Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your experience regarding Netflix streaming (quality)...

Springfield

You have a routing issue for sure. You should not be getting timeouts lke that so early in the trace if the problem is Netflix. Not sure if you can with FIOS, but I'd ditch the company router if possible, I kept having intermittent outages with comcast and they assured me it was no problem on their end. I returned their modem, bought a Motorola surfboard and AirPort Extreme and have had zero issues since. Their default position is its your fault or somebody else, never them.

His traceroute isn't that bad.

His speedtest to San Francisco is terrible.

I do agree I think it's the router.

Under your Netflix account profile, what are your playback settings set at?

HD.

They (Netflix tech support) had me change my stream settings to medium and it made no difference.

Also, I would love to buy a router and use it.  I just didn't think that it was possible with Fios.  I was under the assumption that you needed to use their cable modem/router combo.

I ended up ordering the Verizon Fios Advanced Router last night. I guess we will see if that solves my Netflix problem.

If it doesn't, then I'm all out of ideas.

Isn't it a scam...   Same boat.    A verizon tech "dropped" a new advanced router at my house.  I'm going to try to hook it up without being charged.  Screw them.

Isn't it a scam... Same boat. A verizon tech "dropped" a new advanced router at my house. I'm going to try to hook it up without being charged. Screw them.

I have more of a problem with the fact that I am paying $99 for something that apparently used to cost $79. Also, I'm paying $99 for a piece of equipment that isn't all that "advanced". I have the biggest problem with the fact that I can't use equipment of my choosing.

Yes, it's a ****ing scam.

I bet this new router comes in and I still have the same problem with my Netflix.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-02-19/streaming-wars-netflix-traffic-gets-throttled-broadband-companies-leading-unwatchabl

For years, the Netflix streaming business has been growing like a parasite, happy to piggyback on established broadband infrastructures, where the broadband companies themselves have becomes competitors to Netflix for both distribution and content. Until now. Emboldened by the recent Net Neutrality ruling, which has put bandwidth hogs like Netflix which at last check was responsible for over 30% of all downstream US internet traffic...

NFLX%20traffic_0.png

... broadband providers are finally making their move, and in a preliminary salvo whose ultimate compromise will be NFLX paying lots of money, have started to throttle Netflix traffic. The WSJ reports that the war between the broadband-ers and the video streaming company has finally emerged from the "cold" phase and is fully hot.

click link for more...

the caps seem a better solution to me, limiting certain sites is not a good path.

those paying premium prices deserve premium access

I'm not even sure the caps are really necessary at this point.  All the data I've seen show Netflix to use roughly 30% of bandwidth being used.  I have yet to see anything detailing the percentage of available bandwidth that is in use.  For instance is total bandwidth in use 10% of which Netflix uses 30 of that 10, or is bandwidth usage at 90% of which netflix uses 30 of that 90.  If we are at 90 to 100% use I can see caps. 

the caps certainly aren't if they update the lines and systems.

they do give you a better idea of what you are buying though,certainly better than throttling w/o announcing

One thing is if they are throttling a service it needs to be announced with threat of heavy fines, if not announced, and then proven. 

http://money.msn.com/investing/post--feud-over-netflix-traffic-leads-to-video-slowdown

Netflix (NFLX +1.71%) subscribers have seen a lot more spinning wheels lately as they wait for videos to load, thanks to a standoff deep in the Internet.

The online-video service has been at odds with Verizon Communications (VZ +3.25%) and other broadband providers for months over how much Netflix streaming content they will carry without being paid additional fees.

Now the long-simmering conflict has heated up and is slowing Netflix, in particular, on Verizon's fiber-optic FiOS service, where Netflix says its average prime-time speeds dropped by 14 percent last month. The slowdown comes as Netflix is rolling out the new season of its Emmy-winning series "House of Cards."

The pendulum has been swinging toward the carriers in such disputes. In recent years several big Web companies, including Google (GOOG +0.28%), Microsoft (MSFT +0.80%) and Facebook (FB +1.82%), have begun paying major U.S. broadband providers for direct connections that bring faster and smoother access into their networks. Netflix, so far, has held out. (Microsoft owns and publishes Top Stocks, an MSN Money site.)

Last month, a court ruled in favor of Verizon's suit to block the Federal Communications Commission's "net neutrality" rules. The FCC said Wednesday it would not appeal the decision and will instead develop new rules.

While the business disputes between Verizon and Netflix at the heart of the Internet aren't governed by those rules, which require equal treatment of traffic flowing along the "last mile" to customers, the ruling made clear carriers like Verizon face few limits on the terms they can seek at the negotiating table.

Netflix is already eyeing the coming federal review of Comcast's acquisition of Time Warner Cable as an opportunity to push for new requirements on traffic-swapping deals, people familiar with the matter have said.

Regardless of which side gives in, "it's going to cost people money," said Sandvine's Bowman. "They're just waiting to see who blinks first."

Looking at the trace route and the number of hops, wouldn't that be on the ISP?  I remember years ago playing one of my MMORPGs, that I had a ping normally of 15ms to the server I was playing on, sometimes even lower.  Then it was unplayable.  When I did a trace route and pinged the server, my ISP had hopped me to locations where I got god awful pings (like 1300ms and higher), which screwed up the game.

I was with TWC and they were doing maintenance at the hops TWC was using to route me, so it screwed it up.  It was like that for 2-3 weeks, then back to normal.

I'm not sure if it's psychosomatic (due to following your situation) or what, but I've been experiencing real slow Netflix for the last three days. Takes much longer for the show to load and it is stopping several times an hour.  I have Comcast cable internet service and I haven't had issues for the last 4 years and I've had some pretty heavy Netflix use.  Switch to Amazon Prime and there is no delay or problem whatsoever.  Is it Netflix being slammed by all the HoC viewers or Comcast playing with their new non-neutral-net status?  I'll be curious to see how it shakes out.

From what I've read, the two companies that seem to be at odds with Netflix the most are Verizon and Comcast.

Funny anecdote. I got home from work yesterday and the wife was watching Grey's Anatomy. Looked pretty good. It was streaming in 720 HD. Almost as soon as I hit the info button on the remote to see the resolution it was back down to 320 SD.

To me, that's unwatchable. I don't understand how she can stand it.

ISP's get away with this in our country because there is no political will to force them to improve their infrastructure.

It'd be one thing if our ISPs were out performing other countries and it was still not good enough, but that isn't the case.

It's like the ISPs want it both ways, they want to gouge the consumer yet at the same not upgrade their systems and physical infrastructure to at least make the product semi-worth the gouging.

This shouldn't be tolerated by the people, the FCC, the gov't etc etc etc....

ISP's get away with this in our country because there is no political will to force them to improve their infrastructure.

It'd be one thing if our ISPs were out performing other countries and it was still not good enough, but that isn't the case.

It's like the ISPs want it both ways, they want to gouge the consumer yet at the same not upgrade their systems and physical infrastructure to at least make the product semi-worth the gouging.

This shouldn't be tolerated by the people, the FCC, the gov't etc etc etc....

I don't think it's a capacity problem, the owners of the net pipeways are slowing down certain traffic to try to force companies to buy at premium to get good throughput. They want to charge both ends, the consumer and the content provider instead of just the consumer. Being as they own the pipeways and there is no competition in most places they will get it unless regulated.

Archived