Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Russell Wilson files for divorce

Divorce lawyers always see through this, unless there is something I do not understand and full admission I am not a lawyer. In cases where one spouse makes a lot more money then the other one it's been known that attorneys will go after future earnings for the other partner in damages. Bolded part has me believing there is something to this that I don't know and you do so could you please enlighten me as to why he is safe from that? Honestly not that I care, I went through a divorce myself after 12 years of marriage and know there are good reasons for divorce sometimes and it's his business

Hey, I don't claim to be an attorney in the state of WA.  Some states are turning away from the default spousal support model, don't know if WA is one of them.  Some states seem stuck, in spite of progressive politics (or because of it, since feminist law/social groups fight to maintain gender-based inequities in family law) in a 19th century paradigm.  BUT even in those states, the spouse has to put in 10 years before lifetime alimony kicks in.  In that case I have heard of some people who went broke after getting spousal support for a number of years, then went back for more, even though it was in violation.  Like much of our legal system, it depends on the whims of some moronic judge, as well as really bad laws which act to siphon resources from (let's be honest, mainly men) spouses to the indigent or lower-earning spouse.  I'd imagine that whatever resources she could go after would still be limited at least in proportion.  Future earnings of a normal salaryman might be one thing, but the ups and downs and limited athletic career of a football player seem less likely to sway a judge.

But it seems a competent lawyer (which Russ can afford) can head off those types of challenges, especially since the marriage was two years and even the relationship was less than ten AND there are no children.  I have to ask myself, what is the point of getting married if the current prevailing law is no-fault and sides with this bizarre notion that because someone becomes "accustomed" to a certain lifestyle that they have married into it forever? Why does the other spouse not get resources in the form of cooking, home-making, psych. and physical companionship but at a reduced rate if this is somehow just?  Again, in a bygone era it may have been the right thing to do (it was also in place to act as a countervailing force against marriage breakups.)

Yeah I've told people in the past that guy is going to be an excellent politician after he's out of the NFL.

I like his game and respect what he does, but I'm not oblivious to the fact that every aspect of this guy's personality is 100% calculated and image completely manfactured.

The guys that go out of their way to publicly say they are a religious person over and over are usually the one's with dirty secrets. Russell's twitter feed is like reading the bible.

Cam is a pretty religious guy, too. But I can't recall one single time he's talked publicly about religion. Ever.

This news is nothing more than another chance to laugh at NC State as far as I'm concerned. They retired his freaking jersey last week. They retired the jersey of a guy who was average at best and never won anything with them, then transferred to play and graduate at a different school. Their athletics are so crappy they're desperate to attach themselves to him since the SB.

The guys that go out of their way to publicly say they are a religious person over and over are usually the one's with dirty secrets. Russell's twitter feed is like reading the bible.

Cam is a pretty religious guy, too. But I can't recall one single time he's talked publicly about religion. Ever.

This news is nothing more than another chance to laugh at NC State as far as I'm concerned. They retired his freaking jersey last week. They retired the jersey of a guy who was average at best and never won anything with them, then transferred to play and graduate at a different school. Their athletics are so crappy they're desperate to attach themselves to him since the SB.

Did you seriously just state that Wilson was "average" at NC State? Come on, man! You can't be serious.

Did you seriously just state that Wilson was "average" at NC State? Come on, man! You can't be serious.

20-18 record at NC State

11-3 record at Wisconsin

JR yr NC State- 58% cmp, 28 Td, 14 Int

SR yr Wisconsin- 73% cmp, 33 Td, 4 Int

Wilson wasn't that great at NCSU. They retired his number because of what he did at Wisconsin and in the NFL.

20-18 record at NC State

11-3 record at Wisconsin

Wilson wasn't that great at NCSU. They retired his number because of what he did at Wisconsin and in the NFL.

You can't really look at records. Not like he was surrounded by a lot of talent at State vs Wisconsin. I'm not saying he was great, but definitely better than average.

The only reason he wasn't drafted in first couple of rounds is his height.

Also, aren't you a UNC fan? And didn't Wilson go undefeated vs UNC, or am I remembering wrong. If so, that might explain some of the negative comments about Wilson.

You can't really look at records. Not like he was surrounded by a lot of talent at State. I'm not saying he was great, but definitely better than average.

The only reason he wasn't drafted in first couple of rounds is his height.

Also, aren't you a UNC fan? And didn't Wilson go undefeated vs UNC, or am I remembering wrong. If so, that might explain some of the negative comments about Wilson.

No, I don't pull for any of the ACC schools like 99% of people around here do. I graduated from UNC Charlotte. I find college athletics boring.

I stand by my statements, though. Wilson's jersey being retired by State is hilarious and a joke. "Better than average" doesn't get your jersey retired.

20-18 record at NC State

11-3 record at Wisconsin

if you did not watch him at NC State, then you should not make definitive statements like this. Russell Wilson was great at NC State, despite not playing with a lot of talent.

Sometimes things just don't work out and it's better to cut your losses. Russell is and probably already has been having fun with other ladies and while I'm completely against infidelity I'm also completely against young sports stars getting married early. Might as well have some fun if you're in that situation lol.

Just heard about this.

So Seattle cheats not just on PEDs but also with teammates' wives.  Wow.

I hope this works out as best as it can for Wilson and his wife, but man, could you imagine what this would be like if it happened to RGIII?  We'd never hear the end of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny enough, I just talked to a guy that is in Seattle. He's high up in his company to the point I would believe he knows a lot of the players on the seahawks. He told me tate banged Aston in the teams club house.

Word? If true, that is really low on Tate and Ashton's part.

Wouldn't surprise me if Russ was just as low.

In other news, I think there is something seriously wrong with Golden Tate anyway...... Like neurologically. Dudes never seemed quite right to me. Wouldn't put that rumor past him.

Archived