Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just got back from Philadelphia and the Stink (Thoughts and Observations)

Boss_Hogg

Two things.

There is no jail at the Linc.  

Eagles fans boo injured defensive opponents because they suspect (and correctly quite often) that the player is trying to slow down the game.   

So when the state Attorney General said "both holding cells are open today" before the game on CSN Washington he was lying/joking?

Obviously I understand the difference between a holding cell and a jail.

Uh, not quite Toad. I was at the game sitting in section 228. Philthy fans started a fight about 8 rows back & 3 or 4 sections over from me. It was right behind the philthy bench where all the inbred philthy fans come to cause problems. Cops came down to mace the fighters & dragged 2 drunk philthy rednecks out of the stadium. The sideline fans by he bench sucked in the mace & made the philthy players start wheezing like a 90-year old 3 pack a day smoker.

Good times...

I remember watching that game and the announcers commenting and saying how its not too often you see fans fighting amongst themselves. If memory serves me correctly it was an Eagles blow out either 02 or 03. Skins fans act as if they are buying opposing fans beers and giving them hugs. We all know that drunk fans problems regardless of what team they are cheering for. 

http://fansided.com/2014/09/22/philadelphia-eagles-fans-fight-eagles-fans-stadium-brawl-video/

In the upper level of the stadium, where most of the excessive drinking seems to occur, an Eagles fan punched another Eagles fan and a brawl ensued in the Lincoln Financial Field stands.

Since everyone has a smart phone these days, it was only a matter of time until the videos surfaced on social media.

* As an Eagles fan - we are rooting hard for RG3 to come back soon.

Why are fans of other teams so ignorant on this issue?  RG3 destroyed your team and every other team in 2012.  In 2013, he played on an injured leg and still had an above average season.  So far this year, he had a decent game against Houston.  He didn't cause all the mistakes that lost that game... and He was killing it at the beginning of the Jaguars game.  If he had played against Philly, you guys would have had to worry all day long about him taking off for a big gain.  

It's simple if you want to go to a game pay a little more to sit closer to the field. The higher up you go the worst it will be (in most cases). I know this is something that's been going on for years at a lot of the stadiums, but with the whole brawling situation in Arizona yesterday this might be another issue Goodell needs to attend to. If anybody hasn't seen the video, then you need to check it out. I just can't believe all of these stupid, drunk idiots who pay good money go to a game just to trash other people. Really makes you just want to stay home and watch the games on TV.

http://fansided.com/2014/09/22/philadelphia-eagles-fans-fight-eagles-fans-stadium-brawl-video/

In the upper level of the stadium, where most of the excessive drinking seems to occur, an Eagles fan punched another Eagles fan and a brawl ensued in the Lincoln Financial Field stands.

Since everyone has a smart phone these days, it was only a matter of time until the videos surfaced on social media.

haha 2 eagles fans punching eachother? why? they like the same team...is there really any reason to fight? especially when your team is winning?

haha 2 eagles fans punching eachother? why? they like the same team...is there really any reason to fight? especially when your team is winning?

One was probably defending DJax and the other didn't like it so punched him. These idiots were actually burning his jerseys before the game as if Jackson wanted out of Philly. Apparently most Eagle fans are bandwagon and do not pay attention. You usually burn a player's jersey when that said player wanted off that team. Morons.

One was probably defending DJax and the other didn't like it so punched him. These idiots were actually burning his jerseys before the game as if Jackson wanted out of Philly. Apparently most Eagle fans are bandwagon and do not pay attention. You usually burn a player's jersey when that said player wanted off that team. Morons.

yeah but still, fans of the same team should be getting along. philly fans are so weird.

It's simple if you want to go to a game pay a little more to sit closer to the field. The higher up you go the worst it will be (in most cases). I know this is something that's been going on for years at a lot of the stadiums, but with the whole brawling situation in Arizona yesterday this might be another issue Goodell needs to attend to. If anybody hasn't seen the video, then you need to check it out. I just can't believe all of these stupid, drunk idiots who pay good money go to a game just to trash other people. Really makes you just want to stay home and watch the games on TV.

