Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Not sure what thread it was in, but Hersh made a great point that the UConn womens team is too good. I agree. When you win "tournament" games 109-34, that's s bit ridiculous. He said it is bad for the women's game and I agree with him. But then again, Tennesssee was that team before UConn. Great season by the lady Terps though.

• Like 1

Women's college basketball is the most flawed sport in college.  There are so few female college basketball players with ability to play at a high level. 

In the last 21 years 7 teams have one the National Championship.  UConn has 9 titles, Tennessee has 5 titles, Baylor has 2 titles.  That's 3 teams with multiple titles in 21 years.  The other 4 teams have 1 title.

Maryland has an outstanding program but will probably never compete with UConn or Tennessee unless they could battle through and get a couple of back to back titles.  If I were the best woman in the game and wanted a sure title, there are only two programs to consider.

Geno is a great coach but when you are literally getting the #1 player every year (for the most part) you should be pretty successful.

Heck, Geno has had years where he has gotten like 5 of the top 10.

That's great for UCONN basketball....but I'm not sure how great it is for Women's basketball in general.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Maybe Layman considering the draft is more serious than was expected. Seems like he could be a low first/early second rounder. I wonder if he thinks he'll take more of a backseat next year and hurt his draft stock, if he stays. Maybe he thinks this could be his best opportunity. Personally, I think I'd want to stay and take a shot with what could be a real contender next year. Guess we'll find out soon.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Turgeon-We-gotta-get-Jake-Layman-back-in-the-fold-36636635

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/ncaa-maryland-terps/jake-layman-nba-mock-draft-mark-turgeon-comments-may-hint-which-way-leaning

Edited by SoulSkin

I think at this point, he is what he is and whether he leaves now or next year, I'm not sure he'd move up or down where he's slotted. For selfish reasons, I want him to stay.  I think if he goes to the NBA, he'll barely sniff the court.  He's not strong enough or consistent enough with his shot to play the 3 or 4 in the pros.  If he stays, he might get less touches, but it could help him by being more efficient with the amount of touches he gets.

• Like 1

NCAA Men's is no different. 12 teams have won 41 of the last 50 titles.

Since 1995 11 different men's teams have won titles.  No team has dominated like the women's side.

College sports will always be flawed to an extent.  The women's game is still the worst.

I guess you're right pj. He is kind of what he is. I don't see him bulking up tremendously in the offseason. Maybe he could gain more consistency all around. I guess if he goes, he'll be a developmental guy and hope to get playing time way down the road. Maybe being in the system sooner gets him there quicker. I can't imagine him in an actual live NBA game anytime soon, but I'm no expert. Interesting take KH. You're the first person I've seen saying that they hope he leaves. 

In this article from February, he talks about Chandler Parsons (who he is compared to) and how he feels that his game might fit the NBA better.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/01/sports/jake-layman-is-powering-marylands-basketball-resurgence.html?_r=0

“I feel like his game fits a little more in the N.B.A. than in the college game, and that’s what I feel like,” Layman said of Parsons. “I think I’m a guy that doesn’t have to have the ball in his hands all the time to really make an impact. I feel like I could be one of those guys that hangs out in the perimeter and just shoots 3s and slashes to the basket when he needs to.”

Edited by SoulSkin

Too lazy to look up percentages, but my eyes tell me he needs some work on that 3 point shot he's talking about.  Maybe its my mind playing tricks on me, but it feels like nearly everytime he got an open look, particularly late in the season - CLANK.

I just don't see how this guy is gonna get any tick in the league.

I'm pretty much agree with you pj, except I would rather he leave at this point.

He is so inconsistent, that I would rather free up the spot for someone else.

My only concern with him leaving is on the heels of the 5 transfers, it would test our depth again. He'd bring senior leadership and another long body. Evan is leaving as is Graham, so you only have Dodd, Chekovsky, Stone and Carter. Don't want the front line to be too thin.

I think Layman can play in the NBA.  He's an athletic, wiry big who can shoot and drive to the rim.  He needs to work on his consistency though.  Too often he disappeared.  He doesn't have much of a post game.  He would be a SF in the league, so he has to work on his handles too.  He is not a very good dribbler.  

He should come back to show that he can score consistently.  Although I agree, with Carter and Stone coming in, and Trimble running things, he may not get that opportunity.  I think now is his best chance to get drafted, sadly.  Although a good showing next year could really upgrade his stock.

Yeah. I see it as an opportunity for Chekovsky. I see a lot of potential in that kid. I think Layman has hit his ceiling and as abdc states the guy has mediocre handles at best.

Soul, I think when Layman is aggressive he seems to be so much better...but you never know when that is going to happen.

Battered, I haven't looked up his 3 percentages either but I doubt it breaks the 30-37% range. Which is again only college range.

Just looked it up 37.8%.

Edited by Kosher Ham

If you watch highlights of this year, Layman shows up a lot early in the year. He is making unbelievably athletic plays and hitting shots. But something happened with him, and late in the year, he's not in those highlights. He almost completely disappeared. I'm not sure what makes him think the same thing won't happen at the next level. He has to learn to be more consistent.

Probably gonna be talking about Layman and Diamond Stone on this

IMS Radio is live. http://live.imsradioshow.com 

Edit: If you did listen and made it through the glitch filled beginning, it got a lot better. They touched on Layman and at least one of the guys seems to think it's 50/50-ish on him declaring. They mentioned that maybe he is worried he may tale a lesser role with the talent coming in, and maybe giving scouts another year to see him "not step up". Just opinions and speculation though.

Then they talked about potential guys to fill Layman's place, if that happens, including a couple of potential transfers including Damion Lee or Rasheed Sulaimon. Wait, what?  :o These guys are potentially coming in regardless of Layman's decision, but they think the most likely replacement would be a grad transfer, if I heard correctly.

Here's this:

http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/4/4/8340041/maryland-basketball-transfers-2015-2014-2013

and this, about Sulaimon, if you want to read about his weird situaution at Duke:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article17332781.html#/tabPane=tabs-b0710947-1-1

I'm pretty sure they said Turgeon recruited Sulaimon when he was at A&M.

Next day edit: here's an edited version of the original show, much better: It's in the second player on the page (4.6.15)

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/IMS-Radio-Season-Review-Diamond-Stone-Talk-and-More-36661943

Edit: Well, if you mak

Edited by SoulSkin

If you watch highlights of this year, Layman shows up a lot early in the year. He is making unbelievably athletic plays and hitting shots. But something happened with him, and late in the year, he's not in those highlights. He almost completely disappeared. I'm not sure what makes him think the same thing won't happen at the next level. He has to learn to be more consistent.

He took over when Dez was out. Disappeared when Dez returned.