Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**The great battle for 2nd-3rd string RB**

End2round2sanders

Helu, Seastrunk, Royster, Thompson, Redd:

Pick your man crush combination for 2nd and 3rd stringer, maybe even 4th stringer. I like Helu and Thompson because they are two different types of players. I've always had the man crush on Thompson just because of his speed and pass catching ability but his faults with pass protection and staying healthy we all know about and are red flags, and while he showed moments as a PR/KR in the preseason it didn't translate to the regular season. Helu is the vet and we know what he can do when healthy.

Royster I don't see him making the roster unless he's a huge asset at special teams then I have no problem keeping him.  Seastrunk is young as well and many like his ball skills but I've heard has a ton of growing and learning to do from the pass protection side, and pass catching standpoint to even considered for a roster spot but practice squad seems to be a possibility. Redd seems a camp body unless he shines in ST in the preseason so who knows.

Talk about what you want to see from these 5, who excites you, who needs to prove something, what combination best compliments Fred-Mo.

HANDS DOWN, my man crush is Lache Seastrunk....not even just at the RB position. I didnt follow him at Baylor, but its hard not to watch his highlight videos and not get excited. I know videos arent everything, but man, I want him to take Helus spot. Kind of disappointed I havent heard too much about him in camp so far. Its still early though. 

I think Helu and Seastrunk are Morris's backups. If they keep a number 4 I hope it is Royster because he has shown in the past that he is capable of putting up 100+ yard games when Morris goes down. I just don't have confidence in Thompson staying healthy to make the team, plus he was drafted by Shanahan and Seastrunk by the new regime so he already has one strike againt him. If Royster is cut I think he will be the type of player that bounces around and stays in the NFL for eight to ten years.

Assuming everyone is healthy and stays that way, I think Helu is the #2 back.  I guess Thompson will be #3 and Seastrunk goes to the practice squad.  Is Thompson still eligible for the practice squad? 

Then, if someone tries to claim Seastrunk, we will move him up (if we like him.)  If Thompson is eligible, he could be the practice squad player. 

I know Helu has had durability issues, but I think of Redd and Thompson Helu is the only one with the size to attempt to be an every down back if something happened to AlMo. Royster cold do it but he's never been very impressive.

Morris, Seastrunk then Helu.. Ive been watching Seastrunk since he was a sophomore in high school and I don't think he was completely over his hamstring injury when he posted that 4.5 40  at the combine. We were lucky to get him when we did. I remember something in the local paper where he posted a 4.41 or 4.43 (cant remember which) at age 15.

Morris, Seastrunk then Helu.. Ive been watching Seastrunk since he was a sophomore in high school and I don't think he was completely over his hamstring injury when he posted that 4.5 40  at the combine. We were lucky to get him when we did. I remember something in the local paper where he posted a 4.41 or 4.43 (cant remember which) at age 15.

That's great that he could be faster than expected, but word is he can't pass block to save his life and he hasn't proven to be a receiver out of the backfield. When you have Morris, and Helu who can do both skills I hope Seastrunk brings something to the table none of our current RB's can do cause that's not a pretty resume.

I'm looking at Seastrunk fans like those Bacarri Rambo fans last season. Everyone loved that we got him in the 6th but few questioned why he slid and we saw it first hand early in 2013 and who knows if he'll make the roster this season.

Helu is much better than a lot of people around here give him credit for.  He's my number 2 guy no question.

Seastrunk wins #3 by default because:

1.) Royster is the most "blehhhh" RB we've had in a long time.  In my opinion, he's less-than-adequate in all areas: vision, speed, blocking, catching, and short-yardage situations.

2.) Chris Thompson is a guy that I don't think will ever get it together.  Gruden likes RBs who can catch out of the backfield, but I just have a weird feeling that Thompson will be cut and out of the league before the season starts.

3.) Don't know anything about Redd but it's encouraging someone above said he's playing well.

That's great that he could be faster than expected, but word is he can't pass block to save his life.....

I think if it's anything that will keep him off the field, it would be his lack of pass blocking skills. At least initially. He's young, and hopefully he can improve in that area, sooner then later.

But if that dude can put together a couple of strong preseason games where he breaks some big explosive runs, he will definitely make the squad. Based on his physical talents shown on his highlight videos, there's NO ONE at the RB position who can do what he can do. Chris Thompson included.  Thompson definitely has the super speed, but Seastrunk sheds tackles and has better vision.

I cant wait til preseason, I will DEFINITELY be focusing RB competition. Praying Seastrunk will have a great showing.....

Let me say this once and for all.  **** Silas Redd.  I won't wish a devastating injury on the guy, but I hope he is cut, has no career, and has to do something else with his life.

