Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

8 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Really? You must be very young.

Maryland was the cradle of QBs to the NFL for quite some time. Since the mid 80’s, and Boomer Esiason, there have been also:

Frank Reich (that guy coaching the Colts)

Neil O’Donnell

Scott Zolak

Stan Gelbaugh

Scott McBrien

Shaun Hill

Scott Milanovich

Sam Hollenbach

Danny O’Brien

CJ Brown

I'm 36. I knew about most of those guys, forgot about O'Donnell though. I was speaking more of the past several years. I shouldn't have said never.

Can't just roll with Pigrome and Hill, those guys aren't gonna win you anything. I feel like they should be recruiting a QB every year. I realize roster spots might prohibit them from doing so.

17 minutes ago, Fight4RGIII said:

It’s so funny how bad Ivan Bender is 

I just can’t fathom how that stiff sees any floor time for a top 20 team.

Also, this officiating crew has been hugely inconsistent tonight. Call a touch foul, and let a guy just slam into Bruno’s shoulder with no call. Been going on all night.

11 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I love watching Fernando rebound and swat shots like a monster. His engine is like 500 horsepower. 

Cowen is a deadly shooter. So is Wiggins. Whole damn team is sharp.

Was saying to the wife last night, “this is the best shooting team Maryland has had in a long time.” Every one of the five freshman can shoot the three, even Lindo and Stix. They really need a ball handling playmaker though. Ayala is not that, he’s a shooter. Cowan is okay, but he, too, is a shoot first playmaker. If he ever gets the knack for when to pass and when to go to the rack on those drives, he will be dominant.

After these last two big wins, I’d expect the Terps to be top 15 going to East Lansing Monday night. Very excited for that game. If the Terps can beat MSU there, they will be putting themselves firmly in the conversation for a top 4 seed in the NCAAs.

Let’s go Maryland!

Michigan St won that game because they had a superior coach and game plan. They essentially won the game in the first 4 minutes when they ran Fernando and Smith off the floor. I wish MD would run, but maybe their big men can't keep up when they do. Michigan St just kept beating MD down the floor and beating them to rebounds. Of course MD's offense was the usual just stand around and hope someone makes a shot. There's so much talent on this team, but the coach doesn't do a good job of getting them to excel with that talent. 

• Like 1

Maryland showed tonight that they are still a very young team that makes a lot of mistakes. They fumbled so many passes and rebounds. They also couldn't guard MSU's superior athletes. Maryland has some depth, but MSU has a lot of depth.

When Cowan has an off game the entire team struggles. No one shot the ball well aside from Wiggins. Michigan State had the better coach and better players period.

Terps still have a chance to get a decent seed and make a run in the tournament, but they need to move the ball and shoot better, as well as guard and rebound. Fundamental basketball that they sometimes lack.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, abdcskins said:

Maryland showed tonight that they are still a very young team that makes a lot of mistakes. They fumbled so many passes and rebounds. They also couldn't guard MSU's superior athletes. Maryland has some depth, but MSU has a lot of depth.

When Cowan has an off game the entire team struggles. No one shot the ball well aside from Wiggins. Michigan State had the better coach and better players period.

Terps still have a chance to get a decent seed and make a run in the tournament, but they need to move the ball and shoot better, as well as guard and rebound. Fundamental basketball that they sometimes lack.

I said earlier in the thread that this team goes as Cowan goes, and Cowan was bad last night. You know what you’re gonna get from Bruno, so it’s Cowan who has to pick up the back court. 

What last night showed me was Maryland’s lack of play making ability. Cowan, Ayala, Smith, Morsell, and Wiggins are all decent ball handlers, but are not good passers. MSU played good help defense, but Terp players are not making cuts, and the drivers are not looking for open teammates. 

It’s the Turge dilemma. Stagnant offensive movement, with two guys trying to win post position. It narrows the offensive set, and makes it much easier on the opposing defense, because all the offensive players are in a tight area, and there is little off ball movement. 

I would like like to see Stix playing out wider in the offensive sets, facing the basket. He has a solid mid range jumper, and can hit the three. Also has solid handles for a guy his size. He doesn’t have the strength yet to bang inside against bigger players, and looks more comfortable facing up.

That said, it was a tough loss, but I was just hoping they’d win one of the last two on the road, and they handled OSU nicely. Next two home games are ones they need to win, as they will then have five of their last nine on the road, and will likely be underdogs in four of those five. Also, out of the four home games, one is against Michigan. If they can win six of these last 11, they will be 22-10, and I’d guess in the 5-7 seed range.

Edited by Long n Left

What an awful game. I've said it before, but there is too much talent on this team being wasted by a below average in game coach. The Illinois coach kept adjusting defenses to stop MD, and Turgeon's response is have every stand around and run a ball screen hoping someone gets open or makes a shot.

Also, Michigan St exposed MD on Monday. If you run down the floor on offense, you will beat them down and get wide open looks because MD fails to pick up everyone on defense. It happened multiple times today and early in the 2nd half, it was 4 straight wide open 3s that Illinois made. I think we will see a lot more of that the rest of the season. 

Just horrible loss. Turgeon got completely out coached by Brad Underwood. Poor defensive game plan, Cowan and Ayala particularly to blame, but no backcourt player did themselves proud today. Way too passive on both ends of the floor, and let Illinois dictate most of the game’s tempo. 

21 turnovers, and Illinois with 13 steals. Led to them getting 14 more field goal attempts. That is a losing recipe. Only 11 assists as well. Cowan and Ayala missed probably a dozen easy lay-off dimes for easy buckets between them. If they stumble against Northwestern, they could be in real trouble, as their last nine games are brutal.

Oh yeah, the decision to sit Stix for such a long period of time later in the second half was crazy. He didn’t come back in until there was only 2:43 left, and Illinois had taken control. Turgeon’s sub pattern was strange, to say the least.

#TurgeOut

Edited by Long n Left