Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

foom, I gotta agree with Taze and kosher. Throttle down a little man. Both Major and kosher are well respected, long time posters here. I don't think it's advisable, or very cool, to trash talk in a thread of another team either (especially after a tough loss), but Major's comment about sour grapes was pretty timid. Poorly timed, and in the wrong thread maybe, but not really malicious. I think kosher is just trying to help get you through the anger stage of the loss. If this were a Terps only board, or someone was maliciously trolling, I could see it a little better, but this is a come one-come all Skins board. We're all a big happy family here, right? ;) Terps fans have a lot to be happy about after this season, and it's only getting better with last night's news. I don't want to speak for anyone else though, so I'll shut up now. Just my two cents.

Wow, some of you folks take this Waaaayyyyyy to seriously.

I know this is a Skins board.  I respect and like everyone on this board who is a Skins fan.  I get it.

A guy from WVU came into a Terps thread and posted some non-sense.  While you guys like him from other threads, this one is for Terps, period. I showed him how dumb, and then Hypocritical his post was.  That was all.  He and I went on a couple of times and it was over. That is what message boards are about.  Back and forth, then over.

We don't need you guys voting on who 'wins' or 'loses'.  Neither of us got out of hand and there was nothing personal.  We got it, so you should let it go.

Thanks. HTTR.  Go Women Terps.  Nice to see Mens Lax crush Michigan.

LOVED Vasquez.  He was much like Walt Williams in the respect that they were basically the only guys on the team and were unstoppable.  Both were 2nd team AA and both should have been 1st team.

First, I am old enough to remember when the Terps from the late 70s and early 80s were good, but one team went to the Tournament, and lots of teams, Terps included, didn't get to show how good they really were..  Many great players from those years.

I loved Vasquez and he was a super player to watch.  Cheered for him from the start and will always be a big fan.

That being said, there was NO bigger player in the history of UMD basketball than the Wizzer, period.

I was a student at UMD during this crap time.  The NCAA had come down on MD athletics, and the UMD Administration piled on even more.  It looked bleak - very much like a death sentence - and Walt was a quality player who could have easily gone other places and nobody would have been upset with him.  Instead, he decided to say on.  I love Gary Williams and will always say he saved UMD basketball (and I will argue, Football as well because they were on the way out when he brought Terps athletics 'back').  He took over a program as far down as one could be, with one guy who could ball.  WW was the Terps only bright spot in a couple seasons of blackness.  Instead of bailing, he stayed, giving Gary and the Terps some validation.  He never won the national championship, but he was every bit an instrumental in them winning it as Dixon, Baxter, etc.  Love WW and he is a true UMD Legend.

Edited by btfoom

Wow, some of you folks take this Waaaayyyyyy to seriously.

I wasn't really surprised by the strong reaction, especially in this thread. I was mostly just trying to help tone it down a bit and avoid any appearance of name calling, I thought it may have been about to get ugly, and didn't want to see any Woody Allen Sleeper avis up in here banning people. That's all. Probably not my place though. 

I'm with you 100% on Williams. Who knows what  the story of Maryland basketball, and Gary Williams, would be had he not stayed. 

So, anyone finding it hard figuring out who to root for at this point? New conference rival Wisconsin, juggernaut Kentucky, or Michigan State. State or Wisconsin for me. Leaning State just because I respect the hell out of Tom Izzo. B1G baby.

So, anyone finding it hard figuring out who to root for at this point? New conference rival Wisconsin, juggernaut Kentucky, or Michigan State. State or Wisconsin for me. Leaning State just because I respect the hell out of Tom Izzo. B1G baby.

Anyone but Duke!!

• Like 4

Anyone but Duke!!

EXACTLY!  Never ever root for dook. I have no issue with either of the B1G teams winning. MD fans can just shove that back into the face of the ACC.

As for Kentucky, I have no issue with them winning. They have been the best team this year, and it hasn't been close. If they can win these last two games, they deserve it. But, I'll also admit I was getting excited seeing Notre Dame looking like they would pull off the upset. If Wisconsin or Michigan St knocks off Kentucky, I'll enjoy it.

• Like 1

I'm with you 100% on Williams. Who knows what  the story of Maryland basketball, and Gary Williams, would be had he not stayed.

IMHO, that is a great question that I'm glad we never had to answer.

I can't express how happy I am that Gary got his name on the floor at the new arena.  I just wish that the home section had WW's name on it.

BTW - appreciate you 'toning it down,especially on my part' on this thread.  I am a fierce supporter of UMD (as any alum would be), but good to settle down the replies a bit.

• Like 1

Tuesday 
3:00, ESPNU - McDonald's All-American Scrimmage 
(replayed Wednesday at 5:30 pm)

Wednesday 
9:00, ESPN - McDonald's All-American Game - DIAMOND STONE! 
(replayed at 12:30 AM and 7:00 AM on ESPNU)

Bonus - Girl's Game with two Terp commits at 6:30 on ESPNU

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

In a year when the Big 10 was supposed to be down, they went and won the National Championship in football and have 2 of the 4 teams in the Final Four in basketball.

