Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

That was really fun to watch. Broadcast showed that that was the first victory vs. a ranked team since Feb. 2016 (Purdue). Jalen Smith is gonna have some chest bruising from fired up Fernando thumping him after he made a couple of fantastic plays. Gotta keep your head on a swivel when Bruno is fired up like that apparently. 

• Haha 1

Huge win! That was Jalen Smith's best game of his short career. Really clutch plays down the stretch. I like how he learned from his charge earlier in the game and hit the floater to win it. He also was 2-3 from beyond the arc, an interesting aspect to his game. He needs to work on his footwork in the post as well as bulk up, once he does that he will be pretty damn hard to guard.

I love Bruno Fernando's intensity. He was scoring almost at will in the first half. He needs to know when to slow down though, too many turnovers. Once this team plays smarter they can compete with the upper echelon programs. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Once this team plays smarter they can compete with the upper echelon programs. 

They have one glaring weakness which will keep them from being competitive with top teams. They don’t have a reliable playmaker. Same problem the girls team has also.

Ayala is a liability running the offense. It has freed Cowan up to be more of a scoring threat, but dude almost cost them this game. Really is remarkable when you consider that Turgeon was a point guard, yet his teams have never had very good playmakers. Melo and Cowan are score first point guards. Neither were very good at finding the open guy driving to the rim.

Same thing with the lady Terps. Lewis just isn’t a good playmaking guard. They’ve got a talented girl coming in next year, but they’re gonna struggle against teams with quality backcourts.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

They have one glaring weakness which will keep them from being competitive with top teams. They don’t have a reliable playmaker. Same problem the girls team has also.

Ayala is a liability running the offense. It has freed Cowan up to be more of a scoring threat, but dude almost cost them this game. Really is remarkable when you consider that Turgeon was a point guard, yet his teams have never had very good playmakers. Melo and Cowan are score first point guards. Neither were very good at finding the open guy driving to the rim.

I agree about the reliable playmaker aspect, but I would say Cowan has the ability to at least generate his own shot at times with his driving ability. He just isn't consistent. He hit a few big threes tonight. I'd like to see them get Wiggins more shots because he is by far our best shooter in my opinion. 

Seth Davis made a good point during the broadcast that when Ayala and Cowan are on the floor at the same time that Ayala runs the point while Cowan is the SG. I think it should be the opposite. Offense runs smoother when the ball is in Cowan's hands. As you saw tonight Ayala doesn't have his game right with some of those bad passes.

I also think Fernando can be a big weapon. He is definitely a big matchup problem. When teams double him in the post those guards need to find the proper spacing for open shots cuz Fernando is good at recognizing the double team. His passes aren't always the best...

Team is still very young. As they gain experience throughout the year they will get better. I still see them making the tournament as a 7-10 seed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Thank goodness it’s Rutgers today. As flat as the Terps came out of the dressing room, a better team could have buried them early. Rutgers, however, sucks eggs!

Yeah, your comment after the first few minutes was right though. The game was really ugly. Ultimately though, the talent from MD won out and yes Rutgers sucks something awful. It really is a shame that there isn't a good in game coach to work with this team.  I just watch in amazement as guys with a ton of talent look like they have no clue how to play basketball at times. Turgeon on almost every occasion gives them zero help.  They could be so much more as a team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redskin4ever said:

Yeah, your comment after the first few minutes was right though. The game was really ugly. Ultimately though, the talent from MD won out and yes Rutgers sucks something awful. It really is a shame that there isn't a good in game coach to work with this team.  I just watch in amazement as guys with a ton of talent look like they have no clue how to play basketball at times. Turgeon on almost every occasion gives them zero help.  They could be so much more as a team. 

We will find out just how good this team is, coach and players very soon. After going to Minnesota, Terps play 10 games against top 25 ranked teams (currently) out of their last 15. B1G is a stacked conference this season. Won’t be surprised to see 7, maybe 8 teams get into the tournament from the B1G this year.

2 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Big road win at Minnesota! Jalen Smith starting to elevate his game. Cowan had a big game too and hit some large shots. 

Sticks coming out party tonight!

When Cowan shoots, and plays aggressively, like that, Terps will be tough to beat. Very good call by Turgeon to go zone in the second half, completely slowed their offense down.

Great win!

Fear the Turtle!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

I was reading about Jalen hurts transferring and they mentioned Maryland as a possibility with him following Locksley. Is that a legit possibility? That would be a move that could help big time for a season.

Definitely a legit possibility.

Also, expect Josh Gattis (Bama WR coach) to become our OC.

Not official yet.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 1:41 PM, GOSKINS_08 said:

I was reading about Jalen hurts transferring and they mentioned Maryland as a possibility with him following Locksley. Is that a legit possibility? That would be a move that could help big time for a season.

Is he a grad transfer for a sit out a year one?

Worst things than loading your team with coaches from Bama, and players who were backups there but likely starters here. Got to start somewhere.