Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yes, they were the favorite. But with Bama, ND and PSU. You never know. 

He also said Trevon Diggs was going to Maryland too and rattled off what seemed like a dozen names of guys he wanted to go with him. 

Maybe Bama and ND, I don't think PSU was in the running after they took a QB this cycle.  PSU's coach has been vocal about wanting two QB's this recruiting year, but if you were Haskins and one highly rated guy was already going there, why bother?  Maryland or somewhere else is a smarter choice.

I don't want it to sound like I think he's afraid of competition, but in his shoes, I'd rather go somewhere where I could focus on being groomed for the job, rather than both being groomed and having to keep on eye on the other guy they recruited at the same time.

Blessed to have this opportunity. I'm verbally committed to University of Maryland. #GoTerps The Movement is REAL 1f422.png

Haskins listed a about 15 other recruits he plans to work on. #Terps hoping for pied piper effect. Haskins: "The movement's in full effect."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Maybe Bama and ND, I don't think PSU was in the running after they took a QB this cycle.  PSU's coach has been vocal about wanting two QB's this recruiting year, but if you were Haskins and one highly rated guy was already going there, why bother?  Maryland or somewhere else is a smarter choice.

I don't want it to sound like I think he's afraid of competition, but in his shoes, I'd rather go somewhere where I could focus on being groomed for the job, rather than both being groomed and having to keep on eye on the other guy they recruited at the same time.

perhaps.

I think the other side of that coin is......going someplace where he can be that guy where you say "That's when the program took the next step forward" instead of being another cog in a giant machine that is on the title scene all the time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2466112-dwayne-haskins-commits-to-maryland-targets-recruits-to-join-the-movement

Though Haskins now lives in Maryland, he grew up in New Jersey, just minutes away from Rutgers. Former Scarlet Knights star wide receiver Mohamed Sanu was among his early mentors.

“It was really hard to choose between those two schools because I feel a strong connection with both places," he said. "I got to spend a lot of time getting to know everything about both universities and football programs.”

Ultimately, he felt a stronger pull toward the Terrapins.

“I’ll always be Jersey-born, but I’m DMV-made," Haskins said, alluding to the acronym for an area that encompasses Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Mid-Interview-Haskins-Delivers-First-Commitment-Ohio-DT-Pooler-37306922

Mid-Interview, Haskins Delivers First Commitment: Ohio DT Pooler

Dwayne Haskins didn't wait long to earn his first stripes as a recruiter for Maryland.

Haskins arranged to have defensive lineman Jeffery Pooler commit live on the radio of his interview on ESPN980 Saturady morning. In the middle of the interview, Pooler was unexpectedly introduced by host Tim Murray, who asked where he'll attend college.

"[in] 2016, I'll be a Maryland Terp," said Pooler, a 6-foot-4, 272-pound defensive tackle at Chaminade-Julienne High in Dayton. "We gotta get everybody else on board now."

Haskins said he'd been talking to Pooler on Twitter, who chose the Terrapins over offers from Air Force, UConn and several MAC schools, for a few weeks.

"I think he's a a great athlete a great player and I feel he can help me win a national championship," Haskins said.

Murray: "I still don't understand what just happened."

Stay tuned for an interview with Pooler ...

Um....that guy is the #96 rated DT on the 247 rankings, a two star guy...why not work on Ellison Jordan, who is both in state and far higher ranked.

I mean, not that I mind, by all means fill out the rest of your class with guys like that.  Hope he succeeds, but that isn't exactly a splash.

Edited by Forehead

Um....that guy is the #96 rated DT on the 247 rankings, a two star guy...why not work on Ellison Jordan, who is both in state and far higher ranked.

I mean, not that I mind, by all means fill out the rest of your class with guys like that.  Hope he succeeds, but that isn't exactly a splash.

Pooler will be attending a few camps this summer  and I expect him to end up a mid-3 star when all is said and done.

And as for Ellis Jordan...Maryland's recruiting him hard and are one of the favorites.

15-16 Preseason Top 25: 1. Maryland 2. UNC 3. Kansas 4. Iowa State 5. Kentucky 6. Virginia 7. Duke 8. Oklahoma 9. Wichita State

I don't follow college football as much as other sports, so forgive the dumb question. Will Haskins start next year? I always thought freshmen get a year on the bench to mature physically and mentally. Isn't Rowe going to be the starter next year?

I don't follow college football as much as other sports, so forgive the dumb question. Will Haskins start next year? I always thought freshmen get a year on the bench to mature physically and mentally. Isn't Rowe going to be the starter next year?

Haskins is the class of 2016.

Rowe is a junior so Haskins will be a freshman his senior season.

I expect Rowe to be the starter the next two years with Haskins getting some playing time his freshman year.

That way he'll be ready to go by his sophomore year.

Basically I don't think Haskins will be redshirted.

Heck, some people think he'll take the job from Rowe as a freshman.

Personally, I don't believe that but we'll see.

I don't care if your a 1,2,3,4,5 star or your not rated. That don't mean a thing. The question is can you ball or not !?

http://maryland.scout.com/story/1546397-ttdave-s-inside-the-shell?s=174

Haskins Scouting Report 

For those wondering what kind of impact Haskins will have on the field, here was my scouting report on the 6-foot-3, 185-pounder after watching him play last fall: 

Poise. Dwayne Haskins shows impeccable poise for a junior quarterback, coolly standing in the pocket and delivering strikes, deftly sliding up to avoid an incoming rush end, and improvising when a play breaks down. He has a swagger to him, and it’s quite clear watching his body language -- and that of his teammates -- that he owns the huddle. It’s Haskins’ show, and everyone on the Bullis side seems to know it … and they trust him to get the job done. Physical attributes can be evaluated on film, but what impressed me the most about Haskins was how he led the offense and commanded attention. 

And, yes, he has plenty of tools. Physically, Haskins is maybe a shade under 6-3, 185 pounds, so height isn’t going to be an issue for him at the next level. Operating primarily out of the shotgun, Haskins showed the rare ability to run an up-tempo spread, something not seen often at the high school level. He executed play-action, looked off receivers, pump-faked to get a safety to bite, and even scrambled to buy time for his wideouts to come open. On one particularly impressive play, he sensed the cornerback would bite and redirected his receiver mid-play, sending him on a go-route for a long gain. 

• Like 1

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Terek-Zingale-Commits-To-Maryland-37314096

Terek Zingale Commits To Maryland

Maryland football picked up its second commit of the day when Ohio offensive tackle Terek Zingale announced his commitment Saturday night.

"I just felt comfortable with Maryland. The academics, the coaching staff, everything about Maryland made me feel comfortable about the school," Zingale told IMS.

The three-star from Macedonia, Ohio, chose Maryland over offers from Illinois, Ohio and others. He becomes the 10th commit for the 2016 class and the third in two days, highlighted by four-star Dwayne Haskins' commitment on Friday. Earlier Saturday, Maryland added another Ohio prospect -- Dayton defensive tackle Jeffery Pooler.

Zingale chose Maryland over offers from Cincinnati, Illinois, Akron, Ohio and Toledo, along with interest from Michigan State, Duke and others.

The 6-foot-6, 300-pound Zingale visited Maryland in April

Stay tuned for more on Zingale's commitment...