I went to the Skins Broncos game in Denver last year and the fans there treated me well. I got some jabs and dealt out a few of my own but by and large the experience was good natured and fun. In some places, the game day experience is still decent and family friendly.

FedEx Field has turned into a cesspool in the last decade. I'll never sit in the 400s and if I go I'll only sit in the clubs or dream seats. The 400s can be a war up there

I do go to plenty of Nats games except when they play the Phillies. Granted very few fans from Philly make the trip down 95 now to see their last place team play. I have been to a few Caps-Flyers games in the Ovechkin era and have very rarely encountered Philly fans. I know it was different in the '80s. And I don't think anyone in Philly cares enough about the 76ers to make the trip to Verizon to see a Wizards-76ers game

New York fans, obnoxious but not boorish or violent. Dallas fans? All local idiots who weren't loved as kids. NBD syndrome for sure. Other fan bases in DC? There is enough of a San Fran contingent to make noise at Nats/Skins games, but never any issue. Pittsburgh people suck but aren't violent. 

Note: I think it is cool the OP went up to Philly for the game. Personally I'd never go there unless it is one of those late December games where they suck and we are rolling and we can have about 5-10k Skins fans up there (2005 and 2012). Many of these issues go away once they have given up

I've been to, I believe, six NFL stadiums, and I really don't see a difference in fan behavior at any of them. At every stadium, you have drunken bros and rednecks from distant exurbs spending their entire annual entertainment budget on a tailgate and they are going to get every possible pennies worth out of that Natural Light. Doesn't matter if they are from Cherry Hill or Dundalk or Uniontown or Manassas or Pasadena (TX). They are there to drink and fight and maybe watch some football.

Having said that, your experience in Philly may be different than mine because you look like a terrorist (I kid because I love) and Philly's crowd has always struck me as the most casually racist crowd in the league.

As if Redskins fans are any better.  Why not discuss the brain injury sustained by an Eagles fan that was severely beaten after your Monday Night embarrassment a few years ago, or the foul mouthed drunken, ignorant redneck seated next to my son at another game. I live in MD and I've been to RFK and Fed Ex Field plenty of times and you have no room to be critcizing anyone.

That sounds like a lie. If true, it would have been all over the news.

Are you talking about Ryan Diveny? The 18 year old from Loudon County, VA who was severely beaten by a group of Philadelphia fans?

http://www.loudountimes.com/index.php/news/article/men_convicted_of_violent_attack_on_ashburn_student368/

http://www.loudountimes.com/news/article/diviney_attacker_paroled898

Went to the Bengals-Redskins game in 2012 and as we were leaving the stadium, we heard some commotion over by the port o johns. Looked like a couple of guys fighting with these two women trying to stop it.

Thought I'd see a Bengals jersey and a Redskins jersey. Nope. Two Redskin fans throwing punches at each other. Society has gone to ****. Why do people feel the need to act like colossal assholes in public places now? Hell, people used to dress up in suits and dresses to attend sporting events.

I am always amazed at how high and mighty NFL fans suspend reality and believe a group of individuals, just by reason of living 200 miles away from another fan base, are demonstrably different in their behavior.  All NFL stadiums have scores of scumbags.  People start drinking at 6am for a 1pm game and society is full of dregs.  Get over yourselves.  There are scumbags in Philly just like there are scumbags in your backyard.  You are not morally superior, as a whole.  Silly talk.

I am always amazed at how high and mighty NFL fans suspend reality and believe a group of individuals, just by reason of living 200 miles away from another fan base, are demonstrably different in their behavior.  All NFL stadiums have scores of scumbags.  People start drinking at 6am for a 1pm game and society is full of dregs.  Get over yourselves.  There are scumbags in Philly just like there are scumbags in your backyard.  You are not morally superior, as a whole.  Silly talk.

I concur. (Though I still contend that Philly has the most casually racist fan base I've encountered. And Philly does seem to take an extra bit of pride in their terrible behavior. Which may actually be something admirable. Steeler and Giant fans act like their beer farts don't stink).

