Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's time for fan support, not QB controversy

Bacon

I disagree. I can't envision any scenario where Cousins is the unquestioned starter over a healthy Griffin. If we make the playoffs under Cousins, it'll be a highly publicized training camp battle in 2015.

I wouldn't be so sure...but you could be right. It would be tough to bench a QB who plays well enough to get us to the playoffs. I suppose if he's just average and Kerrigan leads our defense to a dominant season, you could make that case. We'll see. It's nice that we don't have to decide and we can just root for the guys who dress out each week. We all want the same thing...for the guys in burgundy and gold (whoever they are) to win. 

I too had that stomach drop feeling when Robert went down, I also share the same feelings as many of you on the board that hopefully he has a speedy recovery. But, as a Redskins fan, I was cheering my ass off the very next play when Cousins entered the game. He's our QB now, I don't care about tomorrow or 6 weeks or next year when Rg3 is healthy, I hope he can play well now! It's week 3, we are 1-1 and next up is the Iggles and first place in NFC East.

I'm sorry for taking a personal shot at you bacon. I did not mean to make this a personal issue. I just feel like this post feels like a small town parent saying support the team support the team where the rest of us are capable of a higher level of thinking than just blind loyalty.

I agree with you that i hate the bickering on this board , however when opposing views are able to discuss their ideas intelligently then that fosters a sense of discourse which is something your Support the team 100 percent and support everyone 100 percent stifles.. That is why i am against it.

Obviously im in the best interest of the redskins but that my idea of the best interest of the skins is going to be wildly different from the next fan and their view is going to be different from the next fan as well.

No problem. The last thing I wanted out of this thread was to stifle discourse.

Sad??  C'mon man! Look at Gruden yesterday after the game. He certainly wasn't sad.  It's really sucks for RG3 but we see injured players go out and backups come in and play better than the person they replaced.  Ever heard of Kurt Warner? Look at how Niles Paul is taking advantage of his opportunity!   Carson Palmer didn't play and they went of the road and won a game. As did the Rams with their 3rd team QB. This is the nature of sports.

I have the same sentiment as most...I loved the move to go get RGIII, I fell in love with RGIII at Baylor watching him for the first time on a Thursday night college game, texting my brother saying I hope the Redskins draft this guy! I have a jersey and wanted him to be our QB...

With all that being said I do not care who takes the snaps as long as we win! Im still not "sold" on Kirk but he has proven that he at this point has a better command of the offense at this time. If Kirk is winning you cant turn the team back over to Robert period end of story.

My Biggest thing is I want that rotating list of starting QB's to be DONE! Shuler, ferotte, banks, friesz, brunell, Campbell, Collins, beck, grossman (I know I am leaving some out but you get the point) For our team to ever get any traction we have to find a guy that can be our QB for more than a season! All the successful teams have that one thing in common...I wanted that guy to be Robert, but maybe its Kirk or maybe its a guy in next years draft but the rotating door has got to STOP.

As for the season Im all in like I normally would be, whoever is in the game Ill be rooting to win, and yelling at when they play horrible Im a fan its what I do!

As a fan that has always been about the TEAM I don't care who is under center. Just give me the best option to win. If Kirk does indeed take this job and take off? RGIII will be a distant memory for me.

I heard a great line today. RGIII is the new Sam Bradford. Sad but true.

Take the job Kirk. Take the damn job. That means the TEAM is winning and that's all that matters to this Redskins fan.

We just have no idea how Cousins will play in the next few weeks, but if he's doing good, regardless of wins/losses, you can't pull him.

If the defense or ST lays an egg one week, its not Cousins fault, so it shouldn't be put on him for the loss, unless he was playing poorly, then he should get the criticisms that Griffin got, but we still have to stand behind him and cheer him on; we should do this for whoever is QB.

With that being said, this could be the classic case of one aspect of the team taking up the slack for another which may not be good that particular week. This is where the competitiveness of players, who know they have a chance to win, and step up their play. If they see the QB struggling, maybe the RB runs a little harder, the defense plays with more fire, etc; but they take it upon themselves to win the game, and we haven't seen that in a long time. It is a sight for sore eyes.

