Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

No QB is getting adequate pass pro and or quality coaching. Further complicating any QB's life, the ground game has collapsed.

Gruds should make it clear that he has NO first string QB.

While Kirk is the best pure passer, he's a gunner, an INT machine, and seems to unravel during "crunch time". He's inexperienced; needs more reps.

When comfortable Colt shows the most poise, seen occasionally scanning the field and going through progressions. Not known for powerful arm, prone to ball insecurity under duress. Concern for health ,and form, after repeated sacks.

RGIII - Victim of the same pass pro and himself. His form regressed under the pounding and misplaced priorities. Needs to focus on his "pocket skills" but would love to see him keep the ball on a read-option and run for 25+ yards. It would send a powerful message. If defenses doubt he's still a read option threat, they (DEs, etc.) can focus on AlMo.

Rodgers sat for longer than what would have been his rookie contract. However his value would not have been that great, so his 2nd contract might have been for less than his 1st using today's thinking.  Still not much harm in sitting a QB for a couple of seasons if you do not have to play him.  The Skins felt they had to play Griffin, and hindsight shows that to be a huge mistake.

Did Rodgers sit that long? I thought he sat for three years. In fact, I remember the big issue with Favre being that Rodgers was coming to the end of his contract.

Okay then, we've established that Griffin isn't dictating to Jay. So you can't turnaround and blame Griffin for running the plays are called.

I'm not trying to hate on Griffin. I think he's done everything he possibly could to make it work with Jay, who is leaving a lot to be desired (to put it nicely). But I'm still not sure that is enough for me to keep him if I'm in charge. Because I'm not sure if he's physically capable/willing to run the system he was successful at.

I'm not trying to hate on Griffin. I think he's done everything he possibly could to make it work with Jay, who is leaving a lot to be desired (to put it nicely). But I'm still not sure that is enough for me to keep him if I'm in charge. Because I'm not sure if he's physically capable/willing to run the system he was successful at.

You had me fooled. I think Griffin is gone next year because the optic from firing Gruden would be tough to get over.

Its fine if you aren't sure Griffin is capable/willing to run the system he was successful with but to be clear that a YOU issue not a Griffin issue. You are guessing about how Griffin feels and ignoring the fact that when those plays are called he runs them. And in the process you are missing the fact the Jay Gruden doesn't call a lot of read-option. And Gruden has stated that he's not a fan of the read-option. If anyone is to 'blame' (and I'm not looking to blame anyone) but since you are trying to assign blame for the amount of read-option the blame most accurately lies with Jay Gruden not Griffin.

"Not that Colin can’t do that, but I wasn’t too in-tune with the read-option stuff. But, obviously, that’s a great weapon to have.” -Jay Gruden

2011 explaining why he chose Dalton over Kaep

Its a moot point anyway because the Gruden-Griffin marriage is headed for a quick divorce.

Kirk Cousins,seriously?

He sucked when he had his chance.If anything,getting a 4th round pick for him would be a miracle. Stick it out with RG3 and get some talent to help him out.Have Colt as a backup and move forward.

Griffin is the one needing talent help.

Cousins started out good, then tapered off, just like Griffin.

McCoy started out good, and is currently tapering.

Griffin has sucked alot longer than Cousins or McCoy, because he's started more games.

But you are right on one thing; bring in some talent to help; help all 3 of them out. And bring in massive o-line rebuilding and coaching, that itself will cure a few issues, but the QBs need dedicated QB coaching this offseason; 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. If any of them doesn't show improvement, then the answer is written on the wall.

You had me fooled. I think Griffin is gone next year because the optic from firing Gruden would be tough to get over.

Its fine if you aren't sure Griffin is capable/willing to run the system he was successful with but to be clear that a YOU issue not a Griffin issue. You are guessing about how Griffin feels and ignoring the fact that when those plays are called he runs them. And in the process you are missing the fact the Jay Gruden doesn't call a lot of read-option. And Gruden has stated that he's not a fan of the read-option. If anyone is to 'blame' (and I'm not looking to blame anyone) but since you are trying to assign blame for the amount of read-option the blame most accurately lies with Jay Gruden not Griffin.

