Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The RG3 trade really really hurt...

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Think the posters you are addressing are misinterpreting each other.  At the end of 2012 folks would've rated the trade as worth it based on the trajectory we appeared to be on after making the playoffs in Griffin's rookie year.  However, after last year's disaster and Robert getting hurt again this year, we have really veered off that trajectory.

Would be fair to ask the question as to what will be required for people to consider the trade to have been worth it.  Will it require the Skins to win a SB under Griffin?  A SB appearance? What about us making the playoffs the large majority of the years he is our QB?

i think I would consider the trade to be worth it if we are making the playoffs for a majority of the years with him as QB. getting to the superbowl is just icing on the cake to me.

i think I would consider the trade to be worth it if we are making the playoffs for a majority of the years with him as QB. getting to the superbowl is just icing on the cake to me.

I don't understand why winning the Super Bowl isn't the cake and anything less a disappointment.

The difference between the worst team in the league and the runner-up?  The latter picks 30 slots later.  Nobody ever remembers, and nobody cares, how many conference championships you have.  Win the Super Bowl, nothing less.

I don't understand why winning the Super Bowl isn't the cake and anything less a disappointment.

The difference between the worst team in the league and the runner-up?  The latter picks 30 slots later.  Nobody ever remembers, and nobody cares, how many conference championships you have.  Win the Super Bowl, nothing less.

dont get me wrong, winning the superbowl would be cool, and if the redskins get to the superbowl i would want them to win. but as long as they get to the superbowl, thats all that matters to me.

dont get me wrong, winning the superbowl would be cool, and if the redskins get to the superbowl i would want them to win. but as long as they get to the superbowl, thats all that matters to me.

Have we really sucked THAT long? It's a shame some fans have been beaten into submission, but giving up on the goal is just sad.. Win it all or don't even play the game!

No.

umm...it is my opinion. so, you think thats wrong, i dont really care.

Have we really sucked THAT long? It's a shame some fans have been beaten into submission, but giving up on the goal is just sad.. Win it all or don't even play the game!

and you are welcome to have your own opinion. HAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes. because it means they are doing something right. which is, ya know, winning games. yes it would be LOVELY if they won it all, and hell yes i would be overjoyed if they won it all.

Dude, the Braves won 14 straight division titles. The ONLY reason it doesn't get talked about more is because they only won one WS in all those trips to the playoffs. You can never be satisfied with just getting there. The goal is to WIN it!

Dude, the Braves won 14 straight division titles. The ONLY reason it doesn't get talked about more is because they only won one WS in all those trips to the playoffs. You can never be satisfied with just getting there. The goal is to WIN it!

fine. whatever. y'all win. remind me never to share my opinion here again...lol.

I definitely chose an example where an all rookie contract was compared to a mostly veteran unit.  I said so in the post.  The point is that sometimes you need to pass on a good deal.  Spending $8M on DJ, even if its a steal, was a bad idea if he can't be used effectively.

The Cowboys are far from the most poorly managed team (maybe you didn't see the Jacksonville game), nor is their salary consumption way out of whack with their talent level.  They have a really bad DL, below average safeties and an overpaid CB.  But they have a good, young OL, good receivers, good ST, and improving LBs.  Their talent level is at least average, which accounts for all of the 8-8 seasons.  This year they have moved from being one of the oldest teams to one of the youngest teams.

Not to mention the fact that they are 3 and 1 and without a miracle we will be 1 and 5 shortly.  Well Joe Gibbs was 1 and 5 in first year as head coach and we know how that worked out so we have that going for us.

Just getting to the playoffs for a few years seems a rather modest goal, especially after paying the highest price ever in a draft trade.  All that for a few playoff appearances?  Frankly, that's just not enough, IMHO.  Still, we aren't even achieving THAT goal so far, assuming this year is yet another non-playoff year, and it's sure looking that way now.  I'm not holding my breath on a 7-game win streak anytime soon. 

