Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I still believe in Turgeon. He has this year to prove himself.

I watched the Marshall game today, Cowan balled his face off. He is so good in transition. If Ayala can shoot like that all year then watch out. It's amazing how Fernando looks like a man and all the opponents like children. Albeit we haven't faced much stiff competition yet. That will all change once conference play starts. Virginia will be a good test before then.

Excellent game by the lads today. A few takeaways from just me:

When Anthony Cowan plays at pace, as he did today, he seems so much more confident, and the team plays that much better. Best game he has had in a while. Still concerned with the turnovers though.

The first ten minutes were vintage Turgeon, and why I don’t think he’s the guy to lead this program forward. Offensive play was slow, dribble oriented, P and R based, and Marshall stayed close by making a few shots. Once Marshall started to really try and push the tempo, it played right into the Terps, and Cowan’s hands. I hope Turgeon realizes that Cowan plays so much better at pace, and he’s got enough guys around him that can run with him. Lot better, more fun to watch ball, once the pace got kicked up to high gear.

There is a lot of talent on this team. They can go 8-9 deep with little drop off, and keeping Bender on the bench (thank goodness!) If only Huerter had stayed this year, I believe they would have had a legit Final Four shot. As it is, this team will grow and get better as the freshman learn, and, hopefully, Turgeon. 

Theyve eaten up their cupcakes, now time for the main course. We will learn a lot about this squad over the next four  games.

Good effort, but turnovers the name of this game. This team will go as Cowan goes, and he had twice as many TOs as the entire UVA team, and shot barely 40%, 67% from the line, 25 from 3. Bruno and Sticks only took 14 shots between them, not good. At least Wiggins stepped up tonight, best he’s looked so far.

Great effort. Putting up 71 on Virginia might be the most they give up all year.

UVA really dictated defensive rotations with their screens, getting the match ups they wanted. Cowan is a plus plus defender but they had him closing out late on Jerome or Guy who were spotting up for 3s. Terps needed to do a better job of talking and marking the correct man. Too many times, after a couple of high screens a terp player or two would be lost and UVA would find the open guy.

Or they would close out on a 3 too hard and leave a guy open underneath. Bruno often would come for the double and try to gt the block, leaving his guy unmarked who would clean up the boards off a miss. Bruno maybe a little too aggressive trying to come over.

Ayala has the primary ball handler. I like it, he usually makes the right safe decision but occassionally he would force a dribble drive. I think Cowan coming off the ball is going to limit Cowans stats some. Seems like he wasnt fully engaged without the ball in his hands.

Second unit that came in around 10 min mark of 1st half - tough to watch. all flow was gone. Ideally either Bruno or Sticks should be on the floor at all times. They both got subbed out.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fight4RGIII said:

I hope we have some bigs coming in next years class because Jalen and Bruno will be gone. No depth beyond them. Hopefully those twins can help fill that void 

Yup, I think this year is the window for a hopeful Sweet 16 appearance.

The twins should help but I dont see them being anywhere near a Bruno of Sticks level. Freshman Lindo has some surprising height (6'7") and fluid game. Not sure he can bang down low. With Cowan, Ayala, Wiggins, Morsell, Smith, Lindo etc we can put together a good small lineup that should at least be able to compete.

We have somewhat of a connection with that "basketball academy" in spain or somewhere that got us some international guys and we did just take our int'l trip, which I assume we booked through the that "basketball academies" travel agency .. hopefully there is a decent big in the pipe line for us.

This is the year to make some noise imo.

Cerovsky takes the Terps men’s soccer team to another final 4 with a 1-0 defeat of #3 seed Kentucky. After playing an insanely difficult schedule this season, the Terps played well down the stretch, and were rewarded with the #11 seed. They beat both N.C. State, in the first round, and #6 seed Duke in the second round by identical 2-0 score lines. A third straight clean sheet tonight, and the Terps have a shot at their fourth national title.

Go Terps! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes to go in the half and the Terps have 8 TOs and 2 assists. Ugh, watching a Turgeon half court offense is like watching paint dry.

Should play a drinking game where you drink every time the Terps O has one guy dribbling and four guys standing still...you’ll be hammered by halftime!

Edited by Long n Left
  • Haha 1