"Not that Colin can’t do that, but I wasn’t too in-tune with the read-option stuff. But, obviously, that’s a great weapon to have.” -Jay Gruden

2011 explaining why he chose Dalton over Kaep

Its a moot point anyway because the Gruden-Griffin marriage is headed for a quick divorce.

Here's what Gruden said when he as hired about RG3:

When it comes to the quarterback position, my job is to make him comfortable and productive.

"I'm not going to try to turn RGIII into Andy Dalton or Drew Brees. He isn't them. They're not him. I would be foolish to try to turn RGIII into a pocket passer. It would be foolish. The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I'm going to let him be himself."

When it comes to the quarterback position, my job is to make him comfortable and productive.

"I'm not going to try to turn RGIII into Andy Dalton or Drew Brees. He isn't them. They're not him. I would be foolish to try to turn RGIII into a pocket passer. It would be foolish. The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I'm going to let him be himself."

you should have posted this in the fire gruden asap thread, this is exactly why he should be fired.  he is a fraud, plain and simple.

you have to ask given he's not running outside much ... why not?  Gruden doesn't call those plays?  Griffin doesn't "read" those keys when they are there?  I know I've seen zone read with the read QB and Griffin hands it off ... obviously knows how to read the keys so why isn't he keeping the ball?

you have to ask given he's not running outside much ... why not?  Gruden doesn't call those plays?  Griffin doesn't "read" those keys when they are there?  I know I've seen zone read with the read QB and Griffin hands it off ... obviously knows how to read the keys so why isn't he keeping the ball?

When has Jay ever done it? He didn't do it much in Cinci either. He's said that he's not into it. He, Jay Gruden said I'm not too in-tune with the read-option stuff. And it shows. Jay barely dabbles in zone-read. You can't blame that on Griffin. Jay is not Chip Kelly, Bevell heck he's not even Kyle Shanahan when it comes to installing zone-read concepts as part of the offense.

Griffin is the one needing talent help.

Cousins started out good, then tapered off, just like Griffin.

McCoy started out good, and is currently tapering.

Griffin has sucked alot longer than Cousins or McCoy, because he's started more games.

Point of fact. You cannot bring last year up and say that Cousins played well because he didn't. Point blank. Cousins was terrible last year. And, Griffin started out good and tapered off. All the QBs have followed the same trend this year.

When has Jay ever done it? He didn't do it much in Cinci either. He's said that he's not into it. He, Jay Gruden said I'm not too in-tune with the read-option stuff. And it shows. Jay barely dabbles in zone-read. You can't blame that on Griffin. Jay is not Chip Kelly, Bevell heck he's not even Kyle Shanahan when it comes to installing zone-read concepts as part of the offense.

he's called ZR ... nothing special happened when it was run and occasionally Griffin refuses the QB run read.  I guess it could be featured like it was in 2012 ... but that lead to a combo of Morris cracking off ~5 - 8 yarders and Griffin going to town.  D's aren't going to let Morris get away with the RB read and force Griffin to run ... its not as effective and he isn't always passing up on the shutdown RB read ... It might make things a little better but how much.  Also ... Cousins and McCoy have both run it with about the same effectiveness ... makes me think something isn't right with Grif ... hope it gets right

he's called ZR ... nothing special happened when it was run and occasionally Griffin refuses the QB run read.  I guess it could be featured like it was in 2012 ... but that lead to a combo of Morris cracking off ~5 - 8 yarders and Griffin going to town.  D's aren't going to let Morris get away with the RB read and force Griffin to run ... its not as effective and he isn't always passing up on the shutdown RB read ... It might make things a little better but how much.  Also ... Cousins and McCoy have both run it with about the same effectiveness ... makes me think something isn't right with Grif ... hope it gets right

Almost every coach calls some ZR so what? Calling the occasional ZR doesn't mean he is building on the concepts as an actual part of the offense. Your turn of phrase is so anti-Griffin its funny. Griffin 'occasionally refuses'. Newsflash when the QB is unsure while reading the unblocked defender they are COACHED to give it the RB. And sometimes the QB will make the wrong read they ALL have. Colt and Kirk included but when they make the wrong read I don't hear you crying about them 'refusing' to make the right read.

