Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what if rg3 dosen't return to 2012 form?

bh32

Then 95% of the entire NFL community is asinine. There is article after article comparing the two stitstically. Comparing their records is not reasonable. Andrew Luck had a much better team around him. That miracle finish against KC in the POs was made possible by two things - He threw 3 picks early to put them in a huge hole, then KC lost both starting CBs, their MLB, and their starting RB. And Andrew Luck alone did not beat those other teams. He is not the lone ranger out to say the Colts world! He had a lot of help, like the other 52 on the roster, the coaching staff etc.

For those trashing RGIII (not saying you are trashing him) for last year consider this - we lost 8 of our games by 1 score or less. And 2 of the other games we had a double digit lead that was quickly surrendered by STs or/and Def.

Stats do not lie over time. Over time RGIII matches up very favorably with Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson the 2 he will forever be linked to. But as soon as you point that out with data they (and this is where you come in) say "Well wins are all that matters!" From a team perspective that's correct. But there is only so much one person can do. Could RGIII have played better last year? Absolutely! He would be the first to say so (and has despite that consistently being missed by NFL.com and ESPN and most of the publications hell bent on making him out to be some self centered diva).

But was he the reason we were 3-13? No way. You can hang a few of those losses on the Off, but the majority go to the STs and Def. To hear the so called pundits talk Andrew Luck is the messiah walking and RGIII is the cancer that killed the Redskins. Pure blind idiocy.

People don't think.  If the defense and teams been at least mediocre last season, we probably win 6-7 more games (both Philadelphia games, Detroit, both Dallas games,  Minnesota, one New York) and several of our most embarrassing losses probably would not have been so embarrassing (Green Bay, Denver and KC),  This is without a significant bump on RG3's part and such threads as this, if one existed,  would be about if the defense/teams could maintain, could a 2012 performance by RG3 be enough to make us contenders.  The only thing he didn't have last year that he had in 2012 was the ability to force the team to win against good competition.  Won/Loss is a terrible way to look at a QB's performance except as a tie breaker.

I hate the garbage time stats argument.

If the Chiefs had ended up kicking a last second FG and beating the Colts would all of Luck's playoff comeback plays and stats not have mattered? Most of it would have been in garbage time. Well guess what, garbage time won the damn game.

Same thing week 1 against Philly, if we recover the onside kick who knows. I guess none of those stats would have been garbage time in that case?

It's such a silly argument.

Did I even mention Griffin's name in that post?  Why would you assume I was even talking about him in particular when I was clearly talking about QBs generally? 

Not for nothing, but the thread you posted in is titled exactly what, and he is entering year three? So the assumption was not a stretch there chief. 

I would bring back Rex Grossman personally.  He still has it.

I love good humor in the morning. 

This is the sentiment I fear from fans, media, etc. I've always felt that he was a project and that we'd have to be patient. His ceiling is still sooooo high that the pick was worth it, as of now anyway.

He's going to get a ton of time.

They used 3 years worth of 1st round picks on him, and a second.  You don't do that and just toss it aside.

There is literally no reason to ask nor answer this question now, when all you need to do is wait.  

I think its a closet Kirk Cousins thread, ripe for future mod merges after every loss, INT, or incompletion. 

Some MET ideas, Time for Cousins to Show Something; Cousins, Current Most Overhyped Redskin or as good as Advertised. 

I love those options. 

Griffin possibly not panning out in 2014 like he did in 2012 ?

HOGWASH, Katy bar the door.

Actually, the OP does bring up a very valid topic. Kudos to ya brah !

To some, Griffin is god, can do no wrong, perfection on 2 legs [ eacept for that li'l hiccup called 2013 ].

If thats your thing, hey, knock your socks off, go for it; and yes, there are some who dis-like Griffin. I am not one of those people, despite what some may believe in their mind; I am a realist; as one of my comrades put it, 'the ol' eyeball test' works for me.

I like the guy, but i'm certainly not gonna put all my eggs in one basket, he does have a fair amount to prove.

1. That he is totally healthy, mentally and physically.

2. He is over the penis-swinging contest between him and Mike Shanahan.

3. He can be a traditional drop back QB if the need fits.

4. He has learned that sliding can and will prolong his NFL career.

He's not perfect, and no QB is; every one of them has a flaw of some sort; but its how they can hide it while making a defense look like a fool is what makes them better than the usual group.

The guy has immense talent, no doubt about it, but he has to prove he can utilize his talents week in and week out, because the media whores will be out with pitchforks, and they are relentless.