It's well known I'm a Penn State fan.  It's also well known that I was disgusted with the NCAA for the way the recent scandal was handled, some of the penalties which punished the players on the current team rather then the school at large.  I'm not going to get into it here or start a threadjack argument about it, but I very much disagreed.  One of them was the open transfer rule, that any player on Penn State could go anywhere they wanted without having to sit out a year, basically giving every other coach an open season on the roster.

Well, most of the kids, especially the stars/starters behaved with honor and didn't abandon ship and their teammates.  There were 15 transfers total, most of them backups who didn't have much of a chance of cracking the two-deep.  Only three major players left.  One was the kicker,Anthony Fera, and he transferred to Texas to be closer to his mother who had been diagnosed with cancer.  Totally understandable, and I wish him well.  The second was Justin Brown, our #1 (projected) receiver who left for Oklahoma.  I didn't like that, but I can almost understand it in some ways.  Penn State was notoriously a run first-run second team, Brown had just 75 catches over the past two seasons, and Oklahoma threw a lot more.  Brown had a good senior season and got drafted well.  I have no harsh feelings towards him but also don't give a fig if he has any success.

Silas Redd though...he was second team all Big 10, had just run for 1,250 yards, and was poised to be a star.  He made it clear that he had no loyalty and went running to Lane Kiffin's (of all people) arms out at USC.  Left a gaping hole in the depth chart, gave up what you would presume would be the inside track on one or two all big ten seasons and a chance to play for Bill O'Brien.

So he has to split time, play for Lane Kiffin, and still manages to do okay, 900 yards and 10 total TD's.  Then for injuries and whatever other reason, gets less than 400 and a single TD his senior year.  I don't know exactly what happened because I didn't want to bother reading about him, I had to look up the stats just now.  And you know what, **** him, he's the biggest turncoat of them all.  At least Fera and Brown had the courtesy to agonize over the decision, and give great reasons (in Fera's case) and understandable ones (in Brown's case) while maintaining that they'd always bleed blue and white inside.  Redd went tittering and tap-dancing away like a 12 year old girl at a One Direction concert and never looked back.  I'm glad his college career flamed out, and I was disgusted that we picked him up as a UDFA.  I wish him zero success.

Okay, my threadjack rant is over.  None of our runners except Royster is anything close to a Morris clone, and Royster isn't that talented.  I'd keep Helu and one of Thompson/Seastrunk, and stick the other guy on the practice squad if you can get him there.

Oh, and **** Silas Redd.  Did I mention that already?

You need to stop holding stuff in and if you don't like someone let it out!!  ;)

And if he makes the team you're gonna look AWESOME in the Redd jersey I get you!

I always said I'd but the jersey of any Penn State player who made contributions to the Skins, but they don't make a whole lot of Royster jerseys and he may not be on the team this season.  Chris Baker doesn't count since he got kicked off the team and graduated from somewhere else.

I will not wear a Redd jersey even if he miracles his ass into being a pro bowler.  I can not be objective about this.

Royster is literally the definition of JAG(just a guy). He'll be cut. Gruden wants RBs with speed who can catch. Helu is okay but I think Seastruck will be everything Helu was supposed to be and more. And I wouldn't totally sleep on Thompson.

I always said I'd but the jersey of any Penn State player who made contributions to the Skins, but they don't make a whole lot of Royster jerseys and he may not be on the team this season.  Chris Baker doesn't count since he got kicked off the team and graduated from somewhere else.

I will not wear a Redd jersey even if he miracles his ass into being a pro bowler.  I can not be objective about this.

So wait a minute, you're mad at a kid who wanted the chance to play in bowl games?

So wait a minute, you're mad at a kid who wanted the chance to play in bowl games?

I think he's mad because Redd wanted to get as far away as possible from Penn State. Seems like a good decision to me. At the very least, I'd never condemn someone for wanting to leave an organization that values football over common decency.

I'm not really sure why it matters that he left. I can see why you are upset, but from an outsiders perspective, I really don't see the big deal. He was allowed to leave, and he made his decision. Unless he talked **** or something on his way out, I think your anger/frustration is misplaced.

If I were in your situation, my beef would be more with the school/previous staff, rather than a player that wanted to get away from all that.

I think the biggest question for me is, are they keeping Young?  

It's either a great sign for him that he's the ONLY FB on the roster, or it's a really bad sign for him.

As for the rest of the RB corp, I'm not ready to pick yet.  

Thompson - has to show something because he didn't seem that quick last season (possibly due to injury) and he needs to show he can stay healthy.

Redd - don't know anything about him

Seastrunk - needs to show he can be a receiver and block

Royster - it's been a while since he showed anything.  He needs to show that there's a reason to keep him.  Can he be a workhorse?

I think the only 2 that are a lock for the roster (IMO) are Morris and Helu, because Morris is Morris and Helu can block, receive, and run, though he seems better as a receiver and 3rd down guy.  

We'll see about the rest of these guys.

Archived