You think Foles and Sanchez are actual run threats? Open your eyes. There is waaay more to zone-read then the QB keep.

And Jay is both disinterested and lacks the experience/knowledge of how to implement those zone-read concepts into his offense.

IF Jay was interested in installing these concepts (and granted he doesn't have to be) he could have hired a spread game consultant or special assistant or whatever properly staffed teams

Because Griffin is the only QB that misses some open reads....

Well you are discussing Griffin - I'm not glamoring for Colt either....

The fact is that Griffin misses them way to often. 

...and missed 5 wide open is a little bit different then missing 2.  A miss is a miss but if all receivers are open and you don't see them, well that's different then 2 being open and you not being at that specific read.

Newsflash when the QB is unsure while reading the unblocked defender they are COACHED to give it the RB. And sometimes the QB will make the wrong read they ALL have. Colt and Kirk included but when they make the wrong read I don't hear you crying about them 'refusing' to make the right read.

fair enough ... not very elite but fair ... not much happening when he does run in any case.  I know he hurt this knee (I've had worse) but he's still got impressive speed if not all that he had before and its stable ... physically ought to be better at it. 

He did say that almost 10 months ago. 10 months ago, he didn't know he had a QB who was so fundamentally flawed he would have to basically start over and relearn how to play QB, he didn't realize he had a 3rd yr QB who could not read defensese (or can read them, just cant make a decision). He spent 10 months trying to work with him, guess what, there is not an offense you could design that would help him out. I don't even believe he would be successful running the 2012 offense OR Chip Kelly's offense.

zone read or not - the pic in the article below is why he is failing:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24880773/jay-gruden-would-love-to-find-an-offense-that-suits-rg3

rg3-misses-5-wrs.jpg

I'd love to be the the film room when this was played back.  What do you even say to something like that?  It's plays like that probably have Gruden cutting loose in the press conferences. You can't scheme up a play better than that where literally everybody's open.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/12/17/kirk-cousins-ive-learned-from-my-mistakes/

Good article on Cousins! The dude gets it. Hopefully he shows up ready to take the starting position in 2015.

I would've much rather have seen Cousins play these McCoy games for this very reason.  To see what he'd learned.  He deserves another chance, IMO.  McCoy was a complete waste of time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/12/17/kirk-cousins-ive-learned-from-my-mistakes/

Good article on Cousins! The dude gets it. Hopefully he shows up ready to take the starting position in 2015.

I'd like to see Kirk have the chance to at least compete for the job next year. I think we'll see competition for the job. Whether Kirk gets that chance? We'll see.

If Cousins is watching film, working on footwork and getting prepared then I look forward in following him next year wherever he ends up.

I think Cousins will improve and be ready for next year. If Griffin is here next year, I hope he improves as well.

Look at it this way; regardless of who is the starter, having 2 young QBs with different styles and attributes would be a dangerous combo to have, provided the line is revamped.

But, both need to work on their issues; lets see what happens this offseason, if any / both of them show up at a QB camp.

Okay then, we've established that Griffin isn't dictating to Jay. So you can't turnaround and blame Griffin for running the plays are called.

DG I know you were critical of the game planning and play calling under Kyle - opening scripts in particular. I'd make a strong case both game planning and play calling and under Gruden have been worse. Much worse. 

I think Cousins will improve and be ready for next year. If Griffin is here next year, I hope he improves as well.

Look at it this way; regardless of who is the starter, having 2 young QBs with different styles and attributes would be a dangerous combo to have,

No, it would not to be a dangerous combo. It would be a quarterback controversy.

DG I know you were critical of the game planning and play calling under Kyle - opening scripts in particular. I'd make a strong case both game planning and play calling and under Gruden have been worse. Much worse.

No argument here. Kyle imo was legitimately searching for a script/gameplan that fit Griffin and got caught brining some of the same concepts back but teams were better prepared and wasn't able to add to concept because of Griffin wasn't taking the reps in offseason.

Jay had an offseason with a healthy Griffin and doesn't (until recently) make much of an effort to cater to Griffin. Jay seemed more like~this is my offense and I'm gonna call it....good luck.

I think Jays own play calling, especially getting away from the run and being predictable with 1st down runs cost is winnable games.

Archived