He is going to get plenty of seasons before we finally part ways should he not live up to expectations.  We have seen his potential to be great and with how much this team has invested in him I expect him to be under center for 3 more seasons guaranteed.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/07/21/rgiii-needed-terry-shea-to-help-him-undo-mechanical-things-i-was-asked-to-change/

The Shanahan’s now out of the picture, Griffin wanted to get back to the basics, and the one guy he knew had his “best interest at heart” all along, is Shea, with whom Griffin says he worked “before some of the mechanical things that I was asked to change.”

“I called Terry because he was the guy that was there with me when I first came out, to get drafted and work on my craft,” Griffin said. “So he was a guy that I knew had my best interest at heart. And he knew what I looked like beforehand, before the injury and before some of the mechanical things that I was asked to change.”

“So I wanted to get back with him to get back to those basics, to get back to what I was doing at Baylor when I came out,”

I didn't make the topic about Rg3 vs Cousins..I was just wondering what everyone thought if somehow Rg3 didn't progress from last year..Would you try and extend Cousins contract to have another QB to fall back on?I know Cousins has his faults,But I don't think I would just let him walk and be stuck with nothing if Rg3 doesn't pan out..

I didn't make the topic about Rg3 vs Cousins..I was just wondering what everyone thought if somehow Rg3 didn't progress from last year..Would you try and extend Cousins contract to have another QB to fall back on?I know Cousins has his faults,But I don't think I would just let him walk and be stuck with nothing if Rg3 doesn't pan out..

Ok, fair enough. Yes I would not trade Cousins, unless as always for a can't pass up offer, say a second. The team is only as good as the depth it has. Players get hurt, QB's hardly ever complete seasons. The Redskins are in a good position, RGIII plays well this year and you can still trade Cousins, he doesn't play well and you don't trade him. 

I think Cousins could be a really good QB...I know some people will say he is nothing but a backup,But lets look what he did when given the opportunity..When Rg3 got hurt in the Ravens game Cousins marched them down the field and and won...Against the Browns he started out bad with the interception and I know iwasn't the only one screaming for Grossman to be put in,But cousins settled down and destroyed that Browns defense...I think last year his struggles were by him pressing to much,because he wanted to be a starter and he knew the only way he would be a starter would to be traded..

There is no excuse for RG III to not having an awesome year. He has the best receiving group in the league and a solid running game. Plus Robert has a head coach that was selected with him in mind. 

If he fails this year, then the future of the Redskins QB position is in doubt. 

well that was the understatement of the year. As I said if he stays healthy he is going to have one heck of a year. But the questions is "WHAT IF HE DOESN'T?". and if he has a poor year and the Skins didn't make the playoffs then Obviously the situation is cloudy but Kirk would still be here so naturally Gruden would throw them into an open competition in year number 4.

The question or scenario that has not been brought up is: What would happen if Griffin gets injured early on and Kirk comes in and leads the Skins to the playoffs? Whoa. What then. Does Captain Kirk get the starting nod in 2015 or does he at least get an open competition against someone who cannot stay healthy? Whoa. What happens?

Of course as long as Griffin stays healthy everything should be fine. But the bigger IF to me is what happens if he gets injured and then good things happen with Cousins? Whoa! That would upset the apple cart!!!!!

I hate the garbage time stats argument.

If the Chiefs had ended up kicking a last second FG and beating the Colts would all of Luck's playoff comeback plays and stats not have mattered? Most of it would have been in garbage time. Well guess what, garbage time won the damn game.

Same thing week 1 against Philly, if we recover the onside kick who knows. I guess none of those stats would have been garbage time in that case?

It's such a silly argument.

KC had a meltdown similar to Redskins fashion. Missed WIDE OPEN TD pass by KC QB (Name isn't worth mentioning) Would have ended the come Back. Instead he misses the TD throw and then turns the ball over later. The guy was left wide open in blown coverage and he over threw him? WTF Now we are stuck with all the Luck worshipers. 

Alright, I'll play your game you rouge.

I think the team would definitely try and resign Cousins, but I don't think they'd be comfortable without another option, and because of that I don't think Cousins would come back.

I think that if Griffin doesn't turn out, we're back to square one and looking for a veteran or a rookie to fill our lifelong desperate need for a QB.

I think it's unfair to expect him or any qb to consistently play at the level he did in 2012, however.... That doesn't mean he won't progress and get better, even if his stats don't match that of his rookie year. I would take an injury free, successful year with him throwing for 3500 yards and 25tds(29 total) with 12-13 ints(4 rushing Tds)

They may not be the % and numbers of his rookie year, but that doesn't mean he's regressed. if he can be good consistently, that's good enough for me.

