Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2015/04/07/maryland-top-assistant-tina-langley-accepts-head-coaching-job-at-rice/?postshare=9291428447867648

Maryland top assistant Tina Langley accepts head coaching job at Rice

Tina Langley has resigned as associate head coach of the Maryland women’s basketball team in order to accept the head coaching position at Rice.

Langley was Coach Brenda Frese’s top assistant, helping the Terrapins reach the Final Four in each of the past two seasons. Maryland’s season ended Sunday with an 81-58 loss to Connecticut in Tampa.

Rice had been searching for a new coach since Gregg Williams announced his retirement March 17 following 10 seasons with his alma mater.

“Being a part of the Maryland family has been one of the greatest blessings of my life,” Langley said in a statement. “I don’t know how to begin to thank Brenda Frese for the many years of friendship and mentoring. She is not only one of the greatest coaches in the game, she is also an amazing person.

To her, and to all the staff and student-athletes I have been so fortunate to work with, I will be forever grateful.”

Langley is Frese’s second assistant to leave in as many years. Last season, David Adkins departed Frese’s staff to become a player development assistant with the Washington Wizards.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2015/04/08/terps-assistant-coach-marlin-chinn-named-head-coach-at-fiu/

Terps assistant coach Marlin Chinn named head coach at FIU

Marlin Chinn is leaving his position as an assistant with the Marylandwomen’s basketball team in order to accept the head coaching job at Florida International University.

The move comes one day after former top assistant Tina Langley departedto become head coach at Rice. Shay Robinson is the only assistant remaining at the moment on Terrapins Coach Brenda Frese‘s staff following a second straight appearance in the Final Four.

Maryland’s season ended with an 81-58 loss to Connecticut Sunday in the national semifinals. The Huskies won their third straight national championship and 10th overall Tuesday night, beating Notre Dame, 63-53.

“I’m really happy for Marlin to get this opportunity,” Frese said in a statement. “He’s been a veteran assistant. We’ve watched him grow, and this is the next step for him.”

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Jake-Layman-Returning-to-Maryland-36697340

BREAKING: Jake Layman Returning to Maryland

Maryland junior Jake Layman will return to school for his senior season, a source confirmed to IMS, giving Mark Turgeon a major piece of a roster regarded among the best in college basketball.

Layman, a 6-foot-9, 205-pound forward, averaged 12.5 points and a team-high 5.8 rebounds this season, earring third-team all-Big Ten honors. With Dez Wells graduating, he could be the No. 2 scoring option -- after freshman point guard Melo Trimble -- on a Terps team listed in the top five of most early 2015-2016 rankings.

Layman, though viewed by most scouting services as a second-round pick, was seriously considering entering his name in the Draft as first reported by InsideMDSports earlier in April. With the addition of heralded 6-10 center Diamond Stone and 6-9 power forward Robert Carter, who sat out last year following his transfer from Georgia Tech, Layman, who played major minutes this season at power forward, should slide back to small forward, his natural position -- both in college and the NBA.

Layman will also be the first four-year scholarship player at Maryland under Turgeon; fellow Class of 2012 signees Seth Allen, Shaquille Cleare, and Charles Mitchell transferred last off-season. The other member of Turgeon's first full class, guard Sam Cassell Jr., was denied admissions and is now at UConn.

With Layman back in the fold, Maryland's lineup will be filled with talent, but also size. Turgeon could start a lineup that includes three players 6-9 or taller in Layman, Carter and Stone, with 7-foot rising sophomore Michal Cekovsky and 6-10 junior-to-be Damonte Dodd coming off the bench.

Big Ten goes through College Park RT @GaryParrishCBS: MD's Mark Turgeon told @CBSSports that Jake Layman will return for his senior year.

Maryland is absolutely loaded. Trimble, Wiley, Nickens also back. Diamond Stone coming in, Robert Carter eligible to play. LOADED.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/ncaa-maryland-terps/jake-layman-nba-mock-draft-will-return-maryland-senior-season

...from this: "Early odds from Las Vegas give Maryland a 12-1 chance to win the national title, among one of five teams listed with the best odds. NBCSports.com projected Maryland as the No. 3 team in the country in early preseason projections. "

:)

And yeah, I think they should change the stadium  name. To what, I have no idea. My first thought was something to do with Plank. But maybe name it after some thing instead of someone.

• Like 1

And yeah, I think they should change the stadium  name. To what, I have no idea. My first thought was something to do with Plank. But maybe name it after some thing instead of someone.

I was thinking about selling the naming rights to Under Armour. I'm cool with Under Armour Stadium…If not, just call it Gary Williams Stadium :)

• Like 2

Layman coming back is a big deal. He had an AWFUL tourney. But he knows it.

He needs to add 20-30lbs of muscle. 

Not necessarily. He will play the three next year. He could get stronger, but he will be able to use his size/athleticism and range. He will be more of a shooter/slasher next year. If he is on the block, it will be against much smaller opponents. I think he will have a great year. With his defensive rebounding responsibility being lessened by the presence of Carter and Stone, Layman will be able to finish on the break more often. I see a great year for him next year.

Not necessarily. He will play the three next year. He could get stronger, but he will be able to use his size/athleticism and range. He will be more of a shooter/slasher next year. If he is on the block, it will be against much smaller opponents. I think he will have a great year. With his defensive rebounding responsibility being lessened by the presence of Carter and Stone, Layman will be able to finish on the break more often. I see a great year for him next year.

Even at the 3. He will get pushed around, He needs that weight to be able to fight through and also not get knocked off his spot. These smaller dude are like wrecking balls now. 

Next year its going to be a crazy starting lineup

Melo, Nickens, Layman, Carter, Stone

Even at the 3. He will get pushed around, He needs that weight to be able to fight through and also not get knocked off his spot. These smaller dude are like wrecking balls now.

Next year its going to be a crazy starting lineup

Melo, Nickens, Layman, Carter, Stone

I don't disagree with that. I guess my point is he won't get manhandled and abused at the 3 as he did at the 4. He will be be able to play to his strengths more next year than he did this year. I absolute agree with you about the roster: The starting 5 is amazing and they will be very deep!
  • Like 1

I was thinking about selling the naming rights to Under Armour. I'm cool with Under Armour Stadium…If not, just call it Gary Williams Stadium :)

I'd be happy to see the stadium not only renamed, but completely rebuilt.  Going to games at Byrd, I am struck by how much improvement has occurred over the past decade but also dismayed by the formidable amount of work remaining to make that place a truly good venue for football games.

My perfect-world preference would be to move all fraternities to the Knox Rd. area (before that area was acquired for other housing), level the then-newly-abandoned Frat Row plus New Leonardtown, build a new football stadium there, and cut-and-cover a tunnel to drop Rt. 1 about 20' so there could be a block-long, at-grade pedestrian mall crossing from Chapel Fields directly to the stadium location. Badass in nearly every way and immediately compatible with the new East Campus development plus the Purple Line.  It also would be a return to the location of the original Byrd Stadium.  

I would like to call the stadium "Big Byrd," particularly in light of Jim Henson's connection to the University.  But given the connotations anymore, a different name would be required.

Funding would be the issue... unless the campus were to become a cornerstone location for a successful DC Olympic bid, in which case the money structures might be there.

Too bad it will never happen.  Maybe instead we could get Sergey Brin to fund massive renovations to the existing location, and rename it "Nyrd Stadium."