Here is my theory: the cost of tickets is causing an incease in bad fan behavior for two reasons:

1. Once upon a time, if you got season tickets, you went to every game. Now, you need to figure out a way to cut your losses on the tickets. So you sell 3 or 4 a year. And who the hell knows who ends up with those?

2. Fans paying so much feel a sense of entitlement that never used to exist. In the 70s, did anyone feel the need to "defend the colors?" Maybe Raiders fans, but they were all bikers on amphetamines. Now, you have government accountants from Reston looking to defend the team's honor in the stands. What the hell is that about?

I concur. (Though I still contend that Philly has the most casually racist fan base I've encountered. And Philly does seem to take an extra bit of pride in their terrible behavior. Which may actually be something admirable. Steeler and Giant fans act like their beer farts don't stink).

2. Fans paying so much feel a sense of entitlement that never used to exist. In the 70s, did anyone feel the need to "defend the colors?" Maybe Raiders fans, but they were all bikers on amphetamines. Now, you have government accountants from Reston looking to defend the team's honor in the stands. What the hell is that about?

This reminds me of Colin Cowherd's theory on men of a certain demo who attend football games. There's job guy, and then there's career guy.

Job guy is more inclined to find trouble bc it won't matter if he shows up to work on Monday w/ a black eye. Career guy is less inclined, bc well, he has a lot more to lose. 

Job guy is all over the night games bc career guy has to be up early for work the next day, so he passes on the tix, which in turn trickle down to job guy.

Not sure if you live in Philly or not, but it is different. 

Growing up in the city my entire life, kids in school around age 10 bragged about their dads getting in fights at Eagle games. They believe you're supposed to fight opposing fans at a sporting event. 

Sure, every fan base has scumbag fans. But I don't know any other city where, growing up, you think fighting is part of the NFL experience. 

Sure, every fan base has scumbag fans. But I don't know any other city where, growing up, you think fighting is part of the NFL experience. 

Oakland is probably at least as bad. They've always had fights and their dump is called The Black Hole.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/3/3832536/fans-arrested-chargers--fight

http://deadspin.com/5942608/some-fantastic-photos-of-a-fan-fight-at-the-raiders-game/

They even had brawls going on between the fans and players at Practice this summer when Dallas played them.

Can't really argue with that though.

I used to work in the airline industry. In 2005 we had to divert a US Airways Airbus from Kansas City to Philadelphia because the Eagles fans had become so unruly that several crew members (women) felt threatened. Several of the stewardesses reported taunting, spitting, threats, sexual insults, and overrall dangerous behavior for an airplane ride. 

I've been to many other sporting events, hell my last job took me all over the country. This was the first and only time I've been physically threatened by a large group of tough guys because I was wearing Burgundy and Gold.

I've never experienced such unsolicited hate, racism, and vitriol anywhere else, not New York, not Atlanta, not Baltimore...no where.

Oh and this:

www.gq.com/sports/lists/201104/worst-sports-fans-in-america#slide=14

More anecdotal evidence; the best kind to make sweeping generalizations.

Dude, the best thing for you to say is, yeah Philly fans are kind of bad. And leave it at that.

But no. You're trying to come in here and tell us it's not that bad and have the audacity to try and shift blame to everybody else in the league.

We know fans are rowdy everywhere. We know that there are some good Philly fans (You probably being one of them). 

But stop it. You're not going to convince us, or any other sport fan that Philly doesn't take it up an extra notch compared to most fans. 

As if Redskins fans are any better.  Why not discuss the brain injury sustained by an Eagles fan that was severely beaten after your Monday Night embarrassment a few years ago, or the foul mouthed drunken, ignorant redneck seated next to my son at another game. I live in MD and I've been to RFK and Fed Ex Field plenty of times and you have no room to be critcizing anyone.

Nonsense! ... bad behavior isn't acceptable and calling it out is just fine.  I assume your real point is there are Redskins fans who are bad actors as well.  I'm sure there are.  Unless you are saying that the people in this thread aren't any better than the examples of bad behavior being talked about ... and if that's the case ... you've got no ground to stand on and owe them an apology

Archived