Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Kirk Cousins an Interception Machine?

RiverboatGambler

Giants, Gruden agree: Kirk Cousins stares down his receivers

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 26, 2014, 8:46 PM EDT

cousins4.jpg?w=250 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/26/giants-gruden-agree-kirk-cousins-stares-down-his-receivers/

Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins had a miserable game on Thursday night, throwing four interceptions that the Giants say were easy to see coming.

Giants cornerback Prince Amukamara said that the first player on the team to notice it was defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, who during film study over the last few days began to see that Cousins had certain tells. Pierre-Paul passed that knowledge on to his teammates in the secondary.

“JPP even saw it, he told us that [Cousins] was staring down his receivers,” Amukamara said, via Conor Orr of NJ.com.

Washington coach Jay Gruden agreed with that assessment, saying that’s something Cousins needs to work on.

“He’s a young guy playing the position, and young guys playing that position at this level will tend to make mistakes from time to time,” Gruden said. “We’ve got to make sure he’s sees his throws a little bit better and his eyes are in the right spot. There was a couple of them [interceptions] where he stared down the receiver, and the safety just came over made an easy pick.”

That’s something Gruden needs Cousins to improve on in a hurry. If Cousins keeps playing like he did on Thursday night, this season is going to get away from Washington in a hurry.

The Cowboys said the exact same thing about Rg3 last year.

Robert Griffin has 17 interceptions in his career. Kirk Cousins has 15 interceptions in his career RGIII has started in 30 games Kirk has started 6.

Lets extend this. If the INT rate were to remain constant then Kirk would throw 75 INTs over 30 games started. Why does Kirk Cousins have such a penchant for throwing picks?

One thing you have to remember is the game is called differently for Cousins then it is for RG3. But no excuses, Cousins was terrible.

There are two reasons I have noticed Cousins throwing interceptions, and both are correctable in my opinion.

First, he is a timing QB.  He throws balls well before receivers break in some cases, he anticipates where they will be.  This is great most of the time, and part of why he is so successful.  Remember that ball that Andre Roberts had go through his hands because he wasnt ready?  The downside to that is when receivers and the QB arent on the same page.  If the WR isnt where the QB expects, and the QB isnt the cautious type and just throws it to where he should be rather than waiting, it can be right to a DB for an easy pick.  That happened against the Giants, and its happened before.  He expected a curl, and the WR chose a go route.  Or he expected Grant to go a step further, and grant stopped short.  He often throws to spots.

Second, he has a gunslinger mentality.  He believes its up to him to win games, and he doesnt right now have the ability to just throw the ball away.  Coupled with how poor the Redskins defense is, and how we usually are down in games, AND the pressure from dlinemen because of our poor Oline, it means he is getting pressure in his face, feels the need to make a play, and just wings it.  That can be fixed too.  You cant teach good reading of defenses and hitting timing, and I think he has that.  But you can teach a guy to start tucking the ball and taking a sack, and the more a team practices the more the receivers are on the page with the QB.

Now, will Kirk learn, and be willing to throw it away?  I dont know.  He has all the ability to be a top 5 QB in the NFL, but some guys just cant ever learn to let a play die, and those go by the NFL wayside, talent and all.

How many bad games is one allowed to have in your opinion before you kind of get the hint that maybe he's just a bad player? Were you sold on his "good" games? When there was zero pass rush, when our receivers had a 10 yard cushion every time he threw the ball? Don't you think even a Sasquatch could play QB under those circumstances and produce a high QB rating?

He was a marginal prospect. He got destroyed in his rookie year when he stepped in in the playoffs. His second year when RG3 went down he looked absolutely awful, he was the worst QB in the league. And now we see the same thing once again. He is not a starting QB in this league, period. Sure, you give him 10 seconds in the pocket, you give the receivers a 20 yard cushion like I said the way the Eagles did then don't be surprised if he moves the ball. But once your defense struggles, once this guy faces adversity (as he should every week considering this is the NFL), once he has to put the team on his back, once defenses put pressure on him and use tight coverage, then he falls apart like a product made in china. That's just the reality. Get over his completion % numbers or his QB rating and watch a little more tape. His numbers sometimes look good, rarely great, and often terrible, but his play his even worse believe it or not.

