Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what if rg3 dosen't return to 2012 form?

bh32

what if rg3 doesn't return to his 2012 form? Should they give kirk cousins a contract extension this year or look at drafting another QB? I would hate to see cousins go to another team and be stuck with nothing at QB if rg3 dosent pan out..

Griffin doesn't have to return to his 2012 running ability to be successful. It would be nice but it's just a bonus and not necessary to be a great QB or make us an eventual contender.

The guy has amazing arm talent and as long as he still has that and keeps working to improve the mental aspect of his game, he will be fine, even if he isn't entirely the weapon he once was.

Honestly, I don't think drafting another QB is an option for a while if RG3 doesn't work out. But, I would hope that this coaching staff will be smart enough to recognize when something is not going the way that it should & put their players in a position to succeed, ie. RG3 doesn't perform up to expectations, so they put Cousins in. If thay doesn't work, put sexy Rexy in.

But honestly, I don't see this as being an issue. RG3 is a smart guy & a remarkable athlete. I would expect to see him perform up to the expectations we all have for him. He's not going to be perfect, but I think the experience he has from last season & the disappointment of how everything went will drive him to perform better than he ever has in his life. At least, that's my hope.

well I have to assume the real question here is and should be titled 'What if RG3 doesn't work out after all". Isn't that what you really mean? Doesn't matter if it is because he gets injured again or if he just makes bad decisions or whatever. He can't win.

Based on that premise....I would say the Kirk Cousins will not get traded next off season and Captain Kirk will get a shot to compete for the starting job. Robert has to get the Skins to the playoffs in 2014 or there will not be a new contract coming and in fact at that point the Skins and our new coach have to make a decision about the future QB of the Redskins. You would have 2 QB's going into their 4th year and one of them would not be there for year number 5.

Now...with all that said I think Griffin is going to take the Skins to the playoffs if he remains healthy and have one heck of a year. BUT.....YOU DID ASK WHAT IF.

I will be shocked and disapointed if he doesn't return to form. He has been putting in so much hard work this off-season and adding Jackson & Roberts along with Reed starting his second year I am really counting on a monster year from our franchise QB.

If Griffin doesn't work out then we will be back to our carousel QB days.  Kirk would not get an extension as he is not Gruden's guy and most likely would be a stop gap until we found his and Griffin's replacement.  Then after about two years Gruden gets fired because the next QB doesn't have time to develop and finally we start over with another coach and QB.  Each Redskins fan should know how this story goes by now.

So far I think we have the quarterback to stop this cycle.

Too broad a question and it's an irrelevant one really.  What if he doesn't return to 2012 form but we win one or two Super Bowls while he's the quarterback in Washington?  This franchise is riding or dying with Griffin for probably the next 3 years minimum so grab a comfortable chair.  

The real question is, Will the Redskins FO build a team around guys like Robert, DeSean, Morris, Reed, Kerrigan, Garçon, and Trent?  I believe the answer is yes they will.  They've already started.  

what if rg3 doesn't return to his 2012 form?

It depends on what you mean by 'return to form'. But if Rob plays poorly they will still ride with him until he no longer gives them the best chance to win. But like any 1st round QB Griffin will be given a LOT of wiggle room before they would bench him.

BUT IF Rob plays that poorly that they need to replace him the team might even move to Colt until Griff straightens himself out. I dont think Kirk sees the field unless Griff is out for a long time.

Should they give kirk cousins a contract extension this year or look at drafting another QB?

Kirk is a back-up QB and as such will be just as affordable at the end of the year as during the year.

Imo every team should draft a QB to groom somewhere in every draft.

But I wouldn't worry about this question.

I think Griffin will have his best year.

But if Griffin doesn't play well this year next year I think the regime will want a QB with more experience that can challenge Griffin and allow the team to be competitive right away.

Patience grasshopper. If he doesn't return to form we need to work with him and get him there. Lots of elite QBs started out with some rough years and losing records. Would you want to throw in the towel so quickly? if so, you'll probably never get to see a home grown QB develop.

Now, that said do you want to wait as St Louis or Detroit? Maybe not, but for is especially since RGIII has already demonstrated greatness in one prolonged stretch the question comes both too soon and too early.

It still amazes me how so many Redskins fans still look at Kirk Cousins, with his 68.6 career passer rating, as the possible answer.  They  need to give RGIII several more years before making any decsions on him. That is the guy you don't want to let go of as he has a much better chance of playing great for another team than Kirk Cousins does.

There is literally no reason to ask nor answer this question now, when all you need to do is wait.  

I think its a closet Kirk Cousins thread, ripe for future mod merges after every loss, INT, or incompletion. 

Some MET ideas, Time for Cousins to Show Something; Cousins, Current Most Overhyped Redskin or as good as Advertised. 

This is not a make or break year for RGIII.  A 24 year old QB who is entering his third year should not be in danger of being written off that quickly.  Even his "horrendous" sophomore season coming off the injury was not that much of a disaster.  16 td's and 12 picks--could've been a lot worse (read: Eli) and I think we need to settle down a little bit with this sense of urgency for elite production.  Maybe it comes this year, maybe not.  But with as much invested in the kid as we have, and the fact that franchise qb's typically take a little time to develop, this "playoffs in 2014 or else" mentality that is gaining momentum needs to slow down IMO. 

