Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook hates: March Madness

Westbrook36

I'm not sure if it's the best time of the year for sports for me...IMO, that's right when football is getting started and the baseball playoff races are heating up, so late summer/early fall.  

But March Madness is right up there...those first days of watching non-stop basketball is really fun.  It doesn't matter if you don't know the differences between the 12th and 13th seeds or can't name any of the players...so what?  

It seems like more of the general public "loves" this more than even the World Series or other major championships.

There is one reason and one reason alone. The stupid office pool which everyone from sports freaks to teen aged girls fill out thinking they know enough about all 64 teams in the tourney to make informed decisions.

We just finished with the HUGE INTRIGUE for "Selection Sunday" as they'll have a few cams on some teams "on the bubble" and the reactions of joy and/or sorrow. Every year it's the same and every year America falls for this fake drama.

Without the little number next to a team's name, 90 percent of you dolts would have no idea who to pick or who the better team was; you'd do better flipping a coin.  You can't name one player off of at least half the teams yet you will fill out a bracket and talk about it and annoy the **** out of me.  None of you watch college basketball, save for perhaps some big games at the end of the year.  You don't know the players, you don't know the teams.  You know what the highlights and the selected narrative tell you.

I always talk to people who have filled out a pool and ask them who is their "sleeper" this year. 90 percent of the people always say Gonzaga. Try this yourself this year and see how right I am. Gonzaga is full of scrappy white kids so they fall into the perfect choice as a "sleeper" even though they have been great for about 10 years straight and everyone knows about them.

I won't watch one minute of college basketball this year, just like every other year, because I could care less. If it weren't for office pools, NCAA Basketball wouldn't even be televised.  Congrats, you and the soccer Moms are both watching Jim Nance today on Sportscenter to see who the BRACKET BUSTERS are.  Maybe if you are lucky, they will have the boys on Cold Pizza or Around the Horn fill out a bracket on the air with their upset specials.  Idiots.

You should really think about taking up drinking.

Another thing I hate about the tourney is when you ask someone who some of their upsets are and they precede to tell you they picked some 9 seed over and 8. Thats not an upset, you idiot. Probably half of the 9 seeds each year are actually favored to win. Even a lot of 10 seeds beating 7s. Those aren't really upsets either.

Cold pizza lol. I actually thought you were joking. Had no idea there were people out there that thought that show was still around.

I love sports but have never really gotten into college basketball.  I fill out brackets but don't really talk about it much.  It isn't easy when you went to Longwood University, who has only been D-1 for less than a decade and not that competitive in their one-bid conference, and are a big fan of Penn State, who is a perpetual doormat in the Big-10 basketball wise.

Some of my memories over the years include picking Purdue to win it all one year because I liked the nickname "Big Dog."  Picking UNC one year in high school (maybe 1996) because the guy sitting next to me was a giant UNC fan and wouldn't shut up about Ed Cota or the rest of that team.  Correctly picking Penn State over UNC for the Sweet 16 in the early 2000's, a major upset at the time that I picked in the face of any reasonable argument, which happened to come true.  Then pretending like I was some guru for a few days.

The last time watching the tournament was any fun for me was the George Mason run several years ago.

I hate these teams that are the Dallas Cowboys of the NCAA's getting massive love and hype from the media when they haven't even played a game. Example #1 in question is one Michigan State university. 

The media keeps pumping up MSU but this was a MSU team, when healthy, lost to Michigan at Crisler, Georgetown at MSG, and Illinois at the Breslin Center. 

"If MSU is healthy, they are a championship team." 

Well, MSU was healthy and lost to the 3 mentioned above. Even MSU fan here has admitted that the excuses were less on "injury" and more on the team not shooting well. So what makes so many in the media believe that MSU is going to win the championship? On paper, they are a good team. But they are too inconsistent.

As is the custom every year, I haven't even finished or looked at most of my bracket. Will finish around Thursday.

Also, it should be noted a healthy MSU team with no injuries whatsoever lost to North Carolina

MSU is not deserving of hype yet Izzo and his "senior laden squad" get a pass and are automatically through to the Final Four without a game being played

I warn you not to pay attention to MSU, their play was too inconsistent (even when healthy) and I seriously doubt this team will make the Final Four. They simply are not that good.

Duke lost!  Bracket Busters galore!  What Sleepers are going to continue their Cinderella Story to the Sweet 16!?!!?

Same fake drama every year.  Rinse and repeat.

If this thread was entitled "Westbrook hates Dic Vitale" you would have gotten my vote, sir.

The thing I like about it is when a NoDakState or a Dayton or Mercer can knock off a "top team". Basketball can have an upset easier than any other sport. I really think that the David vs Goliath concept is the big draw. So other than the Wyoming Cowboys this is the only college BB I watch. And I never fill out a sheet. I think the college bowl season is worse.

Duke lost!  Bracket Busters galore!  What Sleepers are going to continue their Cinderella Story to the Sweet 16!?!!?

Same fake drama every year.  Rinse and repeat.

But why do you hate George Washington dunking on that heathen Kim Jong Il

It seems like more of the general public "loves" this more than even the World Series or other major championships.

There is one reason and one reason alone. The stupid office pool which everyone from sports freaks to teen aged girls fill out thinking they know enough about all 64 teams in the tourney to make informed decisions.

We just finished with the HUGE INTRIGUE for "Selection Sunday" as they'll have a few cams on some teams "on the bubble" and the reactions of joy and/or sorrow. Every year it's the same and every year America falls for this fake drama.

Without the little number next to a team's name, 90 percent of you dolts would have no idea who to pick or who the better team was; you'd do better flipping a coin. You can't name one player off of at least half the teams yet you will fill out a bracket and talk about it and annoy the **** out of me. None of you watch college basketball, save for perhaps some big games at the end of the year. You don't know the players, you don't know the teams. You know what the highlights and the selected narrative tell you.

I always talk to people who have filled out a pool and ask them who is their "sleeper" this year. 90 percent of the people always say Gonzaga. Try this yourself this year and see how right I am. Gonzaga is full of scrappy white kids so they fall into the perfect choice as a "sleeper" even though they have been great for about 10 years straight and everyone knows about them.

I won't watch one minute of college basketball this year, just like every other year, because I could care less. If it weren't for office pools, NCAA Basketball wouldn't even be televised. Congrats, you and the soccer Moms are both watching Jim Nance today on Sportscenter to see who the BRACKET BUSTERS are. Maybe if you are lucky, they will have the boys on Cold Pizza or Around the Horn fill out a bracket on the air with their upset specials. Idiots.

Archived