Of course you hope your qb goes out an breaks/shatters records every year, but even if they don't, that doesn't mean that qb is regressing or losing it. It's close to impossible to keep raising the bar year after year, especially single season stats(the bar being records) and there's going to be times where you fall short. Especially at the qb position. The key is to play consistently good in between those great seasons.

Alfred Morris had a better year his rookie year than he did last year, but no one is worried about him. That's because he still did really good, especially considering circumstances but you can't always top your "best" season every season. If that makes any sense lol

I would feel a lot better if 4 out of 5 of last years OL wasn't returning this season. Even if Forester would have been let go maybe there would be hope that the OL will be better this year with a different coach but it's hard to feel good about the line when pretty much everybody is coming back. Not to be a homer but Russ Grimm is unemployed and has done a good job with Wasington and Pittsburgh OL in the past. I'm just glad Robert's knee brace is off this year because he will probably be on the run again like his rookie year. 

I would feel a lot better if 4 out of 5 of last years OL wasn't returning this season. Even if Forester would have been let go maybe there would be hope that the OL will be better this year with a different coach but it's hard to feel good about the line when pretty much everybody is coming back. Not to be a homer but Russ Grimm is unemployed and has done a good job with Wasington and Pittsburgh OL in the past. I'm just glad Robert's knee brace is off this year because he will probably be on the run again like his rookie year. 

I would look at the OL like the Defense, if not vastly improved through game four changes would occur not later but game five. 

Griffin possibly not panning out in 2014 like he did in 2012 ?

HOGWASH, Katy bar the door.

Actually, the OP does bring up a very valid topic. Kudos to ya brah !

To some, Griffin is god, can do no wrong, perfection on 2 legs [ eacept for that li'l hiccup called 2013 ].

If thats your thing, hey, knock your socks off, go for it; and yes, there are some who dis-like Griffin. I am not one of those people, despite what some may believe in their mind; I am a realist; as one of my comrades put it, 'the ol' eyeball test' works for me.

I like the guy, but i'm certainly not gonna put all my eggs in one basket, he does have a fair amount to prove.

1. That he is totally healthy, mentally and physically.

2. He is over the penis-swinging contest between him and Mike Shanahan.

3. He can be a traditional drop back QB if the need fits.

4. He has learned that sliding can and will prolong his NFL career.

He's not perfect, and no QB is; every one of them has a flaw of some sort; but its how they can hide it while making a defense look like a fool is what makes them better than the usual group.

The guy has immense talent, no doubt about it, but he has to prove he can utilize his talents week in and week out, because the media whores will be out with pitchforks, and they are relentless.

I agree.  Good topic posted by OP.  And I largely agree with your thoughts.

I'll only add this.  I'm not demanding the playoffs this year to prove RG3's value, but he must show significant progress over 2013.  I'm not putting a number on what significant progress is but reasonable people will know it when they see it.

He needs to improve at reading defenses.  He needs to stay healthy.  He needs to be the leader on the field.  Etc.

From my standpoint, his margin for error drops this year.

1.  It's his 3rd year

2.  He's a full year removed from ACL surgery.

3.  He has one of the best receiving corps in the league and a stud RB.

So I don't want to hear more excuses from fans.  I want to see significant improvement from him.

He doesn't get "many" years to prove his worth.  He gets his rookie contract.  That's it.  If it's obvious he's not the answer by then, cut bait, admit it was a mistake, and move on.

That said, I hope we never get to that point with him and he flourishes as the Skins QB for many years.

In Cinncy Grudens passing game was based on getting the ball out fast. He took shots as well but the foundation of the pass game was getting the ball out of the QBs hands quickly. That will help paper over any cracks in pass protection.

I think that the team is going to look at this as the first year for Griffin. I would be shocked if he didn't get 2 more years at a minimum as the definitive starter. They committed 3 years worth of 1st round picks in the guy, they're going to give him every opportunity to succeed.

I actually think he's going to be wicked dangerous this year, and it's going to put all of these thoughts to rest.

BUT if he's average (and I don't see him being anything below average) then next year he'll have another shot. And that will be 4 full seasons. If it still hasn't clicked, they might start investigating options.

As far as Cousins goes, I think he's on the team in 2015 regardless. His stock probably won't change much this year. At least, hopefully it doesn't. So, I think the ability to flip him for a high pick is probably not going to happen. And he's more valuable to the 'Skins on the roster than as a 4th round pick.

But I really believe that Robert's got 2 more years to figure it out. I don't think it will take that long. But it won't be until 2016 that they will even start to think about a new QB.

Archived