Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

big win last night.  This next 5 game stretch will be difficult.  Need to go 3-2 at worst 

Last night was what it should have been, and should have been the other night against Illinois in NYC. They have to beat up on inferior teams. Honestly was tenuous there, until they made a little run before halftime.

What wasn’t lost on me, was how well they played in the second half without Cowan. Now, I’d never say they are better without him, but last night showed how dynamic this team can be with proper ball movement, and movement without the ball. Too often they fall into the malaise of standing around watching Cowan dribble the air out of the ball. 

The other thing that took be aback was hearing Turgeon in a time-out huddle saying, “we’re standing around on offense too much, you need to move without the ball.” There was never a word about how or where they were supposed to move, just move...on your own. No back screens, no back door, or lane cuts, just move. I’ve been hammering Turgeon for his lack of offensive acumen, and that comment last night cemented it for me.

Turgeon has missed the tournament more than he’s made it at Maryland, but it looks like it’ll be 4 of 8 this year. Of course, that could come crashing down, as these last 9 games will be very difficult. If they go 3-2 these next 5, they will be a 4 or 5 seed. Personally, I’ll be happy with 2-3, and just hope they don’t lose all 5.

BTW, in my opinion, making the NCAAs only 4 of 8 years is not acceptable at Maryland. NOT making the tourney should be the exception.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2

These 2 stats tell you why MD lost. 

Turnovers: MD 12, Wis 4

Points off turnovers: Md 4, Wis 21. 

Your point about hero ball is a good one. Wisconsin is getting open shots by running offense and moving the ball. MD just hopes the defense forgets to switch on a ball screen or that a long shot will go down.  What's sad is every once in a while you see a good play run to get a good shot. Then you don't see another play run for like 10 minutes and it just leaves me scratching my head.