Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

How can you be within a few miles of each other and play only twice in 20 years? It would be like Penn, Nova, LaSalle, Temple and St Joes never playing each other. MD, Georgetown, GW and Mason should play each other every year.

Two  words:  John Thompson.

Here's a cool recap from the last time they played in the regular season

http://www.testudotimes.com/2008/8/22/598808/9-a-nmaryland-beats-georg

They throttled the Terps in 'The Old Spice Classic' in 2008

The game in 93 was epic and put MD back on the map. Maryland also beat them in 2001 on the way to their first Final Four. I'd take those two wins over a meaningless November tournament.

How can you be within a few miles of each other and play only twice in 20 years? It would be like Penn, Nova, LaSalle, Temple and St Joes never playing each other. MD, Georgetown, GW and Mason should play each other every year.

If you watch the clip, there are two things that stick out as to why they didn't play.

The first is all of the Maryland fans in attendance. The game was played at the US Air Arena, which was Georgetown's home court, yet the MD fans took over the arena. The "excuse" by both schools revolved around that fact. Maryland said the next game should be at MD since the game was played at Georgetown. Georgetown says the game was a neutral court game. So back and forth they go like a couple of 4 year olds.

The second reason is because of the final score. Georgetown owned the local basketball scene and much of the national scene as well. Both teams went in different directions after that game. Maryland was on the rise, and Georgetown was headed for mediocrity. Georgetown really had something to lose by playing MD.

What's amazing to me is that the Georgetown mystique was gone long ago, and after MDs national championship they went on a decent into mediocrity. Yet they still can't get together and play.

Edited by Redskin4ever

MD owned Georgetown historically and JT knew GT was MD's redheaded stepchild.  When GT was good, they didn't want to chance losing to MD.  MD owns them historically.  Including the Joe Smith game.  :D   Pathetically scared.

While I am not a JT fan, he was the one that put GTown on the map.  He never did anything that would not benefit his program and playing MD was of no benefit to him. Playing MD in 1993 was a move to resurrect the program and no one had a clue who Joe Smith was before that game.  After the game, MD was on the map, and Gtown was officially back as the #2 area team.

• Like 1

Yeah, no reason that MD, GT, GW and Mason shouldn't play each other every year on a home and home basis now.

You don't understand how these schedules work.

I would prefer MD play Duke and UNC every year right now. It is not going to happen.

Why should Mason and GW get 2 nearly certain losses ?

Why would MD and GT face a potential loss ? I would love to see that game yearly though.

I think it's good for both fanbases. The biggest complaint Maryland fans had with the switch was the lack of rivalry games. Georgetown lost Syracuse. This will give each a local rivalry that can be great and last for a long time. They should play each other every year. They should rotate between Verizon, Xfinity and the Baltimore arena. I love it

You don't understand how these schedules work.

I would prefer MD play Duke and UNC every year right now. It is not going to happen.

Why should Mason and GW get 2 nearly certain losses ?

Why would MD and GT face a potential loss ? I would love to see that game yearly though.

So please, tell me how they schedule, since you seem to know everything.

It would be great for the area, great for the fans and make lots of money for the four schools. Everyone wins. The fans in Philly go nuts when the Big 5 play each other.

Snarky ? Impressive, I like it. Much better than your whining typical ways...wait...not really.  I'll still take it as a compliment. Thanks.

I just explained it. It's very simple.

It's not about the money for MD. They make plenty of money. Have for decades.

Play plenty of local schools, for expected wins. Play their conference and generally one or two at the most tough opponents ( think ranked outside of conference ) .

You remind me of a friend of mine from college. He's seen it all, knows it all, been there and done that. Yet, he really hasn't. He's a lawyer. I have to remind him from time to time that he doesn't have to impress me for me to like him.

I'm not saying you're not a smart guy, obviously you are. I cannot in any way disprove anything you have said as I don't know you personally. But you do tend to come off as a know it all in a lot of threads. It's not a good quality. And yes, I realize I whine too much, but I'm working on that. Takes time. I've been good for the last few weeks.

I'm just saying, what the 5 teams do for Philly, the 4 teams could do for DC. I like the new rivals in the Big 10. I'm done with Duke and UNC.

• Like 1

I do come across as jerk sometimes. I get it. I still got love for you man. I don't hold grudges.

It's not intentional really, just my snarky, dry sense of humor, combined with my tendency to be a smart ass.  

I tend to think of myself as someone who knows a little bit about many things, and very little about as many. There are very few topics in reality that I am fully experienced or versed in.

Topics I know nothing about, I will ask questions or just read to educate myself. I read every day...to learn, to grow, to better myself.

Read and watch the news daily, travel as much as I can, eat everywhere I can.

One thing you can't call me is a liar though. If I say I did...I did. and I don't exaggerate.

Edited by Kosher Ham
  • Like 1