Seems to be a pretty silly question as almost ALL teams can point to a key player or three and worry about that happening In the near term?  Our defense is at best mediocre so the philosophy of a good defense with an offense that just avoids errors and pulls out the big play now and then which is the best we can expect from an offense run by Kirk Cousins won't work.  In the long term?  2012 was pretty awesome and I don't think we can hold such a performance as a norm.  You can only figure out a new strategy.  What you also need to remember is that a lot of our problems last season did not directly come from RG3 having a down year.  We had one of the worst ST in the NFL.  Several of our losses would have been wins or at least we'd have been in striking distance at the end.  Our defense was awful. While it would be nice to have RG3 return to 2012 form, the ST and defense need to be at least mediocre enough to keep the pressure of RG3. 

A good question. Always good to have a Plan B. I love RG3. Hope he brings hope multiple rings. But hope is not a plan.

I don't think we've seen what Kirk can do fully. But I from limited time he has seen on the field, he has a way to go still before we can comfortably  call him a starting QB.

Plan B: The pieces on offense are geared for a mobile QB that does the play action really well and has a good deep ball.  We'll need try draft a QB like a Russell Wilson or RG3 that has those key skills. Feel we should have done that this year via lower rounds (for our #3 spot instead of Colt).

Plan C: If no good QBs fitting that description are available, we'll need to tread water for a year with RG3 (playing out his final year w/out a contract) or Kirk while we wait another year to find in draft or free agency.

Blowing up the scheme, coach, and going to a non-mobile QB like Kirk is too big a switch given current investments.

A good question. Always good to have a Plan B. I love RG3. Hope he brings hope multiple rings. But hope is not a plan.

RGIII "hope" is not a plan?  Seriously?  The NFL rookie of the year for 2012? Amazing weapons now?  For whatever reason, this post just pissed me off.  Sorry.  Whatever.  Keep wishing for Kirk (I don't-talk about mediocrity) and.....nevermind.  RGIII is going to to be a VERY good football player this year. End of rant.  HTTR 

Personally I hope Robert is BETTER this season than his '12 form.  Smarter, better able to protect the ball, diagnose defenses and call audibles at the line, smarter decisions when scrambling/running with the ball...etc.  

And...there is no way that this franchise gives up on Robert regardless of how he performs this season....unless there is some type of career ending event.  This is his first season under Gruden....and Robert is under contract for another couple of seasons.  He was our second pick, and we traded several #1 rounders for him....no way Gruden and the FO make this season THE definitive season in the Redskin career of #10. 

And....for the poster who said that Cousins would not play because he was not Gruden's QB....neither is Robert for that matter.  Cousins would certainly see playing time prior to McCoy, IMHO.....if it came to who would play behind Robert. 

We have a QB in Robert who puts in the time and work to be successful.  He has worked this offseason with a QB coach who he worked with prior to the '12 season.  He has worked with the receivers outside of the camp environment.  Gruden and McVay both have commented on the work ethic that Robert displays.........and we all know his playmaking abilities.  His Baylor HC even commented (as far back as last season) that it was the second season before Robert returned to his normal form. 

Combine this with better receivers that can actually get seperation ..... and some improvements on the Oline....I really see no reason why this will not translate into a successful '14 season for Robert. 

This sounds like a "is Kirk our answer," thread, but I'm not worried about Kirk being the answer.  I think the belief that Griffin needs to return to 2012 form is missing the fact that we've added skill players and improved every position on offense (other than possibly OL) since that time and that we have more support for him than he's ever had.

I don't think he needs to return to the scrambling machine he was in 2012 for the team to be successful.  With Reed, D Jackson, Roberts, and hopefully some of our younger OL stepping up, he should be able to just be improved with ability to extend some plays for us to be a much improved team (especially since it appears ST is going to be tremendously better, and the pass rush should come up a few notches).

That's kind of the point this year, the pressure is not ALL on Griffin.  We have some amazing tools for him, what he needs to do is stop trying to repeat 2012, and instead learn to use all these weapons.

This is clearly a closet Cousins thread. There will be a new one with every RGIII Int/in-completion/fumble, followed with an I Love You RGIII thread for every TD or big play he makes. Cousins right now is a back-up. When the season starts it will either him or McCoy. After that, we will deal with if the time common

As for RGIII, I hope he does not return to 2012 form. That was an offense designed to win right then without him developing for a long term career in the NFL. He played with reckless abandon and constantly put himself needlessly in harms way. It was exciting and fun to watch until he got hurt.

What he needs to do, and I have every belief he can do, is take the best parts of 2012, add it to what he learned during the 2013 disappointing run (only in terms of what he could do better), add that to what Gruden is teaching him now and will be teaching him during TC, and come out a solid all around NFL starting QB who can play how he needs to play to win. He clearly has the physical skills. He has shown he has the smarts. Despite the idiotic media portraying him as not working hard, he is one of the hardest working players on the team. He just needs to put into practice what he learns. If he can, (and there is zero reason to think he can't), the Skins will become all the opposing DCs worst nightmare.

Archived