His play doesn't impress me. He's a dink & dunk QB, a poor mans Chad Pennington. And Pennington never had any success, he sucked, don't get fooled by (I think) the highest completion % of any QB in NFL history or his decent career QB rating. He sucked, he couldn't get the job done. He played it safe. Checkdowns, dumpoffs, taking sacks instead of trying to make plays, always coming up short when it mattered, when the game was on the line. That's Kirk. He's got no ability to extend plays or create bigplays when there IS NO bigplay to be made. Great QB's do that, RG3 does that. Kirk? Just another body. He's a decent backup option under Jay Gruden, that's his ceiling. He doesn't have the smarts (instincts, awareness, call it whatever you want), he doesn't have the arm, the guts nor the talent to be a franchise QB. And for Jay to jump on that bandwagon after one meaningless game where Kirk was allowed to just play pitch & catch and to throw RG3 under the bus the way he did, drop him like a hot potato and basically came out saying that going forward this is Kirk's team. Notice how quickly he rallied behind Kirk and bought into the hype, after one game. You ask him again after a bad game and he throws the O-Line under the bus instead of his golden boy. Scumbag. Just despicable.

Was he supposed to say that the season is lost because KIrk is going to be out there?  You all amaze me sometimes.

How many bad games is one allowed to have in your opinion before you kind of get the hint that maybe he's just a bad player? Were you sold on his "good" games? When there was zero pass rush, when our receivers had a 10 yard cushion every time he threw the ball? Don't you think even a Sasquatch could play QB under those circumstances and produce a high QB rating?

He was a marginal prospect. He got destroyed in his rookie year when he stepped in in the playoffs. His second year when RG3 went down he looked absolutely awful, he was the worst QB in the league. And now we see the same thing once again. He is not a starting QB in this league, period. Sure, you give him 10 seconds in the pocket, you give the receivers a 20 yard cushion like I said the way the Eagles did then don't be surprised if he moves the ball. But once your defense struggles, once this guy faces adversity (as he should every week considering this is the NFL), once he has to put the team on his back, once defenses put pressure on him and use tight coverage, then he falls apart like a product made in china. That's just the reality. Get over his completion % numbers or his QB rating and watch a little more tape. His numbers sometimes look good, rarely great, and often terrible, but his play his even worse believe it or not.

His play doesn't impress me. He's a dink & dunk QB, a poor mans Chad Pennington. And Pennington never had any success, he sucked, don't get fooled by (I think) the highest completion % of any QB in NFL history or his decent career QB rating. He sucked, he couldn't get the job done. He played it safe. Checkdowns, dumpoffs, taking sacks instead of trying to make plays, always coming up short when it mattered, when the game was on the line. That's Kirk. He's got no ability to extend plays or create bigplays when there IS NO bigplay to be made. Great QB's do that, RG3 does that. Kirk? Just another body. He's a decent backup option under Jay Gruden, that's his ceiling. He doesn't have the smarts (instincts, awareness, call it whatever you want), he doesn't have the arm, the guts nor the talent to be a franchise QB. And for Jay to jump on that bandwagon after one meaningless game where Kirk was allowed to just play pitch & catch and to throw RG3 under the bus the way he did, drop him like a hot potato and basically came out saying that going forward this is Kirk's team. Notice how quickly he rallied behind Kirk and bought into the hype, after one game. You ask him again after a bad game and he throws the O-Line under the bus instead of his golden boy. Scumbag. Just despicable.

Hey where is the story I keep hearing about Jay throwing RG3 under the bus and supporting Kirk after one preseason game or 1 practice or something like that? google came up short, but I heard about this on this board a few times.

i would like to read the story or see the story of this.

