Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rypien going on the ROF

jpage520

Good. 

'91 was a wonderful, and magic, time to be Skins fan. 

We sat in section 244,Z(back of the end-zone), and watched as Ryp, Clark & Monk absolutely destroyed, crushed, annihilated and straight ****ed up the Falcons.    

Lol Did you get to see MC Hammer sulking on the sidelines because they couldn't shoot the music video they intended because we smacked them around so bad?

1991 was a magical season. With the exception of the second Dallas game, it was like a big party every week (the last game against the Eagles doesn't count... Gibbs sat all the starters after going up 20-7).

Congrats to Rypien as he was a big part of it. :)

We sat in section 244,Z(back of the end-zone), and watched as Ryp, Clark & Monk absolutely destroyed, crushed, annihilated and straight ****ed up the Falcons.    

It was the 2nd most passing yards by a Skins QB, and the most TD passes.   It was one of the best days by any QB, for any team, ever.

He passed for over 400 yards and 6 TD's.    He even ran one in.   kleese, Lachey was sitting on the sidelines that day ;)

Not only did we get to see MC Hammer, we also got rookie Brett Favre in the 4th qtr. I was a lot more impressed by Hammer's pouting.

Truth be told, I had no clue who Favre was and I didn't even know he was in the game until I read it in Rich Tandler's book about Gibbs 1.0 c. 2004. I remember that game pretty well for our complete and total ownage of a minor NFC threat in the 2LegittoQuit Falcons. 

In 1992, things changed. The OL (namely Jim Lachey) got banged up and others started showing signs of age. Gibbs was obviously burning out. Ryp just wasn't the same. Started throwing picks again. Decent year but a shell of 91. By 1993 he wasn't good at all.

It was a classic example of seizing opportunity when it knocked.

He held out if im not mistaken as well, missing TC and such.

I am fine with Ryp going into the ROF. To me the ROF differs greatly from any sort of HOF. When you enter the ROF I think you are getting there based on your contributions to the organization more so than just your on field performance. He was the QB for the greatest single season in team history and he has a SB MVP; even though the rest of his career was so-so, that season alone is good enough for me to think he is worthy of the ROF. He was also very likeable and that never hurts.

I'm happy for Rypien & yes, he was a great guy.  As you mentioned, very easy to like.  I remember going into that season, Coach Gibbs hinting that all Rypien had to do was 'drive the bus' with his play & we'd be fine.  

The only thing I was upset about was that the 9ers that year dodged us.  I'm still pissed about that.

But congratulations, Mark Rypien.  Thanks for the wonderful memories.

I really don't mean to come off as such a negative guy, as some of my posts today seem to indicate, and obviously I'm in the minority here but I just don't see it.  As great as he was in 1991 he was only a good QB for a year and a half, if that.  I remember clearly he had sometihg like 10 fumbles in 11 sacks 2 years earlier and there were real questionmarks about the guy.  Suddenly he is up there with Sammy Baugh and Darrell Green?  Is Timmy Smith next? 

Maybe my standards are too high but IMO when you start putting in guys who were only good for a year or 2 you dilute the honor for those truly deserving. 

Ken Beatrice used to always say that the best thing about Rypien was that he didn't make a lot of killing mental errors. He would have mistakes due to physical limitations but not usually because of decision making. Numbers prove it out because he only averaged a INT every 30 pass attempts if you look at his career numbers. I guess some fans nowadays don't value taking care of the ball because they want a guy to start at QB who averages an INT every 20 attempts and they want him to replace a guy who only averages an INT almost every 50 attempts. Joe Gibbs kept Rypien as a developmental QB on the roster despite fan noise over Preseason flash in the pan Babe Laufenberg. Funny that fan noise over Preseason flash in the pan QB's is still relevant in the Redskins fanbase today. Gibbs worked through Rypien's early issues and was rewarded. The fact that he fell off after that is irrelevant because once the Salary Cap came into effect the Redskins had to be dismantled anyway.  Thanks Ryp.

I'm happy for Rypien & yes, he was a great guy. As you mentioned, very easy to like. I remember going into that season, Coach Gibbs hinting that all Rypien had to do was 'drive the bus' with his play & we'd be fine.

The only thing I was upset about was that the 9ers that year dodged us. I'm still pissed about that.

But congratulations, Mark Rypien. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

It's the lingering bummer about 1991. The league was way down that year. Nobody was any good except us and Buffalo. 1991 was the one year in about 18 year stretch where the Niners missed the playoffs; the Cowboys were a season away from being great, the defending champ Giants had a terrible year, the Bears were "eh". The Eagles lost Randall for the year on opening day and spoiled a historically good season from their defense in 91. It was wide open and that's why you had teams like the Falcons and Lions go deep in the playoffs. It's always been disappointing to me that we didn't get to go up against one of those other great teams from that era.

Thanks PCS for posting that video.  I got to see my boy Brandes give Ryp a hug in the last frame!

Ryp was certainly not afraid to reach back and let it go.  Those were some freaking bullets.

Casserly in a nut shell, really. 

Yeah...seeing that just makes me mad.  We never quite got our mojo back in 92.  That year for me, was kinda the beginning of our decline.  Traded up to get Desmond Howard and we have sucked ever since.

Archived