Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Maybe it's that I don't really understand college recruiting, but why was losing Locksley such a big deal to these recruits? I get that he was good at sweet talking, but in terms of coaching and deciding who gets on the playing field what power did he have? Wouldn't these recruits likely have exactly the same shot as when they committed under Edsell/Locksley?

Frankly, given Edsell's lack of sucess... shouldn't Maryland be more attractive now to Locksley's recruits?

• Like 1

This is Anderson's last chance. When he came in, he talked football. Not hoops. He bombed with Edsall. Came off small time during the Big 10 presser. If this hire doesn't work, he's done.

As far as Locksley. I don't know what he said to kids to get them to commit to the last staff. Doesn't matter. He also can't coach. Maybe keeping him to recruit would have been better. But maybe he wants to coach also. If that's the case, no thanks.

Maybe it's that I don't really understand college recruiting, but why was losing Locksley such a big deal to these recruits? I get that he was good at sweet talking, but in terms of coaching and deciding who gets on the playing field what power did he have? Wouldn't these recruits likely have exactly the same shot as when they committed under Edsell/Locksley?

Frankly, given Edsell's lack of sucess... shouldn't Maryland be more attractive now to Locksley's recruits?

These are kids. Recruiters gain their trust, that is their main connection to a program.

Ohio State has a QB in place for the 2016 season. They have two other 4star QBs they recruited last year and now Haskins. And they will probably pick up another next year. Who knows? One even better as a frosh than Haskins as a soph. I guess it's better to 'maybe' get your season at State than 3-4 at Maryland. Ugh.

• Like 1

Ohio State has a QB in place for the 2016 season. They have two other 4star QBs they recruited last year and now Haskins. And they will probably pick up another next year. Who knows? One even better as a frosh than Haskins as a soph. I guess it's better to 'maybe' get your season at State than 3-4 at Maryland. Ugh.

Was thinking the same thing. No guarantee he plays much there with all the talent. Who knows that QB they recruit this time next year. Some 5 star kid.

• Like 1

Was thinking the same thing. No guarantee he plays much there with all the talent. Who knows that QB they recruit this time next year. Some 5 star kid.

I was thinking the same thing over the weekend. He has no guarantee's at Ohio St. Look at their QB situation last year and this year. There is no way any of those kids would have thought this is how it would have gone. Meyer can recruit one of the top QB's every year. Haskins has to know that. I'm sure every kid thinks they will be the one, and he may turn out to be that one that is better than the kid ahead of him and behind him. But at MD, he's almost a certainty to start right away with that depth. I figured that was the pitch to him all along. I don't blame him for going to a much better football school. I'll never blame a kid for choosing a national football power over MD unless there is something shady about it. But I do wonder what it will be like for him at Ohio St when there is always a QB just as highly rated being brought in every year.

I hope this decision ends well for Dwayne cause apparently he just blew up a lot of friendships.

Current commits and potential recruits are killing him on twitter.

That's unfortunate.

Hopefully whoever is QB for Maryland is good. After this, some kid is going to be really appreciated if he plays well for the Terps.

• Like 2

I have no idea why an QB recruit would still want to play for Urban Meyer? He cannot develop passers for the next level whatsoever. If you're going to leave, at least go to Harbaugh.

I'm sorry Terp fans. You guys don't deserve this and watching this kid go on Twitter and recruit other teams committed players is embarrassing.

• Like 1

OSU would not be the 1st to stack a position in order to keep players away from teams in the conference.  Haskins does not fit the mold of the last 2 OSU QBs, so I would have my concerns.  Who knows, they may intend to try to convert him to WR.

OSU would not be the 1st to stack a position in order to keep players away from teams in the conference.  Haskins does not fit the mold of the last 2 OSU QBs, so I would have my concerns.  Who knows, they may intend to try to convert him to WR.

It's funny you mention that because I read an article in which Meyer expressed how much respect he had for DJ Durkin, both as a coach and as a recruiter.

Obviously, Meyer wanted Haskins/Jones but hurting MD is just an added benefit.

If Haskins becomes a star at OSU that's great and if he's struggles and is recruited over (a real possibilty) that's ok too as far as Meyer is concerned.

Either way, it removes a potential threat from a conference rival.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

It's funny you mention that because I read an article in which Meyer expressed how much respect he had for DJ Durkin, both as a coach and as a recruiter.

Obviously, Meyer wanted Haskins/Jones but hurting MD is just an added benefit.

If Haskins becomes a star at OSU that's great and if he's struggles and is recruited over (a real possibilty) that's ok too as far as Meyer is concerned.

Either way, it removes a potential threat from a conference rival.

There is certainly no downside for Ohio State.  All the downside is for Haskins.  JT Barrett appears to be healthy, meaning he'll be QB for probably the next 2 years.  Haskins will be redshirted, then sit his freshman year meaning he probably won't see the field for 3 seasons.  At which point he would be entering his 3rd year as a starter for the Terps.  I hope he is a patient kid.

News flash, this happens. ...all...the. ..time.

Like someone else said, when you're targeting 4 and 5 star guys, u need to accept this as part of the game. It sucks, but let's stop pretending umd is some sort of victim.

I've had to get used to this myself the past few years with Penn State.  For as much as his game day coaching is questionable, James Franklin is a hell of a recruiter, and in the last two years, I think I read that he pulled in more 4 and 5 star recruits to Penn State than in the last seven years combined under Bill O'Brien and Paterno.

That's incredible, and if it continues, Penn State could be absolutely loaded in 3 years.  Franklin's recruiting classes are ridiculous compared to what Penn State is used to.

But it comes with a downside.  In the last month, Penn State has lost two 4 star commits.  Both reopening their recruitment, nothing definite.  They also lost two assistant coaches, and this wasn't for promotions, it was for lateral moves to other schools.

This never happened under Paterno.  Hell, his assistants were there nearly as long as he was in some cases.  Most of his kids were high three star and low fours, kids who were dying to play for Penn State or who at the very least, Penn State was one of their top offers.  He didn't often compete with Ohio State or Alabama for the same recruits.  Paterno coached so long that the really highly rated kids he pulled in (Stefen Wisniewski, for example) were sons of people who played for him.

So yeah, losing commits and coaches is something I've had to get used to.  I don't like Maryland, that's we'll established, but I was hoping Haskins would stick to his pledge.  I'd like to have a good PSU-UMD regional rivalry.  I'm not exactly angry on Maryland's behalf, but I think this is dirtier only because Haskins spent so much time talking about "The Movement" and encouraging other kids to go to Maryland, only to pull this stunt with three weeks left in the recruiting cycle.

• Like 1

Meyer wastes no time

Big time 2018 QB Phil Jurkovec has added an offer from #OhioState http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Phil-Jurkovec-185018  He's already drawn comparisons to Terrelle Pryor

Jurkovec has the potential to be more successful than any of the QBs on #OhioState's roster or committed to them @MarcGivlerBG

•