson has gotten his team to the playoffs first year, won the SB last year.  And your right, shame on me for comparing RGIII to RW, I mean he has 3 years...wait, so does RGIII except he has been hurt and mostly ineffective (besides 2012).  Why would I compare them 3 years ago when that was then, it seems if I was going to compare 2 players, I would use todays results not 3 years ago?  I don't really care how great RGIII played 3 years ago, why?  Becasue it doesn't mean anything today!  It is only a silly comparison when it goes against RGIII!  Ok, I will compare Wilson to Luck as well, I would still take RW at this point. 

Most ineffective besides 2012?  Its if you are saying we got a long career to look at, yeah well 2012 is half of his career, actually a little bit more than half his career.  RG3 has had one of the worst defenses during that time, Wilson has had the best.  If you go through Wilsons's games last year, he'd had his fair share of lemons -- under 200 yards passing with 50% or less completion rates, but the team won more than lost those games.  If RG3 puts those type of weak numbers up or Cousins for that matter, this team is getting blown out. 

I like Wilson but yeah he had 5 really bad games last year:  

8 by 19 for 142 yards.    And crazy enough they won!

12 for 23 for 123 yards  And they won!

15 for 31 for 210 yards

10 for 18 for 139 yards  And they won.

11 for 27 for 108 yards

in the playoffs against the Saints, 9 for 18 for 103 yards and they won.  It's nice to have a dominant defense. 

Can you imagine some of the RG3 bashers having fodder like this to bash him with.   A lot of those awful Wilson games came early that year and that was a fully healthy Wilson with a full off season to prepare.  Shows it pays to be patient. 

Kirk was an interception machine last week because he telegraphed his throws, often threw into double coverage and often threw it up for grabs.  It was an off day for him all around.  

I hope he plays better this weekend.

Also, to all you RG3 haters, it is clear that your agendas aren't about the Redskins winning.  You just hate the guy.  You don't respect him.  You don't want him on the Redskins.  It would be easy to label you.  You aren't Redskins fans, are you?

The thing is, Rob can't play in that kind of offense (he's made of glass). Nor does he want to. He's not Wilson. In case you haven't heard, he's learning to be a pocket passer. And it ain't going well..

I like Wilson but yeah he had 5 really bad games last year:  

8 by 19 for 142 yards.    And crazy enough they won!

12 for 23 for 123 yards  And they won!

15 for 31 for 210 yards

10 for 18 for 139 yards  And they won.

11 for 27 for 108 yards

8-19 for 142 yds=  Threw 1 TD

12-23 for 123 yds= 77 yards Rushing

15-31 for 210 yds= 102 yards Rushing 2 TDs

10-18 for 139 yds= Threw 2 TDs

11-27 for 108 yds= 1 TD

The stats do not tell the whole story.  This is the argument fans of both RGIII and KC try and make.  You can find stats to validate your statement, but it sometimes doesn't tell the whole story. 

You are criticizing RG3 but then praising Russell Wilson? RG3 is a much better passing quarterback than Wilson, it's not even close if you have actually watched and analyzed these guys play.

The difference is that Russell's coaches put him (and the entire Seahawks team) in positions that best suit them. Russell is never going to be a QB who goes through progressions or reads defenses. Russells strength is his pocket awareness, ability to extend plays and gash the defenses.

On 90% of Russell's passing attempts, they are either quick, instantaneous screens/slants, or they are roll out bootleg plays with a deep option and a quick check down if the deep option is there. Russell is not going to take a 5 step drop, sit in the pocket and go through progressions. RG3 has shown the ability to do this, although not on an elite level. RG3's arm strength/accuracy is also top notch in comparison to Wilson. 

RG3 needs the read option or at least some perimeter plays thrown in the game plan to be super effective, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I think this ankle injury was a complete freak of an injury, and he will return without any issues.

RG3 needs the read option or at least some perimeter plays thrown in the game plan to be super effective, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I think this ankle injury was a complete freak of an injury, and he will return without any issues.

I did not infer anything, however, RGIII doesn't want to run the Read Option.  If that is the only offense he can run effectively, well, then you either force him to run an offense he doesn't want to run or you continue to force him to learn an offense he is not comfortable with.