Robert Griffin has 17 interceptions in his career. Kirk Cousins has 15 interceptions in his career RGIII has started in 30 games Kirk has started 6.

Lets extend this. If the INT rate were to remain constant then Kirk would throw 75 INTs over 30 games started. Why does Kirk Cousins have such a penchant for throwing picks?

Because a guy that was drafted in the 4th round and only has six starts is going to be a lot further behind development wise then the guy that was drafted in the first and has been starting since day 1. Reverse the situations and I bet Robert would be having some really amazing games followed by several abominations as well.

One thing not many are talking about is that when the D knows your throwing the ball every down, it makes it that much harder on the QB and that much easier on the D..  If we abandon the game plan every time we get behind we'll be seeing a lot more of this.. We have to take advantage of our running game, for the entire game, given our porous OL and QB status..  I don't think it'll be the difference in beating teams like Seattle, but it may keep us from getting embarrassed..

Hey where is the story I keep hearing about Jay throwing RG3 under the bus and supporting Kirk after one preseason game or 1 practice or something like that? google came up short, but I heard about this on this board a few times.

i would like to read the story or see the story of this.

Never happened. In fact the opposite happened, but people want to just create their own versions of the truth to make their guy look good.

We need to also look at the line and the coaching.

Teams with strong pass-rushing D-linemen pose a problem for the Skins, especially if the opponents don't need to send extra players to create pressure on the QB.

Sadly, the Foerster-coached O-lines for the Skins were less effective in pass protection than in run blocking, and so teams like the Texans and the Giants tend to dominate our line and force the QB into tough choices What's worse is that our Oline can't seem to ever prevent the defense from batting down a lot of the QB's passes, or keep the defensive player from clogging the passing lane as they bear down on the Skins QB in the pocket. I call it the Polumbus effect!

This is coupled with the fact that Skins O-line often only give the Skins QB a few short seconds of time to find the open receiver and get the pass off. So the passes need to be quick, and usually that would mean going to the safety outlet. (Remember Griffin in the Houston game?).

But there's going to be times when the Skins QB can't afford to check down to the outlet receiver out in the flat because they need to convert a third down. Some of Cousins picks were because was throwing more aggressive passes, which is due to the fact he needed more yards than the swing pass would get.

Let's remember that "Three-&-Out" is essentially a turnover as much as a fumble or a pick. . And considering our special teams, opponents' punt-returners have as good of a chance to return the punt for field position similar to what a cornerback might get while running back a pick. Not exactly the same, but anytime we have to rely on the Haslett defense or our "special" teams -- a three-&-out can wind up being just as damaging to the Skins chances for a win.

When the Skins get behind, or the offense is under pressure to get a lot of points quickly -- the QB has to gamble more. And if the defense knows the Skins have to pass, the odds of a pick go up more.

Frankly, better line protection, more running plays, and a more mobile pocket might help to keep the defense off balance. Problem is, I haven't seen much of that, in the mix of play calls. It seems that Gruden & Co. tend to over-rely on Cousins getting the pass completion on slants, and medium range timing patterns. And frankly those can be riskier passes, especially if there are no clear lanes, or adequate pockets to help make the pass.

We joke a bit, but I'd note that Dalton had some high interception totals too, and the Bengals line appears to be a little better in pass protection than the Skins Oline. I think the Gruden passing game tends to rely more on high risk passes if the screen pass isn't there.

I wouldn't say that Kurt's an interception machine,just that every now and then the opposing defensive backs are more open than the Redskins receivers.   :)

KIRK. seriously. i do not understand how difficult it is to know that it's kirk, and not kurt. lol. not meaning to yell at you about it. lots of redskins fans spell his name wrong. its quite sad really.

Probably because he sucks?

Because a guy that was drafted in the 4th round and only has six starts is going to be a lot further behind development wise then the guy that was drafted in the first and has been starting since day 1. Reverse the situations and I bet Robert would be having some really amazing games followed by several abominations as well.

So how many ints did RG3 throw in his first 6 starts?

Archived