Best case scenario?  RGIII comes back healthy (I cringe to say that AGAIN), and Cousins proves he belongs in this league as a starter.  Cousin's value rises, and we get some compensation back from what we gave to give RGIII.  Put all our chips in on Rob, and let it roll.  RGIII wasn't healthy last year, he didn't have a defense, or a special teams.

Want proof?  Look at Kirk Cousins in the last 3 games of the season.  He didn't look worth a 6th round pick even.

If this was going to happen I wish it would've happened late in the game and we could see RgIII could've done just as good as Kirk did against Jacksonville.  Jacksonvilles defense is bad and I wouldn't give Kirk the keys to the car after yesterday.  Let's see what he can do vs the elites in the league.

We just have no idea how Cousins will play in the next few weeks, but if he's doing good, regardless of wins/losses, you can't pull him.

If the defense or ST lays an egg one week, its not Cousins fault, so it shouldn't be put on him for the loss, unless he was playing poorly, then he should get the criticisms that Griffin got, but we still have to stand behind him and cheer him on; we should do this for whoever is QB.

With that being said, this could be the classic case of one aspect of the team taking up the slack for another which may not be good that particular week. This is where the competitiveness of players, who know they have a chance to win, and step up their play. If they see the QB struggling, maybe the RB runs a little harder, the defense plays with more fire, etc; but they take it upon themselves to win the game, and we haven't seen that in a long time. It is a sight for sore eyes.

I see what you're saying... but did RgIII really play poorly?  Kirk Cousins I don't believe could've saved us from the disaster that was Htown 2014.  Cousins in there wouldn't make Polumbus/Chester block better, Cousin's wouldn't have made Helu miss his block on the punt, Cousin's wouldn't have secured any of the fumbles that were lost.

Let's see what Cousin's can do against the better defenses out there.  I'm having flashbacks of last year in the ATL game where he made poor decisions and looked lost out there when pressure got to him.  And with our right side Oline, prepare to see more and more of that.

Great thread!

I've been an RGIII supporter and hated to see him hurt again. However, I've never seen any player with legs that frail around in odd directions like his do. No wonder he gets hurt.

If he comes back, fine, if Captain Kirk stays in, fine. It's all about the Redskins, it's not about one player over another for me. I'll support whoever is behind center.

Hail!

For the posters here that are having an extremely difficult time coping with the injury and are, as I read elsewhere on the board "more depressed than last week," try to keep in the forefront of your mind what you can do to help. Fact is, there isn't much, but one thing you can do is cheer.

What???!!! "More depressed than last week". I'm sorry but that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard on here since last year when lots of people wanted to keep Shanahan as coach. We won 41-10. Last week sucked. Yesterday I was pumped. RGIII got hurt but he will be back, at least he didn't injure his knee. And my gosh Kirk looked amazing. I had us winning no more than 7 games before yesterday and then we go out and play like a playoff team. I feel bad for RGIII as well but "more depressed than last week" makes me feel like some fans are only concerned with RGIII's performance rather than the team's performance. Now I'm pumped for the rest of the season.

Bacon, you're such a pragmatist most of the time that I was surprised to see the OP was yours---and it is well done. Most of the posts are encouraging to me, whether from Team Robert or Team Kirk (that's what some of this reminds me of---Twilight). But it's early.

I agree with the OP...but I find it disingenuous at this time with this fan base.

So many wanted to drone on incessantly & bash our starting QB, & now we're all supposed to forget that & take up arms with these happy mcgloat-a-lots. I root for the team first & foremost, & next man up is certainly the mantra right now. Still...it is difficult for me to accept that now these people who were bashing RGIII just want us to all get along.

Right....NOW we're supposed to just cheer for the shirt? Where was that sentiment when RGIII started the season? I hope we win, & I'm cheering us on right in line with every other fan...but I find this an especially a tough pill to swallow. I mean...it's going to be really hard not to critique in similar fashion as incessantly as our counterparts, ad nauseum.

