Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I can't believe it took me this long to find this thread   

Like most I am pleasantly surprised at the Terps season to date. Bruno is a man, one of the best players we have had at Maryland in a long time.  His name will be in the rafters.  Love the freshman, Wiggins was my favorite from the beginning and i expect him to be great in a year or 2.  This is a tremendous, and deep, freshman class.   I am a bit disappointed in Stix.  Still love his upside and this probably means he stays for at least another year. But as a 5 star I was kinda thinking he would be more developed.  

The way they throw the ball away, I have no idea why that is but it's been a constant under Turge (i am not a Turge basher, he's fine by me), I see them as a Sweet Sixteen ceiling.   But who knows?   They certainly have the talent to go further.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I can't believe it took me this long to find this thread   

Like most I am pleasantly surprised at the Terps season to date. Bruno is a man, one of the best players we have had at Maryland in a long time.  His name will be in the rafters.  Love the freshman, Wiggins was my favorite from the beginning and i expect him to be great in a year or 2.  This is a tremendous, and deep, freshman class.   I am a bit disappointed in Stix.  Still love his upside and this probably means he stays for at least another year. But as a 5 star I was kinda thinking he would be more developed.  

The way they throw the ball away, I have no idea why that is but it's been a constant under Turge (i am not a Turge basher, he's fine by me), I see them as a Sweet Sixteen ceiling.   But who knows?   They certainly have the talent to go further.  

Oh, c’mon, join us Turge bashers! It’s like a cult, and it’s fun!

No, really, I certainly have issues with Turge, like offensive philosophy and sets. He wants to play lump it inside out, slowing tempo, regardless of his roster. I think with the depth and athleticism of this squad, they could be effective pushing the ball a bit more. Would play into the strengths of slashers, and spot up 3 point shooters, of which, Maryland has quite a few.

Also have concerns about Turgeon’s player development, especially point guards, which Turge was. Both Melo and Cowan are essentially the same players later in their careers as they were when freshmen. Both were score first drivers, who never really developed a knack for dishing out of those drives when they collapsed the defense.

What Turge has been very good at, IMO, is recruiting (most talented roster at Maryland since their Natty year, I believe, would be crazy talented had Huerter stayed) and getting the team motivated to play solid, face up man defense. They don’t cause a lot of turnovers, or get steals, but they don’t give away buckets very easily either.

This year’s team HAS been fun to watch, but my fear is this is Turgeon’s ceiling. I believe, for a school of Maryland’s stature, we should ask for more. With one of the most fertile recruiting bases in the country, there is no reason, in my eyes, why Maryland should not be a contender year in and year out. I think it is time to put pressure on the administration to try and make that happen.

14 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Oh, c’mon, join us Turge bashers! It’s like a cult, and it’s fun!

No, really, I certainly have issues with Turge, like offensive philosophy and sets. He wants to play lump it inside out, slowing tempo, regardless of his roster. I think with the depth and athleticism of this squad, they could be effective pushing the ball a bit more. Would play into the strengths of slashers, and spot up 3 point shooters, of which, Maryland has quite a few.

Also have concerns about Turgeon’s player development, especially point guards, which Turge was. Both Melo and Cowan are essentially the same players later in their careers as they were when freshmen. Both were score first drivers, who never really developed a knack for dishing out of those drives when they collapsed the defense.

What Turge has been very good at, IMO, is recruiting (most talented roster at Maryland since their Natty year, I believe, would be crazy talented had Huerter stayed) and getting the team motivated to play solid, face up man defense. They don’t cause a lot of turnovers, or get steals, but they don’t give away buckets very easily either.

This year’s team HAS been fun to watch, but my fear is this is Turgeon’s ceiling. I believe, for a school of Maryland’s stature, we should ask for more. With one of the most fertile recruiting bases in the country, there is no reason, in my eyes, why Maryland should not be a contender year in and year out. I think it is time to put pressure on the administration to try and make that happen.

Actually I share all of your concerns on Turge. However Bruno and Huerter kind of sheds that label that he can't develop talent.  PG is harder to get a handle on. Melo's jumper left the building, that's not really on the coach.  Cowan is up and down but he's clearly better than his freshman year.

What I don't get from the bashers is this sense of entitlement from the fans who think we somehow deserve better. We have exactly 2 Elite Eights, the same number of Final Fours and one title in the program's history.  And those were accomplished by the same group in back to back years.  Other than those 2 years where Turge has taken us is not all that different than where Lefty and Gary had us.  Maybe not the high rankings, and clearly they played in a tougher conference. But missing the tourney once every few years, and going out by the Sweet Sixteen if not sooner is pretty much what we've always done with the exception of the Dixon team.

But yeah, his style is dull and he sure ain't the game coach Gary was, few are.  But he works hard at recruiting, unlike Gary, and his talent can at times make up for his average game day coaching ability.   

Edited by Darrell Green Fan