I hate Duke and John Calipari, so I guess I'm rooting for an all Big 10 final, but that probably won't happen. I have no big rivals this year in the new conference, so it really won't bother me if another Big 10 team wins it being our first year in the league, but after this year, no way.

• Like 1

Testudo Times retweeted

@testudotimes @TestudoDave Shameless plug. Diamond Stone on the show Monday morning at 11. If you'd into that. http://www.glennclarkradio.com/listen/ 

Highlights:

Says no chance he backtracks on decision to commit to Maryland

Says Under Armor played no role in decision to commit. Strength and conditioning coach Kyle Tarp was a factor

Thinks about the one and done thing a lot. Will take his time when making that decision. Wants to be careful with a decision that will effect his entire life

Loved the chemistry of the team and how he thought he would fit well with Dodd, Brantley, and other players

Said B1G 10 was not really a factor. He liked Maryland. Would have gone even if in ACC

Between now and fall his focus will be on working with Kyle Tarp on getting his body ready. Bigger, stronger, 

Go Terps

Here's the archive:

http://www.glennclarkradio.com/2015/03/29/diamond-stone-on-whether-he-could-change-his-mind-if-wisconsin-wins-championship-no-chance

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1

.@Diamond_Stone33 on his commitment: "[Turgeon] talked to me about how I was going to fit into his system...Just improving everyday."

@Diamond_Stone33 on leaving Wisconsin: "I get all the tweets calling me a traitor...I just turn my notifications off."

@Diamond_Stone33 on recruiting process: "I'm really relieved, it was kind of overwhelming...Great coaches calling you everyday."

.@Diamond_Stone33 on playing in #Wisconsin: "I know it's going to be loud, going to be a lot of boos...A crazy atmosphere...I'm ready."

.@Diamond_Stone33 on second-guessing commitment: "No chance, I made my decision. I'm a man of my word....There's no backing out."

@Diamond_Stone33 mentioned #Terps strength and conditioning coaches' transformation of Alex Len physically as a reason for commitment.

Glenn Clark @GlennClarkRadio

.@Diamond_Stone33 on his nickname: "Call me anything you want, as long as the #Terps win."

@Diamond_Stone33 on future beyond Fr. season: "If I have a breakout Fr. year, of course I'm going to think about [the NBA]."

.@Diamond_Stone33 on College Park: "CP showed a lot of love...Their chemistry level's so high...That's why they were top-10 this year."

.@Diamond_Stone33 on #Terps and B1G: "If #Maryland was Big 12, Pac-10, I would still consider."

.@Diamond_Stone33 on what to improve: "My body. Transform my body. I have all the skills..I have everything I need...Transforming my body."

.@Diamond_Stone33 on #Terps: "We're going to be hard to stop, so many weapons..So good for me, one-on-one in the post..passing to shooters."

• Like 1

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Terps-Expected-to-Express-Interest-in-Drexel-Transfer-36500779

Terps Expected to Express Interest in Drexel Transfer

According to multiple reports, Drexel shooting guard Damion Lee will transfer from the program. Lee plans to graduate in June, which will allow him to transfer to a new school without sitting out a season.

The 6-foot-6 wing, who attended high school at Calvert Hall in Baltimore and played AAU basketball with D.C. Assault, was named first-team all-CAA this past season after averaging 21.4 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game. He shot 38.5 percent from three and 88.7 percent from the free throw line.

Lee sat out the majority of the previous year with a knee injury, allowing him to receive a medical redshirt, and suffered a broken hand at the end of the 2014-15 season.

Maryland hasn't been able to contact him yet because he was under scholarship at Drexel, but the Terps staff is likely to express interest now that he's on the market.

In addition to having a need for an athletic wing to replace Dez Wells, there's also a number of connections between the staff and Lee.

Maryland special assistant Juan Dixon also was a star shooting guard at Calvert Hall and graduating senior Jon Graham attended Calvert Hall at the same time as Lee. Lee and Melo Trimble are also from the same AAU program.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

I find it interesting that Diamond Stone is the "highest recruit ever" by MD when they have had so many All Americans and a National Player of the Year.  Obviously there are some flaws in the evaluation process.

I thought the same thing.  The other day, I read an article on this subject.  It said that the national evaluating process is relatively new and wasn't in affect when UMd recruited many top flight players.

Hope this is a trend.

So do we have any idea who we will be playing out of conference next year. I see we have tourney games against Illinois State and Connecticut, anything else been released.

The other teams in the Jimmy V classic are Virginia and West Virginia so if they can beat UCONN they'll have a shot chance to avenge one of this seasons losses

Edited by BALLz