Just my initial, guttural, heart-level reaction.

I'm sure I'll get over it...especially if wins keep coming. ..but I feel a lot less concerned knowing the QB crop that is incoming. That is all.

Very tough situation...

The only way there is no controversy, is the worst case scenario for the team - that Cousins has little to no success, thereby everyone involved agreeing that this is still "Griffin's Team".

If Cousins has any success at all, there will certainly be TONS of controversy, media driven, fan driven, player driven - you name it.

I really feel badly, not only for a young man just starting out, but for the fans of this team. No one suffers more than a Redskins fan, it seems.

I agree with the OP...but I find it disingenuous at this time with this fan base.

So many wanted to drone on incessantly & bash our starting QB, & now we're all supposed to forget that & take up arms with these happy mcgloat-a-lots. I root for the team first & foremost, & next man up is certainly the mantra right now. Still...it is difficult for me to accept that now these people who were bashing RGIII just want us to all get along.

Right....NOW we're supposed to just cheer for the shirt? Where was that sentiment when RGIII started the season? I hope we win, & I'm cheering us on right in line with every other fan...but I find this an especially a tough pill to swallow. I mean...it's going to be really hard not to critique in similar fashion as incessantly as our counterparts, ad nauseum.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I support Kirk but the giddiness that many ESers displayed was disturbing to say the least.

Almost as if they were dancing on Robert's grave.

So much more that I want to say but to keep from getting banned I'll just leave it alone.

My last post in the Stadium.

Very tough situation...

The only way there is no controversy, is the worst case scenario for the team - that Cousins has little to no success, thereby everyone involved agreeing that this is still "Griffin's Team".

If Cousins has any success at all, there will certainly be TONS of controversy, media driven, fan driven, player driven - you name it.

I really feel badly, not only for a young man just starting out, but for the fans of this team. No one suffers more than a Redskins fan, it seems.

I won't lose any sleep over a QB controversy. I will lose sleep over losing. If yesterday is any indication of how the team will do going forward then I will sleep very well this season. Let Gruden worry about who should play QB.

Let's see what Cousin's can do against the better defenses out there.  I'm having flashbacks of last year in the ATL game where he made poor decisions and looked lost out there when pressure got to him.  And with our right side Oline, prepare to see more and more of that.

You're having flashbacks to the game where Kirk put up almost 400 yards and overcame 3 redzone fumbles by other players to throw a would-be game-tying TD in the final seconds of the game?

Remember how "good" RG3 looked last week, and how if only this, that, and the other thing hadn't happened, we would have eeked one out?  Well, if this, that, and the other thing hadn't happened against the Falcons we would have smoked the living **** out of them.  We would have won 48-27 (using RG3 logic, of course - a fumble in the redzone takes 7 points off the scoreboard).

First, love the win...team above all. 

Happy for Kirk, he got an opportunity I know he's wanted, and played the position at a high level. 

Props to the other players that stepped up in place of injured players, (Chris Baker for Barry Cofield, Andre Roberts and Ryan Grant for Desean Jackson, Niles Paul for Jordan Reed, etc.)

What a sack performance by Ryan Kerrigan! Hatcher is a monster, Orakpo, etc. 

I say all of this as a huge Robert Griffin III supporter and feel for the young man with another recovery/set back after looking good tos tart the game. I know he wasn't as far along as Kirk above the shoulders right now in this offense, reading defenses, making quick decisions and getting rid of the ball and so on...but I think after 4-6 games Robert would have turned a corner and worked through the growing pains....he's a mentally tough young guy. 

Httr!

With the talent on the offensive roster, it will be shocking if Cousins "struggles" over the next couple of weeks.  I hope he plays well, and more importantly we get a few wins here and there.  I don't believe Cousins is a better Qb than RG, just on the fact that RG adds different dimensions to the game.  However, with this roster, I believe Cousins can go out and play well, we will just not have the dynamic threat the RG brings.  (And Sunday, he was starting to finally roll again.)  

It feels so good on a Monday after a W!!!  It's been awhile, lets cheer for more and have many Happy Mondays!!

Archived