Just getting to the playoffs for a few years seems a rather modest goal, especially after paying the highest price ever in a draft trade.  All that for a few playoff appearances?  Frankly, that's just not enough, IMHO.  Still, we aren't even achieving THAT goal so far, assuming this year is yet another non-playoff year, and it's sure looking that way now.  I'm not holding my breath on a 7-game win streak anytime soon. 

from a top 6 draft team, to a playoff team, seem like a big jump.

So why you complaining?

Someone answer me this please. Did we offered the same package the year before to the Carolina Panthers in order for a chase to draft Cam Newton? As much as I like RG3, Cam seem more durable.

thats where the hype came from.

Black QB with extreme Throwing skills and Leg skills, but faster and better arm.

whats not to be hyped up on. 2012 came and bam they got what they asked for.

It paid off in year one?  You'd trade 3 first-rounders and a second for a division championship (without a playoff win)?  For the price this team paid for RG3, I'd expect at least a SB appearance, if not a win.  If all RG3 does is elevate this team from bad to mediocre, then that trade was a bust.

Most of this fan base thinks a 10 win season and 1st round loss is like a SB appearance. LOL.

a mediocre team wouldn't have pulled off that 7 game winning streak. i think it paid off in year one as well. he got us to the playoffs, didn't he? and he definitely had us winning that playoff game 14-7 in the first quarter. thats about as much as you ca ask from a rookie qb.but you are free to think whatever you want. it is your opinion. hail.

This is where the QB gets too much credit. Griffin most certainly did his part. But the team was 3-6 at one point. Cousins started one game, and a few more Griffin wasn't throwing for little yardage. To me it was more Morris and the defense that really carried the team over Griffin. Not knocking his accomplishments by any means, but he was not carrying the team.

Consistent QB play would make the trade worth it. Every year Green Bay has a chance because of who they have under center. We haven't had that the last two years.

Thanks for doing this - I wanted to do something similar, but didn't have the energy.

I think you must have the first two lines of your conclusions switched - you can't have more all-pros/perennial pro bowlers than you do at least one-time pro-bowlers, unless you intended those categories to be mutually-exclusive.

No problem, the work was done years ago.  It's all data I could easily get from pro-football-reference which is where the categories arise, also it's hard to compare across positions with stats, and how to separate long-career journeymen from the excellent.  

Each category is intended to be mutually exclusive, with a player slotting into the highest category he qualifies.  The perennial pro-bowler was an exclusion created to allow a group of hall of fame qbs (Elway I know was one, and perhaps Kelly or Aikman or both) who never were named all-pros.  I attempted to design it to minimize the impact on other positions, but I don't recall who other than the QBs qualify for that bucket because of it.  

If you continue to feed the Redskins money, you wil continue to get failure.  Until people speak with their pocketbooks nothing will change.

Look at the Chicago Cubs, the loveable losers.  They make money hand over heel so their's no incentive to change regimes or owners due to organizational failure.

If you continue to feed the Redskins money, you wil continue to get failure. Until people speak with their pocketbooks nothing will change.

Look at the Chicago Cubs, the loveable losers. They make money hand over heel so their's no incentive to change regimes or owners due to organizational failure.

So you're saying I shouldn't have dropped that $230 on Skins merchandise a few weeks ago?

I don't know if this has been addressed but the Rams, who received those 3 extra picks are as bad if not worse than the Skins.

They had 2 number 1 picks in 2013 and 2014 and an extra 2nd in 2012 and it hasn't paid any dividends for them.

According to others, that is not important.

My opinion, we are where we are today for three reasons:

1. RGIII got hurt in 2012 and should have been shut down

2. RGIII started 2013 without practicing

3. Maybe most important, the Salary Cap penalty

.....it's no coincidence that Dallas leads the league in rushing due to spending "non-flashy" early round picks on talented offensive linemen recently.  Your QB doesn't need to be a superstar in this league to win, but he does need to stay upright.

I am not going to discount (nor try to speculate what would have happened with those picks on him) what Robert brought to the team in his rookie year, but unfortunately, that seems like 10+ years ago at this rate and it's been a faceplant ever since.

Embrace the suck = your Washington Redskins.

Archived