The thing is, Rob can't play in that kind of offense (he's made of glass). Nor does he want to. He's not Wilson. In case you haven't heard, he's learning to be a pocket passer. And it ain't going well..

You should change your name to Bubble Head. You make no sense. And the fact that you actually think you know what you're talking about makes it even more hilarious than it already is.

I was implying I would take RW over RGIII at this point in their careers.

I'm sure you'd also take Cousins over Wilson at this point in their careers.

You should change your name to Bubble Head. You make no sense. And the fact that you actually think you know what you're talking about makes it even more hilarious than it already is.

Not sure why you felt the need to attack this post.  If you actually paid attention, after RGIII was hurt (2012) he came out as well as his father stating he/they didn't want him running the read option.  He wanted to throw the ball from the pocket, wanted to model his game after Aaron Rogers, etc.  The shanahans actually left a lot of read option plays out of the offense for that specific reason, it was only after they started losing did they try and bring the read option back.   Now, he is getting what he wanted, what we all wanted (he can't stay healthy) and it is a slow process.  I believe everyone is and/was ready to give him a year to get settled into this offense, then, he got hurt again.

So, at what point have you seen me bring up Cousins in this conversation? To answer your stupid question, I will respond, I would take the QB who has already proven the ability to win championships, guess what, it isn't Cousins, it isn't RGIII so yes, at this point I would absolutely take Wilson.

8-19 for 142 yds=  Threw 1 TD

12-23 for 123 yds= 77 yards Rushing

15-31 for 210 yds= 102 yards Rushing 2 TDs

10-18 for 139 yds= Threw 2 TDs

11-27 for 108 yds= 1 TD

The stats do not tell the whole story.  This is the argument fans of both RGIII and KC try and make.  You can find stats to validate your statement, but it sometimes doesn't tell the whole story. 

Not sure you understand the point.  The point is QB's have growing pains, you have to stick with them.  Russell Wilson's growing pains were there too, his QB rating for most of those games and some others too were horrific.  His defense though allowed him to play poorly and the team kept winning.  RG3 and for that matter Kirk do not have that same luxury so the microscope is on them if they have a bad game.  It's not that case with Russell because the team can win in spite of a bad performance from him.  That's a nice luxury for him to have.  

Russell came on well last year after a rough start and looks good so far this season, too.    Wonder though with Russell's rough start in 2013 whether their fans were in a panic and called him a bust? 

Not sure you understand the point.  The point is QB's have growing pains, you have to stick with them.  Russell Wilson's growing pains were there too, his QB rating for most of those games and some others too were horrific.  His defense though allowed him to play poorly and the team kept winning.  RG3 and for that matter Kirk do not have that same luxury so the microscope is on them if they have a bad game.  It's not that case with Russell because the team can win in spite of a bad performance from him.  That's a nice luxury for him to have.  

Russell came on well last year after a rough start and looks good so far this season, too.    Wonder though with Russell's rough start in 2013 whether their fans were in a panic and called him a bust? 

I would agree I missed the point.  I do agree QBs need time, they all go through growing pains.  I am not on the KC or the RGIII bandwagon, I just want one or both to play better.  That being said, I do agree they are hindered by their defense not helping them out either.

So, at what point have you seen me bring up Cousins in this conversation? To answer your stupid question, I will respond, I would take the QB who has already proven the ability to win championships, guess what, it isn't Cousins, it isn't RGIII so yes, at this point I would absolutely take Wilson.

So if this is 2001 you take Trent Dilfer over Tom Brady. Nice talking to you.

Dude, you may be the dumbest person EVER to post anything on this site!!  Guess what, there were 31 other teams that passed up Tom Brady at least 6 times before he was drafted in the 6th round.

Dude, you may be the dumbest person EVER to post anything on this site!!  Guess what, there were 31 other teams that passed up Tom Brady at least 6 times before he was drafted in the 6th round.

32 teams passed up russell wilson multiple times...

just sayin... 

32 teams passed up russell wilson multiple times...

just sayin... 

??? What point are you making? Yes, they were both passed up multiple times. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

I was replying to another post stating I would take Trent Dilfer over Tom Brady.

Also, you do know when Trent Dilfer was drafted (1994), Tom Brady (2001) was probably 11 years old.

Archived